aluc4rd

Sling Loading Feedback

Would the engine support the ability to rappel down the side of a building?

Example

rappel.jpg

why can't a hummingbird lift a rubber rescue boat ?

is that thing not a lot of air and little weight as six men would easily lift it ?

Wondering about this aswell, they shouldn't weigh much more than 130-190kg.

Wondering about this aswell, they shouldn't weigh much more than 130-190kg.

Has anyone checked its weight in game? Maybe it's just incorrectly configured.

Would the engine support the ability to rappel down the side of a building?

Kind of off topic, but I don't imagine BIS will be adding support for rappelling. Obviously I don't know the source code of the game, but I'm pretty confident that rappelling (if it were to be done right) would require a whole new system to be put in place. However, depending on what capabilities scripters are given regarding ropes, we could very well see some kind of ghetto rappel system with physx ropes.

I was having a similar issue when trying to use the game updater. What I ended up doing was downloading the dev branch using my laptop, transferring it over to my desktop, renaming the folder to Arma 3 [development], and using the Arma3GU.exe to run the dev branch. More work than it should be, but it seems the game updater is somewhat broken (for me at least). I'm sure there's an easier way of doing it, but that's what I did.

Hi,

Thank you for your help, I will try to contact the French BI Dev in charge of it.

Would it be best to create a separate thread for the new rope in general and for feedback?

have not checked the weight but i think it has to do with (if it is the weight) the behavior on / in water physics

on the rubber boat it has water sounds when on solid ground (not a big issue nor on topic)

Would it be best to create a separate thread for the new rope in general and for feedback?

Since this thread is primarily about feedback for the game's built-in sling loading functionality, yes, that seems like a good idea. :)

If you decide to make such a thread, please be sure to clarify that it is about uses for ropes other than sling loading, and perhaps link to this one for good measure.

Edited by MadDogX
typo

atm can you lift anything besides a vehicle? I'd really want to be able to lift ammo boxes, but since there's no scripting documentation yet I'd like to try attachTo-ing a small object to lift others

atm can you lift anything besides a vehicle? I'd really want to be able to lift ammo boxes, but since there's no scripting documentation yet I'd like to try attachTo-ing a small object to lift others

At this moment it should be possible to lift Supply boxes (in editor - Empty/Ammo), metal barrel (Empty/Objects (Containers)) and woodden box (Empty/Objects (Construction)).

Finally got a chance to try it out and it's great! Opens up new possibilities for logistic service etc. in between pilots ferry troops to the AO.

Supply boxes (in editor - Empty/Ammo)

Couldn't lift anyone of thoose with MH-9 (to heavy?), the other two worked OK.

Anyone knows a puplic server to test the MP aspect of it? Could only find one in the list and that had password.

Ohh yea...Happy anniversary A3 :D

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

any information on how hard it will be to implement the slingloading into modded choppers?

any information on how hard it will be to implement the slingloading into modded choppers?

Not too hard, just a few extra config values. On another note you can shoot out the sling ropes and watch the cargo fall... you gotta be a pretty good shot though.

Just checked it, the getMass command returns 565, if it's consistent with all other vehicles then the unit seems to be in kgs, so the rubber boats are weighing 565kg.

Odd indeed.

Just checked it, the getMass command returns 565, if it's consistent with all other vehicles then the unit seems to be in kgs, so the rubber boats are weighing 565kg.

Odd indeed.

It sounds reasonable if you consider it to be a mass of full boat - 150kg (boat)+ 4*100kg (crew with equipment). I take it ArmA can't add masses together - maybe it's just a workaround for that.

I'm just a wannabe pilot and never flown anything in RL but I think the slingload should affect the heli a bit more when it swings. As it is the slingload can swing heavily left/right without any real feel on the heli while flying. Tested with a Quadbike as load in a MH-9 and new FM.

Hopefully some of you RL pilots will share your thoughts....

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

It sounds reasonable if you consider it to be a mass of full boat - 150kg (boat)+ 4*100kg (crew with equipment). I take it ArmA can't add masses together - maybe it's just a workaround for that.

That wouldn't make sense, since all other vehicles seem to have correct mass values compared to their (empty) real life counterparts.

That wouldn't make sense, since all other vehicles seem to have correct mass values compared to their (empty) real life counterparts.

Well, other vehicles don't have mass of the crew 3.5 times larger than own mass.

I agree it's strange and inconsistent - just hinting that there might be a mundane reason for it, like some quirks in behavior if the vehicle is too light. Needs to be fixed, indeed.

Edited by DarkWanderer

Would pulling bodies work with a ragdoll? What about if you could hang someone?

As of latest Dev build I seem completely unable to sling-load any thing while the Advanced Flight Model (AFM) is active. As soon as I disable AFM I am able to sling load cargo again.

On a funnier note, switching from basic to AFM while carrying a load tends to result in instant death via terrible explosions.

Hi, not sure if this has been mentioned before.. but how will we be lifting heavier objects such as MBTs across Altis? Will we have to edited the config of the Helicopters or will we be able to create a script to do it instead?

TIA

Champy_UK

Hi, not sure if this has been mentioned before.. but how will we be lifting heavier objects such as MBTs across Altis? Will we have to edited the config of the Helicopters or will we be able to create a script to do it instead?

TIA

Champy_UK

We already have "sling loading" on our server (for some time now). Although it's just a simple attach to script it works pretty well. With that being said, I will upgrade the mission to all of the new sling loading system brought by BIS. Have they (BIS) mentioned anything about allowing us mission devs to modify the sling loading parameters?

We already have "sling loading" on our server (for some time now). Although it's just a simple attach to script it works pretty well. With that being said, I will upgrade the mission to all of the new sling loading system brought by BIS. Have they (BIS) mentioned anything about allowing us mission devs to modify the sling loading parameters?

This is my issue too as we were hoping to do away with all addons and be able to have decent choppers to do the jobs. We currently use an addon as the Blufor choppers because they are woeful for a heavy lift, we were aiming to be addon free with this DLC but now it seems we will have to modify configs to uprate the weights and still have to use an addon??

Although not technically real life, we tend to heavy lift track vehicles across Altis because of the size. I cant see anyone wanting to drive a tank from the airbase to Kavala for a main target!!?! So what are BIS going to do? I would vote for a Low trailor for that cab that doesnt do alot. Or have some form of code overwrite to allow mission makers to by pass the config coded weight systems and invent your own specific ones instead. Otherwise this is going nowhere for anything over 5 tons... which is most of the vehicles in Arma 3. Nice touch with the logisitcs containers but movement of vehicles is logistics too.

Answers please BIS??

TIA Champy