aluc4rd

Sling Loading Feedback

Any chance of making the rope to act less like a giant bubble gum and more like a rope? Maybe add another command setRopeElasticity?

Edited by Killzone_Kid

I second the rope Elasticity. Maybe it just needs tweaking? I can see why the rope is elastic, because it's a visual representation of it being strained due to the weight, and it indicates that the rope may seen break, depending of course on how far you've stretched it.

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

Also, I tested out tying down a vehicle inside a heli, aaaaand, it kinda worked, the weight is there, but there are some major glitches that happen at speeds higher that 20kph, soo...

Mission design is everything. Walking is boring? After Montignac!

What an amazing and annoying mission at the same time!

What an amazing and annoying mission at the same time!
And something that it sounds like BI has no interest in intentionally reprising...
Also, I tested out tying down a vehicle inside a heli, aaaaand, it kinda worked, the weight is there, but there are some major glitches that happen at speeds higher that 20kph, soo...
Unfortunate but not surprising (if it was never advertised to begin with, why would devs prioritize it).

Does anyone know if the devs plan on adding people to the sling loading/ rope capability - in regards to HRST/ STABO/ SPIE operations? It would certainly add another dimension to sling loading!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_Rope_Suspension_Technique

I think that would require the man class to be added to the sling cfg. and have the helicopter come in and sling load a person the same as if they were a vehicle or supply crate. However, it would still only allow one person to be sling loaded muh like only one vehicle currently can be slug loaded.

Now that sling loading rope is available, is there anything the developers can do to facilitate "Fast Roping" from helicopters and/or cliff rappelling?

Development of sling rope, fast rope, tow ropes, rescue baskets, or cliff rappelling could be the basis of a Coast Guard helicopter rescue add-on for Take On Helicopters. Or for ARMA 3, Rescue chopper ops in a hostile combat area.

Now that sling loading rope is available, is there anything the developers can do to facilitate "Fast Roping" from helicopters and/or cliff rappelling?

Development of sling rope, fast rope, tow ropes, rescue baskets, or cliff rappelling could be the basis of a Coast Guard helicopter rescue add-on for Take On Helicopters. Or for ARMA 3, Rescue chopper ops in a hostile combat area.

It's already been states about 30 times that Fast Roping wasn't planned for a baseline of Arma 3, in fact, they didn't even plan ropes before the Helicopters DLC, I don't think. Or maybe that was FFV... Anyhow, currently there are community members along with supporters, working to get a simple, and maybe complex... Version of fast roping and other uses into the game.

Now the ropes are working properly (unravelling) it's just a case of getting the AI/Players to slide down the rope nicely...

Now the ropes are working properly (unravelling) it's just a case of getting the AI/Players to slide down the rope nicely...

Working on it, currently pushing for the ability to set rope elasticity on the Feedback Tracker. =D

It's already been states about 30 times that Fast Roping wasn't planned for a baseline of Arma 3, in fact, they didn't even plan ropes before the Helicopters DLC, I don't think. Or maybe that was FFV... Anyhow, currently there are community members along with supporters, working to get a simple, and maybe complex... Version of fast roping and other uses into the game.
It was specifically said by pettka that they didn't even plan sling-loading until the Helicopters DLC, and all that's publicly available of PhysX ropes on dev branch is pretty narrowly focused on the sling-loading application... other uses will probably be fortunate happenstance rather than intentional. :(

EDIT: Oh, and the ability to define the position on a rope, which should be more of what your wanting for a nice slide.

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

It was specifically said by pettka that they didn't even plan sling-loading until the Helicopters DLC, and all that's publicly available of PhysX ropes on dev branch is pretty narrowly focused on the sling-loading application... other uses will probably be fortunate happenstance rather than intentional. :(

Ahh yes, that's it. None the less, I'm determined to push every idea for further implementation of the ropes, as it works well for Sling Loading, it can be useful for a ton of other applications. Soon.

Working on it, currently pushing for the ability to set rope elasticity on the Feedback Tracker. =D

Found and voted the ticket.

The excessive elasticity is a problem in many rope applications other than the actual sling loading. There it only looks a bit funny.

I experimented with zip-line concept and the rubberbanding was the only big issue I couldn't fix yet:

The ropes seem to stretch almost +50% in length. There's two ropes on the video and the other one is even wound in by 7m but it still bounces.

I wish the tensile strength should also be editable.

By the way, does anyone know which items react properly with ropes? The only ones I found working in the above video are vehicles. Is there a tiny/invisible dummy object I could use as the sliding element?

Edited by Greenfist

Did we ever get a comment from BIS on ability to modify sling loading, as far as what helis can airlift what? I know the community figured out a workaround by reducing the weight of vehicles but that's just not a good option, you get weird issues with that.

Found and voted the ticket.

The excessive elasticity is a problem in many rope applications other than the actual sling loading. There it only looks a bit funny.

I experimented with zip-line concept and the rubberbanding was the only big issue I couldn't fix yet:

The ropes seem to stretch almost +50% in length. There's two ropes on the video and the other one is even wound in by 7m but it still bounces.

I wish the tensile strength should also be editable.

By the way, does anyone know which items react properly with ropes? The only ones I found working in the above video are vehicles. Is there a tiny/invisible dummy object I could use as the sliding element?

Yeah, the only issue I see is the elasticity... How do you get the guy to slide down the rope? Or is that just gravity?

Yeah, the only issue I see is the elasticity... How do you get the guy to slide down the rope? Or is that just gravity?

My secret is two ropes, going in the opposite directions. Then I just wind/unwind them; the other gets longer and the other shortens. Suitable also for aerial cable cars. :)

Interesting... Well, good news, sorta, maybe... The Feedback of setting a point on a rope has been acknowledged.

Did we ever get a comment from BIS on ability to modify sling loading, as far as what helis can airlift what? I know the community figured out a workaround by reducing the weight of vehicles but that's just not a good option, you get weird issues with that.
The only other workarounds that I'm aware of are:

#1: attachTo'ing a vehicle to an invisible object which is itself light enough to be underslung

#2: a 'replacement config'-type mod addon with a custom capacity/tonnage value for that helicopter.

It's already been states about 30 times that Fast Roping wasn't planned for a baseline of Arma 3

Which is why I asked if the developers can help "facilitate the feature", as opposed to asking them to entirely "CREATE the feature".

[Although it should be noted that in the feedback page there is a feature request for fast roping with about 900+ votes.]

In other words, script writers & add-on makers want to create the feature, but they may need some help from the developers, thus . . . developers can help FACILITATE by doing things like allowing the adjustment of the rope elasticity, etc.

hi, has anyone else tried having 2 x AI helicopters lift 2 separate loads (all via lift / drop waypoints) at the same time - Its crashing arma 3 everytime I try it. Tried altering the helicopters, tried changing maps, happens on both altis and stratis... Just wondered if this is a known issue ?

hi, has anyone else tried having 2 x AI helicopters lift 2 separate loads (all via lift / drop waypoints) at the same time - Its crashing arma 3 everytime I try it. Tried altering the helicopters, tried changing maps, happens on both altis and stratis... Just wondered if this is a known issue ?

I've had up to 6 choppers lift at the same time. With waypoint though... I'll have to try that out.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

The only other workarounds that I'm aware of are:

#1: attachTo'ing a vehicle to an invisible object which is itself light enough to be underslung

#2: a 'replacement config'-type mod addon with a custom capacity/tonnage value for that helicopter.

OH! I just remembered. In Zeus there is an Invisible Supply Crate under Empty, I believe it's the first one on the list. Try that out for the invisible object. Not sure how well it's going to work, but it's worth a try.

did some more testing, appears to be an issue when you have the choppers doing multiple cargo lifts and drops, so on stratis, each heli takes off flys to a cargo pick up, picks up quad bike and drops it at next waypoint no problem, but when you start getting into then flying to another another location and each heli then doing another cargo lift, that's when arma 3 seems to freeze and stop responding. Least it does for me....

Update ok - I've figured out the problem - its caused by trying to lift items that don't appear to be (at moment at least cargo), I made the mistake of assuming that because I can lift the Supply box (Nato), that all the other items under Ammo were liftable - turns out it can't see them when I fly the heli myself and do ctrl-b to get lift assist. So looks like there's a bug there at moment, if AI are tasked to lift something they can't it crashes the game - for interest I tried the following Nato ammo crates and they all caused it to crash - Basic Ammo, Explosives, Grenades, Support. So only one that appears to work so far is Supply Box.

Edited by sentryuk

Hey guys, been trying to read the threads and available commands and cant figure it out. Is there q uick solution to allow custom vehicles to be allowed to slingload until releasE? I've tried the setmass command in units INIT and not working. Thanks

I believe that it also requires said vehicles to have four memory points for the ropes to be "hooked" to in order to make them sling-loading compatible? Part of the initial sling-loading rollout was the BI ground vehicles and rubber boats having those memory points added.

attachTo isnt working :( When i attach a ammo box to hunter for example, the rope just stretches and breaks.