infection

[WIP] Mafia Life

Hello, I've been working on a completely new life project, from the ground up because I felt I wanted to make something of my own and not just have the mass-produced ordinary life missions!
So, I set out to find an idea I liked, I settled on the Mafia, in the 60's specifically, so I started to work on the scripts and UI, at the moment, I've got some basic features finished, I will provide a list below.

Like I said, I want it to be set in the 60's which is the plan with no weaponry or vehicles past 1970. (This is a lot of work so if you wish to pitch in and create vehicles, weapons or models, just pm me!)
I don't really know what else to say other than this is mostly a check for interest, to see if people like the idea or not, leave a comment below if you have any pointers or ideas!

So before I show you some pictures of the work currently done, I will give you a list of what is done and what I hope to accomplish if I ever finish this!

What I wish to accomplish:

• Cars and weapons from the 60's
  • Custom map (Most likely won't happen)
  • 60's Uniforms (Police etc)
  • Mafia family's instead of gangs
  • Several nationalities of families, you then get to weapon shipments containing weapons and you'll receive according to where your family is from. (Russians would get AK's etc.)
  • I want gun trading to be a big part of obtaining guns your family does not have access to and to make money of-course.

It was kind of hard to come up with stuff on the spot but I will keep adding things!

What has been finished:

• Banks
  • Money system
  • Shops
  • Save system
  • Quest system
  • Mafia families

There's not much on the list yet and I can't give you a specific release date either because sometimes I work on it during all the free time I get and sometimes I might leave it hanging for a few weeks.
Basically I work on it when I feel motivated to work on it, that might be a bad attitude but unfortunately it's the way I work!

Either way, last but not least I have some thanks to give before showing you these pictures I'm talking about!

Thanks to:

Hem for working on 3D models and helping me out!
Takistan Life: Revolution some of my code is based on their mission. Can't thank them enough!

Like I said, I wouldn't expect it released any time soon, but I will keep making it, slow but steady.

Forum: http://mafialife.net/

Development Blog: http://blog.MafiaLife.net
If you wish to follow the development you can do so by checking out the github in my signature!

Edited by Infection

That sounds awesome! I hope you can find or even create a map that supports this setting. Altis doesn't seem to fit with all those solar pannels and Mediterranean look in general. (Well, Sicily or Italy in general is also located in the Mediterranean and would be suitable for classic Mafia scenarios but I hope you get my point.) :)

That sounds awesome! I hope you can find or even create a map that supports this setting. Altis doesn't seem to fit with all those solar pannels and Mediterranean look in general. (Well, Sicily or Italy in general is also located in the Mediterranean and would be suitable for classic Mafia scenarios but I hope you get my point.) :)

Yeah, I agree, Altis is a pretty cool setting Map wise, unfortunately those solar panels and other futuristic looking buildings is the main reason I'd want a custom map, but the 3D models and Scripts alone are a lot of work, a map is no easy task. Hopefully I'll find a solution!

I really like the idea for a mod/mission like this. I hope you find some unique solutions for things like groups or "families".

As for a map, Altis truly is not for a 60s style theme. You might be interested in looking at Bystrica, which when added upon gives your mod a unique environment. It also is fitting of the theme due to the older style of buildings, etc.

I hope you have success in your development!

I really like the idea for a mod/mission like this. I hope you find some unique solutions for things like groups or "families".

As for a map, Altis truly is not for a 60s style theme. You might be interested in looking at Bystrica, which when added upon gives your mod a unique environment. It also is fitting of the theme due to the older style of buildings, etc.

I hope you have success in your development!

Bystrica looks very cool, I will look into it. Thanks for your input!

Been doing some small updates/work on interaction menu the past week.

Nothing new visually though! Mainly script updates.

Also have begun translating majority of text's into different languages (using Google translate which is probably not providing the most accurate translations), therefore if anyone knows any of the languages listed in the link below and notices something wrong, please pm or post here and I'll correct it!

https://github.com/Infectiondg/ML_language/blob/master/stringtable.xml

it'll be really cool if you add some classic Mafia guns like Tommy Gun and Remington 870 :)

Yes, of-course the Tommy gun will be in! I hope to get as many guns popularized by the Mafia in as possible, as well as others of-course.

Currently there isn't many updates that I can show off, right now I've been very busy for the past weeks but I've been working on stuff server side.

I hope to bring you guys something new the coming week!

Update time!

Mostly been working on server-end code and saving however there are a few updates to client sided things that you would notice!

Early version of the persistent Mafia Families, families will not be easy to create and there will be high requirements for them.

http://i.imgur.com/ZGWJTIW.jpg

Added filter to the vendor menu.

http://i.imgur.com/AkUuVmz.jpg

Registration upon first joining the map, this is because later on a web-based user interface will be available to reset your character, reset position, and view your gear on-line etcetera.

http://i.imgur.com/9Y9l9jL.jpg

Also a client sided extension has been added, it contains new logging functions for Mafia Life information, JSON reader for key binds, and RegEx checks for password and email inputs (Source available on GitHub).

Edited by Infection

Can't wait for this. Looks like things are coming along quite nicely!

You should do realistic pricing... like not 15 pounds for a Thompson

You should do realistic pricing... like not 15 pounds for a Thompson

These prices are just for testing purposes.

I am currently reworking the UI, I need some input on what you guys would prefer.

http://i.imgur.com/HFjSnym.jpg New version, based on the Metro UI in Windows, personally I like this more as it is more dynamic and smoother.

http://i.imgur.com/AkUuVmz.jpg Old, it fits more and looks pretty decent, it can be improved to fit nicer and mix better with the environment.

So, I would like your inputs on which one I should go for.

I'd stick with the old one. It actually looks more modern than the new Win8-style one. oO

Yeah the old one looks really nice. I prefer that. Does ti cause performance issues when using it?

Yeah the old one looks really nice. I prefer that. Does ti cause performance issues when using it?

No, however the new Metro style one is more dynamic and allows for easier colour changes, it also makes it possible for users to customize their own UI colours.

After hearing that I would say definitely choose the old style one over the new one. It gives better character to the menu system.

Hello, I have been on a slight hiatus from working on Mafia Life, not much done on the code, however I have added new items and new fonts to fit the mod better.

New items:

• Rope
  • Tyre iron
  • Hammer
  • Cocaine
  • Wheel
  • Bandages
  • Boss' hat

More will be added, note that all of these are inventory items and not actually weapons of any kind.

Items such as a tyre iron or a hammer can be used to break someone's legs, these items will be counted as 'lethal' items and can be used for other functions.

Some items that have been added are also for quests (Boss' hat), you will need to collect these to complete certain quests.

Other than that, the code is still being worked on and right now I am tuning up the quest system to have better functionality and more diverse quests.

Don't go too far renaming the main menu, you still need to make the user think what he's actually playing is ArmA 3, after all they made the game so you can make the mod :p