Sign in to follow this  
Raverfox209

Need help making a new mod work

Hey guys. I've been googling and searching and dissecting already existing mods for help. But a lot of the tutorials or calls for help either go over what i've already completed, are too far ahead in the steps or too advanced for my knowledge. I try to google long and hard before resorting to making a forum post.

I'm starting off simple. Basicly my unit just wanted a vest to distinguish our instructors during training since we do mass training sessions blah blah blah.

I have grabbed the .paa of the tactical vest police, changed it to a .png via text2view, saved it it and turned it into a .paa again. I also have notepad++ as well as PBOmanager. I'ts hard to explain where i'm stuck at. It is meant to be a separate vest, not a reskin of an existing one, so essentially speaking the original vest (the black police one) will exist in game as well as this one and be activated via @folder

my pbo looks like this atm

4559d2bbe4.png

So now i'm just sitting here wondering what is next. Since its supposed to be a different vest, i would believe i need to change those names in the pbo and create a classname as well. But I dont know how to do that either.

Any guidance is appreciated. This is posted in the config area because i THINK that is the next step. but again. Dont even know how to create that

Edited by Raverfox209

Sounds like you are just doing a retexure? In other words, changing the graphics of that vest?

Yup, you'll need to setup the config file. Its a bit of a pain. You'll have to setup a dummy (or real) Unit that wears the vest. Not at home right now, so I can't post an example. Not sure that helps, but when I get a chance I can post some details. Let me know here, or PM if I forget.

Great Sig by the way!

Here's a config.cpp (what you need) with a single vest:

class CfgPatches {
class YOUR_PBO_PREFIX {
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {"YOUR_VEST_CLASSNAME"};
	requiredVersion = 0.1;
	requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Weapons_F", "A3_Characters_F_BLUFOR"};
	author = "Your Name";
};
};

class cfgWeapons {
class V_PlateCarrier1_rgr { class ItemInfo; };	// External class reference

class YOUR_VEST_CLASSNAME : V_PlateCarrier1_rgr{
	scope = 2;
	displayName = "Your Vest Name";
	hiddenSelections[] = {"camo"};
	hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"YOUR_PBO_PREFIX\BLUFOR\DATA\tacticalvest_police_co.paa"};
               //you can leave this out to use the default .rvmat for V_PlateCarrier1_rgr
               hiddenSelectionsMaterials[] = {"YOUR_PBO_PREFIX\BLUFOR\DATA\tacticalvest.rvmat"};
	class ItemInfo : ItemInfo {
                      //you can leave this out to use the default model for V_PlateCarrier1_rgr
		uniformModel = "YOUR_PBO_PREFIX\BLUFOR\equip_tacticalvest_black.p3d";
	};
};
};

You set the PBO Prefix with the gear icon in PBO manager (it's generally the name of the PBO).

I suggest getting acquainted with the config viewer in the game to see what's in various classes.

Edited by Lecks

Sounds like you are just doing a retexure? In other words, changing the graphics of that vest?

Yup, you'll need to setup the config file. Its a bit of a pain. You'll have to setup a dummy (or real) Unit that wears the vest. Not at home right now, so I can't post an example. Not sure that helps, but when I get a chance I can post some details. Let me know here, or PM if I forget.

Great Sig by the way!

Thanks! It's probably one of my favorite ones haha

Yeah thats the idea, I didn't want to say "retexture" because when i think of that I think of replacing the colors of an existing vest instead of actually adding another physical vest (even though its an existing 3D model, if that makes sense)

In a perfect world i'd like this vest to appear in arsenal or maybe even an ammo box.

Here's a config.cpp (what you need) with a single vest:

class CfgPatches {
class YOUR_PBO_PREFIX {
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {"YOUR_VEST_CLASSNAME"};
	requiredVersion = 0.1;
	author = "Your Name";
};
};

class cfgWeapons {
class V_PlateCarrier1_rgr { class ItemInfo; };	// External class reference

class YOUR_VEST_CLASSNAME : V_PlateCarrier1_rgr{
	scope = 2;
	displayName = "Your Vest Name";
	hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"YOUR_PBO_PREFIX\BLUFOR\DATA\tacticalvest_police_co.paa"};
               hiddenSelectionsMaterials[] = {"YOUR_PBO_PREFIX\BLUFOR\DATA\tacticalvest.rvmat"};
                      //you can leave this out to use the default model for V_PlateCarrier1_rgr
		uniformModel = "YOUR_PBO_PREFIX\BLUFOR\equip_tacticalvest_black.p3d";
	};
};
};

You set the PBO Prefix with the gear icon in PBO manager (it's generally the name of the PBO).

I suggest getting acquainted with the config viewer in the game to see what's in various classes.

So that's what I was looking for. Are these mostly a plug and go thing? Or do i need to swap some things here and there? Also do i need to change the name of the vest since it's still called a the tactical police vest?

Okay, now that I'm home, I can respond to your PM better...

0.Make up a "TAG". This will be your unique ID. Raverfox209 ---> RFX, or 209, or RAV, or whatever you want.

1.You need to copy that Code above and Paste into Notepad++.

2.Save As config.cpp - Put into a simple folder Named (format: tag_modsimplename, ---example---> rfx_vest)

3.Replace ALL areas as needed. READ through that code. YOUR_PBO_PREFIX becomes RFX_Vest

Replace YOUR_VEST_CLASSNAME with anything, again something like RFX_VEST_TRAINER (or keep it the same format: RFX_VEST)

And so on. Replace whats needed with what you are NAMING things... Then Adjust all the File Paths to match your Folder/File setup.

code above; altered with YOUR stuff; change names how you want - copy into Notepad++

class CfgPatches {
class rfx_vest { //mod NAME, or use whatever you want
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {"RFX_VEST_TRAINER"}; //YOUR_ITEM_CLASSSNAME(see below)
	requiredVersion = 0.1;
	author = "Raverfox209"; //your name, In-Game-Editor Credit
};
};

class cfgWeapons {
class V_PlateCarrier1_rgr { class ItemInfo; };	// internal game class reference

class RFX_VEST_TRAINER : V_PlateCarrier1_rgr { // YOUR_ITEM_CLASSNAME : Parent_Class_to_Inherit_In-Game-Code
	scope = 2;
	displayName = "RFX Vest"; //In-Game-Editor description
	hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"rfx_vest\tacticalvest_police_co.paa"}; //folder path to image \ imagename_co.paa
               //hiddenSelectionsMaterials[] = {"rfx_vest\tacticalvest.rvmat"};
		uniformModel = "A3\Characters_F\BLUFOR\equip_tacticalvest_black.p3d"; // 3D Model to use; use your own or Refenence the In-Game-Model
	};
};
};

4.Put the config.cpp, and your modified image.paa files into the Simple Mod Folder (rfx_vest).

(Might need a $PBO File - Create a TEXT File with just 1 word: tag_modname -- rfx_vest [same as your simple folder] -- Name this File $PBOPREFIX$)

5.Pack all that into a .pbo File ---> rfx_vest (Folder, with the 2 Files, config.cpp & image.paa + the $PBOPREFIX$ File) now becomes rfx_vest.pbo

6.Put the rfx_vest.pbo into an 'addon' Folder. Put that into Your OVERALL OFFICIAL Mod Folder @RFX_VEST

(example: @RFX_VEST >> addon >> rfx_vest.pbo)

[if you un-pbo a few mods, you can see what else is needed, of anything]

-This will get you started! I may have missed or goofed something. Making Mods are NOT easy! Complex stuff!!

-For a simple Vest, you may just consider adding code to the Object in the Game Editor instead:

Add in INIT Box for the Vest: this setObjectTexture [0,"yourvestimage.paa"];

Hope that Helps. NOT Tested on my end. Don't have enough time. If it doesn't work, search "re-texure vest". :p

Edited by Goblin

Since your teaching him about tags it should be said to go to ofpec.com and register your tag and to check to make sure it is available. If you release your mod without checking tags and you accidentally use someone else that's not good. It will conflict with the other mod and people may not download your mod because of that.

excuse me while i throw thumbs up at you from a dump truck full of them. I'm going to test this out when i get home tonight

That might be the weirdest response I've ever gotten. :p

Snuck away from gf to take a peak quick; you will also need a way of using it in the game of course.

You need more code to have it show up in the Editor so you can select it. OR you can access by just its

now new classname: RFX_VEST_TRAINER.

To add to the Editor, you can add code to place in the Vest Category, OR you can add code to make a Crate

that you would then also select in the Editor under your Name or other entry you prefer.

Hi, I can't seem to create new threads at the moment (not sure why, I'm new but have accepted forum rules and have activated my account), so if it's ok I'm gonna piggyback off this thread...

I'm trying to code a simple retexture of a vest item, specifically a Plate Carrier. I've got this code for my config.cpp:

class CfgPatches {
class JRED_HICMD_PCARRY
{
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {"Hicmd_pcarry_retexture3"};
	requiredVersion = 0.1;
	version = "1.01";
};
};

class CfgWeapons {
class V_PlateCarrier3_rgr { class ItemInfo; };

class Hicmd_pcarry_retexture3 : V_PlateCarrier3_rgr{
	scope = 2;
	displayName = "Retextured carrier rig";
	hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\JRED_HICMD_PCARRY\data\Carrier_rig_ROAPD.paa"};
	};
};
};

This packs fine, binarizes and signs, but when I go into the fortress VR it isn't showing as an item I can equip. How do I make it so that I can equip it in there?

Thanks in advance.

Did you get it working?

Just noticed there is a Tutorial on re-texuring in the Sticky part of the O2 Modeling Thread. Been on here over a year and didn't notice it. Just getting into modeling and saw it. :p