Sign in to follow this  
catatonicChimp

Is it possible to have better a indicator for clients what mods are incorrect?

Hi

I am contemplating turning verify signatures back on for my clan server as I'm finding a few too many people using unauthorised mods that fill up error logs and break some gameplay elements etc.

However I can see many problems coming out of this, as my fellow clanmates can have issues even at the best of times finding and understanding what the RPT log says without a lot of hand holding. Is there any methods out for reporting to them via the chat interface about why they can't connected, so just before they get kicked they would get a message like. e.g. "Missing addon: @blah" or "Unverified Mod: @blah2" that way I we don't waste an hour trying to get them to send us an RPT file..

Cheers

C.

typically the message about the missing addons is flashed up to those already on the game server. If you use something like EPM_Rcon, this will also log the messages for you.

Best way to avoid addon issues is to host your own addon pack and always have verifysignatures enabled.

I used addonsync, after an initial setup it makes it a whole lot easier for your clients to stay up to date with your addon pack.

I have been using such a tool for many years now, starting initially with Yoma's addon sync. I would be lost without it.

It is my opinion that this is one of the weakest elements of ArmA 3 at the moment. I feel like in the past it was better about it, that's the thing. And the engine is CLEARLY capable of notifying you what is wrong when you fail to join a server.

I don't think "third party options exist" is really good enough. I'd like to see BI fix this issue with the game rather than let others patch it up. These kinds of features are what drags ArmA down, and I really wish they would go in and recognize how important to the experience these "minor" issues are over-all given how often they occur.

I've seen some txt boxes pop up when testing with verify signatures, but its frustrating that I have to look in two/three different places to debug why someone is getting kicked... (client, server console + server logs)

We use Arma3Sync for keeping our mods up to date and create modsets. But when half your clan only turns up 1 or 2 nights a week, and fails to check forums posts about updates, it can be very frustrating. Add to that people who don't have much technical ability, they are the hardest to support because you have to guide them through every debug step and you never know if they've done it right or not, just getting them to send the RPT log can be a nightmare sometimes.