Sign in to follow this  
deltagamer

Rope Feature Discussion/Feedback (dev branch)

Yea, I can create the rope like that fine - the issue it getting it to start bunched up at the top of the helo then unfold or extend quickly to full length.

PS CaptainObvious - Don't care how long it took to stage it was worth it. Looks awesome. :cool:

Yea, I can create the rope like that fine - the issue it getting it to start bunched up at the top of the helo then unfold or extend quickly to full length.

PS CaptainObvious - Don't care how long it took to stage it was worth it. Looks awesome. :cool:

True... Ok, the remaking step than is to get the rope to spawn wrapped up next to the benches. In this case, we would need to have the ability to define sections of the rope in a script. Then when done, a "cut" option allowing for the rope to simply drop when cut. A DEV's advice would be greatly appreciated at this point.

You can first create a very short rope and then unwind it:

ropeUnwind [Rope, Speed, targetLength, Relative]

(the Relative is true/false. If it's true the target length is added to current length of the rope)

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

Ok. Since I haven't seen the new rope commands documented anywhere, I'll just put my initial findings here:

These may or may not be accurate.

rope = ropeCreate [fromObject, [frompoint], toObject, [toPoint], (length), ([ropeStart, downDir]), ([ropeEnd, downdir])]

rope: rope's name

Objects are objects. Points are relative positions to object's position [x,y,z].

No idea about the ropestart/end and downdirs. They are optional.

ropeDestroy rope

Destroy a rope.

ropeUnwind [Rope, Speed, targetLength, Relative]

targetLength in meters. Speed in m/s probably.

the Relative is true/false. If it's true the target length is added to current length of the rope. The default is false.

boolean = ropeUnwound rope

Check if the winding is finished.

[position,position] = ropeEndPosition rope

Returns the positions of the both rope ends. Format PositionATL.

length = ropeLength rope

Returns the rope's length.

object ropeDetach rope

Detaches the rope from attached object.

[attachedobjects] = ropeAttachedObjects vehicle

Returns the objects attached to the vehicle.

vehicle = ropeAttachedTo object

On what vehicle is the object hanging from?

[object, [toPoint], [ropeEndDownDir]] ropeAttachTo rope

Attach a previously created rope to the object.

ropeEndDownDir optional. Still don't know what it does.

[RopesOntheVehicle] = ropes vehicle

Returns all ropes attached to a vehicle.

ropeCut [rope, distance]

Cut the rope at certain distance from the vehicle.

boolean = vehicle canSlingLoad object

Can the vehicle sling load an object?

vehicle setSlingLoad object

Sling loads the object to the vehicle. The same way you would do it normally; 4 ropes, default lengths etc.

object = getSlingLoad vehicle

What object is currently hanging from the vehicle?

Event handler "RopeAttach". Add to the vehicle.

Arguments 0:vehicle 1:rope 2:load when an object gets attached.

Event handler "RopeBreak". Same as above. Triggers when the load breaks loose.

Edited by Greenfist

I think what I'm trying to do is a little different, I want to create my own model of rope and give it the rope phyx but I'm unsure on how to go about that.

I think what I'm trying to do is a little different, I want to create my own model of rope and give it the rope phyx but I'm unsure on how to go about that.

I got what you meant, but why? There are already ropes, so how would your rope be different?

I was just wanting to play around with it to see if I could get some kind of rappelling harness attached to the rope for abseiling buildings etc and try to set up some kind of fast rope feature but to my understanding that can't really be done the way I want it with the current rope. Also I think BI know that as well or we would have fast roping in the game already.

@ Greenfist - great work man this is going to be really useful.

@ DSSO - YES! I noticed that too. I'm guessing we'll get better documentation with the release of the DLC.

I was just wanting to play around with it to see if I could get some kind of rappelling harness attached to the rope for abseiling buildings etc and try to set up some kind of fast rope feature but to my understanding that can't really be done the way I want it with the current rope. Also I think BI know that as well or we would have fast roping in the game already.

the rope is created from many equal little segments. adding a harness to the actually model would cause that harness being on all the rope segments. you are better of using scripting and simply attaching the harness to the end of the rope.

also just wanted to share my dirty little fast rope script. i hope someone will make something better. this still sometimes throws an error for some reason but it works just fine as long as the helo isn't moving too fast. just add this to the helo's init line to be able to fastrope out of it using a scroll action.

this addaction ["fastrope", {

_startend = 10;

_start = 4;

_obj = _this select 0;

_caller = _this select 1;

_dummy = "B_UAV_01_F" createvehicle getPosATL _caller;

_dummy2 = "Land_Can_V3_F" createvehicle getPosATL _caller;

hideObject _dummy2;

_dummy attachto [_caller,[0,0,0]];

hideObject _dummy;

_rpend = ropeCreate [_dummy,[0,0,0], _dummy2, [0,0,0], _startend,_startend,true];

_caller setpos getposatl _obj;

_rp = ropeCreate [_obj,[0,0,0], _caller,[0,0,0],_start,_start,false];

while {!(isTouchingGround _caller)} do

{

ropeUnwind [_rp,5,_start+1,true];

ropeUnwind [_rpend,5,_startend-1,true];

_start = _start + 1;

_startend = _startend + 1

};

_caller ropeDetach _rp;

ropeCut [_rp, 0]}]

i know it's shit and super hacky but it works. there is still an issue with the length being uniform at all times but i didn't have time to look into it. maybe someone can improve this or something.

or maybe BI could just add native fast rope capability already (helo DLC? please?). because at this point the only remaining question is: why the fuck not?! :p

the rope is created from many equal little segments. adding a harness to the actually model would cause that harness being on all the rope segments. you are better of using scripting and simply attaching the harness to the end of the rope.

also just wanted to share my dirty little fast rope script. i hope someone will make something better. this still sometimes throws an error for some reason but it works just fine as long as the helo isn't moving too fast. just add this to the helo's init line to be able to fastrope out of it using a scroll action.

i know it's shit and super hacky but it works. there is still an issue with the length being uniform at all times but i didn't have time to look into it. maybe someone can improve this or something.

or maybe BI could just add native fast rope capability already (helo DLC? please?). because at this point the only remaining question is: why the fuck not?! :p

First, I agree with the "Why the fuck not", because well, it's possible, and simply why the fuck not BIS?

Second, I see a lot of [0,0,0]. Does that mean the rope is center of the helicopter? If so, I'll be on later do define the proper locations that external winches are located. If you look on certain Helicopters, they have a point where ropes are attached by the side doors for ropes. Most noticeable are the Orca, and the Mohawk.

yea you can attach it where ever you want. this is just a proof of concept.

Ok, yeah, it's real... Dodgy. It would be alot better if the rope stayed attached to the helicopter, and when cut, drops to the ground, but i can't quite figure out how to get it to do so. Also, maybe use the animation for climbing a latter? It would look... a little bit better than what we have.

What would be nice is the rope colliding with vehicles and units, currently it only seems to sort of care about the two objects it is connected to. Along with that would be EpeContact events being fired when something collides with the rope, over at AGM we got the bright idea that the rope could be bastardised to be used in tripwires.

But since those events don't get fired or even seemingly collide with anything other than the ground, it is a massive no go, which is sad.

What would be nice is the rope colliding with vehicles and units, currently it only seems to sort of care about the two objects it is connected to. Along with that would be EpeContact events being fired when something collides with the rope, over at AGM we got the bright idea that the rope could be bastardised to be used in tripwires.

But since those events don't get fired or even seemingly collide with anything other than the ground, it is a massive no go, which is sad.

Trip wires are already in game though, using a super thin line. You can even bypass them by vaulting over it, as long as your foot doesn't touch the line, you won't end up in pieces. Though, at the moment, were focused on a Fast Roping script that doesn't require everyone to download. Ounce we can find a way to do this more efficiently, we can start investigating other uses for ropes, like the guy who made a make rope slide.

While it is true that trip wires are already in game, they are static models, which means it is almost impossible to dynamically size the trip wire. Thus having longer or shorter trip wires rely on creating models that have differing sizes of the wire. Which is incredibly static and lacks the ability to create some really interesting trip wire mines without having to model 10-15 variants of differing size.

Ok people, the Rope scripts are out. Not sure if that's all of them, but they're out. It's time to continue the research of brilliant things ropes can do. :bounce3:

Haha nice one - any more documentation yet??

We need a brand new fast rope system.

(from a guy who is really terrible with programming) :rolleyes:

Edited by ElTyranos

We need a brand new fast rope system.

(from a guy who is really terrible with programming) :rolleyes:

Yeah I was mucking around for a few hours over the weekend and I worked out a basic one scripting only with rappelling (not hard to then do one for fast roping) currently only tested in single player but its an improvement on previous "pre-rope" versions I've seen, I will post a video when I get home.

Hoping to make a mod version that will allow SPIE techniques for extraction as well. Problem is that yes you can attach people to a line from a chopper but they get "stuck" to the ground and the rope eventually breaks (person stays on the ground), however I am thinking we need a fake "invisible" static that you get in when you hook up to the line as statics seem to do the phsyics well and don't get stuck on the ground.

Well the AGM guys are working in a fast rope script. Hopefully if it gets finished, it won't be hidden from us, but rather released so we could all possibly make a better version of such, and get it working in lots of servers.

wip5wld.jpg

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Edit:

Well the AGM guys are working in a fast rope script. Hopefully if it gets finished, it won't be hidden from us, but rather released so we could all possibly make a better version of such, and get it working in lots of servers.

http://i.imgur.com/wip5wld.jpg

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Edit:

Freaking sweet! :yay:

So then... Gentlemen. BIS hadn't even planned ropes prior to the Heli DLC. But now that they did, you can get a taste of things you can do with it. Most of us wanted Fast Rope Insert/Extract opportunities, some people are probably working on a repelling script, others came up with a buggy version of a Static Zipline. Could you imagine BIS making a new map with Static interact able Ziplines in some places? Ok ok, that's a good question, but what else? Take a look at this.

http://youtu.be/xHBpMbckPpw

Could you imagine the possibilities still? Apparently, he mentioned his 5 year old son came up with this bridge idea. That's impressive, an in game, it looks 10 times more impressive than on paper, because IT WORKS!

any news on vehicle towing/ articualted vehicles based on ropes?

will they loosen the handbrake finally? :}

any news on vehicle towing/ articualted vehicles based on ropes?

will they loosen the handbrake finally? :}

As of now, no word on that, seeing as having a car on brakes while no one is in it is quite realistic. What would be cool, however, is something such like the Helicopters. Brake off, hop out, tow the vehicle, and off you go. Just don't forget to put the brakes back on. I could see this working quite well.

I would rather suggest a script command for break management. Disable the break when the rope is connected and enable it when it is disconnected. I pull my vehicle handbrake every time when i get out of the vehicle. It's automatic as it should be in the game too.