Sign in to follow this  
mistyronin

Want to be sure you’re not raping someone? There’s an app for that.

I just saw this awesome piece of news and I thought it would be worth sharing:

Can ‘sexual consent’ app Good2Go really reduce assaults on campus?

Want to be sure you’re not raping someone? There’s an app for that. Good2Go, is a free “consent†mobile phone app that “targets college-age adultsâ€. Because “don’t rape†is a lesson best left until college, apparently.

Something is really wrong in the US if someone feels that has to create that kind of app for university students :confused:

This gets more and more absurd the more I see about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-MoGRKXkqw

Imagine you are totally horny but you have to register a new account on this app.

Also soon with Facebook features X and Y banged tonight :D

Let me just quote someone
Sexual consent is something that you should always get from your partner before you bang. But is an app really the best way to go about getting it?

For starters, talk about a moodkiller. "Here, before we go any further, let me have you complete this form on my phone. So hawt."

Second, if someone is "pretty wasted," as one of the app's sobriety options reads, are they going to truthfully report said sobriety while they're drunk, knowing full well that marking "pretty wasted" kills the consent process? If you're drunk and ready, you're drunk and ready, and your phone yapping at you saying that you don't give consent is only liable to piss you off, not stop what you're about to do.

Third, if one party does in fact revoke consent mid-sex, what are you doing to do? Pull out your phone again and change your answer from "I'm Good2Go" to "No, Thanks?"

Fourth, tying into the last point, what is the app actually meant to accomplish from a legal perspective? How is someone going to prove that they revoked consent when they originally put "I'm Good2Go" at the start of the encounter?

"You see, Your Honor, I know I said that I was Good2Go, but then I changed my mind and was Bad2Go like five minutes in!" "Too bad! The app says you were Good2Go and that's it! Case closed!"

Last, but perhaps not least, I can barely type my lock screen password in while I'm drunk. Am I really going to be able choose consent, choose my (truthful) sobriety level, put in my phone number and create a password all as quickly as they claim you can? Unlikely.

All in all, sexual consent isn't just a good idea: it's mandatory. End of story. But bringing in a confusing app complete with phone numbers, passwords, and dubious legal authority might not be the best way to get it.
Edited by Tonci87

What useless junk.

I find just putting on a condom a pretty big mood killer but I do it anyway. If I had to pull out my phone and make her do paperwork aswell I'd be sleeping alone.

Also since its a phone app does that mean theres a share with facebook button :p

Edited by Cozza

What useless junk.

I find just putting on a condom a pretty big mood killer but I do it anyway. If I had to pull out my phone and make her do paperwork aswell I'd be sleeping alone.

Also since its a phone app does that mean theres a share with facebook button :p

No, but Google owns the rights to all data pertaining to your sexual encounter including performance and access logs :o

I see the term 'campus rape' (or something similar) flash by occasionally when checking out US news, but i always assumed it was exaggerated (like everything else on US news..). Is it really such a big problem, or is this app just a big joke? Because it seems ridiculous.

Is it really such a big problem, or is this app just a big joke? Because it seems ridiculous.

It seems to be a big problem, although I don't get why ( or girls there get wasted and don't control what they do or I'm clueless ).

Ten percent of female University of Oregon students raped: survey

The White House has declared sex crimes to be "epidemic" on U.S. college campuses, with one in five students falling victim to sex assault during their college years.
Edited by MistyRonin

Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence are at the fore of the US public conscious right now- high profile cases involving star athletes, and the media is really running with it. There is a lot of activism and campaigns to raise awareness...

... But we aren't teaching and rewarding honesty and honor, but correctness. And that scares the ever loving crap out of me.

The idea that an APP can help is part of the moral/emotional disconnect that would cause these abuses to become more prevalent. I hope Europe has a more balanced take on the issue.

Well here it is quite simple. Either you don´t want to or you do. If you don´t want to don´t get wasted so hard you fall into a coma. Have friends watch your back. If you have been abused you report to the police and they will take care of it. In the US it seems as if girls get so drunk that they loose all control and then simply sue the guy out of regret or something.

Well here it is quite simple. Either you don´t want to or you do. If you don´t want to don´t get wasted so hard you fall into a coma. Have friends watch your back. If you have been abused you report to the police and they will take care of it. In the US it seems as if girls get so drunk that they loose all control and then simply sue the guy out of regret or something.

I've often wondered to what extent the openness of a society towards sexual matters especially but to other things like drugs and alcohol as well has an impact on how older minors and young adults handle themselves when confronted with such tricky decisions.

Just make a TV ad with a former standover man/Murderer/guy who chopped his ears off telling you to not do it

Pretty simple message.

If you don´t want to don´t get wasted so hard you fall into a coma.

I do sincerely hope you didn't mean that literally... As if that's any excuse for the rapist (the victim being so wasted).

(practically, of course you shouldn't get wasted, and have friends watching your back)

Also, if you read some of the reports from the US, a lot of the college victims were either too ashamed and victimised to go to the police, or simply the police were acting very dumb towards them. Which is not so different from police in Europe in such matters.

I do sincerely hope you didn't mean that literally... As if that's any excuse for the rapist (the victim being so wasted).

(practically, of course you shouldn't get wasted, and have friends watching your back)

Also, if you read some of the reports from the US, a lot of the college victims were either too ashamed and victimised to go to the police, or simply the police were acting very dumb towards them. Which is not so different from police in Europe in such matters.

Of course that is not an excuse for the rapist. People should generally avoid drinking themselves into a near coma because then they can be abused in all kinds of ways, not just sexualy.

Of course that is not an excuse for the rapist. People should generally avoid drinking themselves into a near coma because then they can be abused in all kinds of ways, not just sexualy.

True of course. Anyway, the app indeed seems somewhat awkward, as even noted in The Guardian blog.

I think the main problem is that some people don't think of the consequences of their acts.

I mean why would someone in his/her sane mind want to get wasted? Specially if you are not in a familiar/friendly place. It's an invitation to get robbed, raped etc. You know, the World is full of bad people waiting for someone weak to take advantage of.

I found a funny comment on the subject:

guy A: 10% of the people in the city are attacked by lions, and i was attacked by a lion.

guy B: what? that's crazy! tell me where these lions are and we'll round them up to be killed.

guy A: they are in the zoo, in cages.

guy B: what? how did this happen?

guy A: i went inside to pet it and it attacked me.

guy B: um, why did you go into a lion's cage?

guy A: that doesn't matter! don't shame me. just get rid of those lions, or teach them not to hurt people that go into their cages.

guy B: we could do that with much time and money, but wouldn't be easier to just not go into the cage, especially with no one else around to look after you?

guy A: don't shame me! just make me feel safe enough to do the same thing again.

I think the main problem is that some people don't think of the consequences of their acts.

I mean why would someone in his/her sane mind want to get wasted? Specially if you are not in a familiar/friendly place. It's an invitation to get robbed, raped etc. You know, the World is full of bad people waiting for someone weak to take advantage of.

I found a funny comment on the subject:

^this

If you get abused because you had to get wasted then a part of the blame is on you.