Sign in to follow this  
gepanzert-faust

Renaming vehicles via addon - help :)

Hi there, I'm beginning to learn how to make basic addons but need some help with my current project.

I simply want to rename all the Arma III vehicles with names more akin to their real-life counterparts.

However after opening and exploring many .Pbos and scouring the forum for the answer without luck, I am stuck.

Can somebody please tell me which .Pbo files aactually dictate the actual names of vehicles?

This is my first mod, so I am trying to keep it simple :o

Hey that .Pbo you linked me is great, thanks.

I copied it into a new addon and tested it (both with and without modifications) but strangely only about a third of the mod authors name changes appear to work in-game, the rest of the vehicles retain the default names.

Not sure why, as he clearly changes them all, still trying to figure out the reason for it :confused:

Could be a mod conflict maybe? :confused:

Write your own configs for the vehicle itself?

Here is what I used:

class cfgVehicleClasses{
class MyCustomCars{
  displayName="Lorem Ipsum";
};
};
class cfgVehicles{
class VehcleYouWantToReWrite_F;
class YourNewVehicleClassname : VehicleYouWantToReWrite_F{
  scope	= 2; 			
  crew 	= "C_man_1"; 	
  side	= 3; 			
  faction	= CIV_F;		
  displayName = "Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Amet"';
  vehicleClass="MyCustomCars";
};
}; 

Hope I helped :)

Write your own configs for the vehicle itself?

Here is what I used:

class cfgVehicleClasses{
class MyCustomCars{
  displayName="Lorem Ipsum";
};
};
class cfgVehicles{
class VehcleYouWantToReWrite_F;
class YourNewVehicleClassname : VehicleYouWantToReWrite_F{
  scope	= 2; 			
  crew 	= "C_man_1"; 	
  side	= 3; 			
  faction	= CIV_F;		
  displayName = "Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Amet"';
  vehicleClass="MyCustomCars";
};
}; 

Hope I helped :)

Thanks, but I'm still not exactly which parts to change in order to rename vanilla units - still new to this :o

Can somebody give me a quick example using Armod's code to change, say, the "M2A1 Slammer" to "Merkava Mark IV" instead.

I know the config for the tank is: B_MBT_01_cannon_F and that I prob have to use that somewhere in the above code.

Thanks

displayName is the thing you'll want to change. That alone will change the name it appears in both the editor and in game(i think)

Thanks, but I'm still not exactly which parts to change in order to rename vanilla units - still new to this :o

Can somebody give me a quick example using Armod's code to change, say, the "M2A1 Slammer" to "Merkava Mark IV" instead.

I know the config for the tank is: B_MBT_01_cannon_F and that I prob have to use that somewhere in the above code.

Thanks

You can use my mod, it's doing that :P

Thanks, I had a look but I'm still stuck, all these configs are different and I'm totally new to them really.

Tried to follow this tutorial but with no luck: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_3_Replacement_Config_Tutorial

I just want a simple, bare-bones config where I can imply change the names of all the vanilla vehicles.

Could somebody who actually understands them please provide me with a quick, simple template I can then use to copy/paste the rest of the vehicles as well? *please* :o

I tried this but it the game won't even launch.

class CfgPatches
{
	class name_changes
	{
		units[] = {};
		weapons[] = {};
		requiredVersion = 0.1;
		requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Armor_F"};
	};
};
class CfgVehicles
{

};

class B_MBT_01_cannon_F :  B_MBT_01_base_F {
	displayName = "Merkava Mk IV";

};
};

Also I can't find anywhere that explains fully what to write for the cfgPatches header and if I even need one?

You always need a cfgPatches. It defines what is actually needed to make this addon work. In our case, you need the Slammer class to make it work.

You can find this defining class at the top of every config, just below cfgPatches.

class CfgPatches
{
class merkava_rename	
{
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {};
	requiredVersion = 0.1;
	requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Armor_F_Slammer"};
};
};
class CfgVehicles
{
class Tank_F;	
class B_MBT_01_base_F: Tank_F
{		
	displayName = "Merkava MkIV (120mm)";		
};
class MBT_01_arty_base_F: MBT_01_base_F
{
	displayName = "Merkava MkIV Shloef (155mm)";
};
class MBT_01_mlrs_base_F: MBT_01_base_F
{
	displayName = "Merkava MkIV MLRS";		
};
};

This config renames all base-classes of every Merkava.

You have to imagine this like a tree, where you go from the roots upwards into the branches.

The starting point for every vehicle are class Car_F or class Tank_F. From there on it already branches of into several different inherited classes. So:

Tank_F -> B_MBT_01_base_F ->  MBT_01_arty_base_F 
                         -> MBT_01_mlrs_base_F

Hope that helps.

You always need a cfgPatches. It defines what is actually needed to make this addon work. In our case, you need the Slammer class to make it work.

You can find this defining class at the top of every config, just below cfgPatches.

class CfgPatches
{
class merkava_rename	
{
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {};
	requiredVersion = 0.1;
	requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Armor_F_Slammer"};
};
};
class CfgVehicles
{
class Tank_F;	
class B_MBT_01_base_F: Tank_F
{		
	displayName = "Merkava MkIV (120mm)";		
};
class MBT_01_arty_base_F: MBT_01_base_F
{
	displayName = "Merkava MkIV Shloef (155mm)";
};
class MBT_01_mlrs_base_F: MBT_01_base_F
{
	displayName = "Merkava MkIV MLRS";		
};
};

This config renames all base-classes of every Merkava.

You have to imagine this like a tree, where you go from the roots upwards into the branches.

The starting point for every vehicle are class Car_F or class Tank_F. From there on it already branches of into several different inherited classes. So:

Tank_F -> B_MBT_01_base_F ->  MBT_01_arty_base_F 
                         -> MBT_01_mlrs_base_F

Hope that helps.

Yes it a huge help thanks ;)

Sorry I know its basic stuff to experience modders but I need to ask more inevitable questions before I give it another go.

1) I take it I can only use one cfgPatches per config?

2) If true, how would we reconfigure it to include other vehicle classes and more name changes?

Or would I have to make a separate config like this one for each and every vehicle class? Surely not :confused:

3) Also whats the easiest way to find out the structure of base classes/inherited classes for the rest of the vehicle like your example above?

Is it somewhere on the wiki?

lets see CfgPatches can hold multiple things

class CfgPatches
{
   class merkava_rename    
   {
       units[] = {};
       weapons[] = {};
       requiredVersion = 0.1;
       requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Armor_F_Slammer","A3_Armor_F_T100","A3_Armor_F_Kuma"};
   };
}; 

something like this ^

as for diffrent vehicle's you will have to get the oher vehicle's base class and root class. these can be found here in the assets page on the bis wiki.

although i advise you to unpbo your addons file for the game and look up the diffrent configs for the vehicle's as they will teach you everything you wan't to know.

1) I take it I can only use one cfgPatches per config?

Yes.

2) If true, how would we reconfigure it to include other vehicle classes and more name changes?

Or would I have to make a separate config like this one for each and every vehicle class? Surely not :confused:

Just include their cfgPatches class into requiered addons, and put the rest under cfgVehicles.

3) Also whats the easiest way to find out the structure of base classes/inherited classes for the rest of the vehicle like your example above?

Is it somewhere on the wiki?

Basically, no. You have to seek every baseclass of their own configs. I sent you a P how to set up a pdrive, which you will need in order to make your addons.

Anyway, if you have skype, you can contact me at any time.

as for diffrent vehicle's you will have to get the oher vehicle's base class and root class. these can be found here in the assets page on the bis wiki.

although i advise you to unpbo your addons file for the game and look up the diffrent configs for the vehicle's as they will teach you everything you wan't to know.

I would not recommend looking into the wiki as you don't find the base classes.

Thanks guys, I've realised that making this addon won't be as simple as I thought, but then this is Arma so that shouldn't come as a surprise haha

I thought all the base classes would be listed someplace, seems like it would be a useful modding resource.

Thanks guys, I've realised that making this addon won't be as simple as I thought, but then this is Arma so that shouldn't come as a surprise haha

I thought all the base classes would be listed someplace, seems like it would be a useful modding resource.

What you want to accomplish is actually rather easy. As said, if you need any help, let me know.

What you want to accomplish is actually rather easy. As said, if you need any help, let me know.

Haha yeah I know, that's why its even more frustrating, will PM a couple of questions :)

if i wanted to do the same thing but with adding a new magazine to a weapon, say so i can make the MX use 5.556 ammo? the method you showed should work is there not another way to do it when it comes to mags?