Sign in to follow this  
mannyrecon

Recon Tips

Surprised there isn't a thread on this yet after searching.

I'm a very observant person, which fits perfectly into what reconnaissance and sniping demands. I've been practicing lately on some loadouts, skins, and mods, and I've been practicing more with identifying enemy positions, staying hidden, and of course sniping between 400m-900m.

Are there any other practical things to keep in mind, or try? I know the obvious ones: keep your silhouette hidden when along ridges, and stay under the cover of rocks, bushes, and trees. Are there any other sniping/observing/recon tips you could provide to this lowly recon player?

My kind of operator! Try out my Sniper Project. Click my Sig for more info and to DL. ;)

I'll give it a try, this sounds really interesting. There is nothing more frustrating than being VERY WELL HIDDEN in a ghille suit and still being spotted 100m away without moving an inch, just like that.

If you're prone in a ghillie and there's AI facing towards you, take the hands off the controls and don't move at all, don't even use ALT for freeview.

Maybe my mind is tricking me but I'd bet that freeview is increasing your chances of being detected.

One good thing is to learn what kind of distances the AI and/or players tend to spot you at. With AI, your camo doesn't matter as much, but when being up against players selecting your background can be crucial. For example, the Nato uniform is very pale, and will stand out against dark backgrounds. The Opfor dark hexacam is the best camo I found, especially in dusk situations and under NV. You can completely disappear into the terrain with it.

What is also important is learning to move under observation. For example, in the campaign I did a patrol mission with the truck, and made the mistake of driving into a ditch on a hillside I thought was shielded from enemy observation by the trees. Next thing I know is my truck brewing up because enemies had spotted me way earlier and were already in the woods I intended to use to sneak up on them. If I had just left the truck where it was and instead went on foot, crawling all the way, it would have taken much longer but I also would not have been spotted. Death by lack of patience.

See and don't be seen. Practice patience.

What you need to do is pretend that the enemy is Susie Cheerleader getting changed in the locker room and you're peeking in with binoculars. There is no way you'll miss a singular detail.

Problem solved, you'll get more intel than every other surveillance method combined.

/thread

If you're prone in a ghillie and there's AI facing towards you, take the hands off the controls and don't move at all, don't even use ALT for freeview. Maybe my mind is tricking me but I'd bet that freeview is increasing your chances of being detected.

AFAIK any movement increases the chances being detected but AI have way to good ability to spot and home in on you even if you are prone, completely still and concealed by vegetation wearing a ghille. I may tooting my own horn here but see this AI thread for some old test with pictures...

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159710-AI-Discussion-%28dev-branch%29/page9

Note: It was some time ago (1+ month) I tested last time so things may have changed since else there may still be some hope for the upcoming Marksman DLC!? The test mission can be found here.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Probably the biggest tip I'd share is choose the correct time to shoot, and the correct time to stay hidden. Obviously it goes without saying, when that first enemy is killed, unless death notices are turned off and you're using a silencer, your cover is blown. You will not be able to collect any more decent information, as you will have to immediately move position and stay hidden for what may be a very long time, as the enemy sends troops and UAVs to search for you. You are, therefore, ineffective - a four or five man team, with limited weaponry, is no match for an entire squad or platoon. However... there may be a crucial point, where you will have one golden opportunity - take out the squad or platoon leader, signaller, perhaps even the operator of a tank, or a helicopter pilot. Depending on the situation, and the probability of you making it out alive, you should take the shot.

Another thing about recon is, collect as much information as you can. If you're really serious, grab a notebook and pen, and jot down EVERYTHING. I am serious - record EVERYTHING. Composition of squads, the amount of soldiers manning a particular base or building, what direction they are moving in, vehicle quantity, vehicle type, grid reference if they are stable, and how experienced they look - can they keep a formation? If so, which side is weakest? How spread out are they? Does someone have a UAV backpack?

Map markers are the best for relaying information easily, all one has to do is open the map and look.

Can you experienced recons share methods for annotating maps with clear and concise information please?

I've seen some good ways of achieving this, including time stamps, on some public servers but would be interested in learning from more varied examples.

Just a few things that I do as a Recon.

My loadout:

Fancy recon hat

Fancy Recon uniform or brit spec ops uniform

-Tactical vest for Blu and Ind, with using the fancier armors Opfor armors for the said faction.

So far the tactical vest offers the best of light and armor, the LBV and ELBV are also awesome choices, and I believe they hold a bit more items for there weight. If I really need to go light I will go for the fighters chest string but anything lighter and you won't be able to hold the gear you need.

-TRG20 or MK20 with grenade launcher - Attachments, Halo sight, silencer, and a second ARCO site for longer distances.

You might not think that a grenade launcher is neccary, but I found it to be the best thing ever as a recon. It is great for opening up engagements, softening up the enemy line. They also simply end things faster, they kill faster, and they allow you reduce any fire fights down to a few well placed shots. Allowing you to either flee, or find a better location. I also have disabled several vehicles, and even a few helicopters without them even knowing what hit them.

-Other Gear

3 First Aid, 3 smoke, 5 spare mags, and either one explosive or three tripmines.

Again, just personal preference but part of Recon is sabotage and dealing with a target of opportunity. A few well placed mines can be both a offensive and a defensive action, as well as explosive charges.

As for Reconing and marking stuff.

When possible I use the correct NATO iconography, as it allows you to give the most information about something without much labeling. I mark any enemy position I see, and I will even mark my personal position for a higher ops information. If there is a multiple of something that needs marked for each one. I will only label based on how important and how much info my teammates need. for example, if there is a mechanized unit. I might mark it and label it the type of vehicle and how many infantry. I.E Slammer UP, +4 infantry. If it is a minefield, I will mark out every mine location and label one. Usually stating what side the mines belong to, and what type.

As for keeping your intel relevant, I feel that always belonged to the Recon player to delete and update marks as neccary. If players are needing a idea on were the enemy is coming from, and want to keep marks up. I will simply add a red cross on top of the icon to indicate a dead enemy.

Can you experienced recons share methods for annotating maps with clear and concise information please?

I've seen some good ways of achieving this, including time stamps, on some public servers but would be interested in learning from more varied examples.

Example: I see a group of enemy infantry moving north-west. They are 6 strong, and I saw them at 0610. Map marker would be a black dot. They also appear to have a UAV backpack, and a mortar, showing they are a fire support team.

EI x 6 HEADED NW 0610HRS DART UAV + MORTAR.

Clear and concise - EI is Enemy Infantry, there are six, heading NW, spotted at 0610 hours, with a Darter UAV and a Mortar.

Tank Squadron moving south along the main highway, two M2A1 Slammer UPS, two M4 scorchers, with a spacing of 100 meters between each.

E ARMR 2 x SLAMR UP 2x SPG HEADED SOUTH THRU HIGHWAY 100 METER SPACING.

That there is a wealth of easily accessible information.

I have trouble spotting which enemies are which, in terms of their specific role (UAV operator, squad leader, etc). They all look the same to me :-/

Can someone provide screenshots as to what each one looks like, if they can take the time to show? I want to create a sniper school unit, and one of the missions I want to construct is to eliminate specific targets, such as the UAV operators.

I have trouble spotting which enemies are which, in terms of their specific role (UAV operator, squad leader, etc). They all look the same to me :-/

Can someone provide screenshots as to what each one looks like, if they can take the time to show? I want to create a sniper school unit, and one of the missions I want to construct is to eliminate specific targets, such as the UAV operators.

A picture probably wouldn't help much, it's easier to place them in the editor and play around with them. E.g. UAV operators have very distinct, very large square backpacks. Squad and Team leaders will generally have magnified optics rather than the collimator sights. Anyone using binoculars (or laser designators) are also likely to be squad leaders. AT guys are quite obvious however make sure you can tell the difference between the type of launchers in game, the RPG-42 is only used by CSAT and FIA and is just a round tube, the PCML is shorter but thicker and has a large casing (not sure how to describe this) on the front. The titan AT launchers are quite small and square shaped while the AA launchers are longer and hexagonal. Silencers will nearly always indicate a recon/SF unit. This is the kind of stuff you will get to know just mucking around and placing units in the editor.

EDIT: Have a look for Dyslexci's Snipers and Launchers community guide on Youtube.

Edited by Jona33

Pick the correct rifle for the role as well - if you're doing a recon across a desert, it is most beneficial to take a Mk18 or MXM, as you will be spotting and engaging targets from long distances (generally.) If you're doing recon in a small valley covered with fog, obviously, you would want to take a smaller weapon and perhaps more powerful weapon, such as a Mk200 or Zafir.

Take a silencer in every instance. Depending if you're using vanilla or modded weapons, you may or may not have to deal with the dreaded effect of the silencer.

In Vanilla Arma 3, when you equip a silencer, your ammunition is automatically made less powerful. But, it gets better. You STILL have the supersonic crack, so enemies still realise they are being fired upon in the first few seconds. However, in close quarters situations, or when you are using a heavy calibre, you will still be able to engage targets and kill them without having your position revealed as readily. Some modpacks actually CORRECTLY simulate silencers and subsonic ammunition, where if you equip a silencer, it doesn't change the effect of your ammo - it reduces your gunshot noise, but your ammo stays the same no matter what you use. So if you use supersonic ammunition, you will have the same damage and the same supersonic crack, but a quieter gunshot. If you use subsonic ammunition, you will have reduced damage, and no supersonic crack, so it becomes extremely difficult to detect you.

And yes, before you ask, recon teams are allowed to take heavy machine guns and rocket launchers.

One thing to note is that unless you're within 200m, firing at an enemy with a loud weapon does not always mean they spot you instantly. At 600m or more, if you're careful with firing your weapon, they will still not know exactly where you are. Try this out for yourself some time. Get around 600-800m, and fire at the enemy once. They will either immediately go prone, or they'll rush to cover. But if you hold your fire afterwards, they'll only be looking around. Wait until they get back up and continue roaming and you can fire again. Only one problem though: Eventually they WILL find you if you stay put. No matter how far out you are. Each time you shoot, they will triangulate your position. Sometimes you'll see them doing this as they patrol, turning left and right with each shot as they refine your heading. Once they have a general idea where you are, they'll start trying to flank you. This is why you shoot and move.

Little story related to this: In ArmA 2 I was providing artillery support 4km out from the AO on Takistan. I even had a mountain range between me and the target zone. Since I was being fairly active in firing, 30 minutes into my fire missions I suddenly hear a SPANG of a bullet hitting the carriage of my M119. Ducking behind it for cover, I found out that one of the patrols around the AO was patrolling and came under threat from one of my attacks. They followed the direction of my shells and eventually got close enough to hear me firing, so they engaged me. Thankfully the other M119 I had there was shielded enough that I quickly trained it on the patrol (which was still about 600m distant on an adjacent ridge) and took them out. I quickly relocated.

Pick the correct rifle for the role as well - if you're doing a recon across a desert, it is most beneficial to take a Mk18 or MXM, as you will be spotting and engaging targets from long distances (generally.) If you're doing recon in a small valley covered with fog, obviously, you would want to take a smaller weapon and perhaps more powerful weapon, such as a Mk200 or Zafir.

Take a silencer in every instance. Depending if you're using vanilla or modded weapons, you may or may not have to deal with the dreaded effect of the silencer.

In Vanilla Arma 3, when you equip a silencer, your ammunition is automatically made less powerful. But, it gets better. You STILL have the supersonic crack, so enemies still realise they are being fired upon in the first few seconds. However, in close quarters situations, or when you are using a heavy calibre, you will still be able to engage targets and kill them without having your position revealed as readily. Some modpacks actually CORRECTLY simulate silencers and subsonic ammunition, where if you equip a silencer, it doesn't change the effect of your ammo - it reduces your gunshot noise, but your ammo stays the same no matter what you use. So if you use supersonic ammunition, you will have the same damage and the same supersonic crack, but a quieter gunshot. If you use subsonic ammunition, you will have reduced damage, and no supersonic crack, so it becomes extremely difficult to detect you.

And yes, before you ask, recon teams are allowed to take heavy machine guns and rocket launchers.

Incorrect (it's been proved, I'll have a look for the link). As per real life the suppressor in vanilla ARMA III will slightly increase the velocity of the bullet and the damage at the other end.