spirit6

Mission Template Stand Alone GAIA - Make missions FAST by using MCC GAIA engine

I'd love to have a copy of your interface. Always good to have more ideas and things to learn from. Thanks.

Hey there people. Anybody still actively using this? Going to goof around with it myself to see what is still working. Winter is coming so probably more hours inside.

• Like 1

Yes, definitely still using this and love it. It would be awesome to see new work being done on it. Please do and good to see you around.

+1 on the actively using this.

Love the way it works.  Like the ability to create a group in the editor and then add it to GAIA or spawn a group and then add it to GAIA.  Still thinks it produces the most interesting AI behaviour.

My favourite trick is to park a helicopter near by and tell it to "MOVE" and let GAIA call it into the AO as support.  S

Edit: I also don't want to go down the MCC route.

Edited by strider42
Added comment about MCC

Another user reporting in. It's already a great system for the way the AI behaves, and the flexibility it offers in mission making.

Like others, I use it outside of MCC, the stand-alone script version. 

On 2017-11-10 at 5:20 AM, spirit6 said:

Hey there people. Anybody still actively using this? Going to goof around with it myself to see what is still working. Winter is coming so probably more hours inside.

Yup and wouldn't mind seeing some updates if there are any to be made.

Gonna get my Arma installed and do some research on changes tomorrow. Let's see what we can do.

On 11/10/2017 at 10:20 AM, spirit6 said:

Yes ! Still think this is great and I believe a number of people still use it. 

Thanks Spirit. 

Discussed with you years ago on this I believe Spirit. I find GAIA too knowledgeable about the location of "you" once you are spotted by the enemy. GAIA will immediately know where you are and surround you. I know some of this will be lousy Arma spotting and "knowsAbout" properties. But if you can fudge in something I think it would make GAIA that much better. 

On 11/19/2017 at 5:00 AM, spirit6 said:

Gonna get my Arma installed

Arma3 uninstalled? no! You couldn't have!

You upgrade your computer or what happened?

I couldn't uninstall arma3 unless i had a serious issue with it where a fresh install was required, removing this game would be like giving my kitty i raised for 6yrs to a shelter.

9 hours ago, delta99 said:

I find GAIA too knowledgeable about the location of "you" once you are spotted by the enemy. GAIA will immediately know where you are and surround you.

Agreed its like your checking yourself at the door before you go fight them, really no chance for any real stealth.

• Like 1

On 2017-11-27 at 2:22 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

Arma3 uninstalled? no! You couldn't have!

You upgrade your computer or what happened?

I couldn't uninstall arma3 unless i had a serious issue with it where a fresh install was required, removing this game would be like giving my kitty i raised for 6yrs to a shelter.

Agreed its like your checking yourself at the door before you go fight them, really no chance for any real stealth.

Yes, I think Spirit might want to look at a system like DAC and how it notifies and brings in other groups. Even with GAIA we've taken out a squad in 1 second. Stealth kill of all members at the same time. Yet, GAIA groups sent for reinforcement knew our exact location. DAC has a nice simulated system where depending on the group leaders skill and some random time values (which are customizable) will simulate being able to radio in reinforcements. So if that group leader is killed before they are able to call in reinforcements then they can't.

Anyway just something for Spirit to think about.

On 11/10/2017 at 2:20 AM, spirit6 said:

Yes, absolutely. I use GAIA as the main-stay of almost all my missions to handle the AI & create dynamic/persistent missions.

I posted on the last page my thoughts after using GAIA for quite some time. Take a peek at my last post on page 7. I'll summarize here, though:

The biggest improvement with GAIA imho would be more sophisticated co-ordination with different unit types, aka better combined arms tactics. I would like to see the variety of unit compositions considered when deploying orders to units operating in the same zone. For example utilizing certain units as scouts to spot the enemy, integrating artillery more (I have not noticed GAIA successfully utilizing mortars, etc, so I run a different script currently to ensure mortars fire on spotted targets in range) and so on. I think in particular the use of scouting/recon would immensely benefit the existing GAIA behaviors. I also haven't noticed GAIA properly co-ordinating air assets. It'd be nice to see helicopters called in as support, which seems like its intended to be possible by having GAIA allowed to call in non-GAIA units for support (aka having a helicopter at base take off, perform support & return without ambiantly patrolling) but I've failed to ever make this work.

In addition having slightly more nuanced patrolling behavior could add a lot to possible situations emerging. As currently squads rarely engage in much defensive combat, its usually a zigzag of flanking and counter-flanking. As I said in my last post:

Here is a potential situation I'd like to see: BLUFOR Squad A is patrolling, encounters an enemy squad& destroys it, rather than resuming patrolling Squad A then is ordered by BLUFOR-GAIA to hold that position for a period of time. OPFOR-GAIA will most likely dispatch any additional nearby units to the former combat zone & spots it has on BLUFOR Squad A, thus a static battle for a particular spot/point can occur organically.

Oh also, another thought from more play-testing with GAIA.

If there was a modifiable function where you could have GAIA merge depleted/low-man squads within a certain range that'd be incredibly useful. One of the weird immersion-breaking elements of GAIA is squads whittled down to 1-2 men still attempt to operate as if they were fully functional and usually do suicidal-like things. I wonder if this could be tied to implementing a "tactical retreat" behavior for GAIA where if in certain conflict-areas lots of lost & damaged squads/assets would force GAIA to pull back & reconsolidate its forces. This could be relatively simple such as pulling back to an area a certain range from the conflict-area & having in-area units reconsolidate/merge before advancing or you could have units attempt to withdraw to a designated base/hq/safe point in order to be re-enforced to full strength.

Right now GAIA's command-strategy results in something akin to brute-forcing, a bit like a parody of soviet WW2 "not 1 step back" hyperbole. Making GAIA attempt to preserve & retreat units would really enhance the emergent battles.

Little tweaks like the ones I've described could make GAIA even better for quickly creating a realistic & dynamic mission. With those sorts of behaviors you could use GAIA with a mod like unsung and have GAIA make squads insert, patrol, withdraw when wounded/damaged, etc with minimal scripting/effort. As is, I often set up GAIA matches in the editor and just watch them - tweaking things until the battles/behaviors seem realistic - and these are the behaviors I've found myself really desiring to see occur.

Is anyone having issues with Gaia respawn recently?

i cant seem to get it to work anymore,wether i enter it into the leaders init or use it from MCC console tab

Gaia respawn seems to be working fine on my missions.

My only suggestion is to create a really simple mission and test it with that.  The only times I have had issues with units spawning it has been something I have done wrong.

Good luck.  S

Just started using this and wish I had done it much sooner. Great set of scripts and very easy to setup with lots of flexibility.

My only complaint is that the download link to the manual doesn't work. Anybody still have it?

Thanks!

On 18/04/2018 at 10:56 AM, Lukeocyte said:

Just started using this and wish I had done it much sooner. Great set of scripts and very easy to setup with lots of flexibility.

My only complaint is that the download link to the manual doesn't work. Anybody still have it?

Thanks!

Any luck in finding the pdf?

On ‎14‎-‎6‎-‎2018 at 8:50 PM, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

@spirit6 cool to see you around ! :) 

Thanks, but that is all you will see :)

10 hours ago, Lukeocyte said:

Thanks so much for this! Still really enjoying this set of scripts for all our custom missions.

Nice! It was made to have fun with.

3 hours ago, kremator said:

Is GAIA v1.0 still the latest version or was it updated ?

If nobody updated it, then yes :)