Sign in to follow this  
strannix

ARMA 3 Performance Issues & Questions Help!

Hi

I recently upgraded my computer in order to get a better ARMA Experience, right now I'm not really noticing much difference upgrading from a dualcore to a quad, can someone help/guide me on what settings to enable/disable?

System Specs:

CPU Model: Intel i7-4790K 4.0Ghz (Stock Clock)

Graphics Card: Asus 6950 Direct CU II 2GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X G3

Ram: Corsair 6GB

Storage: Solid State Drive Samsung 120GB

Power Supply: Jeantech 800w Storm

Operating System: Win7 (64-Bit)

Settings Config General

Sampling: 100%

Texture: High

Objects: High

Terrain: High

Shadow: High

Particles: high

Cloud: High

PIP: High

HDR: Standard

Dynamic Lights: High

Settings Display & AA/PP

Ao: SSAO Standard

Caustics: Enabled

Vsync: Enabled

FSAA: x4

ATOC: All Trees + Grass

PPAA: FXAA Standard

ANISO Filtering: Standard

ARMA 3 Steam Launcher Config

CPU Count on 4 and Exthreads on 7.

Frame rate indicator keeps giving me 30-40FPS with some drops to 15 at times and the processor is only ever under around 20-50% load with three cores. How much difference am I going to see by overclocking my CPU to 4.8Ghz? can ARMA take advantage of a six core cpu?

-Strannix

What's your view distance? And object distance? I think that your GPU might limit the experience for you. Your CPU is one of the best out there so it's probably your GPU and maybe your view distance.

I would recommend AO and caustics off, as well as pip off and cloud low... I'm biased against pip cuz I get the nvidia flickering so it is just plain irritating having it on

Imo, gain in visual no where near offsets the increase in fps

My draw distance is 2400 and object distance is 1500.

Fps 50+ all the way up to 70 depending on mission. All SP of course.

I have my cpu oc'd and it does make a difference although cooling will be a factor

Draw distance 2500 and object distance 1500, still only getting around 25-30fps with drops. Im thoughtful about upgrading my GPU but im afraid it wont make any difference to getting better performance in ARMA.

Draw distance 2500 and object distance 1500, still only getting around 25-30fps with drops. Im thoughtful about upgrading my GPU but im afraid it wont make any difference to getting better performance in ARMA.

What mission you're playing? How much is your GPU usage?

20:54 EATONM62 Good day, I have been reading your replies on some of the threads in the BS forums to do with how Arma 3 uses a computers resources. I have a question that I would very much appreciate an answer to - I am currently running 2 Nvidia 780s in SLI along with a Intel i7 2600K and my frame rates drop to about 25 Fps when in a game with quite a bit of Ai

20:56 EATONM62 I makes up stuff in the editor and play on my own. I was wondering if a better processor would help with better frame rates such as a 6 core intel rather than the 4 core I am using currently.

21:09 Dwarden well it may help, but not as much

21:10 Dwarden Arma games are very hungry on IPC (instructions per clock) so the core which runs primary thread, needs as highest as possible frequency

21:10 Dwarden i always keep saying 4Ghz i5/i7 is needed but ofcourse not everyone can have that

21:11 Dwarden anyway if you observe performance drops

21:11 Dwarden best is wait for e.g. new update like upcoming 1.22

21:11 Dwarden then create repro mission where you demonstrate that there is too high FPS drop even with small amount o AI

21:11 Dwarden and post it on Arma 3 Feedback Tracker

21:11 Dwarden so QA can check it out

21:12 Dwarden key is make the repro simple, description simple and explanatory to boe

21:12 Dwarden bone

21:17 EATONM62 Thanks for taking the time to reply. My i7 is running 4.5Ghz at the moment.

21:18 Dwarden ye then it's more likely either bug or some scripting issue

21:18 Dwarden i suggest you always try that in the DEV branch

21:18 Dwarden to be sure the bug isn't already fixed

21:19 Dwarden sometimes fixes or new features take more than 1 patch to appear in STABLE

21:19 Dwarden so e.g. stuff in 1.19 DEV, is still in 1.21 DEV but it's not in 1.20 stable as it may get into 1.22 STABLE

21:19 Dwarden cause for w/e reason it wasn't deemed stable enough

21:22 EATONM62 I am going to try changing to the Dev version and re make my mission in the editor to see if it changes anything.

I have played about with settings and it doesn't really help much. Also, I never got round to fully testing the Dev version.

If you had no increase by turning pip off then it may be a separate issue. Have you verified the steam files.

When I first built my pc I must have spent many hours using helo's arma mark mission to figure out what setting did what.

I seriously made a spread sheet with every setting adjustment and logged the fps. I highly recommend this mission for testing the various settings.

and just to confirm your fps is 25 in sp? I would have thought that that cpu with an ssd would yield more than 25 fps in singleplayer

I got a nice little boost from fred41's memory malloc but this would be for users comfortable with the windows registry

-

turn off Vsync. that boosts your FPS a lot. but this game is never good at performance. Always there are problems related to it even when you have high end GPU!

I have somewhat similar CPU.. 4770k. Here is what works for me, your mileage may vary :)

I max out every setting except for no shadows (a lot of people don't play with them enabled and using them is just disadvantage for you at that point) and low clouds.

Draw is 1600/1200/50 (higher settings will make you CPU-limited on most maps). I don't use vsync, but I also have 144hz panel and can get >70fps on decent servers.

1. I would try to get at least a 4.3 - 4.4 OC going, if you have a decent aftermarket cooler (I have ran 4.3 for almost a year, no issues.

2. What is your mem speed? I would opt for 2133 with best timings you can achieve with good stability.

3. 6GB seems strange, typo? You have two 3GB sticks? What is model of kit?

4. D/L GPU Shark and let it run in the background while running the Altis 0.6 benchmark scenario. It will catch max GPU usage + mem usage(alt-tab out to see instant vram usage, as it only captures max GPU utilization over time), what are you getting with your current settings, what do you get with settings I mentioned?

I would need to see GPU shark results and what your FPS results are for this benchmark. Maybe you need GPU upgrade, but probably not with high-settings vs. Ultra. Key is to see >90% utilization of your GPU to even begin to talk about needing an upgrade in that dept. for >90%, you would need to see that in benchmark and for maps/servers that you commonly play. Consistent <80% simply means you are limited by either server-side issues or CPU/Mem bandwidth and latency.

I spent a lot of time in Single Player and editor to find best settings for my build (so at least when I get bad FPS now I know its either server-side issues or simply too much AI)

My specs (with my settings I get 74-76fps on Altis benchmark w/ shadows set to Ultra as well, clouds still low)

4770k @ 4.3

8GB 2133

2x 770 SLI 4GB (I get 2.3-2.8GB of usage with max settings @ 1080p)

256GB Samsung SSD

750w P/S

Edited by stang725

GPU-Z Stats (Max) On OP: Phoenix Dolly 5+3 SP+MP 8p Hostage Scenario

GPU usage: 1963mb

Core Clock: 725Mhz

Mem Clock: 1250Mhz

Temp: 53c

Here's the mission SQF: http://pastebin.com/sef5cvaD

MODS Needed:

African Conflict + Nato & Russians Weapons Pack

C130

FA18

USS Nimitz

I do plan to make a none modded version of the mission with the exception of the AF mod, spent allot of time making this and its not to bad if you can get it to load. My comp runs it at the frames mentioned.

I got a nice little boost from fred41's memory malloc but this would be for users comfortable with the windows registry

-

I need to try this, will check out.

I have my cpu oc'd and it does make a difference although cooling will be a factor

I got the Aplofrohn Brocken 2 but im new to overclocking. :rolleyes:

3. 6GB seems strange, typo? You have two 3GB sticks? What is model of kit?

Only really upgrade when the times requires it, but ill invest in some new memory sticks soon for dual channel efficiency. Right now I might as well just have 2GB rather than 3.