Sign in to follow this  
Sledge1

Advanced Mission making for OFP Coldwar/res

Hi guys and Girls,

I have combed this forum for a few days looking and trying new things to no avail. I am looking to make some single/multi-compatible player missions, I am a complete and utter newb at scripting, as well as triggers and code.

I have been able to do elaborate missions, with waypoints, radio operated triggers, and some basic level of sync, but i am pretty limited.

What i want to do is simple in thought, but really complex (im assuming) in code;

I have two large groups (30 men) on east and west, with big forts on each side of a small island. I want them to try to make it inside a circle in the center of the base. to end the game. sounds simple, right? But once they die, i would like them to respawn, but i would like an added AI unit to respawn every 30 seconds. adding a bit more difficulty to the game the longer its played.

I have also seen MP games with cash from kills which allows you to spawn vehicles and MG's. i would love this feature.

I have no experience with Arma, and i have no idea what i'm doing as soon as you go past the basics of way-points and scripting, so please be friendly and BASIC.

I would like to learn a few cool things in regards to:

How to get weapons to spawn on the ground.

How to get people to say things and have their lips move.

how to get people to sit down or use items like fires.

any other cool tricks you know that may spice up my mission-making.

Kindest regards,

Sledge.

BUMP! I would love a reply.

Would also like ot know how to set objectives for the player to do in single player mode. and optional objectives.

First, search this forums thoroughly. All the questions you have have been answered already.

With that said, here's some pointers.

For a general guide you can read Khartak's OFP Mission Editing Guide.

There's also Mr Murray's Armed Assault Editing guide, which expands on the previous guide. Just note that the weapons, vehicles, etc listed there are for Arma1, not OFP/CWA, but most of the things explained there should still be applicable to OFP.

For tutorials specific to OFP you can head here: http://www.ofpec.com/editors-depot/index.php?action=list&cat=tu&type=xyz

And there's always the BIKI (Bohemian Interactive wiki). Some particularly useful pages:

- Mission Editor

- Scripting commands for CWA

- OFP weapon class names

- OFP vehicles

You can always look into the code of missions that have a specific feature you want to see how it's done. Or simply copy it. Although it's always better trying to understand what you're copying.

A lot of the features you ask are quite advanced, dynamic spawning being one of those. You have to deal with scripting for that, there's no way around it. And MP is another layer of difficulty on top of that.

There are some scripts available that deal with dynamic spawning and AI managing. One of the most popular is Kronzky's Urban Patrol Script. It's also pretty straight forward to use. Another one is Dynamic AI Creator (DAC), by MapFact. That one is quite more difficult. And there's also all the stuff released by Dynamic Mission Alliance (DMA), including Dynamic War by Sanctuary (you'll have to ask for a working link in the mission request thread) and CCE, by Drongo69/TacRod. There's also Chain of Command's Command Engine, but I can't find a working link right now.

Edited by kenoxite
updated link to scripting commands to the new 1.99 version