Chairborne

Arma 2 AV-8B Harrier II Port

Nothing in the log accompanying that either I'm afraid Chairborne. No script errors or anything out of the ordinary. TGP even puts in some debug and all seems ok. I couldn't get the MFD to switch either. It flickers when I hit the scroll wheel option so I'm guessing it's trying but something immediately is turning it back?

Any reason you haven't added a turret to the pod built in to the model and done it that way? I've tried on 1-2 aircraft myself in the past and it's not easy so I know it's a tall order :)

Thanks for the release though, looking good and I love the new loadouts, really versatile.

Hmm i see, we were still debugging it yesterday and this morning when i tested it, it seemed to work fine, as in the camera feed was displayed correctly in the PIP.

The only problem i had was when i restarted the scenario and the feed went all black, apparently it's an engine issue so not much i can do there.

The pod is removable like a bomb or a rocket pod.

The idea was to have something more automated for the loadout editor so that it could detect the litening pod automatically and add the TGP option on its own.

I didn't think about the idea of a secondary turret but feels like an "improvised" solution just as well.

We desperately need BI to improve targeting systems, even BF2 had more sophisticated targeting solutions... :(

Back on the job.. Chair, I can get you the skins - but can you make the addon package ready for use; that means having different (maps) sections already spread out and named. As I saw that you also tackled the mirroring issue, you might set me up so I only have to add the texture by overwriting..

I am in the progress of finishing the following skins. That mostly means weathering and finalising.

AV-8B+ Harrier II, Italian Navy Gruppo Aerei Imbarcati

AV-8B+ Harrier II, USMC VMA-321"Ace of Spades"

AV-8B+ Harrier II, USMC VMA-214"Black Sheep"

AV-8B+ Harrier II, USMC VMA-211"Wake Island Avengers"

Harrier GR.7, RAF IV ® Sqn

Harrier GR.9, RAF IV ® Sqn

So that means for every skin;

AV8b_ext_as(_left).paa

AV8b_ext_as(_right).paa

AV8b_ext_co(_left).paa

AV8b_ext_co(_right).paa

AV8b_ext_nohq(_left).paa

AV8b_ext_nohq(_right).paa

AV8b_ext_smdi(_left).paa

AV8b_ext_smdi(_right).paa

And did you figure how to unmirror the wings as well?

Cheers bud - and great work!

Kaz

Edited by Kazimierz

Back on the job.. Chair, I can get you the skins - but can you make the addon package ready for use; that means having different (maps) sections already spread out and named. As I saw that you also tackled the mirroring issue, you might set me up so I only have to add the texture by overwriting..

I am in the progress of finishing the following skins. That mostly means weathering and finalising.

AV-8B+ Harrier II, Italian Navy Gruppo Aerei Imbarcati

AV-8B+ Harrier II, USMC VMA-321"Ace of Spades"

AV-8B+ Harrier II, USMC VMA-214"Black Sheep"

AV-8B+ Harrier II, USMC VMA-211"Wake Island Avengers"

Harrier GR.7, RAF IV ® Sqn

Harrier GR.9, RAF IV ® Sqn

So that means for every skin;

AV8b_ext_as(_left).paa

AV8b_ext_as(_right).paa

AV8b_ext_co(_left).paa

AV8b_ext_co(_right).paa

AV8b_ext_nohq(_left).paa

AV8b_ext_nohq(_right).paa

AV8b_ext_smdi(_left).paa

AV8b_ext_smdi(_right).paa

And did you figure how to unmirror the wings as well?

Cheers bud - and great work!

Kaz

I am sorry but i am not sure i understand your question.

The two selections for reskin are "Camo1" (left side of the harrier) and "Camo2" (right side).

The only difference is that the central landing gears are entirely under "Camo1" because it made more sense to me to do them that way.

The landing gear doors however are split just as well.

Every section of the harrier has already been split, this means that everything is unmirrored. Right wing, flap, elevator, etc are all under Camo2 and same goes for the left side with Camo1.

Here are three screenshots i made with colors assigned to both selections: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?183415-Arma-2-AV-8B-Harrier-II-Port&p=2950937&viewfull=1#post2950937

Green is Camo1, Red is Camo2.

As for the materials, i don't understand why you need them to be split as well as they are not supposed to change (there is no distinction between right and left side for RVMATs), and i am not sure you can change them either without having access to the source files directly. The harrier is pretty much symmetrical in that regard, so why do i need to split them?

Updated mod v0.4 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey Chairborne , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

I love it, works well with the vanilla jets in the game due to its speed

Allright - I get your angle. The SMDI and NOHQ probably don't need doubling.

However, ingame -the textures still appear mirrored.

How do you get this running? How can I see the unmirrored version?

And what texture files represent this? Do you need double texture.paa files?

Edited by Kazimierz

Hey Chairborne. Just so you know, the CVR7 Rockets launch from the Aim-9 hard points, I'm checking the other weapon's launchpoints later and I will update this post

Was wondering when my HUD would make it in here. Thank you for giving proper credit. :)

I'll be updating my AV8B here pretty soon, but I'll say you got me jealous of some of your new features.

Hey Chairborne. Just so you know, the CVR7 Rockets launch from the Aim-9 hard points, I'm checking the other weapon's launchpoints later and I will update this post

It's a known bug.

Rockets usually don't behave like missiles (which have a proper 3d model that gets "launched" when you fire), but use a memory point that is fixed in the model, meaning that no matter what hard point you mount them, they always get shot from the same point.

Now that i bored you with these technicalities, i'll see if there's any workaround.

Was wondering when my HUD would make it in here. Thank you for giving proper credit. :)

I'll be updating my AV8B here pretty soon, but I'll say you got me jealous of some of your new features.

Hehehe i took my time to update this but i made it worth it. :cool:

I wonder what do you have up your sleeve. ;)

It's a known bug.

Rockets usually don't behave like missiles (which have a proper 3d model that gets "launched" when you fire), but use a memory point that is fixed in the model, meaning that no matter what hard point you mount them, they always get shot from the same point.

Now that i bored you with these technicalities, i'll see if there's any workaround.

Hehehe i took my time to update this but i made it worth it. :cool:

I wonder what do you have up your sleeve. ;)

Alright, not criticizing your work at all, just wanted to remind you in case that was a missed bug. Really loving your Harrier :D If it isn't fixable then it isn't fixable

Don't worry man, it's cool. :cool: Without the community debugging my mods would be terribly harder.

I have a suggestion on your flares. EricJ does a setup that looks like this on his helicopter pack and its really useful for deploying flares."A- 3F/-" -> "B - 9F/0.5S" and so on. To get the full effect u would recommend you to download his Helicopter Mod for the Blackhawk and try it out. Nice update though works great for destroying Albatrosses.

The two selections for reskin are "Camo1" (left side of the harrier) and "Camo2" (right side).

The only difference is that the central landing gears are entirely under "Camo1" because it made more sense to me to do them that way. The landing gear doors however are split just as well. Every section of the harrier has already been split, this means that everything is unmirrored. Right wing, flap, elevator, etc are all under Camo2 and same goes for the left side with Camo1.

Here are three screenshots i made with colors assigned to both selections:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?183415-Arma-2-AV-8B-Harrier-II-Port&p=2950937&viewfull=1#post2950937

Green is Camo1, Red is Camo2.

That sounds really good. However, ingame -the textures still appear mirrored.

How do you get this running? How can I see the unmirrored version? And what texture files represent this? Do you need double texture.paa files?

As for the materials, i don't understand why you need them to be split as well as they are not supposed to change (there is no distinction between right and left side for RVMATs), and i am not sure you can change them either without having access to the source files directly. The harrier is pretty much symmetrical in that regard, so why do i need to split them?

Allright - I get your angle. The NOHQ probably don't need doubling. The SMDI does need doubling, since it gives depth and shine to the textures at hand -as far as I know. It might be possible to make a bland double-use SMDI map, but that means that textures will not have a special feature.

EDIT: does anyone know what the maximum texture resolution is for the .paa? Or how to boost textures?

Edited by Kazimierz

Yes maybe i didn't explain myself correctly.

Textures are unmirrored in the sense that a single texture is not applied to both sides anymore.

You have two sets of textures, one for the right and one for the left.

Either one of the two needs writings to be mirrored (don't remember which one) to show correctly most likely, however when the texture is applied to the airframe is oriented in the right way.

As for the smdi i still don't understand why you should keep two sets of it, there is no reason to have two sides for material files.

Even more, there's a lot more work involved and you can't change them dynamically (like you would for _co textures and hiddenselections), which means that for every different set of SMDIs you want to use you need to have an entire new 3d model and new RVMATs.

It's honestly not worth the trouble.

If you want to make a new SMDI map to change the current one it's ok but i'm not going to split the materials too. :(

Edit: max resolution should be 4096x4096, but im not sure whether you also need to adjust UV maps for it or not.

Hi Chairborne.

First, congrats for you work!

Second, how about making a single thread to regroup all your assets?

Would be much easier to find your work.

Thanks

I joined Community Upgrade Project a few days ago so expect most of my stuff to migrate there.

The harrier hasn't already been changed (currently we're using a very basic version that was in the works before i joined the team and has the loadout editor already set up), but i guess it's going to once we are at a good point with the works.

Yes maybe i didn't explain myself correctly.

Textures are unmirrored in the sense that a single texture is not applied to both sides anymore.

You have two sets of textures, one for the right and one for the left.

Either one of the two needs writings to be mirrored (don't remember which one) to show correctly most likely, however when the texture is applied to the airframe is oriented in the right way.

As for the smdi i still don't understand why you should keep two sets of it, there is no reason to have two sides for material files.

Even more, there's a lot more work involved and you can't change them dynamically (like you would for _co textures and hiddenselections), which means that for every different set of SMDIs you want to use you need to have an entire new 3d model and new RVMATs.

It's honestly not worth the trouble.

If you want to make a new SMDI map to change the current one it's ok but i'm not going to split the materials too. :(

Edit: max resolution should be 4096x4096, but im not sure whether you also need to adjust UV maps for it or not.

Working on the textures. I'll send them to you so you can implement them correctly. Are you planning to include a service menu -e.g. John Paul's? With several liveries and loadouts, that would be very nice.

Allright. Some nit picking to make this thing even more awesome; Sounds are amazing. Thank you chairborne. That makes a lot of difference.

Most importantly: to make this mod in any sense usable in the co-op environment (where most players are), we really-really-really need a precision guidance system for munitions.

GPS is an option, like the F-18 uses. Otherwise lazer-directed would be an option. Either way, you need a system that can deliver a bomb -within certain parameters- on a set location. That is even more important than a ISTARS system. In that way, you make the mod usable for any unit playing multiplayer operations.

I would separate the formation lights as separate lights. The collision light should only be the navigation lights (red,green,white) and strobes (red top and bottom strobe).

Having them separate would be more functional as formation lights are a combat feature for a/c.

Finally it would be nice to have more swing on the front wheel (but that may be a engine limitation).

And finally, do we have a suitable pilot mod? ;)

Working on the textures. I'll send them to you so you can implement them correctly. Are you planning to include a service menu -e.g. John Paul's? With several liveries and loadouts, that would be very nice.

Allright. Some nit picking to make this thing even more awesome; Sounds are amazing. Thank you chairborne. That makes a lot of difference.

Most importantly: to make this mod in any sense usable in the co-op environment (where most players are), we really-really-really need a precision guidance system for munitions.

GPS is an option, like the F-18 uses. Otherwise lazer-directed would be an option. Either way, you need a system that can deliver a bomb -within certain parameters- on a set location. That is even more important than a ISTARS system. In that way, you make the mod usable for any unit playing multiplayer operations.

I would separate the formation lights as separate lights. The collision light should only be the navigation lights (red,green,white) and strobes (red top and bottom strobe).

Having them separate would be more functional as formation lights are a combat feature for a/c.

Finally it would be nice to have more swing on the front wheel (but that may be a engine limitation).

And finally, do we have a suitable pilot mod? ;)

You will be seeing my AV8B updating here in a day or two with separate formation lights and collision lights. Granted Chairborne has some things up and over my version.

Honestly maybe we should just roll this project into one at this point, we're pretty much just competing for the same goal haha. My next project is a load-out editor for the bird.

Hopefully when ACE3 missile guidance works correctly again, we can set up the GBU's to run off of that.

As i mentioned earlier (or maybe i didn't lol), since i joined the Community Upgrade Project most of my assets will transition there, and we have a loadout selector already up and running.

Actually, the CUP harrier (which was made before i joined) already has a loadout selector up and running, i think you can see some pictures in the official thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?189642-Community-Upgrade-Project-CUP/page23

As for GPS guidance, i don't have time to develop that, for now you'll just have to roll with what it's already in the mod.