klamacz

Firing from Vehicles feedback

I have noticed that AI has sometimes lot of problems to even start shooting at a known target. As if their targeting priorities were messed up or something. Tested with 4 machinegunners in offroad.

I know I asked this a few das back but am I the only one who thinks that the 2 near cab FFV positions in the off roads should be standing and facing forward? (I the absence of 360 degree view - which is obviously the ideal)

Liking todays improvements with the view angles but PLEASE BIS do not stop there! Everyone has been waiting for FFV for so long now it would be a huge shame if it is not given the necessary love to "be all it can be";-)

thanks again for the efforts so far but like many others the restrictive feel of FFV (in terms of view, vehicle positions and hopefully temporarily limited vehicles is killing me!)

What I also would like to see improved:

When you sit on a FFV slot with a lowered rifle and move your mouse, your whole upper body will turn, like it would turn when the weapon would be raised. That means that your free view is very limited, you have to ALT+Look to get the full field of view like in other cargo positions.

So, why not turn the lowered weapon position into a normal passenger animation where the mouse directly moves the head, and only enable upper body controll when the weapon is raised? It would be much more intuitive and would not looks as bad as when people are rotating with their whole upper body always when they want to look somewhere else.

ok so i tried if i can animate the proxy itself and it works. the problem is though that the camera and crosshair/aim in general don't react to that. so i tried pretty much everything now. seems like we really need the ability to make the feet follow added by you guys (devs). if you have more insight on how this might be achieved with mods, i'm all ears. until then i will keep asking for more control via config :p

here's a video showing what happens when you animate the proxy:

ok so i tried if i can animate the proxy itself and it works. the problem is though that the camera and crosshair/aim in general don't react to that. so i tried pretty much everything now. seems like we really need the ability to make the feet follow added by you guys (devs). if you have more insight on how this might be achieved with mods, i'm all ears. until then i will keep asking for more control via config :p

Good effort, mate. Hopefully it will have some effect on the feature.

Interesting! If it is possible to fix(by BIS), then you should try to link view direction with the proxy rotation. Amazing! Is it synchronized in MP?

It was tweaked this way so long rifles (with suppressors) don't overlap with Hellcat's rocketpods. WHile there are some limits that still need tweaking, the idea was not to let weapons overlap with vehicle geometry in external view. It could not be accomplished everywhere (i.e. Hummingbird benches) but the less overlapping, the better.

Can´t you introduce vertical limits together with the horizontal ones? That way you could point your rifle at everything above the missile pod.

When I fire from vehicle using weapon sights, camera shakes like bouncing balls :(

camera moves ground to air randomly.

Is this a known issue?

Interesting! If it is possible to fix(by BIS), then you should try to link view direction with the proxy rotation. Amazing! Is it synchronized in MP?

i don't see why it wouldn't be synced. it's basically a normal vehicle animation. the idea is to either have 180 view and being able to switch to the "other" 180 using a button or something or getting 360 from the start and making the legs follow dynamically (basically just making hte feet follow like when standing on terrain). maybe even have them drag behind. one could do lots of nice detailed things with this, if you accompany it with some nice character animations.

EDIT: it would be ideal if what Smookie said would actually work. being that both anim masks "aiming" and "aimingbody" would be both recognized by and also work exactly like normal with the cargoturret system. so far it seems like "aimingbody" is ignored.

Edited by Bad Benson

Engine already supports animationSource checking for animating doors/windows/whatever you want. FFV position can be configured to be enabled only when animation state is finished.

Okey... now please do it, I couldn't stand the pain after this tease! :D

Okey... now please do it, I couldn't stand the pain after this tease! :D

What LAxemann said;-)

Please!!!

Please!!!

Please, while there are some interesting ideas, that might be considered,

you have to also remember, that it is just not possible to do all those animations in a week. Or a month.

Edited by Dr. Hladik

When I fire from vehicle using weapon sights, camera shakes like bouncing balls :(

camera moves ground to air randomly.

Is this a known issue?

I had a rather special problem that when the time is accelerated 4x and I fire shots while aiming down sights, the camera switchs to ground for split-seconds. I made a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5dkipxsjf0j9mq/FFV%204xtime%20aim1.avi?dl=0 Is this the same problem as you have?

It was likely caused by some data corruption, as it occured in my second install for dev branch via SteamCMD, while it didn't happen when I changed my "normal" steam-installed version to dev. (also @BIS_Iceman if you are reading this)

Edited by rndmplyr

[Feedback on]

-i´ve had terrible problems entering the littlebirds "fire from" position at first, using a remote controled unit. The action menu entry worked okay but it´d always boot me out once i got in.

Deactivated all mods, problem persisted, tried again a few times (withouth restarting arma another time), and it suddenly worked *shrugs*

-entering a "fire from" position on the littlebird with a Zeus remote-controled unit results in "laggy as hell warping helicopter ride"

you have to also remember, that it is just not possible to do all those animations in a week. Or a month.

Well, could you implement it to where helicopters like the Mi-48 and UH-80 had manually openable doors and once that animation state was "true" you could fire from the outer most seats? I, personally would really enjoy something like that. I feel like that would be really nice to have. Plus those door animations are finished.

Are you asking for an official doing of what could be done through a config mod -- re-enabling support for the existing manually openable doors (previously available on the Mi-48 and UH-80 briefly during last year's beta period) combined with what was previously described (enablePersonTurret depending on animation state) -- or something more specific?

I had a rather special problem that when the time is accelerated 4x and I fire shots while aiming down sights, the camera switchs to ground for split-seconds. I made a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5dkipxsjf0j9mq/FFV%204xtime%20aim1.avi?dl=0 Is this the same problem as you have?

It was likely caused by some data corruption, as it occured in my second install for dev branch via SteamCMD, while it didn't happen when I changed my "normal" steam-installed version to dev. (also @BIS_Iceman if you are reading this)

Yep. Same symptom as mine. Should delete my dev data and re-install dev.

I remembered that sometimes when you shoot with sights near the grass, that thing happens to.

Some data of sights are corrupting I think...

Are you asking for an official doing of what could be done through a config mod -- re-enabling support for the existing manually openable doors (previously available on the Mi-48 and UH-80 briefly during last year's beta period) combined with what was previously described (enablePersonTurret depending on animation state) -- or something more specific?

Exactly what I'm asking, actually.

Config mod or not, AFAIR the geometry old wasn't animated, so this isn't easily nodded. Besides "Mods" isn't always the right answer.

@ Alwarren: That's exactly why I asked devilslayersbane if he was asking that the config change be done officially plus what klamacz described re: animationSource, or if I was mistaking what his request meant... though I distinctly remember that at least some of the vehicles at the time did have working 'animated' geometry -- perhaps it was the armored cars and not the helos? Because I distinctly remember the helos having the userActions enabled at the time.

@ Alwarren: That's exactly why I asked devilslayersbane if he was asking that the config change be done officially plus what klamacz described re: animationSource, or if I was mistaking what his request meant... though I distinctly remember that at least some of the vehicles at the time did have working 'animated' geometry -- perhaps it was the armored cars and not the helos? Because I distinctly remember the helos having the userActions enabled at the time.

IIRC, grenades and bullets bounced on the doors even if they were open. The fire geometry LOD of the mraps clearly didn't have animations included, only the visible lods, which, AFAIK, was the reason the feature was taken out again. Which is too bad, since I thought it was a really nice thing to have doors actually open when you get into a vehicle as opposed to what we have now (apparently, osmosis).

I fully realize that it is now too late in the game but still I wish that feature hadn't been removed in the first place - as was done with quite a number of features. BUgfixing through feature removal. *sigh*

I fully realize that it is now too late in the game but still I wish that feature hadn't been removed in the first place - as was done with quite a number of features. BUgfixing through feature removal. *sigh*

It's a known BI method to just scrap things they unfortunately can't fix. Same thing happened to beta clouds and most recently guaranteed messages!

Dr. Hladik - thanks for the reply and happy this is a "work in progress.."

Guessing a lot of people (myself included) just are hoping for continued improvements regarding the current limitations (in the FFV view, configured locations and number of vehicle FFV works from) I personally would be happier with some "Exorcist-style" spinning torso that would allow 360 degree range where appropriate and then wait for a decent animation solution further down the line. I understand that some of the requests will also be dependent on the door animations returning which, while they were not perfect (seem to remember you couldn't lob a frag into the vehicle), were really impressive.

Thanks to all at BIS for finally bringing FFV to the game. I share the view of apparently many that I pre-bought all the DLC downloads not for the content but to support the "free features" paticularly FFV.

cheers

Edited by petek

The vehicles with working animated geometry are the UH-80, Mi-48, CH-49, and Ifrit. The vehicles that have animations that the geometry isn't working is the Strider and the Hunter. I don't believe that the CH-49's cargo ramp geometry animated, but the side doors did.

IIRC, grenades and bullets bounced on the doors even if they were open. The fire geometry LOD of the mraps clearly didn't have animations included, only the visible lods, which, AFAIK, was the reason the feature was taken out again. Which is too bad, since I thought it was a really nice thing to have doors actually open when you get into a vehicle as opposed to what we have now (apparently, osmosis).
I remember the explanation at the time being "better none at all than only some but not others for seemingly-to-the-less-informed-no reason for the inconsistency". At the time I thought "rushing to meet release date" since they never mentioned the possibility of allocating time to fixing all vehicle models, but they never revisited this post-launch either...

(Then again, this thread had Dr. Hladik professing to be interested in some community ideas but declare that "it is just not possible to do all those animations in a week. Or a month." I guess the attitude of "meet (new) deadline at all costs" still reigns supreme. :/ )