Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

Islamic State (ISIS/ISIL/Daesh) Discussion

Israeli Minister: Islamic State 'enjoyed Turkish money for oil' (Reuters)

Israel's defense minister said on Tuesday that Islamic State militants had been funded with 'Turkish money',

an assertion that could hinder attempts to mend fences between the two countries after years of estrangement.

"It's up to Turkey, the Turkish government, the Turkish leadership, to decide whether they want to be part of any kind of cooperation to fight terrorism. This is not the case so far," Moshe Yaalon told reporters in Athens.

Turkey has denied permitting oil smuggling by the Islamist militant group, which holds swathes of territory in Syria and Iraq. The United States last month rejected Russian allegations that the Turkish government and President Tayyip Erdogan's family were in league with Islamic State to smuggle oil.

Yaalon also said that Turkey had "permitted jihadists to move from Europe to Syria and Iraq and back, as part of Daesh's terrorist network, and I hope this will stop too," according to a Greek transcript provided by the defense ministry.

However, U.S. State Department spokesman Mark Toner said last month that IS was selling oil to middlemen who in turn were involved in smuggling the oil across the frontier to Turkey.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-israel-turkey-idUSKCN0V421N

So, there are these rumors that an intervention in Libya is getting more likely. Apparently the US, the UK, France and Italy already have started some activity. They might go beyond just bombing this time.

So, there are these rumors that an intervention in Libya is getting more likely. Apparently the US, the UK, France and Italy already have started some activity. They might go beyond just bombing this time.

Saudi Arabia did offer ground troops aswell, the US department did welcome it.

http://www.ibtimes.com/saudi-arabia-ground-troops-syria-offer-welcomed-us-department-defense-secretary-ash-2295553

An intervention for ground troops wont be highly likely a walk in the park,  dangerous city battles against expirienced war veterans in the remained ruins.

Saudi Arabia did offer ground troops aswell, the US department did welcome it.

http://www.ibtimes.com/saudi-arabia-ground-troops-syria-offer-welcomed-us-department-defense-secretary-ash-2295553

I think this is only about Syria. Which is actually quite interesting, because it shows once more that Europe and the US are afraid to do the same.

An intervention for ground troops wont be highly likely a walk in the park,  dangerous city battles against expirienced war veterans in the remained ruins.

Probably. It seems that these guys like to leave snipers and booby traps behind. But if the Iraqis could do that in Ramadi and Tikrit (with some help from Iran), I don't see why we can't do that in Libya.

As far as I'm concerned the sooner the better. We have seen what happens when no one acts.

Okay, we have also seen what happens when someone does act. I guess the point is to act in the right way.

I think this is only about Syria. Which is actually quite interesting, because it shows once more that Europe and the US are afraid to do the same.

Yes it's very unlikely that SA or Qatar will be allowed by the US to put troops on Libyan ground as they are already destabilizing the country by supporting the unoffical islamist governement. But Egypt, and maybe Tunisia could put troops on the ground together with Western special forces (and maybe FFL), as they are suffering from libyan destabilization.

Actually, I donno if we will see an US led intervention with ground troops.

This sounds complicated and russia is engaged aswell, would such ground troops really fight just ISIS and radicals

or also the Syrian Army ? It rather looks like the plan from the beginning to topple Assad has begun to waver.

Yes it's very unlikely that SA or Qatar will be allowed by the US to put troops on Libyan ground as they are already destabilizing the country by supporting the unoffical islamist governement.

I think so, yes. But they will definitely try something. My dad was in Bosnia with IFOR, and he told me a few times about how these guys were giving money (I think 700 dollars) to women covering their face. He wasn't really happy with that.

But Egypt, and maybe Tunisia could put troops on the ground together with Western special forces (and maybe FFL), as they are suffering from libyan destabilization.

I'm fine with Tunisia, less with Egypt. And as far as I understand things are moving already. Incidentally, Tunisia is building a sort of wall with Libya, with help from the US and Germany:

http://www.ibtimes.com/anti-isis-wall-tunisia-builds-barrier-libyan-border-keep-out-extremists-2297827

Actually, I donno if we will see an US led intervention with ground troops.

Depends. Maybe not in Syria :-)

I don't know if it will be US led anyway.

VICE News has obtained footage taken from the headcam of an Islamic State (IS) fighter who died in March while battling Kurdish peshmerga troops in northern Iraq. The clash took place about 30 miles north of Mosul.

Unlike IS propaganda, which often presents sweeping battlefield victories, the video shows chaos, panic, and the fighters retreating.

VICE News shows the grim reality of an IS foot soldier.

https://news.vice.com/video/what-its-really-like-to-fight-for-the-islamic-state

• Like 1

Yeah, looks like a tragical Benny Hill movie.

It's easier to shoot unarmed civilians in the streets of Paris or Bruxelles than fighting real soldiers, for sure.

I was thinking about posting it myself.

Yes, pretty pathetic. And yet they have been there for years, and no one except the Kurds (the Iraqis more recently) dare fight them. So they must be doing something right.

Pretty interesting, I would say.

I was thinking about posting it myself.

Yes, pretty pathetic. And yet they have been there for years, and no one except the Kurds (the Iraqis more recently) dare fight them. So they must be doing something right.

Pretty interesting, I would say.

you forgot Jordan, they offended whole nation

you forgot Jordan, they offended whole nation

From what I remember they didn't go much further than bombing together with the rest of the coalition, if I understand what you are saying. I think the Iraqis and Assad take the second place after the Kurds. After that, I can't tell.

Assad is hardly fighting against IS, apart in Palmyra . It's not his interest, cause since IS appeared in Syria, International opinion has moved in favor of avoiding to harm the regime some more. But Assad and IS are objective allies against other oponents, others sunnis movements or Kurds.

From what I remember they didn't go much further than bombing together with the rest of the coalition, if I understand what you are saying. I think the Iraqis and Assad take the second place after the Kurds. After that, I can't tell.

yes, they took part in the coalition too and

no, next to that Jordan is waging it's own 'ops' because IS pose direct threat to them ...

and Jordan King don't want his country to end like Lebanon and Syria or Libya (imho that would be shame)

yes, they took part in the coalition too and

no, next to that Jordan is waging it's own 'ops' because IS pose direct threat to them ...

I have to say I can't find news about this. It's hard for me to believe that they did more than the American special forces sent by Obama. Which, so far, hasn't been a lot.

Not exactly on topic, but I didn't feel like creating a separate thread. Wife beating techniques:

http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/5444.htm

Quite impressive, and still it seems to be very moderate compared to what actually happens in Saudi Arabia. Apparently this was broadcasted on Saudi tv

Perfectly good thread, Saudi Arabia is one of the biggest supporters of IS. Or, according to some people, Saudi Arabia is the islamic state itself... (And yes, the main ally of USA in the region...)

a group called "pixelhelper" has target the embassy of saudi-arabia in germany with a beamer which says "DAESH bank"

in other words "IS supporters"

13237607_10204940485992428_7116325453409

that the whole country, or the government, supports ISIS is maybe a bit too much, but I do believe that many people in Saudi Arabia are supporting ISIS. Which is indeed the reason why I posted that link here

that the whole country, or the government, supports ISIS is maybe a bit too much, but I do believe that many people in Saudi Arabia are supporting ISIS. Which is indeed the reason why I posted that link here

I'm sure there are a select few government officials in Saudi Arabia that are definitely supporting ISIS.  Just like how some of them supported Al Qaeda and helped fund the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center.  There's a reason why some of that intelligence is still classified.

I'm sure there are a select few government officials in Saudi Arabia that are definitely supporting ISIS.  Just like how some of them supported Al Qaeda and helped fund the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center.  There's a reason why some of that intelligence is still classified.

I agree. A place like Saudi Arabia can't be insensible to the fascination of ISIS. Put also all or almost all the other Sunni gulf countries. At least part of the population, even if maybe not so large, must be with them. That includes part of the government officials.

Arming terrorists one lost shipment at a time, they dont even try anymore when questioned.. 

didnt they only recently lose 500 million worth of military equipment in Yemen? how does that even happen unless its supposed to...