Sign in to follow this  
DarkkShadow0

Requesting an update on Java integration

I clearly recall BI promising to integrate Java into Arma 3 at some point. I was keeping up with any news throughout Alpha, then Beta, and I was not overly concerned when nothing was happening on the subject. After all during early development they had other things to worry about. Now however, some time after release (with DLCs on the way) I decided to revisit my research into Java integration. I was a little surprised to realize that no information is available anywhere on the availability or even status of this feature. Being able to find only old threads and little to no actual information (other then several vague references to Take on Java for TOH on the wiki), I would now like to ask; Has Java for A3 been officially cancelled? Is there any news coming from BI on the subject?

I am usually good with thorough internet searches, but have I missed some sort of update on the subject from BI?

Anyway I love Arma and am comfortable with SQF, but Java integration sounds like a great idea. Thanks to OOP I think it would be easier to develop complex (and awesome) missions. Any substantiated information on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Also I realize that several similar threads on this topic exist, however they are old, long and filled mostly with speculation. I, on the other hand, am looking for an actual update on the status of the implementation of this feature.

Regards,

Tomasz

BI doesn't make statements any longer unfortunately.

They were unhappy about the criticism they got for not delivering "promised" stuff.

Anyhow I think its fair to say you can accept Java FM integration as being canceled.

However you may want to look into the language extensions people have built within SQF or

to standard programming languages via call extension.

You find them mostly announced in the tools forum:

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?171-ARMA-3-Community-Made-Utilities

I have seen the extension you mentioned. I think full-blown Java integration would offer more, but I guess these are a step in the right direction. Far be it for me to criticise BI , but I am a little disappointed by this Java business. Oh well. Arma is still great, with or without Java.

Thanks for the suggestion.

To throw in my two cents, I doubt Bohemia has given up on any sort of integration. It might not be java, but as Bohemia will need to support Arma 3 until the next game, improvements are going to be needed.