Sign in to follow this  
MrHuachuca

Arma 2 VS Arma 3! You chose!

Which do you like more?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like more?

So the purpose of this thread first off is to key together to see which is better and which has better controls, between arma 2 and 3.

Honestly to say this I love arma 3. When I first bought it I thought it was a waste of money until I discovered a lot of the unique fan made gamemodes like "altis life", "Invade and Annex, etc. I truly loved it after I discovered those certain things however I miss the whole arma 2 style of modern day US military equipment like C130's,AAV's, M1 Abrams, etc. Yes I know there's hundreds of mods to enhance your gameplay however all that gives you is a less community with those certain mods. I ask several friends if they want to mess around on a private server and just do random things. And my all time favorite mods are All in arma, USAF mod, KYO's chinook, and FZA_AH64 mod. Half of the mods I listed nobody really plays with a whole lot. Now with Arma 2 we can all hop on a private server and quickly start spawning in AH64's,Chinooks,ETC.

However arma 2 has downsides too. Arma 2 does not have the greatest of all texturing. Yes I love the texturing still but that's on high settings. Now when I always play arma 3 with high settings it truly says "wow " and with arma 2 MAX settings I say "sorta cool". So I mean arma 2 has it's downsides and so does arma 3. I mean im not a guy that likes future military equipment however I do still like half of Arma 3's equipment.

Oh yes maps!

Maps are a key thing to any game. Each map MUST have great locations like big compounds, city's etc. Nice coloring to it.

Arma 2 has some AMAZING maps like takistan. Which however is my all time 2nd favorite map in gaming history! Truly over all I love all Arma's maps however arma 2 does not provide the best of map lighting, shadows, etc. And arma 3 doesn't provide that natural desert field feeling. As I'm a big desert environment gaming shoot em up insurgents fan.

Did I forget mods?

Arma 2 mods are truly unique but don't have best graphics in my opinion. Arma 2 is amazing in mods due to the amount of different mods they have. In arma 3 yes they have better graphic mods however arma 3 has a medium amount of mods. (however it is still just new) Arma 3 has also the same exact mods every week. It depends on who's doing this and what it features. Most mods I see lately are all the same just little difference. Like multiple C130 mods. or LOTS of FlightDeck crew members. No I will not point out people or anything but still. Arma 3 should have a better amount of great equipment in mod discussions like "Sea Stallions" or "B2 Bombers" etc. I truly still love the whole arma 3 mod community just needs more different mods instead of multiple same mods with little differences.

Another thing that I wanted to point out was Arma 2 and Arma 3 little features. It would be a amazing and mind blowing experience if they had more awesome features like arresting insurgents, DNA checks, Databases, TV missiles, option to change between single fired flares and multi fired flares, ability to carry things like cones or other little things. Just a large array of un added things.

Please don't take this as some strike im going on lol. It is simply just a few things needed to say.

However my main needed thing I would love is why cant there be any Modern Day vehicles in arma 3 as maybe a community #TBT-Arma 2 anniversary DLC or something very unique like that.

Out of all said I personally like Arma 3 better. As with enough knowledge to download mods you can simply join a team with lots of mods used to form a arma 2 equipment/map | arma 3 settings game mode every night, etc.

Now all said above. Which is your favorite???? Arma 2 or Arma 3?! Vote above and comment your opinions below!

ArmA 3 cause the engine is better. It is possible now to play ArmA 2 in the new engine (maps, some content etc.), so no reason to stay with only ArmA 2. Only if you are a ACE 2 freak.

I loved all the games in the series, since OFP. Arma 2 was(and still is) a great game. For me personally A3 is just an expansion for me. It adds the small things we didn't have like weapon accs, underwater operations, Gear menus, etc. It's not perfect by far, but its good enough for me

(Nice NVGs in your SIG btw ;))

Content Quality, Engine, Visuals, Modding tools, Modding capabilities, Mission possibilities, and more.

ArmA 3

Content Quantity, and Mods. (Both of these are temporary)

ArmA 2

Winner: ArmA 3

sure, arma3 has brought many good features to the series like stances, weapon modification and the ablility to dive, the new lightning system is also awesome. But i also have to say that the bad performance(low frames), mp lag problems and the setting with this future weapon systems (with no correct radar system or a fire control system for tanks) isn't something that pushes me to play arma3.

In arma2 i have the right setting (US vs RU), i have the weapon/s i love(M16, AK47, G36), i have some very good islands (i love chernarus) with good performance, i have many many vehicles and other toys to make war and the greatest thing, i got ACE. Also i have so many good missions for a2, made over the last years, that i really like to play a2 far more than a3.

A good graphic is not enough, performance, setting, amount of content(in the original game) and a good mod(ace) is more important for me.

so my winner is ArmA2

regards

moerderhoschi

I don't want to expand myself much so:

I prefer Arma 3 with mods ( RHS Escalation, VTN, FFAA, East vs West, etc. ).

bZWg0wh.jpg

ArmA 2 was really good looking if you cranked it up to full settings and genuinely a good game, however ArmA 3 is a lot better with so many optimizations and features. It only lacks a few things but I think BI will get everything sorted out soon.

Arma 3, definitely.

For mission developers, Arma 3 offers many new features that make mission making much easier. For players it offers an overall better and far smoother gaming experience. For visual enthusiasts it offers a far greater look, especially in terms of lighting and fidelity. And let's be honest: With mods like the weapons from Robert Hammer, AGM, TFA, rds-tanks and the possibility to have zeus-led missions, Arma 3 is far more fun than Arma 2.

Edited by Belbo

Arma 3. Arma 2 was great, but now it's time for BIS to make Arma 3 that next best thing. Content is sure to come, and probably, so will new features. If you set thugs up right, Arma 3 looks good with all it's engine improvements. Most of the vehicles and weapons are real, so it shouldn't be too hard to create the same feel you had in Arma 2, just a good or better in Arma 3. We will get there.

I prefer ArmA 2 because of the actual gear (weapons, vehicles, etc...) and the wound / damage system (ArmA 3 sucks)

I prefer ArmA 3 for better optimisation, graphisms, enhanced gameplay (different positions, grenade throwing, gear menu...), easier editor...

If they had kept the same damage system and offered us actual gear, it would have been the ultimate military game IMO

Arma 3 FTW : Better overall feel and functionality. Feels more fluid.

Modded Arma2, hands down the better game, for me anyway..

Playing the other night, hadn't played for a while, 140ai approx and me, I was fighting with Opfor, it was damn near perfect, grenades, rocket launchers, tactical flanking, using buildings really well, smoke, surrender, long firefights, retreat, regroup etc, it was all in there. A great battle, took forever it seemed, only a little over a hour and a half maybe, but I loved it. Moving forward then getting ordered back, regrouping, finding other routes through and around town, I was just copying the ai, taking orders (well sort of). Had a great time, just me and A2. Hadn't done it for a while, its some game when you think about it, well, some series really. Great to come back too every now and then.

Not a proper mission just groups down in the editor and a single WP for each group, ie straight at the enemy with a town in the centre, just a minute or so to setup and away.

Anyway I put A2.. I don't play A3 now.

Edited by ChrisB

Fact is, since Arma 3 I found not even once a reason to play Arma 2 instead. Arma 3 simply makes Arma 2 obsolete.

I would have to say Arma 3 over Arma 2.

Infantry combat is mostly on a whole other level, the damage system is a bit lacking but Arma 3's multi stance solves a lot of the problems we had in A2 with windows being too high or too low, response is also much more fluid and we get added systems such as weight causing fatigue from the start rather than relying on a mod for it. There are just so many opportunities now for more varied forms of engagement, able to have good steady close quarters and to utilize various forms of cover in ways that were either a great hassle or just not possible in A2.

Vehicle combat is so much better with the new armor penetration system and the addition of more system damage, it started in Arma 2 yes but its far more prominent in Arma 3 with your ammo type mattering more and the armor values playing a bigger role as opposed to the T-34 obliterating an M1A1 as we saw in Operation Arrowhead. The currently tested firing from vehicles also adds a big new plus...granted it is still a bit rough around the edges but it holds tremendous potential.

Helicopters- Okay I may be a bit biased here but for me there is no comparison, Arma 3 frustrated me to no end at the start but with the addition of rotorlib there is no question in my mind which is superior.

The fact that helicopters can now be assigned weight and drag coefficiants without playing with the magic mass geometry, how fuel and weapons actually carry weight and thus effect handling, the ability to taxi from the get go without relying on mods that require a setpos and as a result can cause some nasty bumpy issues especially over MP, and of course objectlib giving us the ability to sling load from point A and in extension ropes opens so many possibilities. It makes me want to make ALL the helicopters.

It's so nice to see the sling loading from TKOH where the rope isn't rigid and the vehicle wheels don't roll.

Jets- Okay they may not have seen a whole lot of improvement but it must be said that the artwork is fantastic, especially the cockpit with all of its 3D details of switches and knobs, but most importantly the aircraft actually feel modern and digital with MPD's that relay just about all of the information you could need and want, I was tickled when I saw these.

Visual- I honestly think Arma 3 is leagues better simply because of its HDR, (that is not to say I don't love the sharp textures and new shaders) no more headache or annoying forcing of a dark scene to become bright and the other way around. Bloom is useable without appearing radioactive and the fact that so many options such as DOF, bloom, and of course screen based ambient occlusion as their own unique and tailorable settings is leaps and bounds ahead of having 3 settings with all of them compiled into one.

The art style is also much nicer and more realistic without everything having a plastic glossy bright sheen, most vehicles appear matte-ish and it adds to that feeling of authenticity The terrain and sky are gorgeous, rich colors but also varied, they didn't give the vegetation a constant glimmering sheen to make them stand out and the clouds despite their FOV warping are incomparable to that of arma 2 despite some of the coloring issue...alas..

PIP- This is a hit and miss imo, the addition of it is great and the NVG as well as color views are pretty good but the FLIR view is flat out depression, watching it go from a rich and detailed scene to a washed out mix of grey where nothing but infantry and vehicles stand out make it too much an all seeing eye for targets but also gimp it for navigation because you can't make out the terrain and tree's too well....oh well at least it works out with resource in the IHADSS...shameless tease heheh.

Edited by NodUnit

I can have more fun playing Arma 2, simply because of ACE 2. It also has a lot more serious gameplay in the multiplayer, which makes it a lot more enjoyable for me.

When RHS: Escalation, and a complete replacement to ACE 2 appears, then yes, I will have more fun. With ACRE 2 out, hopefully we are a lot closer.

Arma 2 with ACE and some other mods.

Arma 3 had potential but it suffered from way too many wrong design decisions. Of course I understand that BI is a relatively small company, that it encountered some serious problems during Arma's development, that it has to consider DayZ/Altis-Life/Wasteland crowd to have more sales and so on but all of this does not change the fact that Arma 2 is way better than Arma 3, for now at least.

And once again mod-developers is the ones who will come to the rescue of yet another Arma.

I stopped playing. Call me strange but I own a trackir and there is no way I'm playing without it as I'm used to it since armed assault. The problem though is I'm used to 100% free floating box since OFP (2001) and the combo with trackir is bugged in A3, so it feel so wrong and strange for me I just dont like playing. And as A3 is so much better I cant go back to A2.

So I guess the upside is I have time for other things. Still read the forums as I follow the development and mods hoping to play some day when BIS has fixed that known bug. If I knew BIS will never fix that I could uninstall, stop reading and move on.

Maybe I am strange but it annoys me so much I cant enjoy the game.

Arma 1. Cause someones got to love the bastard child of the series and it might as well be me!

I voted for Arma 3 but my favourite is still Flashpoint (and Resistance).

True true. And thx! I only have those two awesome things from your awesome mods! :) keep up the good work.

I loved all the games in the series, since OFP. Arma 2 was(and still is) a great game. For me personally A3 is just an expansion for me. It adds the small things we didn't have like weapon accs, underwater operations, Gear menus, etc. It's not perfect by far, but its good enough for me

(Nice NVGs in your SIG btw ;))

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:16 ----------

Hahaha. Yeah I liked arma 1. It was great for a brand new franchise however the graphics scared me a little but the performances were amazing and great FPS.

Arma 1. Cause someones got to love the bastard child of the series and it might as well be me!