Sign in to follow this  
TrueCruel

13€ DLC, hefty price for 2 choppers

lets say it is too high, what else would you expect from a commercial entity ?

they work for profit, gave you a chance to get in cheap multiple ways, on a leap of faith with a cheap alpha entry and a cheap supporters edition.

what more do you want ?

should they go broke over price whining ? give more for free and ask less for more ?

i am no accountant, but i can see multiple ways they gave us ways to get in cheap, from their perspective, so why complain about this price, it is what it is

a commercial product from a commercial entity.

are you also going to complain at the apple store or what have you ?

they set a price and you had opportunities to get in cheaper or more expensive, and even now you can get in cheaper with the bundle.

i see BI giving you options and yet there is this idea of more for less.... even before the product it self is out and actually measured for its worth...

they work for profit, gave you a chance to get in cheap multiple ways, on a leap of faith with a cheap alpha entry and a cheap supporters edition.

what more do you want ?

should they go broke over price whining ? give more for free and ask less for more ?

i am no accountant, but i can see multiple ways they gave us ways to get in cheap, from their perspective, so why complain about this price, it is what it is

a commercial product from a commercial entity.

are you also going to complain at the apple store or what have you ?

they set a price and you had opportunities to get in cheaper or more expensive, and even now you can get in cheaper with the bundle.

i see BI giving you options and yet there is this idea of more for less.... even before the product it self is out and actually measured for its worth...

You don't throw a competition with 500.000€ price-pool if you are close going broke by lowering the dlc price.

what more do you want ?

they aren't close to broke and the DLC bundle pricing is pretty damn horrible for the amount of content that they provide. the stand alone Karts DLC isn't even worth $1.99 lol

then what is reasonable for a price and what is your idea of pricing ?

you get the features for FREE !

and you can fall over the word broke all you want, but i guess it is a matter of calculations which came from accounting office that came up with that price, so the 500.000 or what ever can be returned with a profit margin. (as that is how commercial entities HAVE to work)

That's ... actually pretty accurate.

Yeah, in your black-or-white mind.

Yeah, in your black-or-white mind.

It's actually pretty black and white. You can either pay for the DLC and support the features (even if you don't like/want the new helo's), or you can sit there and save your money while mooching the features off of those that did pay for it. Either way, I don't care. However, Those are your two options. That's it. This discussion is rather fruitless, as Bohemia's not planning on changing their DLC strategy this late in the game. You would have been better off doing the survey. I like the DLC strategy. It offers freedom (which freedom is kinda what this game is about). You don't like it? Good for you. You are human and have the ability to consciously think. Bitching about it changes nothing.

It's actually pretty black and white. You can either pay for the DLC and support the features (even if you don't like/want the new helo's), or you can sit there and save your money while mooching the features off of those that did pay for it. Either way, I don't care. However, Those are your two options. That's it. This discussion is rather fruitless, as Bohemia's not planning on changing their DLC strategy this late in the game. You would have been better off doing the survey. I like the DLC strategy. It offers freedom (which freedom is kinda what this game is about). You don't like it? Good for you. You are human and have the ability to consciously think. Bitching about it changes nothing.

No it's not, it never is. Especially not in the way he stated it as "Anyone who posted here is a dick" type of deal, especially considering his last post.

And yes, there are options to buy it or not, I already have it anyway, but again, it's not black and white as those two options are not the only ones. The gray shades come from the people who give their opinions but who've got supporter edition even before they knew there'll even be DLC or the owners of the DLC bundle, or the people who'll buy it anyway but are not amused by the price. On a side note, I've spent over 1000€ on BI products over the last 13 years, especially considering where I live, so if you guys want to play the supporter game, bring it on, you're preaching to the choir. But if you think supporting BI is blindly saying "Yes" and approve every single decision without any questioning, then you should probably rethink it.

The survey you mentioned had fuck all to do with what's being talked about here, survey was mostly about the opinions on the annoyance-factor of the DLC content when not owned. And the conclusion there is basically "You're welcome to remind and bother me all you want, but please don't impede the actual pefromance of the player when forced to use such content"

I'm all for supporting them, but as it is now, these are the issues voiced so far:

a) Exploiting people who will not know what they're actually buying considering the DLC description on Steam will not actually be representative of what is included in the price

b) People who want to have everything will be paying for things they already have, because the "I support BI" tax is bundled as is with it

c) Historically comparing BI DLC's, this DLC is not very much a good value DLC when looked at objectively and taking into account second part of b)

d) Future decisions in regards to DLC might and probably will be affected by the sales of this DLC, and this thread provides a way for people to voice their opinion on what they think about it. This is not a "I won't buy it" thread. It's a discussion on price vs value. As stated in the thread title.

e) Comparing the base game price and the DLC price, while taking into account the content of both. According to the price of this DLC, the base game price should've been infinitely higher.

Posting in here as the first and only post calling it "bitching" is basically just sticking your dick in the door and pissing on all the people here and their opinions for the sake of being a dick then pulling out.

Mission maker can place assets into the mission, but can't test the mission because he can't fly it.

In PvP, one team might have access to DLC content while the other team does not (if the other team has no pilots who own the DLC, or even if just their best pilot doesn't own it, is enough for an unfair disadvantage). This makes DLC missions anywhere between unfair to blatantly broken, and therefore cannot really be used in a anything that might be trying to be a competitive PvP environment. I don't want my missions to rely on someone who knows how to fly to own a DLC, so I will have to avoid using the DLC in my missions (at least the ones that matter).

Now, since I don't place DLC in my missions, there is little reason to actually buy any of it... Other than just a flat out donation. But I'd rather donate for more bug fixing than for new helicopters, even though bug fixing should be free.

Why is everyone so quick to jump on the "I hate BIS, they're lazy sacks of crap and money grubbing whores" bandwagon.

is literally all I hear when people complain about A3/BIS.

I would happy if with choppers DLC could come with some more campaign episodes, that would give me a extra reason to buy, campaign is the best part of A3, imo.

I would happy if with choppers DLC could come with some more campaign episodes, that would give me a extra reason to buy, campaign is the best part of A3, imo.

It's coming with a few missions, I'm sure they'll add a new showcase :)

So guys, I really disappointed that they are charging a hefty 15€ for 7 Guns(maybe 7) and some free engine improvements for the Marksman DLC. =/

Today's dev update:

Added: Helicopter VR Training “Basicsâ€

Added: Helicopter VR Training “Weapon Systemsâ€

Added: Helicopter VR Training “Sling Loadingâ€

Added: Helicopter VR Training “Advancedâ€

Added: MP Scenario “Support Katalakiâ€

Added: MP Scenario “Support Sofiaâ€

Added: MP Scenario “Support Pyrgosâ€

Added: MP Scenario “Support Rodopoliâ€

Added: MP Scenario “Support Stratisâ€

Added: Showcase Sling Loading*

Added: Time Trial 06 “Runway Lapâ€

Added: Time Trial 07 “Hillside Grooveâ€*

Added: Time Trial 08 “King of the Hillâ€*

Added: Time Trial 09 “Kiss the Groundâ€*

Added: Time Trial 10 “Kart Deliveryâ€*

*Content requires ownership of the Helicopters DLC.

Today's dev update:

Added: Helicopter VR Training “Basicsâ€

Added: Helicopter VR Training “Weapon Systemsâ€

Added: Helicopter VR Training “Sling Loadingâ€

Added: Helicopter VR Training “Advancedâ€

Added: MP Scenario “Support Katalakiâ€

Added: MP Scenario “Support Sofiaâ€

Added: MP Scenario “Support Pyrgosâ€

Added: MP Scenario “Support Rodopoliâ€

Added: MP Scenario “Support Stratisâ€

Added: Showcase Sling Loading*

Added: Time Trial 06 “Runway Lapâ€

Added: Time Trial 07 “Hillside Grooveâ€*

Added: Time Trial 08 “King of the Hillâ€*

Added: Time Trial 09 “Kiss the Groundâ€*

Added: Time Trial 10 “Kart Deliveryâ€*

*Content requires ownership of the Helicopters DLC.

Oh AWESOME! Gotta try some of that later.

If you think 13€ is unfair then pretend you are the developer and want to implement new features to your game engine, instead of just additional vehicles/guns/whatever.

Either you lock everyone who doesnt have the DLC out (basically making it like an non-compatible small scale addon). Means you are dividing the community between dlc and non-dlc players (and servers). Pay or die.

Or you make the features free for everyone and only include some new vehicles/guns/whatever and do like what they do now.

Those features wouldn't have come for free if you only paid for the assetts they implement now. And if you wish this approach to continue you have to vote with your money. Otherwise BIS will just say screw it and go back to addons where people get locked out when new features are developed, or hurt the incremental implementation of new features. Instead you will either have to wait on an larger Expansion/Addon or Arma 4 which will be a long way to come i guess.

And new features are much required, they advance the game way more then just some guns and vehicles do, they are longterm platform improvements, which do not just serve vanilla but also us modders a great deal.

Why is everyone so quick to jump on the "I hate BIS, they're lazy sacks of crap and money grubbing whores" bandwagon.

because they learned it from other games... and because they are lazy. Don't like anything to do with a game and money? Put the devs into the "money grubbing whores" box. No questions asked, no need to give explanations. Oh and add that they are as bad as big publisher companies to make your rant complete.

Edited by Fennek

If you think 13€ is unfair then pretend you are the developer and want to implement new features to your game engine, instead of just additional vehicles/guns/whatever.

Either you lock everyone who doesnt have the DLC out (basically making it like an non-compatible small scale addon). Means you are dividing the community between dlc and non-dlc players (and servers). Pay or die.

Or you make the features free for everyone and only include some new vehicles/guns/whatever and do like what they do now.

Those features wouldn't have come for free if you only paid for the assetts they implement now. And if you wish this approach to continue you have to vote with your money. Otherwise BIS will just say screw it and go back to addons where people get locked out when new features are developed, or hurt the incremental implementation of new features. Instead you will either have to wait on an larger Expansion/Addon or Arma 4 which will be a long way to come i guess.

And new features are much required, they advance the game way more then just some guns and vehicles do, they are longterm platform improvements, which do not just serve vanilla but also us modders a great deal.

because they learned it from other games... and because they are lazy. Don't like anything to do with a game and money? Put the devs into the "money grubbing whores" box. No questions asked, no need to give explanations. Oh and add that they are as bad as big publisher companies to make your rant complete.

Shhhh, I know, I'm pulling legs. I already own the bundle. =P

I didnt mean you in particular... should have wrote "if anyone thinks its unfair[...]"

honestly i'd prefer if they fixed existing issues instead of making new content. and no i would not pay for a bug-fix dlc

honestly i'd prefer if they fixed existing issues instead of making new content. and no i would not pay for a bug-fix dlc

They're doing this, but they can't let the game stagnate at the same time. This isn't the COD community where we'll be happy eating up a new map-pack every few months. This is a community that enjoys all kinds of content constantly appearing. We're kinda selfish that way. And there are a lot of people who, while they like the vanilla content, they also want more vanilla content.

This is a community that enjoys all kinds of content constantly appearing. We're kinda selfish that way. And there are a lot of people who, while they like the vanilla content, they also want more vanilla content.

^This. It's true. While Vanilla content is nice, there's still content to be had. What that is, is questionable, because we aren't the Dev's, and the Dev's don't have enough man power to do a lot at once.

I am unsure of what to think about the DLC content/price.

I already bought the bundle a while back without hesitation. Though I was hoping for more heli's, I am not at all dissapointed or unahappy. The heli's are good quality and the new features are awesome, along with the continued support of the game. I am happy to give them my 25 bucks, they deserve it imo.

But I am a fanboi. I am unsure how more casual/less die hard fans will take it. I imagine most would see they really don't miss much if they don't buy the dlc. And so I imagine they wouldn't buy it. Maybe I am wrong though. Maybe people want those two heli's more than I think. Maybe people are so used to being ripped off by other games, they don't mind doing the same for arma and BI is taking advantage of that...

To me personally, the DLC only seems to be worth it for BI fans, or helicopter fans. And I don't think that is a huge portion of the people playing arma these days.

Overall, I aint complaining about anything. Lots of good things happening in arma and the devs deserve my money. I am just unsure whether they will get it, because they are giving so much major stuff away for free, while charging a considerable sum for relatively minor stuff. Not sure how they are expecting it to turn out.

Edited by -Coulum-

Well, I just set Steam to download the beta and I just tried it. Although I am a supporter (and therefore get it by default), I must admit I'm not totally blown away by the new helis nor the FFV. Within 10 minutes of the release you will have some people overriding the 'getIn without seeing a BuyMe icon' and therefore make it a waste of time BIS spending time on it.

Perhaps the DEVs actually need to put up a poll as to what people actually want as a DLC?

Perhaps the DEVs actually need to put up a poll as to what people actually want as a DLC?

For me personally the upcoming helicopter as well as the sharp shooter DLC is a "perfect fit" and I'm glad they where chosen but I'm sure there are lots of other DLC wishes since we are all different.

I do hope they fix the AI detection routines in the sharp shooter DLC when wearing ghillies since it's broken in A3 and makes the ghille useless!

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

In the end, the #1 factor in how many buy the DLC is probably how Altis Life and King of the Hill will integrate them... If people end up needing the DLC to gain an edge on those servers then they will buy it, I guess. And that's where most players seem to be nowadays.