Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Survey/Poll: IceBreakr's maps - what would you like to see first in A3?

500 votes reached. Thank you guys, voting is now closed.

Results:

Keystone (Pennsylvania rural map, brand new)

33.67% 167

–

IBIS World (4 Arma2 islands combined on a huge sea map)

27.02% 134

–

Lingor

23.99% 119

–

Isla Duala

20.97% 104

–

Isla Balkania (ex A2 project Massacra that got delayed due to A3 release date, 16x16km, a lot of research, real data)

20.77% 103

–

Rowalla (Sierra Leone map, brand new)

18.95% 94

–

Tonal (Remake of OFP classic, with permissions from original author)

13.31% 66

–

Panthera

10.69% 53

–

Jade Groove (updated, much larger and detailed than A2 one!)

5.44% 27

–

Fapovo (A2)

2.22% 11

Out of curiosity which would be the islands that are combined in the super map IBIS World? Or is that still undecided.

IBIS World (4 Arma2 islands combined on a huge sea map) wow this is second place :(...sounds totally boring ,a new island balkan or tonal style that would be nice

Isn't AIA and CUP projects already (greatly) taking care of A2 islands without having to redo everything just so we can have a bigger (laggier) map ?

Also I feel sad for Panthera but everything you'll make will be awesome anyway :)

Assuming you make Keystone, how large do you plan on making it?

You make really big maps usually, imagine if we had a huge 'murica map :o

also lol @ "will it go in order".... you really think he is going to make all those maps :butbut: If he does that would be cool, but... not sure how realistic that is.

Just 13% Voted for the legendary map Tonal??? What crazy mad mirracle is here working?!? O.O :eek::eek::eek:

Just 13% Voted for the legendary map Tonal??? What crazy mad mirracle is here working?!? O.O :eek::eek::eek:

I think the "new" guys dont even know what the Tonal is and how awesome it was in OFP

also doing the IBIS World wont be worth to do , since we already have AiA TP which you can play any BIS map you want , also not to mention file size of that map with all a2/oa objects and possible AI issues

thats my opinion tho

Edited by RobertHammer

I think the "new" guys dont even know what the Tonal is and how awesome it was in OFP

also doing the IBIS World wont be worth to do , since we already have AiA TP which you can play any BIS map you want , also not to mention file size of that map with all a2/oa objects and possible AI issues

thats my opinion tho

Yeah, that could be a reason. All A2 maps on one map.... How will this go? I mean tscherno and takistani is no island, you have to cut off landscape to get that running Oo

I would prefer to have stratis on the altis map :D

BTW Here is another intresting island waiting since A2 to get done:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?111424-Skarikiska-Island-from-OFP-Sunken-Dragon

The Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising Island, Kiska. This Map is pretty awesome! I belive i have somewhere the core files on my harddisk if needed...

I tend to agree.

New or remake of this infamous Tonal.

Tonal is still the BEST island ever created in the community, if you'd recreate it, it will be just awesome.

Tonal is still the BEST island ever created in the community, if you'd recreate it, it will be just awesome.

Indeed it would be :)

Huge call there Variable, but I trust you.

Although, could it be that you see the map with rose coloured glasses? Imagine it's better than it was.

But a remake with modern textures and objects would be cool.

Huge call there Variable, but I trust you.

Although, could it be that you see the map with rose coloured glasses? Imagine it's better than it was.

But a remake with modern textures and objects would be cool.

By numbers, missions that took place on Tonal take a very high and unproportional percentage among the missions I remember from the OFP times. This map offered so many different gameplay opportunities and that shouldn't change. With Arma 3's lighting and graphics I'm sure it will be staggering.

Whatever you go for, there really needs to be new buildings and objects, not just reuses of the Altis/Arma2 buildings.

So many maps in the past suffer in this respect, really the main reason I never got into Ices maps. No offence Ice, I know how much work you put into them.

I realize the difficulties this entails, and certain compromises need to be made here and there, but with all the new mod tools, working colab with a building designer would be a really good way forward to give the maps a unique edge.

In the case of a Tonal remake; unique mud huts, shanty buildings, apartment blocks, warehouses etc.

IBIS is fully possible and should not be a problem with AI and such, just would take hellalong for it to load AlivE and maybe editor, I dont think there would be any AI problems that didnt exist in the maps pre A3

Teeha I hear you man. I'm getting sick of Altis already ;)

Same here. I think one day we'll have some warmhearted thoughts back to Altis, like now maybe about Chernarus, or Sarahni... But I also have played enough on it. I wish for some more rich and green stuff, even though its always hard for FPS. E.g. I love the greenness of Bystrica and sometimes prefer it over Chernarus.

As for Keystone, are there teasers? Also for Balkania?

I don't know Pennsylvania, what can we expect? They have dense forests, rivers and hills, right?

Icebreakr back on (A3) stage. Great!

Edited by tortuosit

Pennsylvania is mostly a mix of forested area (which in amercia is really generic) and most crops are probably corn like everywhere else in amercia.

So it's mostly suburbs, rural areas or smaller town but not urban areas, kind of like New England type town stuff..

I live in PA I could go for a drive and take some pics. The Central and Western half of the state would look something like Chernarus. Very green very wooded, steep hillsn and mountains with open fields for crops in the valleys. (Went to Penn State and State College is a nice sized town in the middle of no where.) Hills and trees and some open farm fields in the valleys. But most of that portion of the state is fairly dense forests. (Good luck driving any sort of armor through Central and Western PA.)

The South Eastern half of the state (where i live) is far more urban than you would think. Lots of towns with open fields and wooded areas in between. (Most fields are no more than a couple hundred meters long. You would be hard pressed to drive more than a mile or 2 and not find a house. Lancaster County is the one most people see in TV and everything its open rolling fields with very little tree cover except on the tops of the taller hills. Its spotted with tons of Amish and Mennonite farms, and towns. (Yes those funny town names everyone hears about. Intercourse, Blue Ball, Bird in Hand, Paradise, etc. :rolleyes:) The North Eastern part of the state is like the Central and Western portions.

But generally the trees in PA you will find aren't taller than 40-50ft. 12-15 meters and fairly densely packed. Most trees are actually probably about 30ft tall. 10 meters. The woods are full of underbrush and very rocky in the central and western portions of the state. Farm fields are smaller than those you would find in Chernarus, at most maybe 25-100 meters wide. (Except in Lancaster county and western Chester county/Maryland border area.) South Eastern part of the state (outside of Philadelphia and Reading) would be fairly populated with a lot of smaller towns with woods in between. Most towns are no more than 5-6 miles apart. Suburbia is a good way to describe it. Lots of multi-house developments the closer you get to Philly(Built in former fields.) Corn would be the most common crop you would see growing in fields with wheat and hay in others as well as a few fallow fields with maybe some clover or alfalfa growing. (Soy beans are also fairly common.) Lots of single story homes generally outside of the towns with more double story homes inside towns and in housing developments. Farms would have multiple barns 3-4 sometimes. Lots of dairy farms around where i live and horse farms. Lots of silos for storing corn and grain for livestock. Its fairly generic but closer you get to Philadelphia the more urban it becomes and it does so quickly. I would say it would look like you smashed all of hte smaller towns in chenarus together and continued that pattern until you hit West Chester and then it would be the suburbs.

We have a few rivers they aren't more than 10 meters wide, if that. Unless your in mid PA where the Susquehanna is then it's probably about 500-1km(maybe more) wide. Lots of streams and creeks. One thing we do have is a decent amount of 4 lane highways. (2 lanes going each way.) Just about every city is connected by them. A lot more in the southeast.

But that's a general overview of PA. 13 million people live in this state and between the southeast and Pittsburgh area more than 10 million people live between them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pennsylvania_Population_Map_Cropped.png

Why do I get the feeling that some of you don't understand what the IBIS map is?

Four islands on a several hundred square kilometer (Or potentially even bigger) map. +

You complain about playability? That's what we have render and view distance settings for.

AI pathing? It's not like he has to rebuild them from scratch. It's a merger of the four most popular maps from his arsenal.

Even as an American who would -love- to have a map that represents a small part of 'Murica.. I'd have voted for IBIS every time.

N'Ziwasogo is 400 km square w/ over 3.5 million objects and it runs fine on my rig. I don't see how four islands, spaced far enough apart to not render in view of each other, is an issue.

It could even have Tonal :P

Either way, new IceBreaker maps.. I'm happy either way.

In production: Rowalla, Balkania, Keystone and Tonal. They are huge projects and any help is very welcome... about the guy complaining that my islands are only made with default objects - he's just wrong. I used a lot of Mondkalb's work and others (guess he didn't play any of them...). So far only three guys delivered buildings after words, and two of them work for BIS ;)

Of course, if someone makes a quality buildings pack I'm eager to help with blueprints, reference shots...

Good luck, glad to see the map I voted for is included.:bounce3: Can't wait to see some screenshots.

Oh my god yes.

!!! IceBreakr you are offically arma 3 mapping god !!! :cool:

Hopefully someone can help you with buildings.. I would do it myself if my 3d modelling skills were up to par.

Good luck and great to hear.

Of course, if someone makes a quality buildings pack I'm eager to help with blueprints, reference shots...

I think the guy who currently works on his Nova Zona terrain is designing his own buildings, if you might want to help each other.

I'm VERY glad you are working on Tonal... Now we only need Nagual back to make missions on it :)