aluc4rd

Sling Loading Feedback

Hello!

We finally deployed sling loading to the development branch and as usual we'd love to hear your feedback. But first some overview. Sling loading is by default available to all current helicopters except of AH-99 Blackfoot and Mi-48 Kajman.

In Helicopter Movement section of Controls you can find two new actions related to sling loading: Rope Interaction (default keybind is B) and Sling Load Assistant (default keybind is Right Ctrl+B). Multiple objects (for example Supply Boxes, Quadbike, Rubber boats etc.) are configured for sling loading so you can just place them in editor and you are good to go.

In future we will add comprehensive learning missions, at this moment you can just discover secrets of this new functionailty by yourself. Also as was mentioned in changelog, we added new scripting commands for sling loading so you can have fun with them too.

Please be so kind and share with us your experience! We're specifically looking for feedback on these these topics:

Usability - is sling loading understandable enough?

Difficulty - is lifting cargo too hard or easy?

Multiplayer - do you have any issues with sling loading in multiplayer?

But we are grateful for all for your valuable, constructive and civil feedback.

Nice work guys! It looks really smooth and it's not that hard to use. However, is it possible to carry supply crates? :D

My first impressions is that is quite an awesome feature and seems to work nicely ( although at this moment limited, because the helicopters available aren't precisely Hulk Hogan ).

Although my only issue is that as the rope only appears when the cargo it's hooked, sometimes it's difficult to know if I used the proper key or if the cargo it's too heavy. Some community scripts allow you to descend the hook and it automatically attaches to the closest object.

That it's more exaggerated with the new fly system, as you have to keep a perfect hover and push the button, while in the community scripts you can first descend the hook and then focus on hovering.

Nice work guys! It looks really smooth and it's not that hard to use. However, is it possible to carry supply crates? :D

It is, I "walked" one around Stratis ( also an offroad ).

Looks really nice, you can even carry multiple loads I wasn't expecting that.

@MistyRonin: The ropes do appear right away, it's just they don't hang freely before you actually hover over the cargo, when you do, they descend to the ground.

Nevermind that, I misunderstood.

edit: Oh yeah, nice work Bohemia, I only had a quick test with the ropes but so far so good, have to test this more indepth at a later time, keep it up! :ok:

Edited by CaptainObvious

Can somebody walk me through procedure to do one men hooking?

I created ghosthawk, empty quadbike and pressed right CTR and B.

I hoovered over it and mashed B but nothing happend.I didn't observed

hook up in action menu either.How to do it?

Many thanks for this! Great work!

@enex

Check your Helicopter controls for Sling load..

It's because the Sling load is default on 2xR.

I don't know why but I had it like that.

Then the configuration of helicopter and sling load wasn't right.

Just use the Hellcat and load a Offroad. That will work.

Press double RR when you are near the target. Then the rope will deploy, and you can see how the progress is in % on the CTR+B monitor.

It's worth noting that I was using advanced FM.

Will give it a try!

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Okay it works with Hellcat!

Usability - is sling loading understandable enough?

Well first in my opinion it would make sense to have ropes as object in

inventory of helicopter indicating you have the rope in first place (first time trying

I was actually searching for rope) (that would offer ability to have different length

of ropes and also emphasizing lenght of rope without GUI)

Second if rope could hang freely accessible with action menu (drop rope for example)

it would be more intuitive then auto deploying rope when hoovering in correct

height/place.

Difficulty - is lifting cargo too hard or easy?

Some more testing with flying the loads is necessary but as long as they have effect on

helicopter it's okay with me.

Multiplayer - do you have any issues with sling loading in multiplayer?

Not yet tested.

Bring up ACE, hopefully it was discussed in BI circle opportunity to have slings hanging freely

so personnel bellow have to hook it manually.

Edited by enex

Hm, M-ATV weighs more than 12 tons according to wikipedia. The selection of vehicles in A3 narrows the possibilities too much.

Maybe the DLC will contain Osprey with that overpriced little jeep.

I also just managed to tow a gokart behind a truck, there were a few issues but I'm sure some bright spark may be able to make a real tow script now.

I noticed that the UGVs can't be slingloaded, which is a shame, really, as this would open up a lot of possibilities for mission design and gameplay.

So, I would suggest raising the weight limits for the large helicopters (Ghost Hawk, Mohawk) so they can load a UGV.

I noticed that the UGVs can't be slingloaded, which is a shame, really, as this would open up a lot of possibilities for mission design and gameplay.

So, I would suggest raising the weight limits for the large helicopters (Ghost Hawk, Mohawk) so they can load a UGV.

I think the point is to wait until we have heavy helos, be the ones from the DLC or a mod. It wouldn't make much sense to me to fake helicopter's max. weight.

myObject setMass [10,0.5];// equal lighter object

I think the point is to wait until we have heavy helos, be the ones from the DLC or a mod. It wouldn't make much sense to me to fake helicopter's max. weight.

It depends on how much the UGV actually weighs... I mean, if it's 5t, then I can live with that. The UH-60 can sling-load 9000 lb, that's 4.1 t... With it being "teh future", we can simply say the UH-80 can sling load 5t. Problem solved. UInless, of course, the UGV weighs more than 5t, but I have my doubts about that

It depends on how much the UGV actually weighs... I mean, if it's 5t, then I can live with that. The UH-60 can sling-load 9000 lb, that's 4.1 t... With it being "teh future", we can simply say the UH-80 can sling load 5t. Problem solved. UInless, of course, the UGV weighs more than 5t, but I have my doubts about that

As i know the Crusher UGV which is almost like the arma 3 UGV - weights 6t-7t , so thats probably why you cant lift it by GhostHawk

Wait for NATO's Heavy Transport heli which might be in near future - maybe futuristic Chinook or something like that heh

Edited by RobertHammer

Reiteration - Ok, love it. You don't necessarily need the Assistant, but if you know what each heli is capabale of lifting, you can just fly over and lift. It's amazing. Love it. The Flexibility is amazing.

EDIT: Love it. Loving it alot though, great work BIS! Can't wait for the new heli's.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

As i know the Crusher UGV which is almost like the arma 3 UGV - weights 6t-7t , so thats probably why you cant lift it by GhostHawk

Wait for NATO's Heavy Transport heli which might be in near future - maybe futuristic Chinook or something like that heh

Yeah, just found the flyer for the Crusher, 13200 lb (5.9t)

The Aw101 (which the Mowhawk is based on) can sling load 4.5t...

so meh, no UGV. Let's hope there'll be a chopper in the Helo DLC that can do it.

As of right now i can see that the rope is very... set up intensive. In other words, you are required to have an object, set to be loaded in order to sling that object. What i'm wondering, is if you BI, you can make it more interactive friendly, for instance, pressing "B" drops the rope, and hovering near anything within the weight limit gives an option to sling that object. Also, to where the Sling Load Assistant can see what ever is in the weight limit of that object. This would look a ton smoother. Just my thoughts.

On sling load assistant screen you should see only cargo which can your helicopter lift - it's marked with white squares. Too heavy cargo isn't shown at all.