fabio_chavez

Bohemia Interactive please comment on whats hindering you to introduce Ponds to Arma3

lawl

Because weapon inertia, firing from vehicles, slingloading and vortex ring state are flashy and easy.

But slapping some shitty water square on a ditch in the ground, now that's hardcore in-depth game design right there.

I kek'd

But slapping some shitty water square on a ditch in the ground, now that's hardcore in-depth game design right there.

Well, considering how diving is promoted as a feature, I' really would like to see inland water again. Not to mention that a completely dry landscape kind of looks bland, and I like my swamps without sea-surf sounds.

And, quite honestly, I don't see why lack of certain features is always justified with others that have been added. Personally, I can't be bothered with the Rotorlib flight model, not while we still have AI that can't fly a helicopter and land without getting into orbit.

Because weapon inertia, firing from vehicles, slingloading and vortex ring state are flashy and easy.

You don't get point, or you don't want to. The full sentence was:

I wouldn't give much for the lack of ponds, but for what they represent. Ponds would bring the whole issue of AI into the equation, so instead of working on the AI, they take the ponds out.

What is harder than weapon inertia, firing from vehicles, slingloading and vortex ring state, is fixing the AI, so they don't have to take out inland water, to prevent them from drowning.

yes, but it probably was a flawed design, swimming with flipflops... no one would accept that.

;)

yup, and that swimsuit should cling a LOT more once wet [dribble]

Neah that wasn't a woman,maybe a CSAT android to confuse the enemies.History books will mention the Altis republic and its 4 mysteries,the ponds,the furniture,the c/p turrets,the women.

Heck,too bad X-Files isn't running anymore,Mulder would have hands full on Altis.I can already imagine the investigation: "Here,in this place,in this exact place there was a pond once,but now it's gone.Damn you Smoking Man for stealing the ponds".

Heck,too bad X-Files isn't running anymore,Mulder would have hands full on Altis.I can already imagine the investigation: "Here,in this place,in this exact place there was a pond once,but now it's gone.Damn you Smoking Man for stealing the ponds".

I want to believe :).

Neah that wasn't a woman,maybe a CSAT android to confuse the enemies.History books will mention the Altis republic and its 4 mysteries,the ponds,the furniture,the c/p turrets,the women.

The pond is out there :)

Don't forget the missing furnitures; something odd is going on on Altis! ;)

Don't forget the missing furnitures; something odd is going on on Altis! ;)

That's his next case together with the missing women,I shouldn't say much but it's something more sinister and it involves K'baa and the tons of snakes on Altis.

You guys thought the real enemy was CSAT when in fact they're the good guys,they'll save us with their secret device,maybe they'll return the ponds too.

They and Nikos,don't count on Kerry though,he's still lost somewhere on Altis and he still believes everyone.

The ability to create rivers, ponds, streams, and so on would be great. Perhaps one day we could have armored bridge-layers and genuine river crossings.

Forget Furniture, it's an FPS hit. That's why in Arma 2, most houses weren't enterable, but those that were had Furniture. Pretend everyone grabbed their stuff, and high tailed it to mainland Greece. Besides, I'm interested as hell now for what they have in store for the new Terrain, which they have been working on for quote, "awhile"... How long is awhile? More importantly, if it has ponds or rivers, or if it doesn't? But i'm sure, they'll fix it over time. Lets just make sure they don't forget.

My guess is south-east Asia, maybe China or Pacific Ocean since it's mentioned a few times in the campaign.

Maybe they might even give us proper amphibious assault ships or landing crafts since the terrains are usually islands or border with the sea... :confused:

Also furniture other than being FPS expensive makes movement indoors a mess, in an engine that doesn't really like confined spaces as they are.

I'd prefer having ALL the buildings explorable, even if it's just a skeleton.

In A3 most of the larger buildings like the hospital or the apartments are kept to a bare minimum with just a couple rooms and a stairwell. :(

Edited by Chairborne

Forget Furniture, it's an FPS hit. That's why in Arma 2, most houses weren't enterable.......

Sorry, I don't agree with this. Operation Arrowhead had enter able buildings and while there was a hit in Zargabad when I first started playing, my GPU now has eliminated it and I play now with no noticeable fps hit.

What it is, is BIS being under resourced or just not caring about it.

Well some furniture back against the wall could be a nice touch but if it saves even little bit of CPU resources I'm happy without them.

Sorry, I don't agree with this. Operation Arrowhead had enter able buildings and while there was a hit in Zargabad when I first started playing, my GPU now has eliminated it and I play now with no noticeable fps hit.

What it is, is BIS being under resourced or just not caring about it.

Zargabad. A small town, many buildings. Altis... Haha... Kavala is something i'd rather not talk about in terms og having furniture in every, single, building. Imagine. Imagine a world, were you look at the ocean, and get 60 FPS. You turn 90 degrees, and it because a nice Slide Show of the old Capitol City of Altis, Greece.

Edit: However, though, a South East Asian map would be highly welcomed. As it fits the campaign, and CSAT's story line, and could have many opportunities in terms of detail in terrain and detailed buildings. If they did, however, take a Zargabad approach, i wouldn't mind... For a teaser map. Much like Utes of Chernarus, or Zargabad of Takistan, or Stratis of Altis. Maybe, a small map area, as a taste of the Real deal. I could hope for this, but they would need to at least address ponds if they are to pull off something as ambitious as Asia. Mountains and Waterways are a perfect combination for Arma's new Engine capabilities, especially with the new fog and rain combined. The feeling you can get out of that would be... Anyhow.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

I don't think every building has to have furniture and I also don't think every building has to be enterable.

A balance could be struck as opposed to just deciding to have no furniture anywhere.

Hey guys, come on now... the thread topic :mad:

In all seriousness though...;)

@Darkside

I think the most "relevant" thing for pond objects in that type of environment would actually be like swamps, but yeah I guess those would be some type of pond object, or they could pull an altis and just sink the ground in.

Hey guys, come on now... the thread topic :mad:

In all seriousness though...;)

@Darkside

I think the most "relevant" thing for pond objects in that type of environment would actually be like swamps, but yeah I guess those would be some type of pond object, or they could pull an altis and just sink the ground in.

Where as sinking the ground in can work... It's not ideal if you want to make it look like a swamp. For example the ocean has waves and it's own specific hard defined graphics. Swamps, are almost still, and different colored and should be separate from the ocean to a certain extent. Minecraft... Pulls off swamps better than BIS could probably do... Nifi isn't a good example, but they did what they could at the time. I would bring up other examples, but I can't think of any right now. Times have changed and with the new Terrain pending, in production and probably a rough sat texture by now, it's a good idea to address issues plaguing other water sources.

Actually, they declaring the new map's been in production for some time, is a bad news for ponds, 'cos that would put the map in the same timeframe of BIS' statement about ponds not being a priority.

Actually, they declaring the new map's been in production for some time, is a bad news for ponds, 'cos that would put the map in the same timeframe of BIS' statement about ponds not being a priority.

Truth. Forgot about that. (almost) =/

Unless they are to create the terrain first, and than work on a properly working water source... But i'm not expert, i don't know if they would work on the water or map first, and combine the two... Or they could use the Virtual Reality map, create a higher than water line ditch, and work out different water solutions that way.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

It's kinda old but i'm not sure if anyone has seen this before. I stubled across it whilst i was looking into Naval mods that add more life to the dead seas of Arma 3... But this...

A possible solution to making Rivers a reality, could well be possible if the time was put in.

as far as furniture, shouldn't it be possible to dynamically spawn it only when the player is near (at least in SP) to minimize performance hit?