aluc4rd

Sling Loading Feedback

I think it needs to be easier to attach to items when on the ground. Every sling lift I've seen (only a couple, to be fair) everything got attached to a grounded chopper, which then lifted off until it ran out of slack and then lifted the item. That SORT of works as it is currently, but the items have to be really close to the chopper to attach. Too close, in the case of an actual vehicle. Even if it has to be done by a crew member actually moving the ropes over to attach instead of automagically being done by the pilot, some sort of option for that would be really, really useful. Especially for those of us that hate hovering :3

Awesome system so far.

I have noticed that going too hard on the yaw will cause random explosions. Few other things seem to as well.

In my experience, I've never seen a helo sling load without being airborne first, and it was always hooked up by a ground crew. While I've seen it done dozens, if not hundreds of times, it was mostly while on ship so take that as you will. I'm certainly no aviation expert, but I would think that it would be preferred for the helo to be in the air before hooking up, if for nothing else than to ensure that there are no problems with the aircraft handling before putting the added weight on. Would be nice for it to work both ways in game though as I'm sure both methods have their merits.

My first impressions with the sling loading in game are pretty damn good so far:cool: Was gonna nag a little about the Mohawk and how I thought its weight limit should've been higher, but after doing a some homework on it I guess its close enough to real world limits, 5 tons if I read correctly, that it wouldn't make any difference as to what vehicles it can carry anyway:o So I guess my only complaint is that you can't sling multiple objects at once, which for the moment would only be useful for ammo crates and ATV's anyways. Also like how BIS added new waypoints for picking up and dropping cargo, nice little touch! especially since it works with the AI :)

Edited by Odie0351

It's not granted that the heli explodes too, I smashed an ATV into a hospital at some 200km/h, sure enough the ATV stopped right there and exploded as I flew into the sunset unharmed.

I tested it again via script and there is no issue.

I did the same thing today, I removed the brakes off the car and it worked fine but the rope acted more like elastic then rope but I hope that this will be fixed

I did the same thing today, I removed the brakes off the car and it worked fine but the rope acted more like elastic then rope but I hope that this will be fixed

How did you "remove the brakes" out of curiosity?

and yea one more thing that is bugging i am hoping not only me,put rope thickness of the rope

Ropes going true vehicle,and when u drop the load (cutting ropes) can we have that so when u drop load ropes are going with it not winching back in helo?

(i know it is still WIP thing) but just bringing this up :)

Edited by DevilDogCro

Nice job guys!! Physic seems to be excellent.! I hope the last performances trouble with MP will be fixed and few other bugs and we are good to go for few months of fun...

Ropes going true vehicle,and when u drop the load (cutting ropes) can we have that so when u drop load ropes are going with it not winching back in helo?

I think that's how they work in real life. Load can be released from the helicopter and the ropes are winched back.

Maybe in some kind of emergency the ropes might be cut from winch end though.

I think that's how they work in real life. Load can be released from the helicopter and the ropes are winched back.

Maybe in some kind of emergency the ropes might be cut from winch end though.

Sure it depends on either winch or is it just hooks (Like in video page back)

Everything is working pretty awesome so far, the only thing I would do is increase the amount of lean out of the cockpit. Im using track IR so its pretty easy for me, more so than using the sling loading assistant.

Thanks for posting some videos guys, my gaming time is severly limited ATM so it's appreciated. Slingload looks like a great addition, looking forward to test it.

/KC

:cry2: can't stop crying thats how happy I'm..... waited for this about.... to much time.

no more very bad looking pole's outa your chopper with a vehice underneath it or a vehicle floating in the air

SO HAPPY!

Tested yesterday with Advanced Flight model and it's so cool. I liked very much... but i think it should be a little more difficult to fly the heli with Cargo...

Usability - It will give an awesome new experience to the game if we will be able to cargo boxes of ammo and other stuff...

Difficulty - It's easy, maybe i'm used to the difficult of DCS flight models...

Multiplayer - Didn't try

Maybe with AFM finished will be more difficult, as it has to be... We will see... At the moment, keep working guys, your job it's awesome :).

Tested yesterday with Advanced Flight model and it's so cool. I liked very much... but i think it should be a little more difficult to fly the heli with Cargo...

Usability - It will give an awesome new experience to the game if we will be able to cargo boxes of ammo and other stuff...

Difficulty - It's easy, maybe i'm used to the difficult of DCS flight models...

Multiplayer - Didn't try

Maybe with AFM finished will be more difficult, as it has to be... We will see... At the moment, keep working guys, your job it's awesome :).

Difficulty: I am also used to the DCS sling loads but I am quite impressed by the work so far

Usability: What impressed me most is the easy way the AI uses it. It would be great if the approach to the waypoints would be faster though.

I have my doubts if a Ghosthawk would be able to lift the SDV - though I like it. Usually a submarine is a very heavy object compared to its size. The real SDV Mark 8 Mod 1 displaces 17 tons and the dry weight would not be much less. The SDV in Arma 3 carries only 4 instead of 6 people but would weigh probably much more than a UGV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Delivery_Vehicle

Here are the specifications:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.479085872113472.108634.381728241849236&type=3

Multiplayer: Not tested

This is a very good teaser for the upcoming DLC. Looking forward to roll-out.

Nice work! However, in Zeus GM the game crashes every time I unhook the load. Also, will there be a possibility to give a "Sling Load" waypoint to the AI as Zeus, so they try to lift the cargo automatically at some point?

For people flying in 1st person it would also be nice to have an indicator how far the cargo is from the ground in the Assisant window.

For people flying in 1st person it would also be nice to have an indicator how far the cargo is from the ground in the Assisant window.

From what i could tell the rope is 10m in length. So stay above 10m and you'll be fine. :D

Will the vehicle affect the helicopter other than weight in the future?

I mean when it swings around under you, your heli just stays perfectly still.

Tried Normal and Advanced flight model, no difference

Will the vehicle affect the helicopter other than weight in the future?

I mean when it swings around under you, your heli just stays perfectly still.

Tried Normal and Advanced flight model, no difference

Wrong. The weight has effects on the helicopter. Believe me i've tried a ton of things, and there is noticeable differences, depending on how heavy an object is.

Secret: i attached a Hunter to the Kajman via. script, and let me tell you, i was FIGHTING to stay in the sky. You can tell when something that heavy is swinging around below you... I didn't land safely. It took me down with it, in a fall, it hit the ground, i spun around fighting for control and violently smashed into the ground. Good fun.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

I have my doubts if a Ghosthawk would be able to lift the SDV - though I like it. Usually a submarine is a very heavy object compared to its size. The real SDV Mark 8 Mod 1 displaces 17 tons and the dry weight would not be much less.

It displaces 17 tons, that means the volume it has = 17 tons of water. It has no armor whatsoever, so how can it be +50% heavier then a Hunter MRAP? makes no sense. And this doesnt look like a 17+t trailer

Edited by Fennek

Wrong. The weight has effects on the helicopter. Believe me i've tried a ton of things, and there is noticeable differences, depending on how heavy an object is.

Secret: i attached a Hunter to the Kajman via. script, and let me tell you, i was FIGHTING to stay in the sky. You can tell when something that heavy is swinging around below you... I didn't land safely. It took mention a fall, it hit, i spun around fighting for control an violently smashed into the ground. Good fun.

So the load will oscillate and affect the helicopter?

Yes. It will pull, and tug you in the air depending on how violently you allow it to swing around. It does indeed affect your movements.

@DarkSideSixOfficial

read it again. "will it effect the heli OTHER than the weight".

Meaning, yes it affects the weight (you need more collective with object loaded), but that is it.

In ToH, when you had something loaded, and it was swinging around, your heli would follow it's direction a bit, because center of mass changes. (or something)

Here it affects the weight, nothing else. At least, I didn't experience it that way.

Edited by CAPTNCAPS

I'm very happy with the current state of the system already, waiting for a proper documentation.

I'm no so heavy with the auto-attaching though.

I'd prefer a system in which personel on the ground has to attach the freight but oh well, mass-compatibility, I guess :rolleyes: