[WIP] Von Quest Industries - Diver System

=VQI=

Diver System

DevilDiver - v0.0.1 Alpha

UPDATED: 15 November 2014

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s539/VonQuest/Diver_Project_zps9a749d1d.jpg

logo_vqi_diver_wings1_zps2ea1ed35.jpg

DESCRIPTION:

Work-In-Progress. Brave Men, Dark Waters. This will be the 4th official addon from me for ArmA 3. This will be the last cornerstone of the foundation for my SpookWarCom series. This will focus on the Underwater Environment and the unique elements of the murky and chilling capacity of Combat Diving Operations.

For me, one of the greatest parts of ArmA is the Diving. What an amazing experience for a game. I want to build off the rebreather and add more layers to the SCUBA and explore some deep water possibilities and immersion.

This project will be similar to my HALO Mod, but instead of extreme altitudes, this will focus on extreme mission depths and combat underwater logistics. I want to explore the option of more SCUBA Systems for deep water ops, like salvage, recovery, surveillance, etc. I also will be adding a Submarine or three with the ability to use a Lock-Out Chamber for deploying Spec-Ops, CRRCs and SDVs.

Features:

* Submarine Transport: HMS Proteus

* Submarine Ready Room (Gear-Up)

* Submarine Lock-Out Chamber

* Submarine Exterior Lighting (WIP)

* Lighting: Low, Med, and High Vis

* SDV Mini-Sub (lock & unlock from Sub)

* CRRC Zodiacs (inflate and deploy)

**Note: This is EXPERIMENTAL. You can Enter and Exit from the LOC. Flood and Drain the LOC multiple times. Re-Route of the Submarine possible as well. Multi-Mission capable. Can get a little unstable at times. Use caution. Stay clear of the SDV when Unlocking and Locking, as this is heavy equipment and can injure or kill the player. The same is true for the CRRC. Stay clear when inflating it and especially when detaching it as it will shoot up to the surface when you unlock it. Take care when placing the Sub as it is very hard to find again. GPS recommended for navigation if you want to find, then re-enter the sub.

If playing MP, some features cant be experienced by the client. (I think, untested) Main features have been tested and work fine in MP. The SCUBA and other sections of this Mod are still under development. This part is ready for public testing and feedback. The first LOC broke and I hastily had to re-do it, so this is a "test / low res" version only. I have some better stuff coming as part of a bigger package and Submarine Project.

Check back for updates and progress reports. More TBA later...

"The only easy day was yesterday."

DiveBuddy I:

• details coming soon...

REQUIRED:

1. CBA Required - Community Based Addons A3

FUTURE PLANS:

1. This will be upgraded into a Module Setup, and absorbed into SpookWarCom.

2. TBA

:icon9:KNOWN ISSUES :icon9:

• Slightly unstable at times, especially in MP; everything is WIP!!!
  • Some features and effects may not be experienced by all in MP
  • For MP: The HOST pc should be in control of LOC, Lock/Unlock SDV, etc
  • Submarine is technically too deep for some diver/rebreather opertions
  • SDV can clip through Submarine right now (physx issue?)
  • MP client players are susceptible to slight injury in LOC if touching walls
  • NOT JIP or Respawn friendly; LOC stays flooded if left that way
  • LOC and Ready Room BOTH will flood in this TEST Version
  • Currently NO SCUBA Gear or System is ready or included in this version

DISCLAIMER:

Use-At-Your-Own-Risk! I'm not a professional programmer.

NOTES:

-*Currently Extremely Experimental

Credit & Thanks:

*BIS - for an amazing hobby!

CHANGELOG:

v0.0.1 Experimental

=====================

-testing public release

LICENSE:

*PRIVATE USE ONLY! Any changes or alterations, in whole or in part, in ANY way; is strictly forbidden. Use At Your Own Risk.

(In other words, DO NOT make money off this. And never ever re-release to the public if changes are made. Share in private only, or post suggestions, code, ideas, etc. in forums. Thank You.)

VQI-DevilDiver-v0.0.1:

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Goblin
Update: v0.0.1

I am a DM doing my IE in the next few weeks so if you need theoretical information about pressure changes & effects on humans + physiology side of things and or equipment, do hit me up.

Real life diver here, trained with various agencies, experience with open circuit, twinset, sidemount, ccr and gas blending. The underwater aspect of Arma was something I looked forward to greatly but was disappointed in equal measure. I shall be following this thread with much interest. Thank you for working on it :)

Will VQI-DevilDiver be implementing any dive related physiological aspects and or better diving mechanics, in addition to the mission logistical side?

Wow. Thanks guys!

Now I feel intimidated. I wasn't really planing on going that far. At least not at first. Its on the list but at the bottom. I know NOTHING about Diving. I was going to do more role-play and needing special tanks to dive deeper. In testing another dive mod where you can adjust gas and use 'stops', I think we got a bit bored. I would love to get that detailed, but that would entail more coding than I think I can muster right now.

My focus was going to keep it simple at first with maybe a tank or two and do some simple "if you dive too fast or deep, than there is a multiplier penalty". I mostly wanted to do submarines for transporting divers through a dry dock shelter thing I can build in a 3D model program. I tried to contact the author for that Dive Mod (forget right now) a while back, but did not get a reply. If you guys have ideas, or code, I'm open to it.

The first phase will be (fingers crossed) short and sweet, so I can crank it out in the next two weeks. Then I'll explore more advanced stuff with effects, gas, and things like that. We'll see... ;)

Sounds like a sensible approach, if you're targeting the main stream. I understand your reasoning. Extended deco can be boring at the best of times. I expect hard core stuff like that would be more of a niche interest.

Still, just Lmk if I can be of any help advising.

The other (abandoned as I understand it) dive physiology mod was by Feint, I believe.

ScreenShot of the Lock-Out Chamber for Combat Divers. Coming Soon...

ss_vqi_drydock_chamber_zps44b1363e.png

You should contact Feint and see if you can either work with him on this or use his work as he had a really nice gas computing system for diving with a GUI in place.

I was going to shoot him a PM later on and see if he was indeed not going to finish it. I didn't want any overlap of similar stuff. Plus I want to work and make all my own stuff if possible. He has some amazing projects and is an accomplished Dev. I see his diving project going back to at least 2011. Wow. I wonder why he stopped? If he wants to donate, I'll surly take a peek.

The gas and SCUBA part is a lower priority for me right now. I'm really excited for my submarine and lock-out chamber part of this. Its going fantastic right now. I have the transport setup mostly finished now, with other great stuff like a detachable SDV, ext lighting to work outside the sub, deployable combat rubber raiding craft (crrc) from the sub, a gear-up room before entering and flooding the lock-out chamber before deploying.

Some really super cool stuff!

Edited by Goblin

LOL. Thanks! I just spent 45 minutes playing detective to figure out what you meant.

Rule #6 should be #1, I always say! :cool:

Heh. :cool:

Rule #6 is actually a lot deeper than it sounds, but you get the point ;)

Found a slightly clearer image of the TacNav

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/DNB100-Nav-Board.jpg (240 kB)

Looks like top right is a depth gauge after all and the horizontal tube is a chemlight holder apparently.

Honestly though, I'm not sure why combat divers or any other diver for that matter would want to use one of these. Why not wear these gauges on your arms and keep your hands free for more important stuff? Less clutter, less task loading.

Would a diver be holding this while swimming or is it supposed to be mounted on a SDV or something?

Edited by ACyprus

It's very handy when you navigate and need to hold the course for longer periods. It's very taxing and less precise to hold your arms up infront to constantly watch your gauges and compass that are on your wrists.

Surely hands should usually be up front for better trim and deploying lights etc, with compass/gauges on forearm. In theory, you can take a bearing, note a visible landmark in the distance or topography adjacent to your azt and hold course to that until you need to repeat. Understandably difficult in dark or zero viz, or out in the blue, so ok fair enough.

Where do you stow it when you're not using it?

(question not being contradictory, just curious as I've never come across these before.)

---------

Chopper / Jet / Vehicle too loud to hear comms?

You need Cyprus Push-to-Hear!

Edited by ACyprus

The Nav Board would be great, yes you can use your compass but it would be a lot cooler to have a nav board, even if it is just like the altimeter in the HALO mod.

To ACyprus, this is usually used by special operations dive teams (SEALs, FORECON, MARSOC, etc). As to where it is stored when not in use Id assume possibly in the backpack, I know it is often attached to their wrist not sure with what.

v0.0.1 RELEASED

=================

Features:

-Submarine Transport: HMS Proteus

-Submarine Ready Room (Gear-Up)

-Submarine Lock-Out Chamber

-Submarine Exterior Lighting (WIP)

-Lighting: Low, Med, and High Vis

-SDV Mini-Sub (lock & unlock from Sub)

-CRRC Zodiacs (inflate and deploy)

Download on Main Page. Enjoy! :p

Thanks for informing us of the release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

For me it doesn't work. I did everything whats in the readme-files but I couldn't do anything! >.<

The lock out chamber doesn't flood in MP, but this mod is great so far, so much potential. Can't wait for the full release!