Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

[MANW] Who will win?

Hi guys.

As BIS dev said, there are a lot of entries in the contest by now, and only 1 month left before the closure.

So, I wonder: according to the entries here (http://makearmanotwar.com/entries) who do you think will win (or who dou you want to win), in each category?

My bet:

SP:

Kydoimos with "Resist"

Sarge Studio with "Delivrance"

Lato with "Hunter Six"

It will be tight, "Green Draw" and "MERCS" are in good position too.

MP:

I have no idea, haven't looked at it

Addon:

John Spartan and Saul with "F/A-18X Black Wasp"

Nkey with "Task Force Arrowhead Radio"

fabrizioT with "bCombat"

Total Modification:

VeteranMod with "VTN"

Super61 with "Operation Irene" (I hope... but no information since then announcement of the entry...)

Red Hammer Studio with "Escalation"

Yeah I'm not sure about the other categories but here are my thoughts.

Addon:

John Spartan and Saul with "F/A-18X Black Wasp"

Olli Koskelainen with "F-35C Lighting II"

both are looking very nice

Total Modification:

VeteranMod with "VTN"

Red Hammer Studio with "Escalation"

Epoch Mod Team with "Epoch"

Don't forget Rydygier's Pilgrimage in SP as well as Doln's Poltergeist (provided he's still working it, there has been little news lately).

To be honest I kind of expected more from that contest.. There are not that many really good addons in there...

I really liked Peral's A10-C but I can't seem to find it on MANW anymore?

As for total conversion I think "Escalation'' looks really good.

To be honest I kind of expected more from that contest.. There are not that many really good addons in there...

Thought for sure we'd get a nice gore mod as well as a 3d scope. Ah well, at least slx's gibs still work in arma3.

Who will win? Very hard to guess. It's highly dependent on individual criteria, approach and evaluation priorities of each jury member. I would however expect at least some surprises comparing to popularity (number of votes/supports) order. Who I want to see as a winner? Me of course. :)

Well, there was few at least announced quite ambitious/wow-class projects, most for Total Conversion, but, I'm affraid, at least part of them is classical optimism/ambition overgrowing real possibilities case. Also not following them, so do not know, how many still is on the list. As for unrealized expectations, I do not see too many pro level team work. Not so much teams emerged at all, seems most prefer to work on their own. From the other hand, I saw so far no signs of disturbing things, "human nature pesimists" was predicting. What may be disappointing is relatively low level of really original/unique concepts and bold ideas. Maybe a few, rest is more or less standard clichés. Pity.

Anyway, seems MANW was expected as a bit more exciting/motivating/dynamic - at first we had 200 supports threshold for "promotion", and that was halved. Maybe people after all aren't that much after money, or simply, there is less amount of talented enough modders, than one could guess. And for sure not so much excitement around the people competing from the community and beyond - contest seems to be an interesting event mostly for competitors. AFAIK.

Edited by Rydygier

I really expected more submissions but there's still hope to see more I believe. So it's not good to start speculate yet in my opinion.

Addon category got some great stuff so far (Bornholm is my favorite) but I''m not sure about Total Modification and MP categories. I've just downloaded some SP missions last night so I'll see about that.

SP is what I'm interested in and have been following.

Kydoimos with RESIST: Likely winner I think, the voice acting is great but with only four missions it is much shorter.

Wiki: Yours is much longer, I really need to get round to playing more of it and it does appear to have "Classic ARMA" potential, i.e. lots of standard combat stuff and awesome playtime available.

Indeed Pete with M.E.R.C.S, a very innovative idea, great backstory and does have multiple endings, plus the extra work he's put into the dialogs for the shop system and his conversation system are great. (Liking the gambling as well. :D).

Hunter Six: Another great idea, seems well put together and I'm looking foward to playing it.

(I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I can't remember what).

No disrespect intended to anyone not mentioned here, these are just the projects I've been following most avidly.

I was really looking forward to Poltergeist but it appears that work on that project has stopped, which is a pity

I can't agree more, there is a complete lack of interest, especially for the addons and total conversion section of the contest.

Some entries were never updated nore finished...

I don't know who will win since nobody is able to vote, except for the singleplayer mission (that is the contest with many potential winner).

@Jona33: Thanks, glad to hear! And finally someone who actually tried the gambling! :D There were plans to make up a full blackjack implementation with cards and stuff but I thought nobody would care anyway. The gambling right now is basically just a quick implementation of Quasar from the Mass Effect trilogy and there are a few strategies that will most likely result in costant winning. (Means it could be exploided.)

Oh, and I've seen a vid on Doln's youtube account today. Sounds like he's still up and running. Maybe we can expect a surprise release of Poltergeist after all.

@Rydygier: Yes, many projects and also non-MANW content is the typical NATO invades/attacks/retreats from Altis/Stratis. While that's not a bad thing if well executed the stories behind it get boring quite fast. But I find there are also a few cool projects with interesting backgrounds in the SP category. Sadly, they don't seem to get the resonance the standard NATO projects get. A pity, I'll give you that.

I haven't checked the addon or full mod category for a while but I'm looking forward to the Jurassic Park mod. I'm really not a fan of the franchise but it could offer some interesting gameplay aspects. Other than that creating full blown mods in good quality requires a lot of manpower. While we SP guys can mostly work on our own it's probably much harder to find a competent and motivated team.

Overall, I'd have expected more MP projects as that seems to be the most favourite part of the game to the majority of players. I thought I'd be one of maybe a handful SP participants but it's getting cramped there lately. Then again, SP editing might be a little bit easier as one doesn't have to take netwrok aspects or locality into account.

Yes, many projects and also non-MANW content is the typical NATO invades/attacks/retreats from Altis/Stratis. While that's not a bad thing if well executed the stories behind it get boring quite fast.

I can wonder as long, as I want, but truth behind statistics seems indisputable - the core of the player base simply WANTS again and again and again repeat ad infinitum same clichés. :)

I'm looking forward to the Jurassic Park mod

Me too. Very promising. :) I want... no. I desire to try Artemis with it.

SP editing might be a little bit easier as one doesn't have to take netwrok aspects or locality into account.

It is easier, sometimes more than a little bit. The heavier scripted, the more difficult making MP mission is. And if you want fancy stuff, eg worthy of MANW, that usually means lots of code lines.

Edited by Rydygier

I can wonder as long, as I want, but truth behind statistics seems indisputable - the core of the player base simply WANTS again and again and again repeat ad infinitum same clichés. :)

Yes, and that's what I don't like about the Arma world or shooter games in general. It's always this scenario and it's always US against the random badguys. "Play in the role of US Marine Pvt. Thisandthat during the invasion of Whatsthatcalled... Take the role of US Army Sgt. Blablabla and shoot those damn terrorists... A small US recon force behind enemy lines..." and so on. Boring! There are around 200 different countries on this planet (number varying from time to time), can't we have scenarios from other perspectives for a change? I don't have anything against the US (well, we could always argue about their politics but this is the wrong thread) and I realise they're operating the most expensive force on this planet and have a major impact on Western entertainment culture (Hollywood movies, games ect.). But there could be so much more variety and there's so much potential for other factions, nations, groups - whatever. Also storywise! What I disliked about Arma 3's official content is the total underrepresentation of CSAT. A faction that has so much potential but is given only an underpart in the story (the stereotype badguy from the middle east). There's not even a real CSAT character that appears in the story, they're just a faceless enemy. Well, it is kind of hard to create proper CSAT characters with only three faces available for them I'll give BIS that... Despite the flaws of A2's Operation Harvest Red you actually had some villians (well, the Eastern Europe stereotype with Adidas sport suit and AK but it's something). Operation Arrowhead was a disappointment in that department as well.

Me too. Very promising. :) I want... no. I desire to try Artemis with it.

Can't wait to see the outcome of that! If the mod turns out well, maybe someone's able to port the anims and stuff to an Alien mod. A deep dark forest or city map with close quarter action, a few autocannons, Artemis controlling the Aliens and we'd have another awesome game experience. ;) Thinking about that, it would also work quite well with raptors, so Aliens are optional but cool nontheless.

Edited by IndeedPete

Yep. Of course, dinos are cliché too. But it's less clichéd cliché. :P

Hum, too Bad then, you probably won't like my campaign as it's exactly like that - the good old OFP spirit.

@Jona33

Thanks mate, but even though there are a lot of missions, Some are short and there are much more gifted guys making SP entries than me (for example, the ones I mentionned).

Hum, too Bad then, you probably won't like my campaign as it's exactly like that - the good old OFP spirit.

There's nothing wrong with the gameplay. (Doesn't really have an impact on the gameplay what nationality the player or the used factions have, does it?) It's just story-wise quite boring if you see the same story over and over again. And story as well as gameplay are both motivational factors for me. If I don't like one of them in a mission or campaign I tend to stop playing it. Notheless I'll try Aegean Spear once it's done and packed in a nice campaign PBO or addon. ;)

Thought for sure we'd get a nice gore mod as well as a 3d scope. Ah well, at least slx's gibs still work in arma3.

Can you tell me how you managed to get this working with Arma 3. I tried manually deleting all the mods out of SLX folder, except for the wounding system, and I can't get it to work.

Can you tell me how you managed to get this working with Arma 3. I tried manually deleting all the mods out of SLX folder, except for the wounding system, and I can't get it to work.

Thats strange as it generally seems to be isolated in Wounds -though there are some dependencies with things like Netcode so Im really not sure. Gibs works well enough but there are a few side effects like a burnt looking crater that appears under the deceased which is great and all after a GL attack but strange for a sniper death. Blood drops dripping also works and am not sure about blood wall splatter but I think it will. Also there are some weird animation issues at times with the wounded maybe because of deprecated animations but overall I still love it. Be prepared for a lot of config errors though..

Honestly I was secretly hoping SLX would make a return for the contest :pray:

Edited by froggyluv

i just want the contest to be over... so the community can go back to helping eachother out as they would not have anything to hide

i just want the contest to be over... so the community can go back to helping eachother out as they would not have anything to hide

Hahaha me too! But I've to recognize that we will get soon ( in less than a month ) a lot of awesome stuff that probably we wouldn't have had ( at least at this stage ) if it wasn't for the contest.

Thats strange as it generally seems to be isolated in Wounds -though there are some dependencies with things like Netcode so Im really not sure. Gibs works well enough but there are a few side effects like a burnt looking crater that appears under the deceased which is great and all after a GL attack but strange for a sniper death. Blood drops dripping also works and am not sure about blood wall splatter but I think it will. Also there are some weird animation issues at times with the wounded maybe because of deprecated animations but overall I still love it. Be prepared for a lot of config errors though..

Honestly I was secretly hoping SLX would make a return for the contest :pray:

Are you willing to upload your SLX mod folder to dropbox or somewhere else and send me a PM? I would really like to try it.

PM sent ^^

I'd also be interested in some little testing. If you don't mind. :)