klamacz

Firing from Vehicles feedback

It would be great if we would be able to use our binoculars from crew gunner seat. Sometimes its hard to tell who are we engaging (well apart from those who are shooting at us already).

I believe this was mentioned in a recent OPREP from the devs. Not sure on timings for it though.

#EDIT#

Found it - its mentioned in here, being worked on by "An Elite Task Force" :D

SITREP #93

Edited by Flax_

Are there any plans to implement the FFV functionality in more vehicles in the future? I think SDVs would greatly benefit from this feature.

Are there any plans to implement the FFV functionality in more vehicles in the future? I think SDVs would greatly benefit from this feature.

Can't believe I never thought of that. The two back seat divers could utilise their SDARs.

With the changes being made to how FFV works on Dev branch, would it be ok if we were given a way to change the turning radius for a FFV position whilst its turned out without effecting the turned in turning radius?

Edited by deltagamer

Will other vehicles get this feature also? It would be great to have this in Hunter, etc.

Will other vehicles get this feature also? It would be great to have this in Hunter, etc.

You mean with lowered window in Hunter right?

I don't want to see this:

screen-shot-2013-10-09-at-12.52.14-pm.png

I think (and hope) for MRAPs/APC it would be to be able to use the top hatches as FFV positions rather than getting Gangsta.....

cheers

Some MRAPs (not those in Arma 3, Marauder comes to mind) may have a small gun port in the door, but other than that the windows are fixed and cannot be opened. So top hatches would be the only option. The problem is that it would really ugly if someone would float above his seat or be standing on it. Only the (RL) Strider has seats, that can be elevated, to allow above hatch observation. FFV for APC passengers would be nice, but with the same issues as above.

Some MRAPs (not those in Arma 3, Marauder comes to mind) may have a small gun port in the door, but other than that the windows are fixed and cannot be opened. So top hatches would be the only option. The problem is that it would really ugly if someone would float above his seat or be standing on it. Only the (RL) Strider has seats, that can be elevated, to allow above hatch observation. FFV for APC passengers would be nice, but with the same issues as above.

That can always be fixed though. Why the hell would there be a hatch in the top if it can't be accessed internally? Not sure if it's just the model or not, but again, it could be fixed to handle FFV/observation only from that hatch.

With the changes being made to how FFV works on Dev branch, would it be ok if we were given a way to change the turning radius for a FFV position whilst its turned out without effecting the turned in turning radius?

While minElev, maxElev, minTurn and maxTurn should work for turned-in limits, you have also new params for turned-out FFV (minOutElev, maxOutElev, initOutElev, minOutTurn, maxOutTurn, initOutTurn). Is this what you are looking for?

You mean with lowered window in Hunter right?

I don't want to see this:

Whereas that's exactly what I expected when FFV was announced...
While minElev, maxElev, minTurn and maxTurn should work for turned-in limits, you have also new params for turned-out FFV (minOutElev, maxOutElev, initOutElev, minOutTurn, maxOutTurn, initOutTurn). Is this what you are looking for?
Great to see!

Brilliant, thanks for that. I didn't notice those options were available already.

Small thing i noticed today in t100 as commander. Normally i do not have cross hair on, but when turned out as commander there was a cross hair depsite my settings to have it off. dont think it should be there.

and please loosen up the angle contraits when on the back of vechiles for players. it feels very robotic and restrictive.

Small thing i noticed today in t100 as commander. Normally i do not have cross hair on, but when turned out as commander there was a cross hair depsite my settings to have it off. dont think it should be there.

and please loosen up the angle contraits when on the back of vechiles for players. it feels very robotic and restrictive.

Altis, no mods, dev branch, BLUEFOR riflemen, empty T-100, disabled crosshair in game difficulty settings.

Commander turns out without crosshair, gunner the same, but driver has crosshair.Jumping out works

fine - no crosshair.

arma3%202015-03-24%2013-16-42-567_zpsccm4rpdv.jpg

arma3%202015-03-24%2013-16-12-527_zpsaq9yhnox.jpg

Do you want me to make a Feedback ticket?

Edited by enex

...it feels very robotic and restrictive.

Personally it would feel more robotic for me if I was able to turn my entire upper-body an infinite number of times independently from my hips and lower body, without suffering spinal damage and/or death. Having some sort of limitation has to be in there at some point to prevent you just continuously rotating around and around unrealistically.

Personally it would feel more robotic for me if I was able to turn my entire upper-body an infinite number of times independently from my hips and lower body, without suffering spinal damage and/or death. Having some sort of limitation has to be in there at some point to prevent you just continuously rotating around and around unrealistically.

yes i agree, but right now many ffv positions feel like that have a 30% range of movement with the rifle up but a shit load greater range with rifle down. And that increased range of movement doesnt currently feel like an unnaturally spine twisting exertion. and the robotic reference is to how there's no softet drop ooff to the movement but a hard limit like you're hitting an invisible wall.

guess the bottom line imo is that intuitively i think i should be able to turn to point in that direction (within reasonable human limits like you say ) with the rifle but the angle we are constrained to prevents that.

yes i agree, but right now many ffv positions feel like that have a 30% range of movement with the rifle up but a shit load greater range with rifle down. And that increased range of movement doesnt currently feel like an unnaturally spine twisting exertion. and the robotic reference is to how there's no softet drop ooff to the movement but a hard limit like you're hitting an invisible wall.

guess the bottom line imo is that intuitively i think i should be able to turn to point in that direction (within reasonable human limits like you say ) with the rifle but the angle we are constrained to prevents that.

I think a lot of it is down to a design choice. Due to the way in which FFV was implemented, you are unable to shoot either other embarked crew or the vehicle itself. To minimise this being obvious, many of the FFV positions were coded with a hard limit to prevent you from flagging other passengers/crew with your weapon and seemingly shooting through them.

I think a lot of it is down to a design choice. Due to the way in which FFV was implemented, you are unable to shoot either other embarked crew or the vehicle itself. To minimise this being obvious, many of the FFV positions were coded with a hard limit to prevent you from flagging other passengers/crew with your weapon and seemingly shooting through them.
After all the times that I've shot "through" people with vehicle-mounted weapons (i.e. when we were both turned out) I can see why BI would try to "minimise this being obvious" with personal weapon FFV...

100% pure win, very impressed the screenshot dores'nt do the new game feature justice. Somthing I think alot have wanted for awhile was commander slot to be able to equipt rifles/pistols or binoes while turned out. TY BIS :D

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/540770305391562029/FDA9D12D6DD19489D28780F4CB619044DA960998/

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/540770305391562117/DAD6C68CD043F6E055D8BEFAF6E7880116AF60B9/

After all the times that I've shot "through" people with vehicle-mounted weapons (i.e. when we were both turned out) I can see why BI would try to "minimise this being obvious" with personal weapon FFV...

That said, a native setting or mod that allows this would be most welcome. Think of the potential for scenarios that you would be able to shoot through the windshield in a forced vehicle stop for example, or keep a prisoner covered with your weapon in the back of a 5-ton. Imagine if you were able to shoot from the pilot's seat of the little bird after a dead stick autorotation while buying time to undo your seat restraints. Heck, being able to shoot from chairs in the game would be ace.

Certainly, there are a lot of merits to enforcing muzzle discipline in vehicles but the potential of the FFV system can be pushed way further :)

Awesome addition on the Offroad, it's fun as tits to spray lead on upcoming roadblocks!  :coop:

The new FFV limits are great too but I noticed one thing, when the Offroad doesn't have the tailgate it's a bit awkward to engage targets say in a car chase when there's nothing in the way, but the limits are still there, I assume this is not a trivial thing to fix tho.

Good stuff nevertheless, keep it coming!

• Like 1

Liking the potential in the new ffv positions

Would like to see more of a crouch (legs apart) stable pose for the two positions in the 'turned out' ffv. Maybe outside foot, up on the side of the bed?

The transition animation is also currently too fast.

Like where ffv is headed though with the mention of LSV's in the roadmap update... cough! polaris mrzr cough!...

I'm inclined to assert that the FFV limits should actually allow the full seated firing art irrespective of passengers for three main reasons;

1. When you are not full up in a vehicle, this allows you to fire in a more useful arc.
  2. If you need to shoot a prisoner  ;)
  3. Nowhere else in the game is there a system with hard limits for the friendly fire potential of infantrymen, therefore it seems rather strange that there should be one in FFV.

​Is there any necessity to mechanically abdicate responsibility of the player from muzzle discipline between the infantry simulation and being seated in a vehicle? My inclination is to say probably not.

Yes, there is a benefit that provides a barrier between player frustration due to carelessness and good teamplay in many use cases, but it also prevents the potential of the system being used in more emergent circumstances, which arguable is what ArmA has been best at  B)

I will also add that this has a development benefit of potentially reducing the amount of work it will take to do FFV as it takes away some level of specificity in setting FFV limits for a given seating position.

And look I can't be the only guy who wants to shoot through the windscreen in a car!

• Like 1