aluc4rd

Sling Loading Feedback

Yeah. Sling loading currently allows us to lift a tiny proportion of the vehicles in the game. Altis is SO large that there is no way of getting any vehicle more than a couple of tonnes around the map without lots of boring driving.

Please allow mission makers to, in the name of playability, to make it so the Huron and similar aircraft lift even the super heavy vehicles such as MBTs.

I can't think of a single helicopter capable of lifting a modern MBT. That's a job for planes, trains, ships and trucks with a low bed trailer, like Champy said. If BI decides to stick to the Huron and Taru's real life counterparts' attributes, they'll be able to lift around 12t and 19t, respectively. We can only hope that with the coaxial rotors, the Taru has more lift capacity than the Skycrane and lets us carry bigger armored vehicles around. :D

Edited by sykoCrazy

It doesn't matter that there's not a helicopter capable of lifting an MBT. This is the armaverse where normal rules don't apply and as a mission designer, I need to move tanks around the map. It's better a job for planes, trains, ships and trailer like Chamby said, but BI have given us none of those.

Yeah perhaps keep the default values as they are, but add a scripting command like setSlingLoadCapacity or something so a mission maker can choose how much weight the helicopter can carry.

It doesn't matter that there's not a helicopter capable of lifting an MBT. This is the armaverse where normal rules don't apply and as a mission designer, I need to move tanks around the map. It's better a job for planes, trains, ships and trailer like Chamby said, but BI have given us none of those.

You can use e.g setMass to script around that if you must move armor during a mission.

I'd personally find it very odd if any of the ingame helos would be able to carry an MBT.

Yeah perhaps keep the default values as they are, but add a scripting command like setSlingLoadCapacity or something so a mission maker can choose how much weight the helicopter can carry.

Oooh yeah. Gets my vote.

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

You can use e.g setMass to script around that if you must move armor during a mission.

I'd personally find it very odd if any of the ingame helos would be able to carry an MBT.

That's a usable workaround in the absence of setSlingLoadCapacity. I'm not a dev branch user, has it been shown to work already?

Would you want to drive a MBT from Feres to Kavala? Some missions require you to go across the island. Whilst i appreciate in the real world it doesn't, but unless they can add a low loader trailer to that cab thing that doesn't appear to have any other use then helos with a frigged setmass here we come... Im not driving 30km AT 20KMPH....

ps Its Champy NOT Chamby :P

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20911 as per this discussion...

That's a usable workaround in the absence of setSlingLoadCapacity. I'm not a dev branch user, has it been shown to work already?

Sure.

mmt2qLj.jpg

Would you want to drive a MBT from Feres to Kavala? Some missions require you to go across the island. Whilst i appreciate in the real world it doesn't, but unless they can add a low loader trailer to that cab thing that doesn't appear to have any other use then helos with a frigged setmass here we come... Im not driving 30km AT 20KMPH....

No, I certainly wouldn't, bu I still feel mission makers should transport the heavy armors by other means, like that one addon that allows you load stuff into trucks, or use a cutscene or something, it just feels so wrong to see an MBT hanging from any helo that's in the game.

Sure.

http://i.imgur.com/mmt2qLj.jpg

No, I certainly wouldn't, bu I still feel mission makers should transport the heavy armors by other means, like that one addon that allows you load stuff into trucks, or use a cutscene or something, it just feels so wrong to see an MBT hanging from any helo that's in the game.

And using IGI load and stuffing a MBT in the back of a Hemtt isnt wrong too :) Not being funny but a helo such as the Huron wouldnt look that bad... just seems odd you have a cab hemtt but nothing to tow from it? be happy to drive a convoy with Hemtts and low loaders.

And using IGI load and stuffing a MBT in the back of a Hemtt isnt wrong too :) Not being funny but a helo such as the Huron wouldnt look that bad... just seems odd you have a cab hemtt but nothing to tow from it? be happy to drive a convoy with Hemtts and low loaders.

I agree it would be ideal to have working low loaders, it just kills my immersion to see a 60ton MBT hanging under a helo, guess it's just personal preference and not something worth arguing over. :)

You just need to be careful with those featherweight MBTs: http://gfycat.com/SecondEveryAsp

Oh my! :eek:

lol

Sure.

Thanks Captain.

It does look mental and I note that the picture shows the least powerful helicopter lifting the heaviest tank, perhaps to reinforce the point. :)

You're right of course, a tank transporter trailer being towed by the HEMMT tractor unit would be best, but we don't have that yet. Until then I need to be able to get my assets from Altis Airbase to the remotest parts of the island without driving them. Airlift is the least worst option.

Thanks Captain.

It does look mental and I note that the picture shows the least powerful helicopter lifting the heaviest tank, perhaps to reinforce the point. :)

No probs, also, guilty as charged :icon_redface:

You're right of course, a tank transporter trailer being towed by the HEMMT tractor unit would be best, but we don't have that yet. Until then I need to be able to get my assets from Altis Airbase to the remotest parts of the island without driving them. Airlift is the least worst option.

Aye, the good thing is that this is Arma and you can do almost anything to get the job done, how ever you please. :)

To me it would be a great addition to the pack as it would cover all the bases... doesnt necessarily fit the pack as its not a helo but would make life a lot easier :) And no offence taken :)

Love the added sound effects in the xH-9 but still think the wind noise is to loud. As it is now it's very hard to hear any ques from the engine/rotor RPM while flying <150 km/h.

I do understand that it's an open cockpit and maybe the real thing is that noisy while in the pilot or co-pilot seat!? I don't want you to remove it but maybe lower it by 50% or something so you still can get valuable ques from the engine/rotor RPM. The new sound when hoisting the wires is great as well as the "thump" when landing.

Noticed that in todays build I was unable to load a 7 man squad into the MH-9 only 5 men get and the other two say unable and the two backseats are empty, anyone else having the same issue?

/KC

Love the added sound effects in the xH-9 but still think the wind noise is to loud. As it is now it's very hard to hear any ques from the engine/rotor RPM while flying <150 km/h.

I do understand that it's an open cockpit and maybe the real thing is that noisy while in the pilot or co-pilot seat!? I don't want you to remove it but maybe lower it by 50% or something so you still can get valuable ques from the engine/rotor RPM. The new sound when hoisting the wires is great as well as the "thump" when landing.

Noticed that in todays build I was unable to load a 7 man squad into the MH-9 only 5 men get and the other two say unable and the two backseats are empty, anyone else having the same issue?

/KC

First note, it's called Volume in game, it's separate from VON, so you can still hear chats, whilst having modified the sound yourself. Second, yes, especially in Zeus. I noticed AI refuse to get on the gunned benches of the MH-9, while only using the inner seats.

EDIT: Suggestion, So I've seen pic of the new Huron and some of the new Sandbox content, and i had thought, especially for those Supply Crates. It would be amazing if you slig those, and say your flying over an FOB and you can't stay there long, you can detach the crate, and it has a Parachute on it, so you can do a fast Air Lift's in hot zones. It would bring good logistical presentation to the new features.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

First note, it's called Volume in game, it's separate from VON, so you can still hear chats, whilst having modified the sound yourself.

Please read my post again, I'm not talking about VON!

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Please read my post again, I'm not talking about VON!

/KC

Oh, I see what your saying... However, I've been in an enclosed helicopter in flight, and it's still fairly load. In the case a helicopter like the MH-9 is an open helicopter, it's likely to be significantly louder, and your likely to hear a lot more wind than anything at those speeds.

When a helicopter is open you can also hear the rotor and engine better. I agree that the wind shouldn't drown the rotor/engine sound.

Driving an MBT from the central airbase to any point on the map takes no longer than 10-15 minutes. Perhaps a little bit more if you head into the hilly terrain in the NW but that's to be expected.

Sometimes I think I'm in the minority here, but to me, having to drive or walk somewhere for fifteen minutes is not fun at all and I don't know why so many missions make you do it. I guess it depends on what kind of mission or gametype it is, but in a normal co-op mission it's an unnecessary pain in the ass.

Sometimes I think I'm in the minority here, but to me, having to drive or walk somewhere for fifteen minutes is not fun at all and I don't know why so many missions make you do it.

I don't think you are in the minority Ranger. Let's put it this way - a lot of good missions don't have you walk that much.

Walking is good for you. Observing your environment as you go, and thinking of possible outcomes, and excecutions of missions can come from it. Plus if your like me, your tired of running across a Battlefield 4 map pretending that it's a big map, and that your playing tactically, when it's actually just run n' gun.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

On another note, I wonder if BI could add in the rescue rope from TKOH you do on the mission where the boat is on fire.

Mission design is everything. Walking is boring? After Montignac!