aluc4rd

Sling Loading Feedback

Quadbike, UAV (Ababil, Greyhawk), UGV, rubber boats, armed boats, SDV, CSAT and IND planes, MRAPs, offroad, SUV, hatchback, kart, van - almost everything which is lighter than 12 tons.

That's really good info. Thank you.

Usability - Its impressive, especially they way individual ropes can be stressed to breaking point :). From mission making perspective Ive noticed two things with the Ai that dont seem right (They praobly have been mentioned as they are fairly obvious):

* If you use the "Drop Cargo" / "Lift Cargo" waypoints or setSlingLoad command the helicopter will rock back and forth while in forward flight as if its got auto hover on. Meaning it flys very very slowly.

* There is a feedback tracker on this: The "Drop Cargo" waypoint does not seem to work as I'd expect as it only places the cargo on the ground and does not detach the ropes (you have to script this to get it to move on).

Difficulty - The system is simple from players respective and works like most Arma sling loading mods / scripts have over the years so should be fairly easy for most people to pick up.

Multiplayer - One thing me and a friend noticed is that it would be nice allow the co-pilot to release as well as grab the cargo. (he could hook but not unhook while co-pilot).

Its a useful feature to the game, nice work.

Edited by Big_Wilk

Hey all, I have been trying to add the sling loading to a model of a jackal, I have done alot of research of how to go about doing this but I have really struggled to get my head around it. Mainly with how to insert memory points and how to label them in oxygen2. If someone can give me a hand I and so many others would be greatful.

Following on from Andy's question. We now have the memory points on the Jackal and Landrovers from the Hafm pack. The Huron can see the points and connect the lines. However, when you attempt to lift, if you do it slowly the Jackal just slides along the floor and the ropes extend until they snap. If you quickly throttle up and lift quite hard with the Huron, the Jackal does lift, but bounces upward before it then levels out below the helicopter. I notice this does not happen with the Hunters. It is usable as is, but I'd like to make it smoother. I am guessing the physics if off somewhere. Any ideas? Has anyone else tried to add sling points to an arma 2 model port and had the same issue?

Hi,

I just wanted to know is there was an acknowledged issue with sling loading and Advanced Flight Model?

I have just experienced something similar to what's described in feedback 0021086(sorry, can not post link : new member). My experience is quite similar(youtube : watch?v=E_gK_N0gomc) (turn off the volume, I was quite pissed off :o)

I was lifting a pick up truck with an Hellcat and suddenly everything went wrong. You can't see clearly because it was inside camera(Wasteland Hardcore).

Hi,

I just wanted to know is there was an acknowledged issue with sling loading and Advanced Flight Model?

I have just experienced something similar to what's described in feedback 0021086(sorry, can not post link : new member). My experience is quite similar(youtube : watch?v=E_gK_N0gomc) (turn off the volume, I was quite pissed off :o)

I was lifting a pick up truck with an Hellcat and suddenly everything went wrong. You can't see clearly because it was inside camera(Wasteland Hardcore).

Basically every helicopter has unstable slingloading except the new ones.... :D

Hi,

Hi,

which truck was it? With vanilla sling loading Hellcat can lift max offroad so maybe it was scripted and then there can be issues with physics. Do you have same issue with for example Hellcat lifting quadbike?

Perhaps a list of what each helicopter is capable of sling loading could be implmented into the Field Manual entry of each specific helicopter?

Simply stating the sling loading tonnage capacity will not be enough as there are (in my experience) a lot of players who aren't educated on the weights of the respective cargos. I often see many people thinking that the AMV Marshall should be sling load compatible without realising the true weight of that vehicle.

A question of my own: how much work is involved in implementing sling loading onto various vehicles/cargo items? Is it simply a case of defining its eligibility via config and rope memory points on the model?

I ask because I'm interested in searching the weights of various items/vehicles that cannot currently be slung-loaded relative to their nearest real-world counterpart in order to open up the selection of liftable objects.

Perhaps a list of what each helicopter is capable of sling loading could be implmented into the Field Manual entry of each specific helicopter?

Simply stating the sling loading tonnage capacity will not be enough as there are (in my experience) a lot of players who aren't educated on the weights of the respective cargos. I often see many people thinking that the AMV Marshall should be sling load compatible without realising the true weight of that vehicle.

A question of my own: how much work is involved in implementing sling loading onto various vehicles/cargo items? Is it simply a case of defining its eligibility via config and rope memory points on the model?

I ask because I'm interested in searching the weights of various items/vehicles that cannot currently be slung-loaded relative to their nearest real-world counterpart in order to open up the selection of liftable objects.

Hm, not sure if Field Manual is ideal for a list - maybe community would be better.

As for implementation - you only need to add memory points to config and model (see this reply). Should take a few minutes per object. Depends on how precise you want to be with placing memory points.

I have been doing some experiments with the Taru, and found that the atrq rotor can become randomly damaged during sling loading operations without reason. (Without Advanced Flight Model)

Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?

Steps to reproduce:

• Step 1: Disable Advanced Flight Model if you have not already done so
  • Step 2: Load editor, Add 1 soldier for the player, 1 Empty Taru (standard) and 1 Taru transport pod.
  • Step 3: Preview mission, and hover the Taru over the pod then deploy the hook.
  • Step 4: After the load has hooked on fly around pulling some turns, run up to full speed and try to stop as fast as possible while staying low.

After doing this for only a few minutes I find my anti-torque rotor becomes damaged without any perceivable reason.

This happens on multilayer games, and in the editor suggesting it is a bug with the Taru itself.

Hi,

which truck was it? With vanilla sling loading Hellcat can lift max offroad so maybe it was scripted and then there can be issues with physics. Do you have same issue with for example Hellcat lifting quadbike?

It was an offroad. I don't remember trying with a quadbike : next time on wasteland I'll definitely try :)

A friend of mine had a similar issue when lifting an hatchback, but I don't remember with which chopper... (we always play on Wasteland servers)

Ok so I will describe my problem here. I make many missions for my community, In newest one I decided to give sling loading a try. So I created a mission, where at start players are in four CRRCs waiting for pickup by MH47E (later I discovered that this addon helicopter doesn't work well with sling loading and I changed MH47E to Huron).

Testing on game server:

Helis are approaching to LIFT waypoint, next they nicely pickup cargo and start flying towards destination point where they drop off cargo.

Testing on dedicated with total of 16 players:

Helis are approaching to LIFT waypoint, next they nicely lower their altitude and this is point where WEIRD things start to happen. First off, you can feel desync as for some helis tend to make sudden moves. Now it looks like all boats gets attached to ropes and next part of weird things happen, some boats just stand still on water while helicopter is flying but with ropes attached (they get streched), what is happening next is same thing you can observe while shooting using a slingshot, they just get launched far high and most of players onboard is getting killed. For some boats same thing happen but they just get detached from ropes and fall on water again. From 4 helicopters that I used only one managed to safely pickup their cargo and drop it off at destination point.

I think this is related to that desync I mentioned above, when desync jump in ropes gets very deadly for players. You don't have desync while testing mission from multiplayer editor but on dedicated desync can happen.

I can't do anything myself besides edit my mission to just start at destination point inside boats.

Let's say I want to sling load vehicle which is too heavy, for example tank. Is it possible to force the sling loading via scripting commands?

Let's say I want to sling load vehicle which is too heavy, for example tank. Is it possible to force the sling loading via scripting commands?

Yes. However you need to reduce the tank's weight.

But, because there are no vanilla slingloading attach points on these vehicles, you need a workaround:

thera are 2 alternatives.

1) Adding the attach points via mod (vehicle configs) -> you still need a script which reduces the weight for the lifting, then sets it back

edit: you may need to edit the capacity of the helicopters too, because you won't "see" the tanks as a slingloadable object because of the heavy weight

2) Basically what I'm working on.. attaching a hidden supply box on the vehicles which serves as a trigger, a script attaches the ropes to the actual vehicle from the box (and reducing weight). You need the box to be hidden, invincible but get destroyed if the vehicle is destroyed. Basically this is it in a nutshell. Pretty easy mechanism btw.

In this scenario you still need to define custom attachpoints for the script, but you don't need to make a mod, it works as a mission script.

Hi guys,

Is there any official or community documentation on how to go about adding vehicles to the sling system?

For instance I want to be able to sling an empty (no fuel or ammo) AMV-7 Marshall/MSE-3 Marid/AFV-4 Gorgon with the Mi-290 Taru lift heli.

I don't mind doing the coding, but the process of learning which tools are available/necessary is tedious and I'm hoping someone else has already been down this road.

EDIT: Also is it doable in vanilla or will require a server/client addon to use?

TY.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Lifting a jet isn't much of a problem, where as jets can be emptied of fuel and weapons for lift. This alone makes an aircraft drastically lighter than a ready to fly jet. Tanks/APC's for the most part is a different story. However, something like the Marid, Gorgon, are acceptable lift able exceptions in my opinion. I may be utterly wrong, and they way a shit ton, but i'm not an expert.

So can we lift jets using the bigger choppers in Arma 3 now? I'm struggling to.

AND - is there a step by step guide to using script generated waypoints to cargo lift using a heli. i try but the helis does ntohing even though the jet is supposed to be under max weight.

Edited by twisted

Apparently you can:

(4:40 ->)

Yeah, Buzzard (AAF) and Neophron (CSAT) can be lifted by both new helis (Tatu/Huron). Wipeout is too heavy.

Nice. It's the buzzard I'm trying to get off the ground using the ai. Good to know it's possible. Now just to figure out why the ai didn't do it.

Do the way points work differently or with extra consideration when placed via script?

Be awesome to have a step by step guaranteed to work scripted example that includes getting the lifting heli in position (I'm using a move wp but the heli is very disobedient to even that, never mind air lifting a jet for me. Am sure I can hear them laughing from the cockpit at my scripting skills. Rightfully so as well.)

Edited by twisted

Can you do it so that small copter (AH-9, MH-9) or medium-sized copter (UH-80, Ka-60) are Sling like a photograph by future update in Tatu/Huron?

arma32015-01-0704-51-29-895_zps5f135b9f.jpg~original

What do I have to do to get "Land_Bricks_V1_F" slingloadable? All I could see is that it is missing slingLoadCargoMemoryPoints in its config. So I tried to get it working by creating

class CfgVehicles
{
class Land_Bricks_V1_F;
class Bricks_Slingloadable : Land_Bricks_V1_F
{
	displayname = "Slingloadable Stack of Bricks";
	slingLoadCargoMemoryPoints[] = {"component02"};
};
};

I could only find "component01" and "component02" as named resoures using DeP3d -S on the p3d.

However, it doesn't work. If I create a mission in the editor, add an Orca "heli" and my modified stack of bricks "bricks", I do get the following:

heli canSlingLoad bricks -> false

getMass bricks -> 1000

getNumber (configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf heli >> "slingLoadMaxCargoMass") -> 2000

So its not too heavy...

yes i hook is the command.

however, i hope the DEVs take another good look at AI slingloading. right now its a hit and many miss. many many times i call a heli right over a vehcile (a light enough vehcile) but they do not deploy to rope. do my whole mission then grinds to a complete halt waiting for AI to do soemthing it clearly doesnt want to do.

when it does work it is amazing, but so many times it just doesnt. be really nice to see the AI made more robust and more often able to sling load things.

What do I have to do to get "Land_Bricks_V1_F" slingloadable? All I could see is that it is missing slingLoadCargoMemoryPoints in its config.I could only find "component01" and "component02" as named resoures using DeP3d -S on the p3d.
If I recall, the model requires a full four memory points to support sling-loading.