fabio_chavez

Bohemia Interactive please comment on whats hindering you to introduce Ponds to Arma3

BIS and BI are different companies!!!!!

While true they use same or very similar engines and vbs is actually an engine behind arma's. They obviously share information and technology such as when vbs announced it was moving to arma2's ai scheme.

Realizing they do have different scopes, needs, and direction I still find it kinda funny when they pull the "we are utterly different and separate companies". Just look at the utterly unique and competitive logos. That and the man did say he would have an answer.

Edited by froggyluv

wonder how many reponses this thread needs to gather before they even bother to react... ;)

At least 125.

It is an internal rule we cannot break under any circumstance. :p [JOKE!!]

Simple answer is - they do not work properly. In many cases they did not even work properly in A2, however it was less visible than in A3. And with addition of some new features and improvements, we encountered more and more problems (AI, Dx11, physx, diving, animations, path finding,...).

You may ask, why don't we fix it. It has also simple answer - it is not impossible, but it requires manpower that is limited and we have to choose what has a priority.

About VBS - in 99% VBS solutions are not suitable for Arma, as they can afford to ignore some aspects of a game - like whole AI. And that river was more of a marketing demonstration than fully working solution.

@Dwarden You said on first reply when u have time you will reply on main question now 3rd reply still not wright answer only some argie about BIS sim,no sim studio no studio. Can you please reply and tell us why VBS 3 have rivers and arma 3 dont?

Why does this keep coming back to VBS3.?

Should the question not be simple ,are there any plans to get ponds/rivers working in arma 3.

has there been any talk amonst devs themselves about fixing it hopefully before marksman dlc goes into production.

It's something that is in my own opinion really restricting map makers. Which is a shame as I was really looking forward to what they could do in the new arma 3 world.

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Damn Dr posted right as I done mine.

Cheers for the answers. And hope when yous have a bit more resources can get it fixed sharpish.

Why does this keep coming back to VBS3.?

Should the question not be simple ,are there any plans to get ponds/rivers working in arma 3.

has there been any talk amonst devs themselves about fixing it hopefully before marksman dlc goes into production.

It's something that is in my own opinion really restricting map makers. Which is a shame as I was really looking forward to what they could do in the new arma 3 world.

Rivers - no.

Ponds - this issue is not fully ignored

At least 125.

It is an internal rule we cannot break under any circumstance. :p [JOKE!!]

Simple answer is - they do not work properly. In many cases they did not even work properly in A2, however it was less visible than in A3. And with addition of some new features and improvements, we encountered more and more problems (AI, Dx11, physx, diving, animations, path finding,...).

You may ask, why don't we fix it. It has also simple answer - it is not impossible, but it requires manpower that is limited and we have to choose what has a priority.

About VBS - in 99% VBS solutions are not suitable for Arma, as they can afford to ignore some aspects of a game - like whole AI. And that river was more of a marketing demonstration than fully working solution.

So what your saying, is that the river in the video actually wasn't a river because it didn't work like a river...? Seems legit... I hope one day we can get a full military sandbox with rives and all, because as of the moment, no one out there has such a thing. But soon maybe. The ponds on Arma 2 were great. They worked beautifully for most things. AI could switch across them too, and if I remember it correctly (which I should after sitting in a pond at Stary Sobor for roughly 2 hours during a dense fire fight), even rain splashes are visible on the surface of ponds and it looks beautiful.

Must be thrilling to on one end have your hands shackled to introduce VBS features due to AI whiile on the other have a mindless horde screaming your AI sucks or just dump it and go MP.

#L2Code #OfpDrBeatsArmaSilly

Rivers - no.

thank your for the response! :cheers:

im have no doubt you guys consider your prioritys according to your best efforts and you surely are aware of the value that the terrains represent for the game.

I can only urge you, that when you take up on the issues you hopefully take up on them in a comprehensive way to get rid of this 2-3 bugs (see original post) that are central to restore proper functionality of the maps and i further hope that it wont be a matter of years... -_-

After being around Bohemia Interactive (BIS) games for what feels like an eternity, give it a year and some intrepid addon/map maker will have worked out how to implement them.

After being around Bohemia Interactive (BIS) games for what feels like an eternity, give it a year and some intrepid addon/map maker will have worked out how to implement them.

the mapping crowd tried it unsuccessfully during the past year so im not very confident about that anymore.

the mapping crowd tried it unsuccessfully during the past year so im not very confident about that anymore.

Yep. Not gonna happen.

Thanks to BI I'm a richer man: It was AI related after all :).

Getting outraged over not having rivers and ponds? GIVE ME A BREAK people, the game has much more important issues than this!? This thread is almost comical! Geez, the patience on BIS... :notworthy:

Everyone has different priorities : mission makers want the AI fixed; terrain builders want more options for their map.

Besides, who's being outraged?! The goal of this thread was to obtain a clear answer from BIS on this matter.

Give yourself a break and stop ranting in here...

• Like 1

Getting outraged over not having rivers and ponds? GIVE ME A BREAK people, the game has much more important issues than this!? This thread is almost comical! Geez, the patience on BIS... :notworthy:

Almost comical? HAH! What a joke. Imagine every single new map from modded and BIS themselves, not having one proper inland water source, which could duras rivalry effect gameplay depending on the location/setting. Canals without water anyone? That would look horrific, and would eliminate the ability to take water craft inland. Ponds/ actual lakes for missions or settings? None. It'd be a dip in the surface and would look terrible. This thread is important for getting a clear picture of why it isn't in game yet, and then maybe we can start attempting to fix it as a community unless BIS already has the answer.

Some are waiting for rivers/stream for over a decade... many can be patient but sometimes after awhile, you can't be anymore.

At least we have an answer but it is not the one I was hopping for.

imo the game would need a better water simulation. Waves, multiple sea levels, water going sideways, waterfalls, ect. I don't think it would be such an issue in Real Virtuality to have that. Most of this stuff was possible in 2003's Vietcong. But I'm not an expert on the matter so don't take my words. :)

Guys this thread is about ponds!!!

class Sea_F;

class Pond_F : Sea_F

{

texture="a3\data_f\ponds\pond_green_ca.paa";

};

;D

.. K, enought of joking. Really BIS, why is it that hard to include ponds in a RV4 engine ? You did that in a RV3 earlyer and we had no problems with it. Just include exactly the same thing in Arma 3 and it will be all ok. I mean, what's blocking you ?

;D

.. K, enought of joking. Really BIS, why is it that hard to include ponds in a RV4 engine ? You did that in a RV3 earlyer and we had no problems with it. Just include exactly the same thing in Arma 3 and it will be all ok. I mean, what's blocking you ?

They don't have the manpower, not at the moment at least.

Rivers - no.

Games ruined me enough to make me believe that rivers are just very long ponds. :p

Sorry, had to :P

Though yeah, working ponds would be nice even if its just for backwards compatability

so I went onto Podagorsk tonight to continue work on a new MP Campaign and headed down to the river - a spot I have always loved because of the mission possibilities it offers.

Congratulations BIS - now it's just a dry valley - your complete incompetence has gone a long way to fking what was once a great game - you have succeeded in removing furniture from buildings, half of the objects that existed in A2 and you can't even figure out how to put water on an island. The modders make it - the Devs break it.

I think it's fair to say that whatever talent there was at BIS before has moved on, and BIS should be worried about the future.

Thanx for fking my mission making.

so I went onto Podagorsk tonight to continue work on a new MP Campaign and headed down to the river - a spot I have always loved because of the mission possibilities it offers.

Congratulations BIS - now it's just a dry valley - your complete incompetence has gone a long way to fking what was once a great game - you have succeeded in removing furniture from buildings, half of the objects that existed in A2 and you can't even figure out how to put water on an island. The modders make it - the Devs break it.

I think it's fair to say that whatever talent there was at BIS before has moved on, and BIS should be worried about the future.

Why are you complaining to BI when a mod you are using isn't working?

This certainly would not be a BIS fault, you are using a mod to get an Arma2 island to work in Arma3. I would consult the appropriate mods documentation, before you start throwing around accusations.