SOLDIER TRACKER
by QUIKSILVER

v2.6.0
CREATED: 8/08/2014
UPDATED: 11/10/2023 A3 2.14

Download (GitHub)

VIDEO:

In the video is just one possible configuration. With over 2 dozen ways to configure the script, I'm sure you'll find a sweet spot.

801CBF66EF61B6B0DBAD3868EDCF213D5D8B5BEE

2015-07-03_00007_zpsagpewnoy.jpg
2015-07-03_00006_zpsctz4eh19.jpg

DESCRIPTION:

A system for showing Soldier, Vehicle and Group information on the Map, GPS and HUD.

PURPOSE:

Designed for scenario designers to have a powerful, high-performance and highly flexible solution to presenting player, vehicle and group information on the map, GPS and HUD interfaces.

FEATURES:

- Maximum performance. When your Map is closed, so is the script.
- A documentation file accompanies the script.

- Optimized for TvT, PvP, Co-op, SP, MP.
- Large selection of flexible configuration options.
- No Mod dependencies, is fully vanilla compatible.
- Fully MP / Dedicated / SP / Host-Server Compatible.
- Debug / Development setting to reveal all objects, vehicles and units.
- Are you an admin? Log in as admin to reveal all units, if you configure it to do so.
- Integrated with BIS Dynamic Groups for dynamic group naming.
- Integrated with 3rd Party Medical systems including BIS and ACE 3 Systems.
- Can choose to show Only Groups and No vehicle/unit positions, or not.
- Can choose to show Only Groups + Vehicle positions (No unit positions).
- Can choose to show Only Unit/Vehicle positions (No group markers).
- Can choose to show Only Vehicle positions (No unit or group information).
- Can choose to show selected unoccupied vehicles.
- Can choose to show or hide AI details across all interfaces.
- Can choose to show or hide Unit Roles and vehicle types.
- Can choose to show only icons and no names / vehicle types / roles, or both.
- Can choose to show friendly factions, or not.
- Can choose to show civilians, or not.
- Can allow faction alliance changes to affect what is shown.
- Can have Interactive Map Icons (Reveal occupants of vehicle by clicking on the occupied vehicle).
- Can have Interactive Group Icons (Reveal more group details by clicking on the Group leader).
- Can have a delayed unit position update (Sonar Pulse effect), if desired. Only works for Map Icons. GPS and group Icons are always shown real-time.
- Configure the colors and sizes and positioning of the Icons (relative to the object) to your liking.
- Intuitive map zoom integration.
- Zooming in and out on your map will hide and reveal certain (group/unit/vehicle) elements.
- And more ...

FUTURE DEVELOPMENT:

- On-demand User-requested features.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Download the example mission, open the .pbo and copy the relevant files to your own mission. Follow instructions within the file itself.

It is advised to Disable 'Extended Map Info' in your servers difficulty if you are using this script. ExtendedInfoType=0; (arma3Profile). https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server

Read the accompanying documentation file to learn more.

PM or post here if you are having any issues.

PERMISSIONS:

This work is released under Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No-Derivs license.

You have permission to use the script, and do not require further permissions from the author. Do not remove or alter the credits.

Copyright © 2015 

SUGGESTIONS / FEEBACK / BUG REPORTS:

Post your suggestions, feedback and bug reports here, or get in touch with me by PM.

KNOWN ISSUES:

v2.6.0

- None at this time

v2.5.0

- None at this time

v2.4.0

- None at this time

v2.3.0

- None at this time

v2.2.0

- None at this time

v2.1.1
- None at this time

v2.1.0
- Script not initializing when player is also the host/server. To fix your copy, on line 32, change ' if (isServer) exitWith {}; ' to ' if (isDedicated) exitWith {}; '

v2.0.0
- v2.0.0 has a small but significant error, see this post to apply the fix yourself, or download the resolved v2.0.1
- When interactive group Map icons are enabled, you have to click on the squad leader, not the actual icon. The squad leader may be offset slightly from the icon (configurable).
- If 2 Groups leaders are in the same vehicle, their Group Icons and Group Icon Text will overlap. There is no easy solution to this issue.
- When clicking on a vehicle to expand and reveal its crew occupants, it sometimes selects the wrong vehicle (if two are close by) or none at all.
The click detection spot is actually 50m north and to the west of where the person clicks the map/where the vehicle is. If there are 2 vehicles very near each other, this is useful to know.
I'll try to address this issue for v2.1
- Some of the configuration options may nullify one another, especially those with 'Only' in the variable name. In future versions I'll make the config options more modular.
- [RESOLVED] Group card hint can remain displayed for a short time after the map has been closed, if the player closes the map while viewing the Group card.

- [iNVESTIGATING] Group Icon color may sometimes not change back after the group leader has been wounded.
- [iNVESTIGATING] Some group icon ergonomics can appear sluggish in big game modes with lots of groups. This is because there is a slight delay (sleep) while iterating through the array of groups to scan. More groups = more time to finish the loop and take care of the ergonomics. A trade-off between performance and aesthetics. Will investigate ways of optimizing this.

CHANGE LOG:

v2.6.0

- GPS icons now display correctly when GPS is used in rotation mode ( ctrl + ] )

- Mod compatibility, no longer relies on vanilla GPS item (will detect whatever is in that inventory slot instead).

- UAV/remote-controlled-unit detection. Correctly shows player name who is actively remote controlling a unit/drone, even without UAV terminal.

v2.5.0

- Significant GPS-tracker performance optimization
 - Default font changed to 'TahomaB' from 'puristaMedium'
 - Optimizations to Group Icons system
 - Group Icons more responsive when map is just opened (removes the delay that occurs sometimes).
 - Map clicking to show vehicle crew is significantly improved.
 - Group/Squad/Team integration extended.
 - Support for Team colors
 - Hold [shift] and click on a grouped unit on the map, to select that unit in command mode (same as pressing F1,F2,F3,...)
 - Optional GPS Item requirement for Map/GPS/Group icons
 - Optimization using params+private keyword in recursive functions

v2.4.0

- [ADDED] Support for new A3 1.70 custom panels (GPS)

- [TWEAKED] Using new Mission Event Handlers (search file for 'addMissionEventHandler' to locate)

- [FIXED] Small bug with showing incapacitated units with BIS Revive and vanilla incapacitation.

v2.3.0

- [TWEAKED] Optimized evaluation of UAV units.

- [ADDED] Support for new BI Revive and improved Unconsciousness state.

v2.2.0

- [TWEAKED] Group Icon should no longer change color when unit is captive/incapacitated.
- [TWEAKED] Namespace usage optimizations
- [TWEAKED] Smoother unit/vehicle icons
- [TWEAKED] General optimizations.
- [ADDED] Support for UAV Terminal and Artillery computer map displays.

v2.1.1
- Fixed: Script not initializing when the player is also the host/server.

v2.1.0
- 1.48-related optimizations
- improved debug/developer config setting to draw all units/vehicles/objects, if the 'show all' config is set > 0. (eg: _QS_ST_showAll = 2;)
- enhanced protection against script errors associated with the script trying to draw icons of null objects and null groups.
- when configuration 'draw wounded/incapacitated units' is FALSE, wounded are now invisible, and available for marking/tagging with another system.
- Group detail hint popup, no longer indicates units as injured/incapacitated if the above-mentioned config is set to FALSE.
- making use of new allPlayers command.
- making use of new setGroupIdGlobal command.

v2.0.1
- Patched a small but significant error.

v2.0.0
- A ****load of new features and content.
- Group icons system.

v1.0.2
- A couple optimizations and streamlining.
- Patched an error with respect to vehicle driver name.

v1.0.1
- Corrected a loophole whereby players subject to most medical systems were not visible when in unconscious/wounded state.

v1.0.0
- Public release

THIRD PARTY CREDIT:

- aeroson. Early design inspired by aeroson's Dynamic Player Markers script. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?156103-Dynamic-Player-Markers
- Killzone Kid. For beginners tutorial: http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-how-to-draw-icon-on-map/

- Sa-Matra

DONATE:

Donations are not expected at all, but appreciated. 🙂

Donate (Patreon)

DOWNLOAD LINK:

Download (GitHub)

Cheers! 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for sending us the release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account (Quiksilver, right?) on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Updated (to 1.0.1 from 1.0.0)

v1.0.1 UPDATE

- Corrected a loophole whereby players subject to most medical systems were not visible when in unconscious/wounded state.

Thanks again for sending us the release :cool:

We have also "connected" these pages to your account (Quiksilver, right?) on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

Great work! :)

Would be great if there would be any additional parameters like what units yo u want to show: ["player","ai","allsides"]

Edited by 7rust

Great work! :)

Would be great if there would be any additional parameters like what units yo u want to show: ["player","ai","allsides"]

Thanks.

v1.0.2 will be released in a couple days, with a couple optimizations and a very basic config set. Depending on feedback this weekend from a couple communities and here, I'll also seek to incorporate some of the more agreeable ideas.

v1.0.2 released.

- A couple optimizations and streamlining.

- Patched an error with respect to vehicle driver name. First driver of vehicle was displayed for all future drivers of that vehicle.

- Responded to community feedback, removed distance limit for player name display. Will re-integrate at a later date as config option.

- No config options in 1.0.2, haven't had the time to properly test it to ensure it is resistant to bugs/exploits/misuse.

- Testing out a couple of the more simple/robust advanced features, to roll out in 1.0.3 or 1.0.4.

v1.0.2 should be considered the first error-free version. v1.0.0 and v1.0.1 had a couple anomalies.

If your community/mission is using, feel free to send me a PM and if you'd like I'll put your server IP/mission link above as shown.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Thanks for sending us the updated release again :cool:

You could use the faction colors by using colorOPFOR, colorBLUFOR ect. instead of generating the specific color using a rgb code (in: QS_fnc_iconColor) :)

Thanks for your work :)

I really love this script!

I was wondering if it is possible to really end the script/loop when you have been killed. For now it seems to run in an endless loop. Even if I use exitWith{} or use a second condition in your while-loop, the markers reappear after respawning.

Hope someone can help me.

schmingo

I really love this script!

I was wondering if it is possible to really end the script/loop when you have been killed. For now it seems to run in an endless loop. Even if I use exitWith{} or use a second condition in your while-loop, the markers reappear after respawning.

Hope someone can help me.

schmingo

You want the player to lose their access to the script after death?

clientEhKilledDraw = player addEventHandler ["Killed",{ ((findDisplay 12) displayCtrl 51) ctrlRemoveEventHandler ["Draw",clientEhDrawMap]; QS_gps ctrlRemoveEventHandler ["Draw",clientEhDrawGps]; player removeEventHandler ["Killed",clientEhKilledDraw];}];

Also for that to work on the GPS display, you will need to go into the initialization section, and find every entry of '_gps'. Change them all to 'QS_gps'.

Insert that line into the scripts initialization area, right at the bottom of the block.

Also, just for others reading. It is not running in an endless loop, it is using event handlers to determine whether to run the code or not. When your map and GPS are closed, there are zero evaluations and zero CPU usage. I suppose it seems like an endless loop as the event handlers remain after death unless removed manually.

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

You could use the faction colors by using colorOPFOR, colorBLUFOR ect. instead of generating the specific color using a rgb code (in: QS_fnc_iconColor) :)

Thanks for your work :)

Thanks!

It uses RGBA in order to control the alpha. There is a subtle system for showing members of your group in a slightly higher alpha than non-group-members. Also it allows the player to fine-tune the color without much tweaking. "colorWest", "colorX" are nice but slightly less flexible.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Thanks for your help!

But I've found my own way out of the loop. For me, the GPS is attached to a vehicle. If it has been destroyed, the GPS is not available anymore.

//===== INIT GPS (waits for GPS to open)

disableSerialization;
_gps = controlNull;
while {isNull _gps and alive _vehicle} do {
       {

Thanks for your help!

But I've found my own way out of the loop. For me, the GPS is attached to a vehicle. If it has been destroyed, the GPS is not available anymore.

//===== INIT GPS (waits for GPS to open)

disableSerialization;
_gps = controlNull;
while {isNull _gps and alive _vehicle} do {
       {

cheers

if it works then it works,

but that loop is only waiting for the GPS to open the first time, before applying the event handler. Once that event handler is applied, that loop terminates. The event handler and icons on GPS display will remain until manually removed or the player exits the session. If the player finds a GPS lying around, that will be sufficient to continue using the GPS icons. Also the map icons are a separate, parallel system to the GPS icons.

Going to release a small update of the Soldier Tracker system on Monday.

If there are any suggestions / requests / constructive criticisms, now is the time and if they're reasonable and solid, I'll address them over the weekend.

New features coming:

1. More config options and variables.

- Do you want these hard-coded from the beginning, or configurable in-session? Hard-coded provides better security protection from exploitation, but less flexibility.

2. Intuitive display.

- There were some comments awhile ago that when many units were in one area it became hard to see, with all the names/vehicle classes overlapping. This has been addressed in an intuitive manner using existing tools.

3. Slightly better performance, though insignificant.

4. Admin override.

- Log in as admin and display all units and details, irrespective of side/faction/distance.

5. (Maybe, depending on community request) Group-only display.

- Don't want all units marked with 100% precision? Configure so only group leaders are marked, with a group icon instead of unit icon.

6. (Maybe, depending on community request) Want 'targeted' enemies to be displayed? Configure to integrate with Squad Leader targeting system.

MDCCLXXVI,

First off, amazing job with the script as it currently is. I have enjoyed utilizing it within my own missions/servers as well as making use of this script across various other public and private servers. Please excuse my comments if you have in fact already include this functionality and I have missed it. I have a few comments on features that I feel would be useful as well as some general comments and props.

Ability to see persistent markers of all players (on their own side, personally we only play as one faction)/vehicles utilized by players (specifically those placed in the editor with the intended use to be for the players)

Example/Use-case: Maps that have vehicles set to respawn only when destroyed. This gives the players the ability to setup FOBs with vehicles (HEMMTs with the ability (scripts) to load Huron containers and otherwise). Also if players take vehicles off to a distant AO or objective and happen to get gunned down and eventually get medivac'd out the ability to have a constant marker on vehicles would be fantastic. Either explicitly for vehicles or also to include items like support Huron containers and so on). Often times we see vehicles getting lost out in the world, and it becomes a search and rescue mission, while this can be fun it would be great to have the ability to toggle persistent tags on vehicles as well as players/groups.

Frankly this is simply a feature my group is very interested in having and your script as of current provides the majority of functionality for this to happen from what we can tell. Perhaps there's a few configuration options I can change on the current revision of this script and if there is I apologize sincerely for not having noticed that and would appreciate any insight. If this is currently not implemented I feel it is a feature that could be quite useful. You have made a great and interesting script so far and see this extended in any regard is viewed as nothing but a positive by myself and my group.

Thanks

MDCCLXXVI,

First off, amazing job with the script as it currently is. I have enjoyed utilizing it within my own missions/servers as well as making use of this script across various other public and private servers. Please excuse my comments if you have in fact already include this functionality and I have missed it. I have a few comments on features that I feel would be useful as well as some general comments and props.

Ability to see persistent markers of all players (on their own side, personally we only play as one faction)/vehicles utilized by players (specifically those placed in the editor with the intended use to be for the players)

Example/Use-case: Maps that have vehicles set to respawn only when destroyed. This gives the players the ability to setup FOBs with vehicles (HEMMTs with the ability (scripts) to load Huron containers and otherwise). Also if players take vehicles off to a distant AO or objective and happen to get gunned down and eventually get medivac'd out the ability to have a constant marker on vehicles would be fantastic. Either explicitly for vehicles or also to include items like support Huron containers and so on). Often times we see vehicles getting lost out in the world, and it becomes a search and rescue mission, while this can be fun it would be great to have the ability to toggle persistent tags on vehicles as well as players/groups.

Frankly this is simply a feature my group is very interested in having and your script as of current provides the majority of functionality for this to happen from what we can tell. Perhaps there's a few configuration options I can change on the current revision of this script and if there is I apologize sincerely for not having noticed that and would appreciate any insight. If this is currently not implemented I feel it is a feature that could be quite useful. You have made a great and interesting script so far and see this extended in any regard is viewed as nothing but a positive by myself and my group.

Thanks

Hi,

I am glad you are enjoying the script. Was supposed to release the next version, but delayed for script reasons as well as RL and other-project reasons.

- Addressing security concerns from #1 above.

- Finishing off #5 to a high standard.

- Applying #6 to PvP/TvT, in addition to AI/COOP.

The first two will be sorted quickly once I pop the .sqf open again. The third, re marking enemies on the map, may take some more time so will omit from this update until it's done and robust (hate patching stuff!).

Regarding the ability to see abandoned vehicles, I think this is not the best system for that purpose. Sure it can be done, somewhat easily, but there is a high cost to doing so. Right now the script loops through all units in the scenario and filters down to only the ones which should be displayed. In order to see those abandoned vehicles, it would have to loop through all vehicles in the scenario, in addition to all the units. This represents a much larger array of objects to iterate through, meaning higher performance cost.

Roughly, how do you assess a vehicle as being abandoned?

I won't be including vehicle tracking in the default, but can walk you through making that modification yourself using the next version.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Hi guys,

Working on an update for this script after some requests. The main feature is introduction of an alternative group-only system, more config options and better performance of the current vehicle/unit icons.

If there are ideas of how you want it to work, let me know.

At the moment it is shaping to be almost two different scripts. One for the player icons, and other for the group icons.

Should there be some merge of the two, such as allowing the ability for only group leaders to see unit icons, while non-leaders only see group icons? At the moment either one system can run or the other. If group icons are running, unit/vehicle icons cannot. If unit/vehicle icons are running, group icons cannot. Is this good or is there desire for something else?

Also, is there desire for it to mimic the built-in system of having icons for known enemies under certain conditions? I won't work on this unless there is some interest.

If no input from you, I'll explore the option to allow both to run at the same time with some conditions (IE only squad leaders get the unit icons), but if it seems difficult or prone to bugs/failure I won't. However, if there is desire for something like that, I'll put a bit more T&E into it. ETA is 3-4 days.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Hi guys,

Working on an update for this script after some requests. The main feature is introduction of an alternative group-only system, more config options and better performance of the current vehicle/unit icons.

If there are ideas of how you want it to work, let me know.

At the moment it is shaping to be almost two different scripts. One for the player icons, and other for the group icons.

Should there be some merge of the two, such as allowing the ability for only group leaders to see unit icons, while non-leaders only see group icons? At the moment either one system can run or the other. If group icons are running, unit/vehicle icons cannot. If unit/vehicle icons are running, group icons cannot. Is this good or is there desire for something else?

Also, is there desire for it to mimic the built-in system of having icons for known enemies under certain conditions? I won't work on this unless there is some interest.

If no input from you, I'll explore the option to allow both to run at the same time with some conditions (IE only squad leaders get the unit icons), but if it seems difficult or prone to bugs/failure I won't. However, if there is desire for something like that, I'll put a bit more T&E into it. ETA is 3-4 days.

For me is better in this way.

From a distance you see only a icon with name of TEAM , when you zoom in you see all player with name ext ext.

In this way is much more orderly and useful.

And for me this ( " If group icons are running, unit/vehicle icons cannot. If unit/vehicle icons are running, group icons cannot " ) is bad.

Everyone must have the opportunity to see where their comrades.

If it is configured to only show Group markers, should also some vehicle markers be displayed?

For instance, if there are 3-4 pilots in the air and only pilot is a group leader, 3 of the helicopters may be 'invisible' with only group markers. Should some types of vehicle be shown even if vehicle/unit markers are not generally enabled?

For me is better in this way.

From a distance you see only a icon with name of TEAM , when you zoom in you see all player with name ext ext.

In this way is much more orderly and useful.

Unfortunately this is not feasible for this update. Once this one is released and doing well I'll consider this level of integration.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Soldier Tracker updated to Version 2.0.0.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184108-Soldier-Tracker-(-Map-and-GPS-Icons-)&p=2791081&viewfull=1#post2791081

Original post updated documentation.

Report any issues / bugs / comments / suggestions.

Will be supporting this script with fast fixes/etc for the next few weeks, if any issues arise post them here and I'll jump on them.

Done.

Ability to show certain unoccupied vehicles on the map if configured accordingly.

how can I change to Group-only display?

Done.

Group-Only display has been introduced in this update. Adjust the built-in configuration to your liking.

Done.

Zoom out 100% to hide everything. Zoom in slightly = Reveals only group icons. Zoom in more = Reveal unit icons. Zoom in more = reveal unit details (name and class if configured). Etc. Edited by MDCCLXXVI
  • Like 1

Sweet!

I have been using a slightly modified version in my most recent slew of missions. Players enjoy the features very much :)

- k

Thanks for the update. This looks like a solid update and I look forward to exploring the new features!

Much appreciated!