Sign in to follow this  
St. Jimmy

Please add exclude filter option to server browser.

I made this video to show how good it would be to have exclude filter in the Arma 3 server browser.

You see that I've marked Wasteland, Life, KotH, Battle Royale, Breaking Point and Epoch servers because that's not what I'm looking for. They're cluttering the server browser so much that nobody without a huge amount of effort like I did for this video can find anything other than the servers that I excluded. No wonder that Life and Wasteland have so many players because that's almost all you can see in the browser. I just wonder do some people even know that there are other gamemodes in the game?

I'm sorry if any of you who made or like those game modes take this as an attack. This isn't attack against you. I can also sometimes enjoy those modes. It's just a bad thing that BIS hasn't include a good filter system in a sandbox game because people are looking for different experiences from Arma. Many other games don't need exclude filter because gamemodes are so restricted.

The current filter system just isn't enough because Arma 3 has grown so much that there are over 4000 servers. In the past this wasn't a problem because there wasn't so many servers until the DayZ happened in A2. You need to realise that Arma has grown up and this Arma isn't only about private gaming anymore!

The filter system really needs some love from BIS (and Steam?). I'm sure this isn't the only problem but it would at least be some kind of a workaround.

I agree that server browser needs work. Though you can set filter to Coop, CTI, etc. AFAIK game modes you listed are mostly RPG and Sandbox.

+1

Really needed, because most newbies to ArmA are greeted with literally hundreds of wasteland/altis life servers. I imagine it would be pretty confusing buying ArmA 3 and then only being able to

roleplay a civilian collecting apples'.

its a tragedy for years now :(

Yup, There needs to be some way to let the noobs actually see something that isn't altis life, ffs they might as well have a new tab for altis life in the Internet, Lan section lol

But yeah it really is a tragedy, also per your question "do they even know anything else"

They don't sometimes, they really think wasteland and life is arma 3, they know nothing different. :/

With all the anti altis life stuff aside even though I agree, every real game has a server browser with proper features such as this, it really is necessary.

I agree that server browser needs work. Though you can set filter to Coop, CTI, etc. AFAIK game modes you listed are mostly RPG and Sandbox.

I play mostly coop, so the that filter works well for me too. But yes, BIS Multiplayer lobbies are always pretty horrendous/ crying out for some features..How long did it take us to get a favourites? (4 generations..ouch! :) )

I play mostly coop, so the that filter works well for me too. But yes, BIS Multiplayer lobbies are always pretty horrendous/ crying out for some features..How long did it take us to get a favourites? (4 generations..ouch! :) )

there's a favourites feature? :eek: halleluja!!

there's a favourites feature? :eek: halleluja!!

yea, and it doesnt work like it should. you cant filter searches by favourite.

yea, and it doesnt work like it should. you cant filter searches by favourite.

You can sort the browser so it shows your favorited servers on top just like you can sort them by the amount of players. Just wait that all the servers are on the list just in case so you don't miss out a server that loads slowly. I'm not sure were you looking for that. But it naturally would be better to have favorite, last time played and friends playing tabs just like in DayZ and many other games.

/The favorite mark is the star. It's not the best one I've seen because there's no place where it says you can add anything to favorites, but you can click the star next to the server name and there's yellow star then in front of the server name. You can click a second time to turn it as the red star and naturally 3rd click makes it again a blank star.

Edited by St. Jimmy

You can sort the browser so it shows your favorited servers on top just like you can sort them by the amount of players. Just wait that all the servers are on the list just in case so you don't miss out a server that loads slowly. I'm not sure were you looking for that. But it naturally would be better to have favorite, last time played and friends playing tabs just like in DayZ and many other games.

/The favorite mark is the star. It's not the best one I've seen because there's no place where it says you can add anything to favorites, but you can click the star next to the server name and there's yellow star then in front of the server name. You can click a second time to turn it as the red star and naturally 3rd click makes it again a blank star.

Yes I'm aware of all that. Sometimes the whole list doesn't load and when it does it takes forever. If the whole list doesn't load there's a good chance all your favourites wont either. "It doesn't work like it should"

Well, first rule of server browsing in any game is filter under 100 ping, then it shouldn't take forever. Im sure you are aware but maybe you have it too high. I have it under 60 ping, the list gets considerately smaller and it loads/refreshes rather fast.

However, favorite servers should always load and first or better yet, there should be separate favorites tab just for favorites. Like in Battlelog for example.

On a side note, one with ping over 100 has no business on any public server in any game. Something surprising amount of players casually ignore in most games. Luckily some servers feature auto-kick. Developers should stop implementing quick match features as well.

in the arma3 alpha i was like "oh look funny, they still have to use the übercrappy old a2 serverbrwoser as a placeholder before they replace it on final release"

Please fix the server browser, it has been terrible since the alpha. Just make it better please (more filtering: 1pp, exclude, using which mods, history , favorites, ect ect ect ect.) .

It's not like it's a hot button controversial request, does anyone not want a better multiplayer menue?

it's just code.

Edited by Big_T

it's just code.

[whisper]I'm sorry. I am so, so sorry, but you need to run now. Once they get over their shock they will come for you, and it will be painful. I wish I could help you, I wish anybody could help you, but the only thing for you now is to run.[/whisper]

You sir read my mind,was thinking same thing last night,and i was i will post when i get up and find some time and look :) We should definetly have exclude filter in server browser,not evrybody wants to play altis life witch is like 80% of damn servers. XD

This is so needed.

but read the 3rd reply on this tracker from alpha :)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=2200

Wow!! March 14th 2013.... " Arma 3 is still Alpha and we are currently still working on the server browser UI. Stay tuned ;) "

we are tuned,, we are tuned... :cool:

and about dude commenting strangely, ( not sure if supposed to be funny ) about my comment on " It's just code" , I should have elaborated, it's just very simple coding to read the server info and parse in the Multiplayer UI. The whole filtering and selecting is relativley simple coding. I would budget one person about 4 hours of coding and about 4 hours of testing and fine tuning.

T

Well, first rule of server browsing in any game is filter under 100 ping, then it shouldn't take forever. Im sure you are aware but maybe you have it too high. I have it under 60 ping, the list gets considerately smaller and it loads/refreshes rather fast.

However, favorite servers should always load and first or better yet, there should be separate favorites tab just for favorites. Like in Battlelog for example.

On a side note, one with ping over 100 has no business on any public server in any game. Something surprising amount of players casually ignore in most games. Luckily some servers feature auto-kick. Developers should stop implementing quick match features as well.

The ingame serverbrowser just dont work that way. You can set it to show only serwers with ping 50ms and it will take excactly the same time to refresh the list.

This is bec it refreshes all 4-5000 servers first - after that it aply the filter to not show servers with higher ping than 50ms. And that goes for the few other filters too.

Wow!! March 14th 2013.... " Arma 3 is still Alpha and we are currently still working on the server browser UI. Stay tuned ;) "

we are tuned,, we are tuned... :cool:

and about dude commenting strangely, ( not sure if supposed to be funny ) about my comment on " It's just code" , I should have elaborated, it's just very simple coding to read the server info and parse in the Multiplayer UI. The whole filtering and selecting is relativley simple coding. I would budget one person about 4 hours of coding and about 4 hours of testing and fine tuning.

T

Supposed to be funny? SUPPOSED TO BE funny? Sir, you offend me. I hereby challenge you to a duel. As the offended party my choice of weaponry is a rubber chicken.

(On topic, the current browser does have some issues, and they definitely need to make it more clear to new players what the star is supposed to be used for.)

Supposed to be funny? SUPPOSED TO BE funny? Sir, you offend me. I hereby challenge you to a duel. As the offended party my choice of weaponry is a rubber chicken.

Lol duel accepted sir! I'm a master with the rubber chicken swinging mace.

Filter out all that Life ****? Ban it from mother earth? Completely? Send their underage users to play GTA or whatever? And not taint my ArmA any more? Now THAT is interesting. I'm in.

And yeah BI, as you are probably already working on it :D :D Give us Regex queries please. There should be free libraries.

Someone mentioned, "it's just code". I'd even say: It's just code.

@OP: your video is depressing.

Edited by tortuosit

Filter out all that Life ****? Ban it from mother earth? Completely? Send their underage users to play GTA or whatever? And not taint my ArmA any more? Now THAT is interesting. I'm in.

And yeah BI, as you are probably already working on it :D :D Give us Regex queries please. There should be free libraries.

Someone mentioned, "it's just code". I'd even say: It's just code.

@OP: your video is depressing.

Think on the bright side though: If so many people are playing the life stuff it will slowly bring over more mature players to Arma fold. Some, if not a small percentage of players are sure to cross over to the combat side. Right now there are like 500 players playing the asylum servers, I'm thinking some will play combat at some point.

So if the filtering does get implemented and you never see the life activities then BI will just get more sales and consequent funding for further development.

P.S. I was introduced to Arma 2 by way of Dayz Mod,(former Battlefield 1942,2,3 player) and I presently consider myself a relatively hardcore ARMA player by way of seeking simulation and realistic combat scenarios. I play some life from time to time.

T