aluc4rd

Sling Loading Feedback

If I recall, the model requires a full four memory points to support sling-loading.

There are current examples that have a single memory point for sling-loading:

Land_WoodenBox_F
Land_MetalBarrel_F
Land_FlexibleTank_01_F
Kart_01_Base_F

Tested the metal barrel and that works, you get a single rope that attaches to the object.

Maybe "component0x" is just not a memory point....

Last night I was lifting a semi-ridged inflatable raft under my standard Vanilla Taru when my anti-torque went red and I barely got it down in one piece. Is Sling loading just something to avoid when using the Taru for now?

------------update-------

I tried this again tonight with the Taru on small light loads and again had the Anti-torque fail. I then got a CH-67 Huron and lifted several vehicles without issue. I will just need to stop using Taru's for any sling loading needs until this issue is addressed.

There are current examples that have a single memory point for sling-loading:

Land_WoodenBox_F
Land_MetalBarrel_F
Land_FlexibleTank_01_F
Kart_01_Base_F

Tested the metal barrel and that works, you get a single rope that attaches to the object.

Maybe "component0x" is just not a memory point....

"component0x" isn't memory point for sling loading - they are named "SlingLoadCargoX" where X is number (so for example "SlingLoadCargo1"). Count of memory points defines how many ropes will be used for lifting cargo.

Example from config:

slingLoadCargoMemoryPoints[] =

{

SlingLoadCargo1

SlingLoadCargo2

SlingLoadCargo3

SlingLoadCargo4

};

In this case cargo will be lifted with four ropes. Same named memory points must be placed on model of cargo.

On mentioned metal barrel is placed only one memory point so one rope is used.

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Last night I was lifting a semi-ridged inflatable raft under my standard Vanilla Taru when my anti-torque went red and I barely got it down in one piece. Is Sling loading just something to avoid when using the Taru for now?

Hi, it's known issue and assigned for fixing, but at this moment I'm afraid can't tell when in will be fixed.

Is there any way to add slingloading to objects that we can't add memory points too? (Like old, binarized content)

Is there any way to add slingloading to objects that we can't add memory points too? (Like old, binarized content)

I'm afraid that in this case is vanilla Arma 3 implementation of sling loading not usable. But you can always use script commands - relevant ones are here

• Like 1

Aluc4rd, just a quick question as you seem to know what your on about here. I'm part of 3CB and we added sling loading to a model of a chinook that we got permission to edit but we are only able to activate it but the scroll menu not via "2xR" which is how you can with the huron. Would you be able to advise if we need to add some extra code into the config.cpp to get this to work or is it part of the advanced flight model?

Thanks

Andy +3CB

Aluc4rd, just a quick question as you seem to know what your on about here. I'm part of 3CB and we added sling loading to a model of a chinook that we got permission to edit but we are only able to activate it but the scroll menu not via "2xR" which is how you can with the huron. Would you be able to advise if we need to add some extra code into the config.cpp to get this to work or is it part of the advanced flight model?

Thanks

Andy +3CB

Sling loading works same way with both flight models - standard or RotorLib. On model must be placed memory point and in config must be these two lines:

slingLoadMemoryPoint = "slingLoad0"; //name of memory point must be same in confing and in model

slingLoadMaxCargoMass = 1500; //maximal cargo weight (in Kg) which can helicopter lift

Then it should work.

Please check Controls settings - because rope interaction key was during development changed from 2xR to B (sling load assistant is Right Ctrl+B). Maybe the issue is there?

Hey dev. can u pls explain me how can i lift multiple objects??? is there any catch or? i place two ammoboxes in editor close to eachother and hower helicopter on assistant i always see only 1 box green and i can only attach one box what do i need to do to hook both boxes or smaller objects

Hey dev. can u pls explain me how can i lift multiple objects??? is there any catch or? i place two ammoboxes in editor close to eachother and hower helicopter on assistant i always see only 1 box green and i can only attach one box what do i need to do to hook both boxes or smaller objects

Hi, I'm afraid it is not possible to lift multiple objects with basic Arma 3 Sling Loading functionality.

It's not working great. I have some hurons to pick up containers but sometimes they fly pass them and they have to come back , do a loop and then pick it up. This wastes time and it's problematic for my mission because time of arrival matters! I'm looking for a way to initialize a flying helicopter with a container attached. Anyone knows anyway to script that?

Try to use setSlingLoad command.

So if a cargo that you want to lift has a name of 'box', you put in choppers init:

this setSlingLoad box

That will start the mission with box already attached to your chopper.

Edited by YoursTruly

Bug found!

While in the Advanced flight model, I am unable sling load any object. The rope drops, the sling load cam works, it latches the object. but when I go to life, the object doesn't move and acts like an anchor.

When the object is still attached, when I switch to standard mode, I am able to pick the object up and move it as you'd expect, but when I switch back to advanced it just falls and brings the Helicopter with it.

it happens with all helicopters, mod-ed or not. and no object can be lifted, vehicles, ammo box, ect...

hope to hear solutions or hope this gets fixed soon.

Question:

Is it possible to set 2 slingloading points so you can slingload 2 things (like ammo crates, no big things like containers or vehicles) with one Helicopter?

If this is possible, how can I add this. We would like to implement this to our CH-53's we are working on.

I hope to hear a solution soon!

I cannot pass the sling load showcase mission. When I hook the first container and try to lift it up helicopter doesn't go up. It looks like the container is too heavy.

I cannot pass the sling load showcase mission. When I hook the first container and try to lift it up helicopter doesn't go up. It looks like the container is too heavy.

Works fine here. Any mods?

Works fine here. Any mods?

I do not use any mods to play this mission. I am trying this mission with advanced helicopter flight model.

Is it me or is the scaling of the white distance circles in the SLA panel incorrect?

Also, could the attachment/hook radius be more like a cone than a vertical cylinder? At present you need to be quite low and exactly over the cargo, when the length of rope you have would easily allow greater tolerance - especially when you'd likely have a ground crew helping out!

If not - could this be adjusted in a mission .ext or .sqf file at all?

I may be late to the party ie conversation. Love the fact you guys added more functionality to the game but the way you guys have it makes this new feature very limited for mission designers the number of vehicles you can sling load and transport into a AO is so limited it forces designers to use other's addons with less overall polished graphics for overall functionality to the game. Maybe I am missing something some simple code to add to allow lifting of heavier Vehicles tanks by some of the vanilla Choppers. I know if you mess around with the weight by adjusting configurations but that can casuse issues when driving the vehicles on the ground. The simple fact that you guys added a carrier (awesome) but no way to really use it to deploy armor vehicles due to the fact no transport boats and the limited ability of the Choppers to lift vehicles forces people to use addons and not the vanilla content and that is truly sad for me. 

Let's face it addons modifications to the game are great  love the  mod community but when you guys implement these functions that the community come up with Graphically and functionality are so much better by you guys. 

20 hours ago, avibird 1 said:

Maybe I am missing something some simple code to add to allow lifting of heavier Vehicles tanks by some of the vanilla Choppers.

Realistically it's impossible to lift a tank with a helicopter (not even close) so that's why it makes sense that you can't do it in the vanilla game.

See also:

@joostsidy please don't get me started on realistic. News flash OFP/ARMA is still a video game it's for fun not real military simulation training. Lifting tanks and other vechicles have been added to the game from modders for years that adds fun to the game. The community already has a dozen or so scripts and mods that will allow you to lift tanks. 

The vanilla system graphically is better then what is out there for sure. Boheima could have easily put in a code that would allow mission makers the option to lift heavier vehicles. Your point is it's not realistic everything about arma3 is fictional from the uniforms guns vehicles ect.

So I don't see your point. It's just forces me to use a script or a mod to allow a proper deployment from the US freedom. Boheima was awesome enough to give us a aircraft carrier but still very limited with functionality you can't go to the lower decks have extra vechicles stored get back on the freedom from the water. You have to download landing craft just to make a proper Beach Landing for a mission.  

It's no big deal because the great mod/scripting community will always provide these things but when it comes from Bohemia it's better because it's more polished and it allows the community to push the envelope further what they can do within the game world which then makes boheima release better upgrades and DL content for all of us.

The mod community is like the think tank for boheima. They look at what the Community is doing and wants and then they make it a little better at some point in time. This has been the formula for a while and it works.  I am not being a jackass I am just expressing my views on this. 

I understand your wish to make the game flexible, I agree that anyone should play as they wish, even if its two tanks slingloaded by a Little bird.

11 minutes ago, avibird 1 said:

Boheima could have easily..

I always get the feeling that people who say this have never created a game or mod themselves.

8 minutes ago, avibird 1 said:

@joostsidy I am not being a jackass I am just expressing my views on this. 

I respect that.

• Like 1

Lol that would be a funny thing to see a little bird with two tanks ?.

Seriously I don't play with respawns of units or vehicles nor do I play with the ability to spawn new vehicles during a mission. Everything is calculated for that mission for balance.

So if you have a platoon of tanks and  if you lose them then either you need to capture an enemy tank or attempt to repair your tanks. I loved the old domination mission from Xeon when you could airlift a bonus vehicle back to your base and repair it to full use.  

There is a script that I use that allows you to repair destroy vechicles  using the bobcat however you only get one during a mission so take care of it. You should only go on a salvage mission when the AO is clear for sure.

Yes boheima could have added it very easy to adjust the lifting capacity of some of the bigger helicopters I don't want to see a little bird lifting two tanks lol. 

For example CH 49 Mohawk is in reality AW101 Merlin. It can lift 5440kg or 5tons and a half. Slammer MBT for example which is real life Merkava III LIC

weights about 52 tons. So yeah designers in Arma made right decision. If you want flexibility use scripts. If you want devs do something about it,

I would vote for Logistics dlc where you would have trains and trucks to transport MBTs around the map.