Sign in to follow this  
enad

Can't host P2P server anymore

It's been a little while since I played ArmA 3, and I'm a big fan of doing private coop with friends. I normally just click host new session and they join right up, but lately(specifically, after the Gamespy shutdown, that's the only thing I can think of that could be related to this) my friends who are trying to join cannot find my server in the server browser and unfortunately BIS didn't seem to make an effort with it's Steam compatibility so whenever they try to join through Steam they just get a "Server is not responding" message.

Now I have no clue what could have caused this. It worked fine since the Alpha, and now all of a sudden it doesn't.

If anyone has a solution I would be very, very grateful.

Thanks.

No idea what that is but I'd rather not have to use some third party program when the functionality for this has worked perfectly fine up until now.

Does anyone know what actually happened? This isn't just isolated to me and my friends, I'm positive.

you might have to forward the correct ports. they are mentioned on the screen where you create a game. between me and my friends i'm the only one that can host reliably so you could also try letting one of your friends host as a more simple approach.

either way it sucks big time and i'd like to see this addressed properly too.

Opening up the ports doesn't help, must be related to something else...always used to work for me but because of this I had to stop development. I also noticed when shutting down arma3 now it sometimes nearly crashes my internet connection or my connection to the net hangs and cannot be used for a good minute or 2 after game shutdown...never ever had this before (I havent played since May...so it's something thats changed over the summer).

My other online Steam games are working without issue of course, sheesh. Arma3 MP is seriously borked.

After the Gamespy shutdown, many players are simply unable to host a server outside of LAN. Data from steam servers are often blocked on their way in and from the computer, making it very difficult to host a server. If I'm not mistaken, players are supposed to forward ports 2302-2305, eventually 8766 and 27016 (all UDP). Then the connectivity through the Remote button should work, if you give your friends the IP adress. However, there are more than enough cases where the port forwarding simply doesn't work (me included). If you're really 'unlucky', nothing helps - firewall changes, messing with ports, dedicated servers... then you might give a third-party software a try.

As far as I know, there is practically no proper response from BI and we all hope the problem will be adressed and fixed soon.

As far as I know, there is practically no proper response from BI and we all hope the problem will be adressed and fixed soon.

Really?...you mean it's not even mentioned in their little beta section forum that its being worked on?

I know there's a ticket made for it awhile ago. How can they not publicly comment on broken MP in a MP game?

Really?...you mean it's not even mentioned in their little beta section forum that its being worked on?

I know there's a ticket made for it awhile ago. How can they not publicly comment on broken MP in a MP game?

There have been numerous reports from BI when they were preparing for Gamespy shutdown and there is some info on the port forwarding process on both forums and wiki, but when someone states that it's not working after forwarding ports, conversations usually end unresolved. I also read through some 8 tickets on feedback page, but most of them go only to forwarding ports and checking firewall, no additional support for those who are still unable to host/join. But maybe it's just me missing some very important topic.

You might also want to read through this http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?179258-Cant-host-MP-game-(v-1-22-125300) one of the more helpful discussions on this topic.

Edit. Also here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147537-Tutorial-How-to-run-ArmA3-on-a-dedicated-server

Edited by FeuerEXcz

Tonight it just started working for me suddenly, all by itself...I did nothing. I didn't notice any update so maybe the trouble isn't with the client stuff. I tried it several times earlier in the day and it was not working...but tonight for whatever reason it finally worked...I was able to start a normal MP in-game server and show up on the browser list and others were finally able to see it and join...NOTHING has changed on my end from earlier today either. So...im confused to say the least...but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

BTW - got a hacker while running that server tonight...he was running around using the zeus lightning (which is not in the mission, no zeus at all) and then when I asked them to stop hacking they were apparently able to do a mission end...and that also crashed the game...to a blue screen no less (which I havent seen in many years, lol). Isnt there any anti cheat in arma3 these days, or is this also broken currently? If it's working then how do you enable it on an in-game hosted server?

Edited by BigShot