Soldier Tracker patched to Version 2.0.1.

Found a significant error which prevented some of the configurations from taking effect.

File for direct download has been patched and updated in the OP and submitted to armaholic (will take effect soon).

* snip *

Apologies!

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Soldier Tracker updated to Version 2.1.0

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184108-Soldier-Tracker-(-Map-and-GPS-Icons-)&p=2791081&viewfull=1#post2791081

Change log:

- Optimizations enabled by 1.48-introduced script commands.
- Improved admin/debug/dev config option, to draw all units/vehicles/objects if desired.
- Fixed: If you do not want incapacitated shown on the map/gps, their player icon is now invisible (if you use player icons). Prior version, the icon would be purple.
- Fixed: Related to the above re shown wounded, the Group hint card can allow/disallow indication of injured/incapacitated soldiers.
- Tweaked: Hardened against script errors with more isNull checks.
- Added: File for download separate from example mission

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

suggestion

Add ability to have tracker on a flat tv screen so officers in war room watch whats going on in battlefield

• Like 1

suggestion

Add ability to have tracker on a flat tv screen so officers in war room watch whats going on in battlefield

Thanks for the suggestion.

At the moment I'm afraid that is beyond my skill to accomplish :)

I know how to use live feed and PIP effects, but not sure how to create a PIP effect of the map display.

If anyone thinks its possible, feel free to chime in. If do-able I can implement it as a bonus optional feature.

Hi, default mission on vanilla (in mission editor preview) dosen't work, sorry dosen't show any marker on map or gps.

edit: 2.1.1 is working, on armaholic there is the 2.1.0

suggestion

Hey again. 

Still fascinated by this concept.

I have asked some people who I believe are more knowledgeable than I in the 3D / HUD / GUI fields, and no I do not believe this is possible within the scope of vanilla A3. 

The closest thing I can think of, is to have a framed map open when you look at an object, which attempts to stay in the correct location on your screen. Doing this with SQF of course is not ideal and initial attempts make it look rather tacky and unprofessional. 

The only respectable method I have found is simply a 'special' map which opens when you look at the correct object within a specified distance. When it opens, the tracker initializes as it does already. Once the map is closed and/or you move away from the object, you no longer are connected to the tracker and your map becomes simply a map. This is not difficult to code (merely a matter of toggling the (in)visibility of the tracker elements with a couple conditions), but I don't think its within the scope of this script, as that is very custom and niche use.

If its something your unit would like, I can prepare a custom version with the required tweaks.

Brainstorming:

I have not looked into the idea of using similar method as ShackTac HUD uses to draw icons onto your screen with some logic. Would require some pretty hardcore screenToWorld/worldToScreen tricks and in my opinion would probably look tacky. If I had time I'd do some prototyping, but I don't want to commit time to exploring it.

_

In other news, there's an update for this script coming down the pipe, looks around ~3 weeks out. Minor tweaks for stability, further reduction of performance burden (both memory and CPU), related to drawing crewed vehicles, though the burden is already minimal. Might include a custom GUI, which will be optional of course. Also will include optional tracker for the artillery computer and uav terminal interface, though this will increase the performance burden a hair if you enable those.

Regards

Pardon my noobishness but the description says to download the example mission, but when I download the linked file, I only get a QS_icons file. What am I missing here? Thanks.

EDIT: Nope! Just kidding, figured it out.

Hey, trying to get this thing setup for an operation. So far it works excellently, even with respawns, but I have two quick questions:

1. Is there a way to set a delay (like the pulse for units) for Group markers?

2. Is there a way to change the shape or color of markers? I'd consider adding a variable like F3 uses, and allow people to make their own templates to denote Armor/Air/etc units, and differentiate between squads with red/orange/yellow or blue/red/green, etc.

Hey, thanks glad its working for you.

1. No sorry, the way Group Markers(Icons) is done I do not have that type of control. The method used is better performance (you can see it is smoother movement than the unit icons), but not as flexible. I don't have plans to provide an alternative group marker system.

2. Shape and color of the unit markers, or group markers? At this time there is no provision to easily configure the actual marker used for group icons, however if this is desirable I can include it into the next update, to provide ability to configure the actual marker used. Be advised the stability of the system would be up to the user, to ensure the group marker chosen is valid.

There is some work done on the color functions, to separate unit/vehicle and group icon coloring, due in next update. It should already be configurable, however because it is one function, it will color both the unit icons and the group icons. Will have to wait for the update to have separate colors for group and unit icons.

Hey, thanks glad its working for you.

1. No sorry, the way Group Markers(Icons) is done I do not have that type of control. The method used is better performance (you can see it is smoother movement than the unit icons), but not as flexible. I don't have plans to provide an alternative group marker system.

2. Shape and color of the unit markers, or group markers? At this time there is no provision to easily configure the actual marker used for group icons, however if this is desirable I can include it into the next update, to provide ability to configure the actual marker used. Be advised the stability of the system would be up to the user, to ensure the group marker chosen is valid.

There is some work done on the color functions, to separate unit/vehicle and group icon coloring, due in next update. It should already be configurable, however because it is one function, it will color both the unit icons and the group icons. Will have to wait for the update to have separate colors for group and unit icons.

I exclusively use your group markers, and would love to make them as close to F3's (http://ferstaberinde.com/f3/en//images/8/8a/Tut_img_28.png) as possible. Maybe you could give people space at the top to define custom markers for certain groupIDs?

EDIT: Also I'm having some problems with JIP, a moment...

EDIT2: Having problems with getting it to work in initPlayerLocal.sqf in general. It works fine in init.sqf, but if I put it separately in initPlayerLocal and initServer it doesn't work, SP MP or dedicated. Perplexing.

I exclusively use your group markers, and would love to make them as close to F3's (http://ferstaberinde.com/f3/en//images/8/8a/Tut_img_28.png) as possible. Maybe you could give people space at the top to define custom markers for certain groupIDs?

EDIT: Also I'm having some problems with JIP, a moment...

EDIT2: Having problems with getting it to work in initPlayerLocal.sqf in general. It works fine in init.sqf, but if I put it separately in initPlayerLocal and initServer it doesn't work, SP MP or dedicated. Perplexing.

It only need be in "initPlayerLocal.sqf". This file is run for all clients (JIP included) so JIP should not be an issue. Could the problem have arisen after tweaking one of the configs? No script errors/bugs were found in the current version, but there's always a chance something lurks deep in the configs.

Will see what we can do re group markers.

It only need be in "initPlayerLocal.sqf". This file is run for all clients (JIP included) so JIP should not be an issue. Could the problem have arisen after tweaking one of the configs? No script errors/bugs were found in the current version, but there's always a chance something lurks deep in the configs.

Will see what we can do re group markers.

Got it to work with initPlayerLocal.sqf, it was a locality problem. Now if I could find a way to make these markers prettier...

This looks promising, considering ACE3 BFT (ported from AGM) and F3 Map Markers have no proper support for JIP and respawns. Will definitely give this one a try, thanks!

Soldier Tracker updated to Version 2.2.0.

Change log:

- [TWEAKED] Group Icon should no longer change color when unit is captive/incapacitated.
- [TWEAKED] Namespace usage optimizations (thanks commy2 for the suggestions)

- [TWEAKED] General optimizations
- [TWEAKED] Smoother unit/vehicle icon movement
- [ADDED] Support for UAV Terminal and Artillery computer map displays.

Now if I could find a way to make these markers prettier...

I decided against adding custom markers to the general config, as it is a bit too niche. I can show you where in the code to modify to replace the existing with your own. Run a file search for 'b_inf' to locate the section. Keep in mind, custom markers must be defined in CfgMarkers. It is important to keep the orders of those arrays in the logical order they come in, however feel free to switch out for what you like.

Is there a way, or plans to incorporate a way to have individual colors for group members on the map?

We tend to divide squads in, for instance green/red teams, and it would be great to see those colors represented on map as well.

Appreciate the good work, thanks!

Is there a way, or plans to incorporate a way to have individual colors for group members on the map?

We tend to divide squads in, for instance green/red teams, and it would be great to see those colors represented on map as well.

Appreciate the good work, thanks!

Hey, glad you are enjoying.

No there's no plans to integrate team color support at the moment. It also is not so straightforward. Team information is not MP compatible (A3 1.54) and requires extra script assistance to correctly sync team information over network. Next time I poke into the code (3-4 weeks) I'll make further assessment on whether to implement or not.

Hi soldiers,

Just wanted to report this script has received a nice performance optimization due to Killzone_Kids 1.56 tweak of BIS_fnc_inString function, which is called in 17 different places in Soldier Tracker. Already a relatively low-impact system, but still a not insignificant reduction of cpu burden.

Sounds great!

Something else came to mind while doing a ~30 player coop session.

An option to hide group markers for groups with < X amount of players, or groups with just 1 soldier.

Is that feasible and something you'd ever consider?

We've enjoyed the flexibility of this system so far, and look forward to the next release!

Hi 1776 and thank you for your great work ! Our clan really appreciate it. We use the script mostly as an ATC (air traffic control). I'd like to implement the missions virtually linking the execution of the script to a "RADAR building" placed in the editor (varname = "radar_blu"). If the radar building is destroyed the script stops working.

I tried to include the script inside a "while" :  while {alive radar_blu} do { your_script } , but it's not working. Can you help me with  this ? 

Thank you again for your work !

Hi 1776 and thank you for your great work ! Our clan really appreciate it. We use the script mostly as an ATC (air traffic control). I'd like to implement the missions virtually linking the execution of the script to a "RADAR building" placed in the editor (varname = "radar_blu"). If the radar building is destroyed the script stops working.

I tried to include the script inside a "while" :  while {alive radar_blu} do { your_script } , but it's not working. Can you help me with  this ? 

Thank you again for your work !

thanks

it should require just 2-3 lines of code in the right places. are you using the latest version? will PM you the code tweaks and line numbers to insert them on.