aluc4rd

Sling Loading Feedback

Will this work for towing vehicles too, potentially? Armor vehicle recovery and stuff like that would be nice too have.

uh? i didn't understand in which manner?

edit hehehehe now i understand

Edited by Zukov

It's not granted that the heli explodes too, I smashed an ATV into a hospital at some 200km/h, sure enough the ATV stopped right there and exploded as I flew into the sunset unharmed.

now that is how you test a new feature :D

The targeted (closest) cargo is already circled:

http://i.imgur.com/NzP6zVw.jpg

i have yet to test how practical that HUD is but just as a first impulse i'd like to see the PiP tech used here instead, as in a camera pointing down. that would be way more immersive than this. and some people might call it unrealistic how it is now, watch out BI :868:

I see why this wasn't working, as the cars wheels do not move unless a player is in driver seat, but even then, turning the wheels is still an issue. This would work perfectly, if the wheels of the Offroad moved freely, but to enable that, and how it can bee executed, still unknown.

Added: Neophron, Buzzard, Greyhawk / Ababil, Speed Boat, Assault Boat, SDV, most of wheeled vehicles (except APCs), and various objects are Sling Loadable

Could we have a complet list of available vehicles ?

now that is how you test a new feature :D

i have yet to test how practical that HUD is but just as a first impulse i'd like to see the PiP tech used here instead, as in a camera pointing down. that would be way more immersive than this. and some people might call it unrealistic how it is now, watch out BI :868:

hehe I would rather see something like this

00:59

In game terms: Freely floating sling + players on the ground hooking it up

(simply pressing B when sling is above vehicle)

I see why this wasn't working, as the cars wheels do not move unless a player is in driver seat, but even then, turning the wheels is still an issue. This would work perfectly, if the wheels of the Offroad moved freely, but to enable that, and how it can bee executed, still unknown.

I assume they will need to introduce a function to disable auto-braking on a vehicle, I think that is the issue.

my first thought was how to transport a D30 from static pack

edit and the Hemmt without trailer? maybe the function is easy to modify......

I'd love to see those shipping containers in a sling (even if it's just the shorter ones!).

Guys, i don't get it. I can't even enable the Advanced flight model and the sling load doesn't works for me. I tried to search in configuration and i don't have anything about sling load. Rx2 doesn't work. B and Right CTRL + B neither...

You need any kind of Beta test code or something? or is open test for everyone?

script = ropeCreate [(Name of object),[0,0,0],(name of second Object),[0,0,0],20]

Without the brackets of course. I've been having a whirl at testing what can be done with the ropes. Currently, the man class looks overly glitchy when connected to the rope.

You need any kind of Beta test code or something? or is open test for everyone?
it's open to everyone. Open your steam, right-click on arma3, go to properties, click on the beta tab and then on the drop down menu and select development - development build. Launch arma3 to start downloading it then launch it again to play.
hehe I would rather see something like this

00:59

In game terms: Freely floating sling + players on the ground hooking it up

(simply pressing B when sling is above vehicle)

Oh god yes PLEASE. So much this.

@Varanon

How much those UGV's weights?

the UGV is based off the Crusher UGV, which weights 5.9 tons

This command would be much appreciated - as an players addaction of course :)

ropeCreate[player, [0,0,0], CursorTarget, [0,0,0]]

All rope-to-people would give so much possibilities.... nice and less nice ones :rolleyes:

I like how easy it is to add sling loading: Just add a memory point, and name that point in the config and the capacity.

Of course, I couldn't resist: Chinook with sling loaded UGV

Could you post the name of the point and the bits of config?

Could you post the name of the point and the bits of config?

You need to add this to the config ("root class"):

slingLoadMaxCargoMass = 13000; // Maximum mass in kg

slingLoadMemoryPoint = "slingLoad0"; // Name of the memory point

That's basically it. Every crew station can operate the winch, so to prevent that, you can add

slingLoadOperator = 0;

to the turret that shouldn't be able to use the winch.

The default helis also add a hit point:

class HitWinch {
  armor = 0.1;
  material = 51;
  name = "slingLoad0";
  visual = "";
  passThrough = 0;
  radius = 0.1;
};

Edited by Varanon

Nice one mate

I'm assuming the memory point "slingLoad0" placed directly on the helos belly to indicate where the ropes should spawn from, correct?

Nice one mate

I'm assuming the memory point "slingLoad0" placed directly on the helos belly to indicate where the ropes should spawn from, correct?

Yes, correct.

In addition, there is an array of cargo memory points defined for those vehicles that can be sling loaded (from the Hunter config):

slingLoadCargoMemoryPoints[] = {"SlingLoadCargo1", "SlingLoadCargo2", "SlingLoadCargo3", "SlingLoadCargo4"};

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/536248928008076960/E021F3F7527E46212174D20A5822605DBD449537/ Wasn't expecting to be able to do that, but cool i guess!

Also, i might have missed it, but has there been any talk/thoughts on loading more than 1 item? Plenty of pictures around of helicopters sling loading more than 1 crate or cargo net.

If not, being able to "bundle them up" and transport them as 1 would probably be asking for too much, right?

Edited by Chompster

Fix that.

And add rain. And mud!

And animated recovery vehicles.

Just finished testing Splendid work on the Sling rope :)

I do need to say that i would like to see attaching to from the player on the ground,mybe if sling load is near that he gets a option to attach it but other than that LOVE IT! :) Gonna be fun to fly and deliver now THANK YOU BIS

I think it needs to be easier to attach to items when on the ground. Every sling lift I've seen (only a couple, to be fair) everything got attached to a grounded chopper, which then lifted off until it ran out of slack and then lifted the item. That SORT of works as it is currently, but the items have to be really close to the chopper to attach. Too close, in the case of an actual vehicle. Even if it has to be done by a crew member actually moving the ropes over to attach instead of automagically being done by the pilot, some sort of option for that would be really, really useful. Especially for those of us that hate hovering :3

Awesome system so far.

I have noticed that going too hard on the yaw will cause random explosions. Few other things seem to as well.

I think it needs to be easier to attach to items when on the ground. Every sling lift I've seen (only a couple, to be fair) everything got attached to a grounded chopper, which then lifted off until it ran out of slack and then lifted the item. That SORT of works as it is currently, but the items have to be really close to the chopper to attach. Too close, in the case of an actual vehicle. Even if it has to be done by a crew member actually moving the ropes over to attach instead of automagically being done by the pilot, some sort of option for that would be really, really useful. Especially for those of us that hate hovering :3

I don't have actual stats to back this up. But a quick youtube search for "sling load" shows that most lifts occur with crew attaching the hooks to a hovering helicopter. So going with this idea, as many have suggested, it would be awesome to have the ability to attach the sling from outside.

I don't have actual stats to back this up. But a quick youtube search for "sling load" shows that most lifts occur with crew attaching the hooks to a hovering helicopter. So going with this idea, as many have suggested, it would be awesome to have the ability to attach the sling from outside.

It's possible that it's more for specific types of loads, I think the few times I saw anything it was artillery pieces being lifted. I have no idea.

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Wanted to see how shooting from a lifted vic would work. Pretty well, as it turns out!