fabio_chavez

Bohemia Interactive please comment on whats hindering you to introduce Ponds to Arma3

as far as furniture, shouldn't it be possible to dynamically spawn it only when the player is near (at least in SP) to minimize performance hit?

that isn't the issue the issue is the performance hit WHEN you are nearby. Kavala already runs like shit in 90% of situations.

I don't get this issue with furniture.

Right now it's fine, the scenario designer can fill the desired houses with tables and chairs on demand. No need to have all buildings with furniture at all times, just put the furniture where it enhances the simulation most.

Obviously as others have mentioned there are hardware limitations that make furniture in all buildings unfeasible. Also simulation issues. Tables, chairs/etc are not simulated (again for hardware limitation reasons), so what happens when the building is destroyed? The table and chairs sitting there floating in midair.

... so what happens when the building is destroyed? The table and chairs sitting there floating in midair.

Id just delete all empty vehicles inside the bounding box of the building, as it would be dust irl too.

Putting furniture by hand is really cumbersome.

It's kinda old but i'm not sure if anyone has seen this before. I stubled across it whilst i was looking into Naval mods that add more life to the dead seas of Arma 3... But this...

A possible solution to making Rivers a reality, could well be possible if the time was put in.

the problem is, you probably wont see anybody swimming/diving in there, there are quite a few videos showing some experimental water creations but none of the turned out to get to a playable state...

I think the problem with furniture is actually too many polygons.

You can do a simple test with the mission editor. Open the Altis map, find a town, count the number of house, and add in 3-5x models of one kind into the town. Add a player unit so you can see inside the map. Then PREVIEW the map.

Once in game, look away from the town, then spin around 180 at look at the town. Your FPS should drop.

Now quit and do the same thing for Altis. Pick a town, copy in a model 3x-5x the total number of houses, and repeat.

It should drop drastically. If you really look at the towns in A2/CO, such as Cherno, you will see many of the buildings cannot be entered.

The reason is to keep the polycount down. I'm sure BIS noticed this in OpFOR. When technology (CPU, RAM, RAM BANDWIDTH and GPU) power gets way up there, they would up the polygons in the game.

It would be more of a limitation of our current, average and not necessarily ultra high end systems, that is holding BIS back.

Ponds I think its due to PhysX. If you look at VBS3, only the latest build has it so they probably worked out the kinks already. I bet the next DLC with a nice map with ponds will fix this issue. Hopefully, it would also include FEMALES, civilians and other missing ambient bits we're used to from A2/CO.

I do have to say if VBS3 was mod compatible with ARMA 3, I would totally consider buying a personal edition. It just looks way more polished and impressive from all the demo videos. But I remember someone saying A2/CO with mods > VBS2 so give it more time guys.

the problem is, you probably wont see anybody swimming/diving in there, there are quite a few videos showing some experimental water creations but none of the turned out to get to a playable state...

I'm pretty sure this can be addressed though, it's the same for ponds. It's possible, it's not done yet because of time restraints and lack of manpower, priority.

I'm pretty sure this can be addressed though, it's the same for ponds. It's possible, it's not done yet because of time restraints and lack of manpower, priority.

well distinct mappers and moders have been on this for many month now, unless BI provides an engine side fix (as they are supposed to deliver), i dont see this happening.

And if, does the units, vehicles and AI interact with it correctly?

And if, does the units, vehicles and AI interact with it correctly?

Exactly, which is the reason BIS gave us to remove the ponds.

Uh, to be fair, that's an unifinished hotel. I don't think they'd have bothered filling the pools in before the buildings were even finished.

I think the problem with furniture is actually too many polygons.

House interiors are faded out when the window is invisible. At least in Arma 2

Uh, to be fair, that's an unifinished hotel. I don't think they'd have bothered filling the pools in before the buildings were even finished.

It's definitely not a unfinished hotel, just ruined of the war. The full hotel ground has lots of beach umbrellas and sun beds :D

Touche :).

It's definitely not a unfinished hotel, just ruined of the war. The full hotel ground has lots of beach umbrellas and sun beds :D

No, it's an unfinished hotel. It's a pretty accurate reproduction of a real hotel on Limnos that was abandoned during construction. Fair point about the sunbeds I suppose, but even if it was a finished-but-abandoned hotel, it's unlikely there'd be water in the pools.

...but even if it was a finished-but-abandoned hotel, it's unlikely there'd be water in the pools.

Outdoor pools would very likely have water.

Ponds I think its due to PhysX. If you look at VBS3, only the latest build has it so they probably worked out the kinks already. I bet the next DLC with a nice map with ponds will fix this issue. Hopefully, it would also include FEMALES, civilians and other missing ambient bits we're used to from A2/CO.

I really hope we don't have to wait a DLC for those...a DLC should add real new things like Naval Warfare or some good CQB (into structures with furniture, possibility to breach with explosives and save hostages, etc.). Females and ponds should be free updates, I don't want to pay for them !!

If they were to add the ponds into a DLC, it better be a side project with Naval assets that bolster the existing but weak Naval assets. That's probably why they hadn't added in ponds early, because they didn't have plans for it at the time, and what they did work on gave them the run around, so to speak. But we got diving with an underwater vehicle and a re worked RHIB that looks "stealthy" but not much more than that. Sad considering Arma 3's main selling point was water and lighting... Anyhow, they'll sort it out, i know it.

If they were to add the ponds into a DLC, it better be a side project with Naval assets that bolster the existing but weak Naval assets.

I'm not sure if I want to use my nuclear submarine in the village pond.

After all, ponds are cosmetics for me and no real gameplay element. Which doesnt mean their missingness can be excused :)

Have a look at Far Cry 4 to see how much immersion (pun intended) is added to an open game world by rivers/streams/lakes/ponds/puddles.

Looks like sea water to me. Are you sure that's not under the sea level?

silola posted in some of his thread that those are custom objects, they are not swimmable tho, and I think boats are a no go too.

They sure look great nevertheless.

Maybe some people here missed the BIS response to this issue. The problem is not the ponds/water itself, the problem is the AI, and how they are not prepare to deal with inland water. BIS was willing to take out inland water, rather than dealing with changing the AI code. They will resist to the end before touching that. Last time real changes were made to the AI core routines was for A2OA 1.62. Something catastrophic should've happened to BIS regarding the access to the code, or their capabilities to deal with artificial inteligence.

I'm not sure if I want to use my nuclear submarine in the village pond.

After all, ponds are cosmetics for me and no real gameplay element. Which doesnt mean their missingness can be excused :)

"Missingness", I like that :)