Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

[Poll] MANW Rewards

Do you think people whose work is selected should earn a small gift?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think people whose work is selected should earn a small gift?

• Yes, they deserve it anyway for the work they've done.
    • No, losers are losers. It's not my problem / concern.

MANW Rewards

Hi.

I know only the 3 best of each category will be rewarded.

However, it may lead to some frustration for those who have spent a lot of time creating something for BIS and the community.

So I wondered if a small prize could be awarded to those who passed the first step (the 20 ones selected in each category or even the 10 ones), like expansion or DLC bundle offered by BIS.

Nothing too big, just to say "Thanks for spending your free time to create something for the community, to improve / enhance the game..."

What do you think?

I want a Bohemia Interactive coffee mug! ;)

The contest rules are pretty clear and to be fair, if they'd do such thing for contestants they should also do it for people who are not on MANW but still contribute(d) to the community in the same way. And that would be quite a long list I guess. I don't expect anything in return for spending so much quality free time and I don't think I'll make it to the top 3 anyway. MANW was a great motivator but not because of the prizes. I hope they continue doing contests in the future.

However, I wouldn't say no to a chocolate Santa for christmas... :)

Edited by IndeedPete

As IndeedPete stated, the rules are pretty clear on the subject and you agreed to them. Everyone who enters is rewarded with a forum badge. It's not really much of a contest if everyone wins a prize. But it seems like every contest these days must contain a "Good Effort" type of reward so that no one feels left out. How times have changed...

Everyone who enters is rewarded with a forum badge.

Speaking of which, anybody knows where I could have dropped mine?^^

Speaking of which, anybody knows where I could have dropped mine?^^

Are you sure that your email address is exactly the same for the entry and your email used on the forum?

You shouldn't be able to lose something and still be rewarded for it. Especially when there have been multiple games before where people spent probably a lot more time and effort creating things for the community without promise of a reward, where as MANW has clearly been a contest.

The reason they have a main prize for First place, or even maybe up to 3rd place, is clear. It means that if your looking to get up there, that's the reason some have entered the competition. Look up the definition of competition, and you can see that it's not meant to be a fair thing. But the Prize, is what is driving those who enter, to make the best content. What BIS does with what is created though, idk. That'll be interesting to see. I wish the best of luck to all who have entered. This community can pull off a lot of awesome stuff.

Well I guess it wouldn´t hurt to gift those people some little thing, more a symbol than something od real value.

Well I guess it wouldn´t hurt to gift those people some little thing, more a symbol than something od real value.

You mean something like community forum badge or something?

Are you sure that your email address is exactly the same for the entry and your email used on the forum?

Double checked, wasn't the case. One time I had @gmail.com and the other one was @googlemail.com. Thanks.^^

However, it may lead to some frustration for those who have spent a lot of time creating something for BIS and the community.

[...]

Nothing too big, just to say "Thanks for spending your free time to create something for the community, to improve / enhance the game..."

This is something that has already been happening since the beginning of this game in 2001.

But if your main reason for being around here for some sort of acknowledgement and/or incentive, well...

It is a competition. Just like any other competition. Most loose, some win...

This is not my reason.

I wanted to create missions and campaigns since ArmA 2 (and done a lot) since I didn't find what I expected / wanted in the vanilla content.

So, when the contest came in, I naturally went in.

However, since ArmA 2, even if some people rate and comment my work (and even other people work in general), most of them are only "hey, this doesn't work, fix it please", with not even 1 kind word like "THANKS (for the work). there is a problem here, can you fix it please". Or worst, sometimes it's just "can't have it work with my mods, it sucks, this is just shit".

Just like if people don't know or don't care how much it takes to create content for them.

This kind of behaviour is even demotivating (see here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?181216-Community-interest-in-User-Made-Missions)

So, I think that even if it's a contest (with winners and losers of course), people DO spend a lot of time and it takes a lot of work to do it. So, as it's a main event to create something for the community and also for BIS to value their games, it could be just right to thanks the contestant IMO. Even with a small insignificant thing, just something to say "thanks for your effort, even if you didn't win".

But it seems I'm wrong and some people grant others work for acquired and normal :(

Just like if people don't know or don't care how much it takes to create content for them.

IMO it's mostly because they don't know. Or don't care. But mostly don't know and don't care. Although in my case even if indeed most players write any feedback only when a problem appear, they mostly leave also some kind word, so it's not that bad. In the last posts of linked thread we're however discussing another reason of the lack of appreciation for hard work.

Anyway, I would guess, BIS will thank to all. I do not expect less. Nor more.

This is something that has already been happening since the beginning of this game in 2001.

But if your main reason for being around here for some sort of acknowledgement and/or incentive, well...

Agreed.

No. As I said in your other thread, there's no reason for it. What makes MANW entries better than the rest of the community's work? Hundreds if not thousands of people over the last 13 years have been pouring their time, blood, sweat, and tears into this series, making addons and mods and scripts and missions and everything else. They do so because they choose to do so, knowing there isn't going to be a reward at the end of it.

If you lose, you lose. The best out of each category will get such rewards as defined in the rules of the competition, and everybody else will get nothing more than the appreciation of the people who use their work, just like every addonmaker in the last 13 years. Now, you could add a "Donate" button to your signature or website, and some people might give you a few bucks here and there, but if you're only doing stuff to get a reward (as I feared MANW would cause) then I am afraid you have definitely picked the wrong community/game.

-Edit-

Perhaps you are only doing it with an expectation of some reward, Wiki? I remember you did a lot of A2, but then you "quit" last year, and said you wouldn't be making anything for A3. Did you only come back because of MANW?

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

Hum, it's tight: 16 yes, 16 no :)

Anyway, I dont think it will happen somehow.