spirit6

Mission Template Stand Alone GAIA - Make missions FAST by using MCC GAIA engine

MCC_GAIA_ZONESTATUS_WEST = []; for "_i" from 0 to 90 do  { MCC_GAIA_ZONESTATUS_WEST set [_i,"0"];};  

This is in the GAIA_INIT under //Side Specifics  

Can I put zone numbers in here to allow the AI to know which zone this is controlled by in the beginning?  

so like

MCC_GAIA_ZONESTATUS_WEST	=	[1,2,3,4]; for "_i" from 0 to 90 do  { MCC_GAIA_ZONESTATUS_WEST set [_i,"0"];};  

would be zones 1 - 4 are initially occupied by Blufor, so Opfor AI will approach these zones differently? 

Thanks!

No, not really. ZoneStatus: Sets the alert level of the zone on which the units will act on.

Each side (west, east etc) holds its own alert status on zones. For example. East is on High Alert because it spotted west troops. But for West the status is 0 (lowest) because East is not seen. This influences the behavior of troops of that side attached to a zone.

Becoming curious about GAIA, I've started the example mission that comes with the script download and I'm having an issue with squads getting on their transport but exiting it immediatly afterwards.

The transporttruck then moves an inch, the squad gets back on but disembarks instantly again...this proces just loops again and again.

I'm sure the example mission was working perfectly when the script was released so maybe the latest Arma update might have broken the transport script of GAIA?

Anyone else having this issue?

Like I said, I'm using the example mission and no additional addons.

I want to run a "killed" event script when a GAIA controlled unit is killed. Ideally I would like to set this on the commander, but I can be flexible.  I can set this up when I create the group but I am guessing GAIA caching will remove the this from the unit.

Am I correct in this assumption or does GAIA have any features that would let me implement this (even if I have to hack GAIA).  BD

I am having an issue with the respawn feature. I placed three squads of infantry down with the respawn script in the leader's initialization but after I dropped an artillery round on them they do not respawn. 

screenshot_102.png

The MCC GUI shows that they do have respawn and GAIA on however and when I use the MCC GUI they will respawn correctly.

screenshot_100.png

I had an issue with GAIA today where an infantry group started creating hundreds of waypoints (I was observing in Zeus).

When it got to 1300 waypoints, I deleted the group, but when it respawned, the same thing started happening.....

Does the NOFOLLOW zone method work on civilians? It doesn't appear to for me, but moves OPFOR in the same zone with the same command. I just want to make civilians randomly patrol in that zone.

How do you designate certain vehicles to be a transport vehicle ? I've noticed after a LOT of trial and error that the AI only seems to want to use the vanilla trucks and not the trucks from RHS for example.

Also is there a way to hand over units to Gaia through a trigger ? Like releasing reinforcements to be committed of sorts.

[edit]

Now to add an interesting development to this ...after getting the vanilla transports in .. all (RHS)vehicle crews dismount, mount up in the transports, dismount again and run off on foot to where they were supposed to be driving. (Even the arty that was defined as arty for gaia)

@spirit6

You should probably post your updated (beta) Gaia version here because it fixed the transport issue with helicopters.

I manage to spawn groups on the Headless client, but cant get them to follow gaia's orders. I am using the regular init commands used in the gaia example mission. Am I doing anything wrong?

This is a part of my script: 

_newGroup = createGroup east; 
_newUnit = _newGroup createUnit ['rhsgref_ins_grenadier', [583.116,4707.59,0.00143814], [], 0, 'CAN_COLLIDE']; 
_newUnit setSkill 0.5; 
_newUnit setRank 'PRIVATE'; 
_newUnit setFormDir 302.788; 
_newUnit setDir 302.788; 
_newUnit setPosASL [583.116,4707.59,36.8566];  
_newGroup setFormation 'COLUMN'; 
_newGroup setCombatMode 'YELLOW'; 
_newGroup setBehaviour 'AWARE'; 
_newGroup setSpeedMode 'NORMAL'; 
(group _newUnit) setVariable ["GAIA_ZONE_INTEND",["1", "MOVE"], false]; 

I run it using execVM on the HC.

I manage to spawn groups on the Headless client, but cant get them to follow gaia's orders. I am using the regular init commands used in the gaia example mission. Am I doing anything wrong?

This is a part of my script: 

_newUnit = _newGroup createUnit ['rhsgref_ins_grenadier', [583.116,4707.59,0.00143814], [], 0, 'CAN_COLLIDE']; 
_newUnit setSkill 0.5; 
_newUnit setDir 302.788; 
(group _newUnit) setVariable ["GAIA_ZONE_INTEND",["1", "MOVE"], false]; 

I run it using execVM on the HC.

_newUnit setSkill 0.5;
_newUnit setDir 302.788;
{_x setVariable ["GAIA_ZONE_INTEND",["1", "MOVE"], false]} foreach units _newGroup;

try this.

Hello, I would just like to report that the current version of GAIA bundled with MCC still has not fixed the Mortar issue. They still do not fire.

@spirit6

Thanks for the great system. GAIA is my go-to these days for the types of missions I make (Dynamic fully populated map missions where 2 sides are fighting regardless of what the player does). The co-ordination of infantry groups is fantastic & I've enjoyed just watching my missions play themselves.

That said, there are a few issues & suggestions I'm personally experiencing. I'll list them all in as concise a manner as possible.

1) Respawns: Works fine mostly but sometimes there is a inconsistent delay. Would be nice to knowb why (perhaps large maps, long GAIA cycles?) &be actually able to hardset a delay time (For example set an infantry squad to respawn right away but a helicopter to only respawn after a 30 minute delay)

2) Use of combined arms/co-ordinating vehicles: Maybe its my own map/mission design but I find GAIA doesn't do combined arms assets so great. For example if I have infantry patroling an area I'd like them to be able to "call on" helicopter support. Instead what I find is helicopters basically patrol their own areas independently and only occasionally co-ordinate on the same targets as ground troops. I've tried to set helicopters uncontrolled by GAIA & then enable GAIA to send non-GAIA units into attacks but when I do this GAIA never sends them in.

3) Utilizing Transports: It simply doesn't happen. No matter how I set it up helicopters/trucks go off and patrol themselves and infantry units do their own things. I'd like to set it up so helicopters would shuffle infantry units close to combat zones (think helicopter transport in vietnam) but it just doesn't occur.

4) Scouting: It'd be nice to be able to have units that intend to pursue & track enemy units without engaging them (except in self defense). That way you could set 2-man recon squads to act as GAIA's eyes and ears to help her co-ordinate directing her assaults.

5) For infantry patroling/behavior it'd be nice to have a defensive option where squads/infantry use "hold" and other commands to establish a position. Here is a potential situation I'd like to see: BLUFOR Squad A is patrolling, encounters an enemy squad& destroys it, rather than resuming patrolling Squad A then is ordered by BLUFOR-GAIA to hold that position for a period of time. OPFOR-GAIA will most likely dispatch any additional nearby units to the former combat zone & spots it has on BLUFOR Squad A, thus a static battle for a particular spot/point can occur organically.

What I'm aiming to do in my missions is basically have the AI realistically simulate combat at the battle-level. GAIA works fantastically for co-ordinating infantry and general intelligence of enemy presence but doesn't quite manage combined arms. if GAIA could get its infantry to call in airstrikes, strafing runs, & utilize vehicle/air transport to move around it'd make my ARMA experience complete!

anyone know how i can see if all units in a zone are killed (and not chached) ??

if i use a trigger it will fire when the untis Cache, anyone know how to get around this _???

i want something similar to EOS where i can see that a zone has been cleared.

I can re-upload it somewhere, or pass it along to someone who can/will.  No idea what the rules are for that, but I'm sure someone will tell us.

In the mean time, I have a question: Has anyone figured out how to get the ground vehicles to patrol a zone without simply stopping at the edge of it and never moving again?  I enjoy using GAIA, except for that.  The ground vehicle patrols have been crap for me.  At least the way I'm using them has been.

The example missions shows assigning the INIT stuff to the vehicle instead of the group leader (Commander) of the crew.  Off it goes,  Until it hits the edge of the zone and parks.

Any thoughts on that?

-Doc

13 hours ago, target_practice said:

All the downloads and links on the OP are broken, are there any working ones?

Like 99% of the time when searching for working links:

On 9/10/2014 at 8:27 AM, spirit6 said:

Helicopters that have no transportation and have guns are considered attack heli's (and wait for a CAS call).  The rest is patrolling.

With vehicles in general, I can't get them to patrol at all.  Armed vehicles will be called to attack if needed.  Unarmed vehicles all get Sentry waypoints right where they are already sitting and are never commanded to move during the entire mission.  I've tested this with multiple vehicle/command combinations and the result is always the same.

I'll start looking to see if I can find where to tweak the scripts to change this behavior.  In reality, those armed vehicles would be available for patrolling on a regular basis.    

Not bitching, I love this mod.  I just wish vehicles were more useful.  I'll see what I can figure out.

-Doc

Hi spirit6,

I'm running into some issues use standalone GAIA with errors like

fnc_SortGroupsByCA.sqf, line 106

which you stated in this thread should be fixed in the MCC release. Is an update of standalone GAIA still to be expected ?

regards,
Patrick

Hi all,

I'm looking for some example code that would hand over to GAIA control over groups that were created by some other AI spawning system, ie. DAC, EOS, or some other scripting framework. In this way I could have randomness in location, size, and number of groups created but get the benefit of GAIA's command intelligence.

@Tuskegee_99th what like this?

[ ALPHA_1_1, "1", STRI_GAIA_FORTIFY, true] call miss_fnc_gaia_addGroupToGaia;
[ ALPHA_1_2, "2", STRI_GAIA_FORTIFY, true] call miss_fnc_gaia_addGroupToGaia;
[ ALPHA_1_3, "4", STRI_GAIA_FORTIFY, true] call miss_fnc_gaia_addGroupToGaia;
[ ALPHA_1_4, "3", STRI_GAIA_PATROL, true] call miss_fnc_gaia_addGroupToGaia;
[ ALPHA_1_5, "3", STRI_GAIA_PATROL, true] call miss_fnc_gaia_addGroupToGaia;
[ ALPHA_1_6, "3", STRI_GAIA_PATROL, true] call miss_fnc_gaia_addGroupToGaia;

S

I'll dig the rest of the min-library I have to do something useful with the above if that is what you want

Yes, that looks like what I was looking for. Can you tell me where you found that info? Thanks I'd appreciate it.

I't part of an interface I created for my missions which you are welcome to. However if you want to add a group to GAIA you need to do the following:

// Add group to GAIA.
_group setVariable [ "GAIA_ZONE_INTEND", [ _zoneName, _gaiaCmd ], false ];

// Enable group caching if specified.
if ( _enableCache ) then {
   _group setVariable [ "mcc_gaia_cache", true, true ];
};

Where:

_group - Is the group you want to add to GAIA.

_zoneName - Is the marker name ( "0", "1",,,,"n") of the zone the group will operate in/from.

_gaiaCmd - Is one of: FORTIFY", "NOFOLLOW", "MOVE".

_enableCache - Is a boolean flag to say weather you want GAIA to handle the caching or not.

My mini-lib was created for a semi-automatic map population system I created. I also changed the GAIA commands to Fortify, Defend and Patrol because I think they better describe what they do (and I am a pedant).

When I next get some time I'll open a new post and put a link to it from here with the library details.  Enjoy  S

Link to GAIA interface: https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/211291-simple-gaia-interface/?do=findComment&comment=3243442

Edited by strider42
Added link to my GAIA interface