Chairborne

Arma 2 AV-8B Harrier II Port

Description:

This is another port i made from the Sample Models, with minor modifications of my own.

I've had this in the works for a long time, mostly because i got busy with other projects and for some technical problems i had a hard time solving.

There are some features i meant to implement (dampers, decent MFD, reworked interiors) but that would take even MORE time and i don't feel like keeping this for myself any longer.

Some of you will be pissed because of the aircraft loadouts i guess but i think the current loadout is balanced enough, they are fun enough without giving pilots god-like firepower that can obliterate whole AOs on their own.

As for the cockpit, as i mentioned earlier i meant to rework it because it's mid-low detail right now but that might take some time and i still have to get the hang of it, also there is the huge limit of PiP that doesn't allow much customization and doesn't have enough detail to be an effective navigation tool (i'll be leaving links to feed tracker tickets if you want to help out).

Good news is, i did some minor tweaks i'm really satisfied with, especially collision lights and materials/textures.

They still have all the STOVL features from A2 and can take off and land safely on the LHD, i'm pretty sure that is also true for the Nimitz.

Feel free to provide feedback and i'll see what i can do to make this better.

Have a nice day!

Known Problems:

-HUD and in-game crosshairs not aligned

Credits

BIS - Original Arma 2 sample model

Chairborne - Port, config, etc...

DISCLAIMER

For personal use only. Do not edit without permission. I claim no responsibility for any damages this addon may cause, use at your own risk.

Released under Arma Public License - read here for more information: http://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/arma-public-license

Changelog

V0.1 - 19/09/2014

- Initial Release

CLASSLIST

==================================================

Cha_AV8B AV-8B Harrier II (CAP)

Cha_AV8B2 AV-8B Harrier II (CAS)

Cha_AV8B3 AV-8B Harrier II (Multirole)

DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm231xv8rs8k7xh/%40Cha_AV8B.rar?dl=0

Edited by Chairborne

Here are the two tickets on the feed tracker, if you want to help out and BIS can do the changes suggested it would be a huge step forward:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20789

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20790

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Awesome port! A bit of variety was missing in the US Air fighter department.

Yeah i know!

I missed this one, fits nicely in the game.

for the pip, have u tried making a rvmat on it and make it ambient green?

also nice release, would be nice with my uh1y.

edit: nvm that didnt work

Edited by dezkit

No i haven't, thanks for the tip though, however i don't know if PiP textures accept rvmats, in the sample files they never use them.

I think it would be much faster if BIS made so that other thermal PiP were available as well, it would benefit not just me but also other modders with similar needs.

The bottleneck is most likely memory consumption, PiP is very expensive, if the engine was improved enough it would be very cool.

I'll see if i can come up with some other solution, i have a few ideas but i haven't had time to test them yet.

edit: lol never mind then, thanks anyway.

Lawl, Chairbone, good job! I`ve started doing the same just a few days ago lel. Do you think you could add a Interface and System for Weapon Change like John_Spartans FA-18`?

Proxies have a funny behavior that i don't yet understand in Arma.

I guess it's doable but i don't know what the final results will look like.

Usually in Arma 2 you had floating bombs below pylons when using systems like loadout editors and i'd really like to avoid that.

New mod v0.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@cha_av8b.png

@ Chairborne;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

FINALLY!!! I was waiting for ages someone porting the AV-8B (Chortles, I love your F/A-35, but the "jump jet" is my teenage love), thanks a lot Chairborne! Hope someone retexture it with CTRG texture (why not? The european crysis could have cut the F/A-35 budget so they´ve upgraded the Harriers and put them back on operations lol) or at least the RAF skin =)

[Edit]: The HUD you´re using was broken patches ago (on 1.20 if I recall - it bugged the A-10C, A and F/A-18 HUDs), you could use the Buzzard HUD (it has a symbology close to british HUDs) or ask for Geraldobolso´s HUD config, the one he´s creating for the F/A-35, and is already using on choppers HMD is close to real!

[Edit 2]: Oh crap... the AV8B config is throwing a burst error for the FFAR rockets that is preventing us from loading saved games (it causes a CTD when trying to load any saves or restarting mission), please, Chairbourne, take a lot at that error which is a nogo for your mod =(

cheers!

Edited by Corporal_Lib[BR]
  • Like 1

;2779004'][Edit]: The HUD you´re using was broken patches ago (on 1.20 if I recall - it bugged the A-10C' date=' A and F/A-18 HUDs), you could use the Buzzard HUD (it has a symbology close to british HUDs) or ask for Geraldobolso´s HUD config, the one he´s creating for the F/A-35, and is already using on choppers HMD is close to real![/quote']

Thanks for the tip, i'll keep that in mind.

;2779004']

[Edit 2]: Oh crap... the AV8B config is throwing a burst error for the FFAR rockets that is preventing us from loading saved games (it causes a CTD when trying to load any saves or restarting mission)' date=' please, Chairbourne, take a lot at that error which is a nogo for your mod =(

cheers![/quote']

I haven't been able to reproduce this, could you be more specific? Are you running other mods in conjuction with mine?

Edit: i tried save and load again a mission with the harrier and i have no RPT error whatsoever. :confused:

Edited by Chairborne

Is there any way you could add an ejector seat ?

Probably Chairborne has a cunning plan on the matter, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University. :p

There is a way, but that would require me to ask another modder to use his assets and scripts i guess because my scripting skills are rather limited.

I want to leave this out for a while to get some feedback and avoid updates unless some feature is terribly broken (i'd like to hear back from Corporal_Lib and his bug because i couldn't replicate it :confused:), while i do some work on the content i already have published and possibly another port (this time it will be a Ruski asset though :) ).

Anyway i like the idea and when i get back to work on this i'll see if that-other-modder is ok with it.

KickAss Chairborne !!! Thanks alot for this contribution man, Good ol' trusty Harrier,,, they still havent came up with anything that can reliably replace it!

Awsome job mate, Not sure if you can rename the "zeypher" missiles to AIM-120's. Also i reckon the CAS version should have MK82's instead of GBU-12's. Great port.

Edited by killjoyau73

Mk82's for CAS?

Euh...no. LGBs are perfect for the job.

However, its not hard to add mk82s.

I made some changes to the config adding a better HUD and a mk82 loaded variant.

Chairborne, PM me if you want to see it.

Mk82's for CAS?

Euh...no. LGBs are perfect for the job.

However, its not hard to add mk82s.

I made some changes to the config adding a better HUD and a mk82 loaded variant.

Chairborne, PM me if you want to see it.

Well i'm thinking more for maybe single player missions. Being able to accurately bomb targets without needing a laser target. Otherwise it's just a guess where they're gonna land lol.

GBUs behave like Mk82 when you drop them unguided.

Neptune did you use a Hud of your own or did you use the buzzard one?

I'm considering replacing the current one for that in a future release.

Also yes, zephyr will be changed to AMRAAM, i must have missed that at first.

Sorry i should have said that you can lock on to a vehicle with the MK82's Given that there is no CCIP. Where with the GBU-12's you need a laser target to lock onto.

Edited by killjoyau73

Chairborne,

We encountered several bone errors in the RPT file. any quick way to fix that?

The HUD is a custom one I made with both paralax and non-paralax elements.

it still needa some tweaking to represent the actual AV8 HUD

Ill happily help you if you share the raw files

Edited by 87th_Neptune

Are these the errors you're having?

Error: Bone cheek_lf doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone nose_tip doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone lip_uplb doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone jaw_ls doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone lip_uplf doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone lip_lc doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone lip_lwlb doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone lip_lwlf doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone jaw_lm doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone zig_lb doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone lip_lwm doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone lip_upm doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone ear_l doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone corr doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone tongue_m doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone tongue_f doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone eyebrow_lb doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone eyebrow_lf doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone eyebrow_lm doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone zig_lm doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone eye_upl doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone eye_lwl doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone cheek_l doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone cheek_lb doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone zig_lt doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone nose_l doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone cheek_lm doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone nose_r doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone forehead_r doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone forehead_m doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton
Error: Bone forehead_l doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton

If so, it's a common error, even in vanilla as far as i know.

Otherwise, feel free to post or send me the RPT log and i'll check that.