spirit6

Mission Template Stand Alone GAIA - Make missions FAST by using MCC GAIA engine

I tried using one of the standard BIS fortifications (the 2 story MG bunkers - Land_BagBunker_Tower_F) and they didn't seem to select them at all. They will get in static guns however like O_HMG_01_high_F. So, I tried putting them onto the 2nd story of the bunkers but they first didn't seem to get into them. To me it looked like they were stuck trying to get up to the 2nd story so just remained in a strange position outside the bunker (this might be similar to what you were seeing). But then when I tried again they finally got into a static gun on the 2nd story. I will need to test again with just the bunkers and nothing else to see if I ever get guys on the 2nd story or if they always just get stuck. It could be that there is a dumb position set to the outside of the bunker and it just so happens I was unlucky enough that they never choose the position on the 2nd floor or even inside.

Delta,

i havnt messed around with it much but it dosent seem to work 100% for me too.

I would recommend SpunFins ai spawn script.It can cache and militarize and fill house(fortify) and so much more,i use it to compliment MCC missions when i want to militarize an area independant of GAIA influence,and also because it caches with different player set paramaters and can count alive/dead and respawn groups when player leaves set range.

Very easy to use and works great with MCC.The script can fortify literally any object i put down that contains positions.

Delta,

i havnt messed around with it much but it dosent seem to work 100% for me too.

I would recommend SpunFins ai spawn script.It can cache and militarize and fill house(fortify) and so much more,i use it to compliment MCC missions when i want to militarize an area independant of GAIA influence,and also because it caches with different player set paramaters and can count alive/dead and respawn groups when player leaves set range.

Very easy to use and works great with MCC.The script can fortify literally any object i put down that contains positions.

I've done some further testing and it seems that GAIA fortify does not recognize Land_BagBunker_Tower_F (in editor name Bunker (Tower)) as a building I guess. Probably a config issue or something since it does recognize Land_BagBunker_Small_F (Bunker (Small)) and Land_BagBunker_Large_F (Bunker (Large)).

Perhaps someone can point out the config issues with it or something so that it can be reported to BIS if in fact it is a bug. Or perhaps just a bug with GAIA itself.

Spirit, this is very easy to reproduce. Put some Bunker Tower's in a zone with nothing else and a couple of groups to fortify that zone.

@redarmy, I was hoping to use just GAIA so that I can release the AI from fortify when the conditions are right. Or have units perform other GAIA functions and then fortify when conditions are right. But I will look at SpunFins as well to see if it can be of use in this case.

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Another question for spirit:

Will GAIA script conflict with MCC GAIA? So far it doesn't seem to be an issue but thought I'd ask just in case.

And yet another question for Spirit: Are any of the CSAT helicopters recognized as transport? I tried all of them plus an independent and nothing is recognized for transport. As soon as a through a truck down the units will use that no problem.

Will GAIA script conflict with MCC GAIA? So far it doesn't seem to be an issue but thought I'd ask just in case.

You use the template OR you use MCC Mod. Not both. Both are stand alone. You can use all the commands as seen in the template in an empty mission if you hold the mod. GAIA is a part of MCC.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

And yet another question for Spirit: Are any of the CSAT helicopters recognized as transport? I tried all of them plus an independent and nothing is recognized for transport. As soon as a through a truck down the units will use that no problem.

Helicopters are auto detected and categorized in either transport or attack helicopter. Transport Heliopcters basicly wait and patrol. If you expect them to do transport request just like trucks then we have to disappoint you. The helicopters transportation fucntionality has been disabled (by me) as they were crash dummy's and had very very very very weird behavior entering hot zones, resulting in : anything but what you wanted them to do.

Are these parameters recognized when using the script version of GAIA?

MCC_AI_Skill

MCC_AI_Aim

MCC_AI_Spot

MCC_AI_Command

I.e I can just add them to init.sqf and all AI will behave accordingly?

Is Headless Client supported? And If so how would I go about configuring GAIA to use it.

Also.

Regarding the Caching. It would be nice if there was a possibility to adjust the GAIA_CACHE_STAGE_2 in the init. So that I can for example have a very short spawn for the whole group but let the group leader be an active part from a greater distance.

Or maybe even better an option to not spawn units when planes are flying over so that Pilots can fly about without risking the statbility of the server.

Edited by johan614
Also-part.

You use the template OR you use MCC Mod. Not both. Both are stand alone. You can use all the commands as seen in the template in an empty mission if you hold the mod. GAIA is a part of MCC.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Helicopters are auto detected and categorized in either transport or attack helicopter. Transport Heliopcters basicly wait and patrol. If you expect them to do transport request just like trucks then we have to disappoint you. The helicopters transportation fucntionality has been disabled (by me) as they were crash dummy's and had very very very very weird behavior entering hot zones, resulting in : anything but what you wanted them to do.

Ah, wait a minute. I think I just understood your point on running MCC and GAIA script at the same time. While testing a mission I can just run MCC and call GAIA functions. Then when releasing the mission to public I can include GAIA script. A thought, can the script version detect if MCC is running and therefore not initiate? That would prevent conflicts if someone out there picks up my mission but also runs MCC.

As as for the helicopter issue that is unfortunate. I think in the MCC thread you said you might make this optional. That would be good. Right now I was using it in a way to simulate reinforcements to a defended area and I wanted the timing of helo transport to be a factor. The area that reinforcements are being delivered shouldn't be too hot so perhaps issues above wouldn't be too bad.

@Delta. You should be able to check if the MCC GAIA functions are in the function library. If so, MCC is active. I can pass you a command later today when i am back from work :)

edit:

With the following call you can check it. If the result is true, then MCC is active.

!(isNil("GAIA_FNC_STARTGAIA"))

Edited by spirit6

Are these parameters recognized when using the script version of GAIA?

MCC_AI_Skill

MCC_AI_Aim

MCC_AI_Spot

MCC_AI_Command

I.e I can just add them to init.sqf and all AI will behave accordingly?

Is Headless Client supported? And If so how would I go about configuring GAIA to use it.

Also.

Regarding the Caching. It would be nice if there was a possibility to adjust the GAIA_CACHE_STAGE_2 in the init. So that I can for example have a very short spawn for the whole group but let the group leader be an active part from a greater distance.

Or maybe even better an option to not spawn units when planes are flying over so that Pilots can fly about without risking the statbility of the server.

No, you need MCC for MCC. This is not MCC standalone, it is GAIA standalone. Pure and only the AI system. All you can do is what is explained in the template and/or with your own scirpting skills. Including changing stage2. simple find it :)

There is no plan for pilot fly over options, but who knows ;)

@Delta. You should be able to check if the MCC GAIA functions are in the function library. If so, MCC is active. I can pass you a command later today when i am back from work :)

edit:

With the following call you can check it. If the result is true, then MCC is active.

!(isNil("GAIA_FNC_STARTGAIA"))

Thanks Spirit, I actually found an MCC variable I can check and was going to post my code here but this one is probably better. I think I had to wait a few seconds within init.sql before the variable was actually defined though.

Wow, just spent a couple of hours playing with this in the editor and I am impressed.

More to the point, I spent a couple of minutes whipping up a quick battle and then a couple of hours watching the mayhem unfold.....

Just a quick question: Is there any way to run an init script on a respawning group?

Specifically, I'd like to run this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?183684-Jona-s-Easy-Redress-Functions

Thanks Spirit, I actually found an MCC variable I can check and was going to post my code here but this one is probably better. I think I had to wait a few seconds within init.sql before the variable was actually defined though.

With the functions there is no need to wait as they are part of the function library and loaded when arma starts. Thinking of it, I think it is better to check on a MCC function then a GAIA function in case I update the template to use the config functions also.

So !(isNil("MCC_fnc_createMCCZones"))

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Wow, just spent a couple of hours playing with this in the editor and I am impressed.

More to the point, I spent a couple of minutes whipping up a quick battle and then a couple of hours watching the mayhem unfold.....

Just a quick question: Is there any way to run an init script on a respawning group?

Specifically, I'd like to run this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?183684-Jona-s-Easy-Redress-Functions

Checkt the template. There is already an option to make groups respawn.You can set the setvariable command to a group at any time you like, if you want to go the scripted wayt. But that is for you to find out ;) Good to see you hold a good time with it. If you want to go the easy way, i suggets use MCC that holds the GAIA system (integrated).

Hey spirit,

I would actually like to know this too,i like to add items,clothing etc to infantry and ESPECIALLY for armour,i like to set init commands so that tank crews dont bail because of a destroyed track by entering in the veihicle init a line to make them stay in till 0% health(dont have init code infront of me rite now).

Once they respawn,inits dissapear.

Hey spirit,

I would actually like to know this too,i like to add items,clothing etc to infantry and ESPECIALLY for armour,i like to set init commands so that tank crews dont bail because of a destroyed track by entering in the veihicle init a line to make them stay in till 0% health(dont have init code infront of me rite now).

Once they respawn,inits dissapear.

Well you are on your own there ;) There is no support for custom init if you make use of gaia respawn functionality.

Well you are on your own there ;) There is no support for custom init if you make use of gaia respawn functionality.

OK, fair enough. I guess it will work just the same to spawn in a new group, run the custom init and then add them to Gaia...

Hey,

this simply sounds great. I have s long game tomorrow on all of Altis with many AI and I'm looking forward to giving it a try with that mission.

But I have a question fir you ecperienced builders: AISS or ASR_AI with GAIA?

Hey there,

It's been a long time since my last post. I just wanted to highlight that for my community Gaia has really been a gamechanger, both for our main missions - now with an incredibly better AI - and for side missions that can now be made in less than one hour in the mission editor. Thanks again for making Gaia a standalone.

Do you plan to improve it and to release a v2?

I don't think it is but is this suitable for medium-large(20-50) COOP missions with around 50-100 units per objective(10 objectives, consecutively created after the previous has completed/failed)? Maybe somewhere around 20 groups. I'm not sure if this is more appropriate(performance wise) than UPSMON would be in this situtation.

Hey there,

It's been a long time since my last post. I just wanted to highlight that for my community Gaia has really been a gamechanger, both for our main missions - now with an incredibly better AI - and for side missions that can now be made in less than one hour in the mission editor. Thanks again for making Gaia a standalone.

Do you plan to improve it and to release a v2?

Good to hear mate, that is mostly the reason why I wanted GAIA active. Yes, when something usefull will be around there will a new release.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

I don't think it is but is this suitable for medium-large(20-50) COOP missions with around 50-100 units per objective(10 objectives, consecutively created after the previous has completed/failed)? Maybe somewhere around 20 groups. I'm not sure if this is more appropriate(performance wise) than UPSMON would be in this situtation.

I am not sure what you ask me? If your server can handle that amount of AI is more up to your server then GAIA. Comparing to UPSMON I can do a little as GAIA replaced UPSMON in the MCC mod as the AI system. We noticed much better performance. Not sure if this is still the case but UPSMON is Kronzky's UPS script with all sorts of extra's in it. That runs for each and every AI group, GAIA runs only one proces on server side. So the more groups, the better GAIA will perform compare to UPSMON.

Been using this script for several months and loving it- thanks so much Spirit.

Just a question if someone can answer please?

Is it possible to spawn units via a script then implement GAIA? for e.g.

_grp1 = []; 

if (isServer) then {

_grp1 = [getmarkerpos "Op1", EAST,(configFile >> "CfgGroups" >> "EAST" >> "OPF_Mas_rus_sof_F" >> "infantry_mas_rus_v" >> "BUS_mas_rus_InfTeam_v")]call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup;

_grp1 setVariable ["mcc_gaia_cache",true, true];  _grp1 setVariable ["GAIA_ZONE_INTEND",["1", "NOFOLLOW"], false]; 
};

Been messing for a while and they are spawning fine, but are not patrolling or caching. Anyone else done this or know how to make it work?

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Sorry disregard- the most simplest error (and stupid ! :confused: ), I didn't add: if (isserver) then {call compile preprocessfile "gaia\gaia_init.sqf";}; to my init.sqf ;)

Hi Spirit6 or anyone else,

I have been using the Gaia stand alone for a long time now and never had issues.

But today I started making a new mission and I'm getting this error:

GAIA_CACHE_STAGE_2 = (2*GAIA_CACHE_STAGE_1);

MCC_GAIA_CACHE_STAG>gaia_cache_stage_1

Error Undefined variable in expression: gaia_cache_stage_1

Any help/ideas would be great thanks.

Hi Spirit6 or anyone else,

I have been using the Gaia stand alone for a long time now and never had issues.

But today I started making a new mission and I'm getting this error:

GAIA_CACHE_STAGE_2 = (2*GAIA_CACHE_STAGE_1);

MCC_GAIA_CACHE_STAG>gaia_cache_stage_1

Error Undefined variable in expression: gaia_cache_stage_1

Any help/ideas would be great thanks.

Seems like you missed out on the init.sqf that initializes the gaia_cache_stage_1

-> GAIA_CACHE_STAGE_1 = 1000;

// The follow 3 influence how close troops should be to known conflict to be used. (so they wont travel all the map to support)

// How far should footmobiles be called in to support attacks.

// This is also the range that is used by the transport system. If futher then the below setting from a zone, they can get transport.

I think I should introduce some error's in gaia so i get more feedback :):cool:

Thanks Spirit. Sometimes I miss the most obvious reasons for the cause of an error. I simply copy and pasted from a previous init.sqf into the new one...and missed the very first line GAIA_CACHE_STAGE_1 = 800; as you rightly recognised. :rolleyes: ;) That's annoying, as I spent so much time looking for something more "complex", I can't believe I missed something so fundamental lol!

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it and I love this script, it's so good ! :)

Thanks Spirit. Sometimes I miss the most obvious reasons for the cause of an error. I simply copy and pasted from a previous init.sqf into the new one...and missed the very first line GAIA_CACHE_STAGE_1 = 800; as you rightly recognised. :rolleyes: ;) That's annoying, as I spent so much time looking for something more "complex", I can't believe I missed something so fundamental lol!

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it and I love this script, it's so good ! :)

:yay:

If you like, share some of the missions you made (if not stuffed in addons :P ). I am sure it will help others build some stuff! :)

This question is mostly for the mission editors that use this addon. Is it better than UPSMON? I am going to test this and see. Does this have any similar effects like VCOMAI? for example flanking and taking cover?

thanks.

This question is mostly for the mission editors that use this addon. Is it better than UPSMON? I am going to test this and see. Does this have any similar effects like VCOMAI? for example flanking and taking cover?

thanks.

Hi. GAIA template is not an addon, it's a scripted version. If you want GAIA as addon, take a look at MCC; GAIA is included there. For what gaia can do, please take a look at my video's shown at the front page. Happy comparing :)