222 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Helli?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

yes i like it.

perhaps they can add a Sikorsky CH-54 Tarhe

Mi-290 Taru a dream comes true :yay: beside the CH-67

Why Mi-290 coudnt have like 6 rotor blades or something like that and not coaxial rotors and top part seems like it was taken from the atack helicopter

I personally would prefer the Kajman and Taru to have one rotor and a tail rotor but one cannot deny their badassery.

I only ever play OPFOR anymore, so I'm excited.

The only thing I don't like about this new "Taru" is this http://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/arma3_dlc_helicopters_screenshot_04.jpg, because it appears that it can only carry about eight guys:confused: What's the point of a heavy lift helicopter that can only carry eight troops? Maybe this is meant to be a special ops version that utilizes FFV possibilities, and there's a regular version with a proper cargo hold or pod that carries an appropriate number of troops? If not than its certainly an issue for me. Heavy lift helicopters are designed and intended to carry large amounts of cargo and personnel from "A to B", eight is not a large number, especially considering the faction using this bird only has two other helo's, both of which also carry up to eight troops as well. Other than this issue I really like the look of this aircraft, it's just that it needs to be able to haul more personnel, anything less than fifteen and its really failing to fill the heavy lift role, regardless of how much it can sling load.

A skycranes primary role isn't troop transport. It's cargo transport, lifting irregular sized loads that other heavy lifts can't carry. The likes of the huron can carry a large volume of troops due to it's design, but the skycrane is for lifting containers so troops are a secondary role, like the Hind etc.

I am extremely disappointed. I expected something in line with the future vertical lift program (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Vertical_Lift) which will be in effect by 2035. Instead I get a cold war era platform with a facelift.

BI started with a great "future war" concept that projected warfare into the next-gen battlefield. Their nerve has failed them and they ended up fielding a things that are pretty much a facelift of obsolescent systems.

Shame on you, BI.

A skycranes primary role isn't troop transport. It's cargo transport, lifting irregular sized loads that other heavy lifts can't carry. The likes of the huron can carry a large volume of troops due to it's design, but the skycrane is for lifting containers so troops are a secondary role, like the Hind etc.

Yes, I'm well aware of that, and as such this should probably be a civilian bird instead, but being as BI has decided to make this a Heavy lifter for a military faction, it needs to be able to fit the whole role, not just be a glorified crane!

Yes, I'm well aware of that, and as such this should probably be a civilian bird instead, but being as BI has decided to make this a Heavy lifter for a military faction, it needs to be able to fit the whole role, not just be a glorified crane!

Why not hang a pod with a 75 mm cannon and 6.5 gatling underneath the chopper? Add unguided rockets from the Opfor Jet to the stub wings and off you go. Badass gunship.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qdLP02Xs4Ic/UxbVBMyP50I/AAAAAAAAAVU/BZ4M8Jq6bEk/s1600/v-22+remote+guardian.jpg

I am almost tempted to make a quick sketch. Better than that system there, but basically the same Idea. Place the gunner either inside the pod or behind the Pilots. Basically, a helicopter AC-130.

Edited by InstaGoat

Remember, this is Arma. Someone might make a large troop pod for it ;)

Remember, this is Arma. Someone might make a large troop pod for it ;)

Yeah, the idea of the CH54 is that you can use all kind of pods to transform it in whatever you want. Obviously people can create 10.000 different pods fom troops transport to Gunship version, even a restaurant if you want.

BTW the CH54 was discontinued due to economic cuts, not because it was obsolete.

Why not hang a pod with a 75 mm cannon and 6.5 gatling underneath the chopper? Add unguided rockets from the Opfor Jet to the stub wings and off you go. Badass gunship.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qdLP02Xs4Ic/UxbVBMyP50I/AAAAAAAAAVU/BZ4M8Jq6bEk/s1600/v-22+remote+guardian.jpg

I am almost tempted to make a quick sketch. Better than that system there, but basically the same Idea. Place the gunner either inside the pod or behind the Pilots. Basically, a helicopter AC-130.

Just going to leave this here :)

http://i.imgur.com/IyARQdP.jpg

Hmmm, dunno if that'd look "right" grafted onto the bottom of an existing pod. On the other hand, if you were to make a purpose-built pod with it underneath... ;)

Really intrigued as to just how the supposed modular pod system will work...

Yeah I was thinking it would look much better with a pod as well. Maybe some kind of transport pod with the gun stuck on it underneath and a gunner position inside the pod.

I am extremely disappointed. I expected something in line with the future vertical lift program (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Vertical_Lift) which will be in effect by 2035. Instead I get a cold war era platform with a facelift.

BI started with a great "future war" concept that projected warfare into the next-gen battlefield. Their nerve has failed them and they ended up fielding a things that are pretty much a facelift of obsolescent systems.

Shame on you, BI.

"...although Boeing expects 2060. (CH47)" From the same wiki you linked to. So with standard military delays that project is probably to far in the future :)

I'm more surprised they didn't include the CH53K, the new heavy lift work horse for USMC, which should enter full service sometime in the 2020s.

I want to be able to mod the helicopters, too. Shame we can't get into the EBOs. I so want to use the Karts coveralls with gloves as a MOPP suit or something. And then reskin the Taru for CMP (IRIAF roundels!)

even a restaurant if you want.

"Ali's Flying Barbeque Service"

Yeah I was thinking it would look much better with a pod as well. Maybe some kind of transport pod with the gun stuck on it underneath and a gunner position inside the pod.
Maybe a variant on an existing pod, with two less passenger seats due to the gunner seat and station?

Maybe a variant on an existing pod, with two less passenger seats due to the gunner seat and station?

There might be some different pods for the helicopter that haven't been shown yet so I guess we just need to wait.

Three words for the Huron; flat-plate-drag. Find the Kamov-esque Tarhe far more useful looking, It will be fun to see all of the varied cargo pods that will come about. I do like the cockpit of the Huron though. Have to agree with those hoping to see something like a S-97 or V-280 in the game, but both present some interesting aerodyamics that BI has likely yet to deal with in the code.

Have to agree with those hoping to see something like a S-97 or V-280 in the game, but both present some interesting aerodyamics that BI has likely yet to deal with in the code.
I don't believe that that's the case -- the Kajman and Taru are already coaxial-rotor designs, while I wouldn't be surprised if BI would have treated the Valor as fixed-wing VTOL the same way that they did the MV-22.

Hope you are right. The transition between fixed wing and rotorcraft, and back, are a big real world challenge for tactical operations for tilt rotor like V-280. Not bad, just different. The acceleration/deceleration (level body due to thrust of tail prop) of a coaxial compound like the S-97 is very different to that of a conventional rotorcraft. Honestly dont know how difficult that is in the existing code.

Does anyone know if or when the new helicopters will come to the development branch?

It would make sense to me, at least to all those who bought the DLC.

But BI hasn't said anything, so probably not.

It would make sense to me, at least to all those who bought the DLC.

But BI hasn't said anything, so probably not.

I'd be surprised if they aren't released for testing on dev-branch like all the other assets so far.

Not this early. There is a month until release of the DLC. Therefore, they'd probably plan on giving us a chance to crash test the new Helicopters about a week or two in advance, just to make sure they are as stable as the others, that is of course, unless they have a dedicated tester for it, to keep us from trying it until release.

Still want loadable UGV's via. ramp. For the Mohawk too. :cool: