lato1982

[SP Campaign] Hunter Six: Special Operations Unit

Painter, I'm glad you noticed the references :) also Thank You for the book recommendation, I've read a lot of military themed books, but I think somehow I missed that one!

Hunter Six didn't win the Make Arma Not War Contest, but it was a really great experience for me and I've received a lot of great feedback from you guys. I would like to thank everyone for the support and all the kind words. I feel really happy you had some good time playing Hunter Six, after all this was the main purpose of this mod :)

Regardless to the competition result, I found out that you really liked some out of the box ideas and a different ARMA 3 gameplay approach. I'm really happy that so many Arma users feel the same way, that scripted story telling is not the only way to tell the story, there are some narrative tools that let you make your own plot, to make you care about your companions, to make you feel like really being inside the world you're playing. That was the main purpose of Hunter Six experiment and with all the support you have showed, that this can be fun too :)

At this point I would also like to congratulate all MANW winners, especially my fellow county man Rydygier for Pilgrimage, with another innovative gameplay approach!

I received many questions about a paypal account for free donations, so if you really feel you want to donate the project, you can do that with: PayPal Donation

Thanks again and I hope to show you some more out of the box stuff in future!

Best Regards,

Lato

Edited by Lato1982

I'm really happy that so many Arma users feel the same way, that scripted story telling is not the only way to tell the story, there are some narrative tools that let you make your own plot, to make you care about your companions, to make you feel like really being inside the world you're playing. That was the main purpose of Hunter Six experiment and with all the support you have showed, that this can be fun too

That's the spirit. Arma got so fantastic content like Kydoimos' Resist, IndeedPete's Mercs and other projects of this kind, I sadly didn't managed to try so far, but I do believe Arma's real power is still not awaken yet. IMO procedural projects like SaOk's WLA are aiming to awake Arma's true greatness. Thus I attempted to do it my way with Pilgrimage. But, if we do achieve full glory of procedural gameplay, there's no reason at all to not combine it with an immersive story which, fully agree, means characters of flesh and blood and non-cliche plot. Thus I do believe, Arma need very much people like you. I seriously hope, you'll bring to us something even more amazing in the future, even if that means "kicking my ass" in the hypothetical next contest. :) Great job man so far, push further.

Does anyone have an idea, why commands like:

unitName addGoggles "G_Balaclava_oli";
unitName addGoggles 'G_Shades_Black';

stopped working after last update? All operators that were wearing shades or balaclavas are now spawning without it, any clues how to fix it?

EDIT: FIXED!

Apparently the commands itself work fine, it had something to do with the script execution order.

Edited by Lato1982

Can you please update the Armaholic version to the latest one? (the one they have there is from last October). Or make a dropbox or any other non-worksho download location? Every time the mission is updated, Steam updates it automatically on our PCs, and then Arma deletes all our progress. I remember when I started playing Pilgrimage like a year ago, I was young and naive then and got it from the Workshop. Ryd is/was working so much on his mission that I could never finish a single playthrough between two updates :). I stopped using the WS since.

Hi,

Got it from the WS atm, couldn't wait, crossing my fingers so you don't update anything anytime soon ;).

I am having a lot of fun, thanks for all the hard work. No boring cutscenes, no clichéd blah-blah, just go out and do your thing. Awesome. Everything makes sense, well, besides "Their main goal was to separate Greece from the European Union, the main source of their problems", which is exactly the other way around ;).

I can't figure out the point of having a high reputation. The docs say that I will lose civilians if it gets too low. How low is too low? Is zero OK? I do not think that there is much point in performing "light" or even medium interrogations, each two hours give me the same intel that I get for killing 1-3 rebels, and it takes much less than two hours to do that. Besides, if losing civilians means in game terms that I will have more rebels to kill and loot for better intel, then by all means, please hate me :).

I haven't encountered any problems, I only have a few "quality of life" remarks.

When I go to sleep, how about you make my teammates go to sleep as well, instead of having them valiantly stand guard in the middle of our FOB? I only figured that they didn't sleep on day 3, when I noticed the Fatigue column in the Team Roster window and that I had 0 there and they had 20+. Dismissing them then re-recruiting them is extra work, and they lose part of their loadout as well, which is a separate issue.

If you ask them to rest, part of their loadout will disappear. Things like silencers stay on them. But I equipped one with a rocket launcher and he lost it next morning, together with the backpack and the ammo it contained. So I have to hide my stuff somewhere, take his launcher and ammo for safekeeping, then the next morning do this in reverse, then come back to the base or reload because I have forgotten my own stashed stuff, etc. Which brings me to the next issue.

Any way to implement a team switch feature? You switch to a guy and grab from the ground or a trunk exactly what you want, without fighting against Arma3's interface. Say I kill an AT guy and want to arm my guy with his equipment. I switch to the guy and equip him in 15 seconds. Without team switch it's a bit of a PITA.

I wish corpses waited like 5 seconds before disappearing. I managed to almost run out of ammo with my trigger-happy machinegunner, it'd be nice to habe the optino to rearm in the field. On corpses, and maybe caches as well, before securing them.

Also, we should be able to put stuff back into the crates when rearming at the FOB, but they are full. For instance, I want to change my guys' ammo to tracers, including what they have by default. I can't just swap what they have with the ammo box, I have to throw stuff onto the ground, and if the quartermeister sees us doing this we're dead.

Anyway, awesome work.

yeah, updating armaholic version would be nice. steam ruined me on more than one occasion so i prefer armaholic. thanks

Finished a playthrough, had a lot of fun. I could have ended it about 3 days earlier though. I killed the rebel leader, freed 1 hostage, finished all the tasks (but the priest assassination, I'm not rolling around every church in the area, it's better left for another mission with a non-numeric type of intel :) ), but did not get any new tasks from around 1500 intel to 2500. And then by accidentally zooming out on the map too much, I found the location of the second hostage, completely on the other side of the island :). Nice touch with the final debrief too.

I don't know if you will be updating this mission any more. In any case, a few remarks.

I've had a "Rebel Patrols" task that I couldn't finish. I believe it was because one day I was driving not too far from its red zone with an almost out of ammo Hunter, and decided to empty it on a rebel team in the distance, that may have been inside the circle. I got all of them but one, and left it for when I come back after rearming. I got into the zone and killed a bunch of rebels but the task did not end. Only a couple of days later, when doing another mission on the other side of the zone, I kill a lonely rebel 1.5 km away and that old "Rebel Patrols" task suddenly ends. So apparently he ran away very far.

So suggestion: maybe there is a sense in changing the en mission trigger from 'kill everyone' to 'no more rebels in the mission area'? At one point I started thinking that the second hostage location will only be revealed if I finish all the tasks, and my inability to find the last guy to kill got me rather frustrated.

Resting:

The "Rest till next day" feature is rather frustrating too. Say I finish a mission and come back to the FOB to sleep at 00:15. I can't dismiss my guys so they can rest because this would essentially give them a holiday for the whole day, while we have our people being held hostage. I understand I can choose other teammates, but I am fond of the ones I started with. A better alternative would be "Rest till the end of the next Rest action" or something. Or just have them sleep while I am sleeping, without making me dismiss them at night to re-recruit them in the morning.

Air transport:

I think an extra air transport option would be nice. By the end I was trying to move around using air transport, emergency and all that, and it may be fun to make a whole playthrough only using air transport. But the current options with RTB in the end are not very useful. A "Drop off at location and wait there" would be nice, and/or "Go to location, land and wait". I suppose that if high command really wants to find the hostages fast, they can afford to dedicate a chopper for the occasion.

AA:

During the mission I got three tasks to secure AA sites. Two with HMGs inside the red no-fly zone, and a armored AA vehicle outside. I got rid of them all, then played for about 1K more intel without any seeing new tasks, so I presume that I got all of them. Questions:

1. Is it normal that the most dangerous ZUS AA thingy is outside the red circle? Shouldn't the red no-fly zone red circle be centered around this AA vehicle? Or does it depict bad intel as to the enemy AA locations?

2. Should the red circle disappear once all the AA tasks are done or is it also a bad intel issue?

Ok I have an amazing story I have to share:

So, I'm driving toward a house to clear when I decide to go off-road for the first time. I have been playing for a few hours at this point but only let the AI drive off-road when its absolutely necessary due to their habit of getting stuck so often. So, this is the absolute first time I have driven off-road. After clearing the empty house I decide to cut across the hills in my MRAP because it will be quicker than driving back to the road. I order the other AI vehicle driver to move to where im going but stay on the road. When cutting across the landscape I spot some smoke in the middle of nowhere. Looking through the GMG optics I realize that its the priest I have been given the choice to take out.

What are the odds? The first time I drive not on the roads I run into this target completely by chance in the middle of nowhere. I have to go for it. I order my sniper (who is in the other vehicle) to disembark and link up with us to take him out from distance. While waiting for my sniper to arrive a patrol comes out of the woods behind me. Thinking these civilians wont hear it, because I am a good couple hundred meters away, I light em up with the GMG. Regretfully, I then see the civs scampering away through the field.

In my anger, I linger around firing off shots for a few minutes knowing I have ruined my chance to take him out. I then order my sniper to get back in the vehicle that is over 800 meters away (!!) and I hop back into my vehicle and start driving fast in the direction I was originally going. After passing the other vehicle, now about 1 klick away from the chapel the priest was at when I scared him off, I furiously continue driving at dangerously high speeds when to my amazement....a man darts out of a bush directly into my path.

As fast as I was going, and considering this madman came out of nowhere and ran directly into the road in front of my speeding MRAP, the collision was inevitable. And what do you know....*bleep* "TASK COMPLETED, ELIMINATE THE PRIEST". It was him!! I sit there in stunned silence.....contemplating how this came to be. You have to realize how unlikely these events really were: I just happen to stumble upon him the first time I am not on the roadways, scare him off before taking him out, stand around for a few mins before hopping in the vehicle and speeding away, and over 1 klick away he just happens to jump in front of my vehicle. The way he came out of nowhere and ran into the road at precisely the perfect time to make his demise unavoidable was insane.

yeah, updating armaholic version would be nice. steam ruined me on more than one occasion so i prefer armaholic. thanks

Hi there, armaholic link contains now the latest version (04-12-2015)

Regards, Big.

Thanks Big:ok:

EDIT:

i dunno what's wrong with the file on armaholic...it doesn't look like a .pbo file i cant start it.

Edited by mason05

EDIT:

i dunno what's wrong with the file on armaholic...it doesn't look like a .pbo file i cant start it.

It is simply missing the .pbo extention at the end... happened with previous versions too, don´t know why the author forgot (is he on Linux or such?)

Just add .pbo to the end and fire it up!

cheers!

EDIT:

Should be fixed now.

Awesome work!!

Very fun mission, besides everything works fine and not one problem in all game,

Thanks and keep up the good work.

How do you done allow to choice comrades at the mission start? Please, help me. I'm too curious

What I´ve got while play this was that the red circles are "guerrilla held territory/danger zones" so whenever you exterminate a insurgent patrol those circles should diminish, but the CIA agents and the rebel leader isn´t (or could be, it´s random) inside those circles, but killing insurgent and interrogating civies on that area grant you intel points to -after 3 thousand or more - you can have reliable sources on those target locations!

And you have lotsa weapons cache to clear, each one give´s you a lot of intel points to help you out in the future tasks...

cheers!

Hey there Lato,

Amazing mission, definitely my favorite SP mission, so much replayability!

I sent you a PM regarding a Fallujah adaptation of Hunter Six I've been working on, hopefully I hear back from you soon!

• Like 1

Truly awsome mission! Is there a way to take command of the mortars near the north eastern FOB (don't remember it's name...)? I took them by killing the (friendly) soldiers near them but I felt bad about it :)

Are there any random enemy AI troops in this mission? And if so, do they ever spawn in or near towns?

I'm enjoying this mission enormously but I don't seem to ever get in any enemy engagements outside the task areas. I'm starting to feel safe (a little too much so?) especially just going out and talking to the civilians.

Do enemies only spawn (or perhaps they're scripted?) near objectives or could an attack happen at any moment?

I haven't made my way too deep into the red zone yet, so perhaps that changes. I've largely just been traveling around the outskirts (within the AO area) talking to people trying to build my stats. Just curious if anyone knows. It tends to be more fun for me to know I could be in danger at any second, even when things seem peaceful, but I'm beginning to wonder if I actually have anything to worry about unless I'm near a mission point.

I have not seen much enemy activity while simply gathering intel with the interrogations. So that is without much action other than travel.

Once you take on tasks based on the intel you get there will usually be enemy around. But rarely en route, first when you get near the objective, has been my experience.

• Like 1

I just had a go at this mission. I had a full set of team members, including some pilots that joined since our heli crashed on takeoff, after having dropped us off. So much for not selecting a proper drop point.

I had built up a good set of intel and got rid of a rebel patrol which my intel had revealed. Exhausted, heading back to base to rest in the Goliath at 1am , we get a Mayday and I turn the transport heli around to secure a crash site. Once there, we find the wreck and two (more!) pilots in a hot crash site with enemy swarming in on it, but then all hell breaks loose, seems the heli explodes and and wipes out me and my team. But I was apparently taken out by some guy with a Katiba. The heli explosion was most likely some guy with a UGL, I guess.

All in all a well spent set of hours - and I got a good save before we got wiped out, to pick up tomorrow :-)

• Like 1

What is this??? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=496142363&searchtext=Hunter+six

Is this a fan made fix for the rearm bug???? It has no comments and no discription aside from "Additions: Arsenal Crates."

If it is what I suspect it is, it is a MUST download as the rearm bug is killing me. Arsenal crates would fix that I think.

Anyone brave enough to DL this mystery workshop file?

EDIT: It would appear to be Hunter Six's map with an Arsenal box located in the center of HQ. I'm new to the series so I haven't figured out how to lunch missions on custom maps but it would appear to me (I could be wrong) that my suspicion as to what this is is correct. Now how to launch Hunter Six on this "map" I have no clue.

@HeroesandvillainsOS: Please, what rearm bug is that - I may not have come across it?

Edit: Just read through the thread and it seems that the bug appears after a while. I am only 3 days in, so maybe it is not a problem yet. Btw gonna look into that mod that was linked to which makes loadouts easy to set up

Cheers,

OP

@HeroesandvillainsOS: Please, what rearm bug is that - I may not have come across it?

Edit: Just read through the thread and it seems that the bug appears after a while. I am only 3 days in, so maybe it is not a problem yet. Btw gonna look into that mod that was linked to which makes loadouts easy to set up

Cheers,

OP

How would you do that? Could you tell me step by step how to run Hunter Six on this map? Sorry to be a pest. I've never run a mission on a custom map before so I have no idea how to do it.

Yeah, it happens after a few days. Basically, there's a workaround where you can drag the items to the ground and then rearm your troops from there. The problem is, dragging gear to the ground is highly unreliable. I sometimes have to drag and drop 10-20 times for each item to get it to work. This is very time consuming if you're rearming 4 guys.

If this map helps alleviate that (not sure if it will. It's an empty Arsenal box I think), I'd really like to use it.