Sign in to follow this  
TSAndrey

Why do we have do download missions we already have?!

When you play coop with friends, you're forced to download missions you already have downloaded. Why? If we both subscribed to the same workshop mission, why should I be forced to redownload it from the host?! Yes, it gets even worse, because not only do you have to redownload it, you have to download it from the host, not the Steam servers. Good luck downloading a 60MB mission, it takes like 20 minutes!

Change this BI!

Edited by TSAndrey

I don't really see why that mission is 60MBs, probably filled with unnecessary "cool HD textures".

Whatever, you don't have to do that if you all put the mission in your "MPMissions" folder, so nobody has to download a mission they already have, BI has that feature in since ArmA 2, and probably had it even before. The "MPMissions" folder is located in ArmA 3's core folder, you can't miss it. First you'll have to find where Steam downloads those mission .pbos, and than copy that in to the MPMission folder. So go ahead and change it yourself for once!

I don't really see why that mission is 60MBs, probably filled with unnecessary "cool HD textures".

Whatever, you don't have to do that if you all put the mission in your "MPMissions" folder, so nobody has to download a mission they already have, BI has that feature in since ArmA 2, and probably had it even before. The "MPMissions" folder is located in ArmA 3's core folder, you can't miss it. First you'll have to find where Steam downloads those mission .pbos, and than copy that in to the MPMission folder. So go ahead and change it yourself for once!

So much hassle just to play? No thanks, it's up to BI to fix their game

Not that it bothers me too much personally but speaking efficiency wise, it should initiate download from the steam servers and not the coop host - assuming of course the mission has been originally sourced there.

Also, copying cached pbo missions to the MP folder is not in any way simple nor intuitive for the non clued up gamer and so should not be a requisite step.

Edited by ACyprus

Also, copying cached pbo missions to the MP folder is not in any way simple nor intuitive for the non clued up and so should be a requisite step.

Nope. Not the cached missions, the original one steam downloads. There is a bit of difference such as: Don't need to access a hidden folder using "run". It's just copy file from folder A to B. Non clued up? More like too much of an asshole. Instead of making this stupid thread, he could go copy the mission...

I also agree Steam Workshop integration is really bad, but there is a simple solution for that. I never the use the workshop, and problem is solved. Not like I'm missing any high quality content, all of that is either here, in ArmAHolic, or in Play With Six. Definitely not in Steam Workshop though. I mean generally the Workshop is a great concept which I use for any game except ArmA 3. It's just too sloppy to use. You know it's going to be broken when you use it, it's like going to Chernobyl and complaining to Ukraine about the radiation, then blaming the Russians.

So much hassle just to play? No thanks, it's up to BI to fix their game
It more looks like it's up to author of 60MB mission to fix his common sense.

Non clued up? More like too much of an asshole. Instead of making this stupid thread,

Perhaps. No need to insult the guy though. He wasn't attacking you personally.

Nope. Not the cached missions, the original one steam downloads. There is a bit of difference such as: Don't need to access a hidden folder using "run". It's just copy file from folder A to B. Non clued up? More like too much of an asshole. Instead of making this stupid thread, he could go copy the mission...

I also agree Steam Workshop integration is really bad, but there is a simple solution for that. I never the use the workshop, and problem is solved. Not like I'm missing any high quality content, all of that is either here, in ArmAHolic, or in Play With Six. Definitely not in Steam Workshop though. I mean generally the Workshop is a great concept which I use for any game except ArmA 3. It's just too sloppy to use. You know it's going to be broken when you use it, it's like going to Chernobyl and complaining to Ukraine about the radiation, then blaming the Russians.

Why does every single thing in this game have to have a workaround? Can't something just work?! Yes, I can go copy the files, but the point is I shouldn't have to. It should be a basic game thing not to download a mission you already have, especially not from the host!

I'm not a fan of the workarounds or constant problems either. I offered you a solution for a problem even when you didn't ask for a solution, and was just complaining with that "BI fix it pls" behavior, then I went aggressive because every 1/5 of the new threads are complaints, and when you offer a solution everyone goes "But we shouldn't have to do that". After a point it gets irritating. Semiconductor made a well point. I don't know what you and your friends are thinking about the 60MB mission, but I can assure you it's not going to be worth it. The far-most-extreme-limit of a mission size ever should be single digit.

I don't know what you and your friends are thinking about the 60MB mission, but I can assure you it's not going to be worth it. The far-most-extreme-limit of a mission size ever should be single digit.

The mission is Doomsday night. I don't know why it's so big, but that doesn't change anything

It's clearly a non efficient designed mission, as some have said before a mission should be 1-5 MB.

So it's more an "author"'s issue.

It's clearly a non efficient designed mission, as some have said before a mission should be 1-5 MB.

So it's more an "author"'s issue.

As I said, those are just silly workarounds. This game shouldn't rely so heavily on capable mission makers/modders. Just the same thing as with MP optimization: unless the mission is heavily optimized, you're gonna get 20 FPS. Good luck finding an optimized mission...

As I said, those are just silly workarounds. This game shouldn't rely so heavily on capable mission makers/modders. Just the same thing as with MP optimization: unless the mission is heavily optimized, you're gonna get 20 FPS. Good luck finding an optimized mission...

That's not the game fault or missdesign, A3 is only a "tool". And as all tools everyone can use as they want, for what it's intended and some force its capabilities.

It's like if you use a Ferrari to tow a huge truck.

Is a Ferrari intended to tow heavy cargo? Nope. Is Ferrari's fault or the driver that wanted to use it for something it's not meant to be used.

Same happens with Arma3. Missions are meant to be really small, all the extras should be added in addons.

We are not talking about capabable mission makers... a mission that weights 60MB is clearly among silliness! You should be happy that the game can even play it.

That's not the game fault or missdesign, A3 is only a "tool". And as all tools everyone can use as they want, for what it's intended and some force its capabilities.

It's like if you use a Ferrari to tow a huge truck.

Is a Ferrari intended to tow heavy cargo? Nope. Is Ferrari's fault or the driver that wanted to use it for something it's not meant to be used.

Same happens with Arma3. Missions are meant to be really small, all the extras should be added in addons.

We are not talking about capabable mission makers... a mission that weights 60MB is clearly among silliness! You should be happy that the game can even play it.

I didn't buy a "tool", I bought a game. And even though this is a sandbox game, it's still supposed to be playable, and not completely rely on other people.

I didn't buy a "tool", I bought a game. And even though this is a sandbox game, it's still supposed to be playable, and not completely rely on other people.

It doesn't rely on other people, really ironic how you say that. You are trying (and miserably failing) to play a user made mission, which is the same with "being dependent on other people". Only in this case you chose to be dependent on people.

Even worse, I checked that missions and it requires like 5 different addons... Did you install those? Because god forbid the User ever has to copy files right? Bill Gates should come to your home and do it for you since you bought an OS, not a copy software.

It doesn't rely on other people, really ironic how you say that. You are trying (and miserably failing) to play a user made mission, which is the same with "being dependent on other people". Only in this case you chose to be dependent on people.

Even worse, I checked that missions and it requires like 5 different addons... Did you install those? Because god forbid the User ever has to copy files right? Bill Gates should come to your home and do it for you since you bought an OS, not a copy software.

You have to play user made content, there are no real official MP gamemodes. But just because that's how it is, doesn't mean BI can just ignore all the issues and not try to polish it up. MP is basically unplayable because of all the FPS problems and unoptimized missions. But I can't say I really blame the mission makers, how are they supposed to know how to optimize?

Btw. Why is this moved to questions & answers? Just because I phrased it as I question, doesn't mean I'm really asking it, this is a bug report!

...doesn't mean BI can just ignore all the issues and not try to polish it up.

No one is ignoring no one. They're fixing things up with every single update.

MP is basically unplayable because of all the FPS problems and unoptimized missions. But I can't say I really blame the mission makers, how are they supposed to know how to optimize?

What kind of question is that? How do you know how to post here? They can learn it.

...this is a bug report!

If you weren't too busy throwing mud at everything BI does, you'd notice they have a pretty solid, one of it's kind feedback tracker. You'll probably find your problem already there.

Not that you're asking anything (!), but I'm pretty sure you got your answers.

What kind of question is that? How do you know how to post here? They can learn it.

And did they learn it? Because the only optimized Wasteland version I see is Samatra's, the rest have 20 or less FPS.