aluc4rd

Sling Loading Feedback

Sling loading limits are based on mix of reality and ingame flight model - Huron can lift up to 10 tons, Taru can lift 12 tons. For example, weight of Marid is 18,6 tons. For Slammer it's 65 tons. Transporting heavier cargo is topic we are definitely aware of, but at this moment I can't promise you anything.

Btw. you can change weight of cargo via setMass command and lift tanks, but be aware that mass influences driving model and some other things so we can't guarantee that there won't be strange behavior.

Btw. you can change weight of cargo via setMass command and lift tanks, but be aware that mass influences driving model and some other things so we can't guarantee that there won't be strange behavior.

If you wanted in a mission or via a mod it would be fairly simple to have an add action on tanks, say "Prep for Sling Load" this would then lock the vehicle and alter it's mass. Then sling it and drop at AO. Then "Prep for Combat" reset mass to initial and unlock the vehicle. This would mean no adverse effects from the mass change and no firing whilst flying A Team Style.

You could make it as complex or simple as you like - say only have this available to engineer units or pilots/crewman.

Sling loading limits are based on mix of reality and ingame flight model - Huron can lift up to 10 tons, Taru can lift 12 tons. For example, weight of Marid is 18,6 tons. For Slammer it's 65 tons. Transporting heavier cargo is topic we are definitely aware of, but at this moment I can't promise you anything.

Thanks for that. :)

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 ----------

If you wanted in a mission or via a mod it would be fairly simple to have an add action on tanks, say "Prep for Sling Load" this would then lock the vehicle and alter it's mass. Then sling it and drop at AO. Then "Prep for Combat" reset mass to initial and unlock the vehicle. This would mean no adverse effects from the mass change and no firing whilst flying A Team Style.

You could make it as complex or simple as you like - say only have this available to engineer units or pilots/crewman.

I'd like to avoid using a mod to do this and I had also thought of exactly what you suggest. This is the way forward for now, at least.

I don't have access to my gaming machine right now so I wonder if anyone knows if setmass has only a local effect? Can the helicopter pilot machine set the mass of an object on the server?

Edited by Tankbuster

Can the helicopter pilot machine set the mass of an object on the server?

Yes - it's not the pilots machine doing it. The pilot would just trigger a script to run server side that is either in an Addon or part of the mission.

So it would require remote scripting. Not a problem, I can do this, it's just not as simple as it would be if the command had global effect.

The command would have global effect - you could set it up however you liked - local or global. Not sure MP would like the local effect though.

Tested some stuff.

The setmass command has a local effect. It must be executed local to the vehicle. To be exact, if you execute the command not locally to the vehicle you want to make lighter, the mass does change briefly to what you set it, but it then changes back. If you execute the setmass command on the same machine as the vehicle, the mass stays set.

The slingload assistant doesn't see an MBT regardless of it's mass though. :( The tank never shows on the SLA mini map.

Tested some stuff.

The setmass command has a local effect. It must be executed local to the vehicle. To be exact, if you execute the command not locally to the vehicle you want to make lighter, the mass does change briefly to what you set it, but it then changes back. If you execute the setmass command on the same machine as the vehicle, the mass stays set.

The slingload assistant doesn't see an MBT regardless of it's mass though. :( The tank never shows on the SLA mini map.

Ah ok I guess the command behaves differently to what I was expecting. As for the SLA minimap I never did expect it to show up as there is no config entry to get the vehicle to show up.

Now one way to get around this would be to make an "Advanced Sling Load" mod which would change the config of the vehicles that needed changing (adding them to SLA Map and defining sling points) then scripting the rest of the advanced functions maybe like require a person on the ground to hook up the ropes. A little more in line with IRL.

Yeah. It's either a mod, which I was hoping to avoid, or erm... plan B (yet to be made).

Is there no plans to at least allow slingloading on the Marshall? I mean it has the hooks (visually) and its the smallest of the armoured vehicles...IDK i just think it would be helpful to gameplay that you want to transport a bigger crew

JCae2798: You must have missed this comment, which proves that sling loading any of the APC's in the game, especially the Marshall is completely unrealistic.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?183042-Sling-Loading-Feedback&p=2800114&viewfull=1#post2800114

I did, thanks. I mean it makes sense, but for the sake of game play, would be nice. I guess i hope there's an easy way to change this if a mission maker wanted to.

I would like to ask if it would be possible to add the Kamaz Transport and Kamaz Transport (Covered) to the slingloadable vehicle list.

I'm suggesting this, because the Huran and Taru can lift an Oshkosh (Hunter), which weights, according to wikipedia about 11tons http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_M-ATV ( see right (Masse:11.34 t)).

The Kamaz truck's curb weight however, is only 10.2t according to http://www.kamazexport.com/trucks/cargo-body-trucks/16.

In addition, this would give the Kamaz truck an advantage over the heavier and larger CSAT and NATO trucks. Please tell me what you guys think.

Edited by R3vo

Good idea. Whether a vehicle can be sling-loaded should depend on it's weight, not some arbitrary restriction.

Good idea. Whether a vehicle can be sling-loaded should depend on it's weight, not some arbitrary restriction.

And on top of that, you should be able to hook all vehicles, regardless of whether or not you can lift them. It's a lot more realistic to be able to hook something but not be able to lift it off the ground than for the helicopter to just say, "nope, not hooking to that".

And on top of that, you should be able to hook all vehicles, regardless of whether or not you can lift them. It's a lot more realistic to be able to hook something but not be able to lift it off the ground than for the helicopter to just say, "nope, not hooking to that".

I totally agree, didn't think about that at all. Would be really great if the RPM would go down when you try to lift a to heavy vehicle.

Attempting to lift vehicles that are too heavy, will cause you to... Not go anywhere. You are basically playing tug of war and your not the one winning. IF you try too hard to move something you can't, it may even cost you your life. I tried lifting around Large containers with an Orca. Lol. (though, this was not with the Sling Assistant, this was done via ropecreate)

Attempting to lift vehicles that are too heavy, will cause you to... Not go anywhere. You are basically playing tug of war and your not the one winning. IF you try too hard to move something you can't, it may even cost you your life. I tried lifting around Large containers with an Orca. Lol. (though, this was not with the Sling Assistant, this was done via ropecreate)

I actually wanted to say that the RPM go down, to the point where you fall of the sky. So yep, you shouldn't go anyway with a too heavy load.

I'm saying that it should be dependent on the design of the mission. If a mission designer wants an Orca to lift a Slammer, it might look odd, but that's the only reason why not.

I think we are talking about two different things here. The standart should be, that all vehicles which weight is < 11 or 12 tons should be liftable. In addition there should be a module or script command to increase that weight limit.

I think we are talking about two different things here. The standart should be, that all vehicles which weight is < 11 or 12 tons should be liftable. In addition there should be a module or script command to increase that weight limit.

Agreed.

Again, I think it should depend on mass. I don't know if mission designer can change a vehicle's mass, but BI shouldn't need to "balance" liftable vehicles in any way. They give you a helo and a tank. Whether the helo can fly with the tank slung underneath should depend on how heavy the tank is and how good it's engines are. If you're too persistent trying to lift something you can't, you crash. IRL, it's definitely possible to anchor yourself in place with a sling if you're trying to lift something that weighs more than you think it does.

Exactly. And not only vehicles, I think. Everything that could conceivably be transported by a helo. Of course, I'm not talking small clutter objects (that'd make actually hooking what you're supposed to a chore). This should also be the "default" behavior, as in, not dependent on something that says "this object can be sling-loaded", but rather just determining if the object in question is a vehicle/crate/whatever you might want to hook.

Also, while it'd likely be a significant expansion of the feature, it should be possible to use the sling to pick up men from the ground. SAR helicopters can do with a winch, one person at a time (should probably be a SAR-exclusive ability) and you can also do a "grape-style" extraction with a special harness (could likely be done as a vest), with multple commandos attached to a single rope. I've seen it done by Polish GROM commandos on the Special Forces day celebrations. Looks quite impressive, although I suppose you should be terrible careful not to piss off the pilot while you're flying like that over water... :)

Edited by Dragon01