aluc4rd

Sling Loading Feedback

Oh sorrry, yes. It affects more than just weight, as it will change your center of mass, very consistently.

do you have the advanced flight modell on ?? because i can feel the mass that pulls me around from sharps turns with the chopper.

I tried it with both, and it still has it's respective affects.

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

I'm very happy with the current state of the system already, waiting for a proper documentation.

I'm no so heavy with the auto-attaching though.

I'd prefer a system in which personel on the ground has to attach the freight but oh well, mass-compatibility, I guess :rolleyes:

I welcome both. I love the way it is now, but also, i would love if they added such a feature. I also second who ever's brilliant idea it was to make the throw-able rope, i can imagine having that as a throw-able item, climbing up a building, and then picking back up the rope.

It displaces 17 tons, that means the volume it has = 17 tons of water. It has no armor whatsoever, so how can it be +50% heavier then a Hunter MRAP? makes no sense. And this doesnt look like a 17+t trailer

Hard to really know because there's very little info out there on the topic at least so far as I can tell. I will say though that the only air platforms I've seen mentioned to specifically be capable of launching a Mark 8 are the Chinook and Stallion. Both of which can sling more than 17t. So... that doesn't really help :p

I would agree that the SDV in A3 shouldn't be nearly 17t, less than 15 if you ask me.

Really hard to know. It's not a dry sub so in theory it's weight should be much less dry, as it doesn't need extra weight to counteract the buoyancy of essentially a big air bladder. It's also made of aluminum so it should be relatively light weight.

I still expect it's heavier than you might think, but 17t is a bit much for a smaller version of the Mark 8.

I'm very happy with the current state of the system already, waiting for a proper documentation.

I'm no so heavy with the auto-attaching though.

I'd prefer a system in which personel on the ground has to attach the freight but oh well, mass-compatibility, I guess :rolleyes:

Agreed, I've been playing around and so far got a process to down to this:

- Pilot released short rope (5m) hover near ground

- Player on ground uses "Grab Rope" option which attaches it to his hand

- Player runs to object to be lifted and attaches rope

- Chopper flies off

It's working however now I have to try and make it dynamic so it happens to all valid choppers and lift-able objects. I'll do a vid tomorrow.

In regards to the feedback here you go:

Usability - Great basic system for gameplay. Would be amazing to implement more complex attachment features as explained above.

Difficulty - Nice and easy to lift - flight model effects are fairly well placed for the two difficulty levels.

Multiplayer - Nope all good so far.

Curious, a bit off topic... Can someone take an existing Arma 3 Fast Rope script, replace the straight dead unmovable rope with the new one, and have it work smoothly like it did in TOH?

Curious, a bit off topic... Can someone take an existing Arma 3 Fast Rope script, replace the straight dead unmovable rope with the new one, and have it work smoothly like it did in TOH?

I'm trying this currently as an extension of the top functionality. The hardest part is not having the documentation on all the commands and eventHandlers. If any of the devs could advise that would be awesome.

Concerning requiring player interaction, it needs to work in singleplayer too, so either the AI must be able to handle it, or it stays automatic.

In my opinion manual attaching would be to much. I like the current one.

@Alwarren - agreed so far this is in addition to the current system rather than a replacement.

@Danczer - yes for some people it would be hence the idea to enable it when the AFM is enabled.

On another note it would be nice to know the conversion rate between the physX mass and the liftable mass used in the configs. Is it simply Kg's and Tonne's?

Agreed, I've been playing around and so far got a process to down to this:

- Pilot released short rope (5m) hover near ground

- Player on ground uses "Grab Rope" option which attaches it to his hand

- Player runs to object to be lifted and attaches rope

- Chopper flies off

It's working however now I have to try and make it dynamic so it happens to all valid choppers and lift-able objects. I'll do a vid tomorrow.

Should be the other way around. The vehicle should be prepared with ropes and then all of them hooked to the aircraft at once. I wonder if its possible to have the four come to a point and then one line going to the aircraft, like in real life.

Hard to really know because there's very little info out there on the topic at least so far as I can tell. I will say though that the only air platforms I've seen mentioned to specifically be capable of launching a Mark 8 are the Chinook and Stallion. Both of which can sling more than 17t. So... that doesn't really help :p

I would agree that the SDV in A3 shouldn't be nearly 17t, less than 15 if you ask me.

Really hard to know. It's not a dry sub so in theory it's weight should be much less dry, as it doesn't need extra weight to counteract the buoyancy of essentially a big air bladder. It's also made of aluminum so it should be relatively light weight.

I still expect it's heavier than you might think, but 17t is a bit much for a smaller version of the Mark 8.

It displaces 17 tons, that means the volume it has = 17 tons of water. It has no armor whatsoever, so how can it be +50% heavier then a Hunter MRAP? makes no sense. And this doesnt look like a 17+t trailer

Thank you for the feedback.

@Fennek: Maybe you are right and you have a good point with the trailer. I would even be glad if it is realistic to lift our submarine with a medium class helicopter but as I said I have my doubts it would weigh less than a UGV with 5 tons.

There are some helicopters listed for transport of the real world SDV in the specs but heavier ones:

"In addition to surface ship and submarine, other platform Mk 8 SDV can be deployed from also includes CH-47 Chinook & CH-53E Super Stallion helicopters."

Here is a photo of a Chinook lifting a SDV:

http://www.kaiowas.co.uk/images/chinook.jpg

In GTA5 you can lift a Submarine that has the same size as the helicopter which is ridiculous if you think of the weight of that thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBcTPpajsiA

@MordeaniisChaos: As you said the exact dry weight of this craft is hard or maybe impossible to find for a non-pressurized wet submarine based on displacement - and our version is smaller than the Mk8 Mod1 and has a higher design water line.

I will be looking in this interesting master thesis on the design of a wet SDV:

Design and Analysis of a non-pressurized manned submersible:

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFMQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdspace.mit.edu%2Fbitstream%2Fhandle%2F1721.1%2F67796%2F767826253.pdf%3Fsequence%3D1&ei=S3QQVK_5M4LnaIutgvAL&usg=AFQjCNH04D-KGvr3nTAZjvKOWV41eg1ZhA

We will probably not be able to find a realistic weight for the SDV. What matters is we will have great fun with sling loads and towing things like boats and cars around which works quite well.

Some more interesting related links:

A conventional dry submarine is a very compact and heavy object if you compare the weight and size of these ship-classes with the same surface displacement (56m to 87m).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_212_submarine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gowind-class_corvette

Here is an interesting Overview of future special forces SDV´s and boats:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2013SOFIC/PEOMaritimePortfolioBriefWed.pdf

At the end of this Video is a RHIB sling loaded by a Chinook and the crew fast-ropes in:

Should be the other way around. The vehicle should be prepared with ropes and then all of them hooked to the aircraft at once. I wonder if its possible to have the four come to a point and then one line going to the aircraft, like in real life.

I know it should and I want to do it that way however for that I will need a rope inventory item and this was just a test to see if possible. If it turns out to be workable then yes I will switch it around so you load cargo first using a rope item from inventory.

Hi all,

It seems I have a troubleshooting with the "Sling Loading".

In fact, the Sling Loading assistant does not find any "vehicle" which could be lift. I tried with the Mohawk, the Ghost Hawk to lift Quad or Offroad...

Maybe the problem is I am not launching the development branch directly from the original game.

Indeed, I use the Game Updater (Arma 3 Tools) which install the development branch in a new file in SteamApps\Common.

I means I have a version of ArmA which the standard version and another one which is the dev one. So I don't have to download each time I want to go from the standard to the dev version. All of this process is made automatically through the Arma 3 tools game updater.

Maybe the problem is coming from this Game Updater, because a friend of mine, is also facing this problem.

Any clue ?

Regards,

Couple of Zeus related feedback regarding sling loading:

1. Unhooking the load as a remotely controlled pilot in the official ZGM missions (multiplayer) still crashes the game immeditately.

2. Dragging a unit on a helicopter to sling load it is nice, but can we still get a normal waypoint for AI pilots, that doesn't require Zeus intervention? (don't want to do immersion breaking Zeus magic in front of players all the time)

3. Dragging a unit onto a helicopter that is still on the ground causes the unit to be below the ground

not Zeus related:

4. AI pilots have no sense of how high they are flying with their load and will regularily hit trees etc. and crash...

A feature that would be great with the sling loading and the zeus module would be a support module similar to the CAS airstrike that when placed requests the user to select the transport helicopter and the sling load object - vehicle, ammo etc then fly in and drop off the object on the location the module was placed and fly away.

Hi all,

It seems I have a troubleshooting with the "Sling Loading".

In fact, the Sling Loading assistant does not find any "vehicle" which could be lift. I tried with the Mohawk, the Ghost Hawk to lift Quad or Offroad...

Maybe the problem is I am not launching the development branch directly from the original game.

Indeed, I use the Game Updater (Arma 3 Tools) which install the development branch in a new file in SteamApps\Common.

I means I have a version of ArmA which the standard version and another one which is the dev one. So I don't have to download each time I want to go from the standard to the dev version. All of this process is made automatically through the Arma 3 tools game updater.

Maybe the problem is coming from this Game Updater, because a friend of mine, is also facing this problem.

Any clue ?

Regards,

I was having a similar issue when trying to use the game updater. What I ended up doing was downloading the dev branch using my laptop, transferring it over to my desktop, renaming the folder to Arma 3 [development], and using the Arma3GU.exe to run the dev branch. More work than it should be, but it seems the game updater is somewhat broken (for me at least). I'm sure there's an easier way of doing it, but that's what I did.

I did the same thing today, I removed the brakes off the car and it worked fine but the rope acted more like elastic then rope but I hope that this will be fixed

I'm curious how you "removed the brakes", by config? My towing script (A2 ported to A3) suffered from the same problem, and I didn't manage to find a fix.

A feature that would be great with the sling loading and the zeus module would be a support module similar to the CAS airstrike that when placed requests the user to select the transport helicopter and the sling load object - vehicle, ammo etc then fly in and drop off the object on the location the module was placed and fly away.

Agree 100%

The new system deserve more supports.

In RL spec forces sometimes call for a HUMMWV, or pack of ammo to their position ( that is explained in the book: Lions of Kandahar )

Had a good roll wth a friend on the slingloading yesterday.

quite amuzing ^.^

firts we attached a Hatchbakc sport to a A-168 with a 100 meter cable and took of in the A-168. ths was very amuzing! though we manage to hit the A-168 with the sport on 300 altitude. sharp cornors with this is a no go xD

next we tried to attach a human to the A-168. my friend wassn't happy with that i can tell you that :P

after that we tried to lift a offroad with a UH-80 and while it was still on the ground. we used the settMass command to increse its weight over 5000. thaat was pretty funny. the effects it has if you manage to lift something over the max weight limit is quite interesting. you can't lift it att all but your chopper olmost get pulled back hovering is okay thoug!

after that we went and lift a Hatchback sport and attached multiple sports to the lifted one on diffrent lenghts.

and this was somethng i was most impressed by. as the UH-80 has a max lift of 4t and the sport weights 1090t we could lift the first. lift the second on 30 meters, lift the third on 40 meters and the rope broke once we where at the fourth one @ 60 meters(4th one was about 5 meters off the ground)

by doing this i started to cry because this is the first ever lift option i see in aal of ArmA that is so based on RealLife! just AWESOME

difficulty = perfect

usablety = perfect

Multiplayer = sometimes a bit withdesync but further perfect

In due time, i can almost bet that there will be a good amount of support for ropes.

<dream>Yay, rappeling, fastroping, assault climbing hooks</dream>

why can't a hummingbird lift a rubber rescue boat ?

is that thing not a lot of air and little weight as six men would easily lift it ?