Sign in to follow this  
SirLoins

Offtopic....what does it really mean?

As a relative newcomer to these forums, I have noticed many, many threads being locked.

The only conclusion I can come up with is, one moderator, or another, decides that it is not worthy of this board.

After reading the forum rules, I see nothing about content of subject that would justify these threads being locked. Don't get me wrong, as I find some of the subjects completely boring and not worthy of conversation, but, I find no other explanation.

So, all I am asking is by what rule or other factors do you all decide which subjects will live, and which ones will die?

Have I missed something in the posting rules?

Can you please give some do's and don'ts.

I hope this thread is worthy of discussion.

Thanks

"OFFTOPIC

(about wars, military conflicts and everything what pertinent to Army)"

Basically, if a thread has a reasonable point, and stays on the topic described by the thread title, it stays open.

If it's spam, or starts to be spammed: Closure.

If it's totally pointless: Closure.

If it's a topic that has been done to death, as anyone who has actually used the search feature would know: Closure.

It it's flaming someone/something needlessly: Closure.

Otherwise I generally leave things alone. As always, if you have a beef with how something has been moderated, PM the mod in question.

So your favorite web comics and favorite music video, the great pyramid vent shaft, etc. etc.etc..........has what to do with war, military conflicts or anything pertinent to Army?

Just to clarify what spam is considered here: Spam is when someone posts something totally off topic of the subject. Like if i came in here and said:

"so what episode of the simspsons did i miss?"

Stuff like that.

Also another big rule is to NOT posts pics of phorn, violence, etc etc.

Also keep them under a 100 kb.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SirLoins @ Sep. 17 2002,00:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Warin, I have no personal beef, just wondering how you guys decide.<span id='postcolor'>

I think it's a personal thing. And for the most part it works fairly well. There is a wide enough spread in what the mods think and believe that if it offends or bothers one of them, that will represent a fairly wide swath of the forum. smile.gif

A board where topics with a chick with a gun (ref. "little therapy") go on for 140 pages (?) while others get closed within 5 minutes, after a moderator decides in their opinion that it's not us - the users that should ultimately make out a fate of a topic but them - the dictators. Instead of letting a topic die out from lack of participation they'll stamp a big lock icon on it and post some irritating comment that leaves everyone with a lower sense of respect for these guys. I'm not talking about inappropriate topics, rather those that could become popular even though they're about nothing (ref. Seinfeld).

Is it just me or could we make this a little more, how should I say this, "democratic" ?

Yes, the mods moderate although many of them should be given the title of "lock-happier".

No names mentioned so don't you point fingers at me

biggrin.gif

Let me make it simple for you guys,

Offtopic is basically not on topic of what ever the use of the forums are...

As these forums are for ofp, the forums are made for everything and anything to do with ofp... For the guys like Frag that post cnn news all the time its nothing to do with ofp so its not classed as on topic for ofp

If its reasonable good news that has a point then we will keep it open but if its made up of bullshit and people dont need to talk about it then its going to get closed

I thought that the opression of the USSR has been finnished? Why do you moderators close topics soon as a heated argument starts? My understanding is that we need to express our thoughts and ideas as we are living in a free and democratic world. Not matter how heated the topics get i really think the moderators here have to let people speak their minds and express their veiws no matter how heated they get!! mad.gif

If you have a problem with how a topic is moderated PM the mod.

I've said that what..three times now? And now, because this is rapidly degenerating into bashing the mods, which should be done by PM, I am going to close this topic.

biggrin.gif

Opening to add my own comment to this.

The organization of this board is not in any way democratic nor will it ever be. This is out of the simple reason that it would not work. This maybe doesn't seem fair to you, but life seldom is. This is a private board and as such the rules of the owners (BIS) must be respected. The moderators are the extended hand of BIS and have been trusted to make judgement calls on how the forums are administered.

We don't go on personal opinions when we close threads, we go on personal judgement. BIS trusts our judgement. It is their board. End of story.

Closing again smile.gif