Sign in to follow this  
deltagamer

Rope Feature Discussion/Feedback (dev branch)

Hi there, this thread is for discussing the new rope feature that has recently been released in the current dev build. Please refer to the mentioned topics below for what this thread will primarily discuss. If you wish to discuss the new Sling Loading Feature then head over to the Sling Loading Feature Thread. There are new scripts that are included in the new dev build that allows you to use the new rope to its fullest, here is the link to the Development Branch ChangeLog for more info.

Topics:

- Usability of the new rope

- General discussion of the feature

- Multiplayer issues encountered

- Abilities the rope adds to the game

I'm sure all your feedback will be appreciated by the developers.

Thanks

-------- Rope Commands --------

Provided by Greenfist

These may or may not be accurate.

rope = ropeCreate [fromObject, [frompoint], toObject, [toPoint], (length), ([ropeStart, downDir]), ([ropeEnd, downdir])]

rope: rope's name

Objects are objects. Points are relative positions to object's position [x,y,z].

No idea about the ropestart/end and downdirs. They are optional.

ropeDestroy rope

Destroy a rope.

ropeUnwind [Rope, Speed, targetLength, Relative]

targetLength in meters. Speed in m/s probably.

the Relative is true/false. If it's true the target length is added to current length of the rope. The default is false.

boolean = ropeUnwound rope

Check if the winding is finished.

[position] = ropeEndPosition rope

Returns the rope's end position.

length = ropeLength rope

Returns the rope's length.

object ropeDetach rope

Detaches the rope from attached object.

[attachedobjects] = ropeAttachedObjects vehicle

Returns the objects attached to the vehicle.

vehicle = ropeAttachedTo object

On what vehicle is the object hanging from?

[object, [toPoint], [ropeEndDownDir]] ropeAttachTo rope

Attach a previously created rope to the object.

ropeEndDownDir optional. Still don't know what it does.

[RopesOntheVehicle] = ropes vehicle

Returns all ropes attached to a vehicle.

ropeCut [rope, distance]

Cut the rope at certain distance from the vehicle.

boolean = vehicle canSlingLoad object

Can the vehicle sling load an object?

vehicle setSlingLoad object

Sling loads the object to the vehicle. The same way you would do it normally; 4 ropes, default lengths etc.

object = getSlingLoad vehicle

What object is currently hanging from the vehicle?

Event handler "RopeAttach". Add to the vehicle.

Arguments 0:vehicle 1:rope 2:load when an object gets attached.

Event handler "RopeBreak". Same as above. Triggers when the load breaks loose.

Edited by deltagamer

I would love to see the new ropes used on parachutes!

But i think this would require the Man class to support PhysX..

Things I'd like to see:

Towing vehicles (only looks like the brakes are an issue).

Hang dead people from trees

Rappelling

Climbing

@Lappihuan - nice idea :)

I would love to see the new ropes used on parachutes!

But i think this would require the Man class to support PhysX..

this please!

The current parachute is a weak point of the engine. Sometime when i try to land on the hill i slide down to the valley. :D well, it isn't that funny :)

@Das Attorney In the sling loading thread apparently Jonzie figured a way around the problem, It might be a good idea to ask how Jonzie did it.

I did the same thing today, I removed the brakes off the car and it worked fine but the rope acted more like elastic then rope but I hope that this will be fixed

A couple of people have asked him but he didn't get back to them. Not sure if he was making it up.

If you get an AI to tow you in a vehicle and then quickly start the engine then switch it off, you will freewheel along. I haven't worked out how to get the AI to release the brakes or how to tow empty vehicles (not that it would work well anyway as there would be no-one to steer it ).

A couple of people have asked him but he didn't get back to them. Not sure if he was making it up.

If you get an AI to tow you in a vehicle and then quickly start the engine then switch it off, you will freewheel along. I haven't worked out how to get the AI to release the brakes or how to tow empty vehicles (not that it would work well anyway as there would be no-one to steer it ).

From what I've done, towing is a challenge because of the following. Weight of the tow vehicle, visual integrity, and effective application.

First off, I used the Tempest Device because it was heavy enough to no tip over when towing an offroad. Second, when towing the off-road I made sure that the front wheels were off the ground. And lastly, it was a simple script to attach to objects via. ropeCreate. It worked fine, but if we want anything towed to look like it's being well... Towed, I suggest BIS or a modder add in an official Tow Truck with a towing arm on the back in which the rope can be attached, so that it can lift the front wheels of the towed vehicle from the ground.

From what I've done, towing is a challenge because of the following. Weight of the tow vehicle, visual integrity, and effective application.

First off, I used the Tempest Device because it was heavy enough to no tip over when towing an offroad. Second, when towing the off-road I made sure that the front wheels were off the ground. And lastly, it was a simple script to attach to objects via. ropeCreate. It worked fine, but if we want anything towed to look like it's being well... Towed, I suggest BIS or a modder add in an official Tow Truck with a towing arm on the back in which the rope can be attached, so that it can lift the front wheels of the towed vehicle from the ground.

For testing purpose I can send you a config for an offroad which has no brakes at all.

Good thinking about lifting front wheels off ground, I hadn't thought of that.

This seems to work okay for a Panther (c1) and Hatchback (c2). It looks like shit though and the rear wheels are still locked up.

ropeA = ropeCreate [c1,[0,-6,0],c2,[0,2,-1],1.3];

BTW: Just a note, if you attach a rope from an object to itself, then the game freezes/crashes.

CRASH = ropeCreate [c1,[0,-6,0],c1,[0,2,-1],1.3];

If I understand it correctly, there is a config entry for an auto braking speed. I created a issue on the tracker for a scripting function to disable it. http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20708

This happens only if engine is not running.

Try starting the engine, than eject, and try towing again.

Here's the Offroad w/o brakes:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84370332/Refined_Vehicles/%40RPA_NoBrakeOffroad.rar

Edit:

now without brakeIdleSpeed. Maybe it works now without having the engine running.

Edited by RedPhoenix

Nice one Phoenix - I'll give that a try later see what we can get out of it.

Makes no difference if the engine is running or not, wheels are locked nevertheless.

Have you tested with or without my mod?

Have you tested with or without my mod?

Ah sorry, vanilla.

Your's works regarding the brakes, but as the Offroad is 4WD (?) the front wheels try to spin in the opposite direction thus causing the Offroad to "jerk" forwards when towed.

edit:

ropeCreate [AMV,[0,-4.6,-0.2],offroad,[0,2.6,-1],2]

And the result is this:

When you create a 1m long rope, the front wheels are in the air and the offroad comes along nicely.

Edited by CaptainObvious

Try creating a longer rope or try pulling with an Offroad.

The effect in your video probably happens because the angle between upper and lower joint is too sharp.

Try creating a longer rope or try pulling with an Offroad.

The effect in your video probably happens because the angle between upper and lower joint is too sharp.

Longer ropes cause a similar effect as towing a car that is braking, the tail lifts in the air as the front wheels turn into the wrong direction, also longer ropes have the down side if the towed car wandering from side to side and crashing into things.

edit:

Edited by CaptainObvious

But shouldn't there always be a driver in the second car to controll the direction of the vehicle? Otherwise it won't work in reality too.

But shouldn't there always be a driver in the second car to controll the direction of the vehicle? Otherwise it won't work in reality too.

One could try that, and I think that would work.

Yes, especially when towing with ropes instead of booms, but it'd be nice to be able to do that by yourself too without the towed car bouncing all over the place.

Can you attach/create multiple ropes to the same positions? This would make the rope "stronger".

Can the vehicle still be pulled by another vehicle with a player in it when the player is inside the vehicle that is being towed?

Edited by deltagamer

Can somebody confirm if a rope endpoint mem point can be animated through cfgmodel