Sign in to follow this  
laxemann

LAxemann's A3 Artillery rangetables and manual firing crash course

mortar.png

Image by BI

LAxemann's rangetables

Hey peeps,

one of my favourite toys in ACE2 were the mortars or to be more precise, the mortar system.

The vanilla ArmA3, however, comes with no rangetables and has an artillery computer enabled by default,

which cripples the art of using artillery to a "click and kill"-kinda thingy.

I therefore began to make (basic) rangetables for the A3 artillery.

I fired two shots with the same elevation and measured the impact distance via script,

the average distance was then taken.

The distances were measured on the flat VR terrain, so keep in mind that all values

won't be 100% accurate when you're above or below your target, but they're

very helpful guidelines!

Finished rangetables:

MK6 (82mm) mortar

More rangetables to come

You can use artillery without the artillery computer? How?!

First, put

enableEngineArtillery false;

into your init.sqf. This is not required, but disables the default artillery computer.

Ingame, you'll have to get the following information:

• The distance to your target

• The direction to the target

• The height difference between you and your target

Where can you get that intel? Well, from your team mates, for example ("manual mortaring" requires teamplay).

Now get into your mortar and check out the following picture:

hcjvfrg4j5k6.jpg

(355 is your azimuth, btw)

The rest is straight forward.

Make your mortar face the direction to your target and check my rangetables for the distance to the target.

You can switch between the distance modes (near, medium, far) by pressing F/Switch Fire Mode.

You can alter the elevation by pressing page up/page down.

We assume our target is ~1800m away, bearing 155, on flat terrain (unlikely :P).

• We rotate our mortar so that the centered azimuth indicator says "155"

• We check the rangetables and find out that 1794m require an elevation of 58.00 in "medium" solution mode.

• We switch to "medium" (remember? By pressing F!) and use page up/page down to either raise or lower our Elevation (ELV) to 58.00

• We fire, then we wait...

• We get a report from our forward obsever (good effect on target/ adjust left, bla)

• We adjust our settings according to what our forward observer told us

• Repeat...

I hope that helps some of you and that this is the right corner for stuff like this.

Greetings,

LAxe

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Near the end of your range for any given charge, the shell will come down at around a ~45 degree angle. (Since air resistance is not a factor.) That means that for every 1 meter of elevation difference, you will be one meter short or far.

Now take a look at this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aobq29XGqr-9dFNmMk40QWxPY29JQUVjamlUb0djbVE&usp=sharing

THE DATA IN THE ABOVE TABLE IS CORRUPTED. Some of that will be obvious (high altitude short range particularly) but I believe the entire tables for short/mid are wrong because their muzzle velocities were changed since those tables were made in early a3 alpha. For ground level far charge I suspect it's correct but not so much I'd trust it in a mission.

But as a format it provides a very nice lookup for the exact values you need when you know the altitude difference.

May I put in a special request? Not sure if it's possible for you or not and just something I'd love to see.

Could you do one for the RDS Static Weapons pack for the M119 Howitzer? Is it possible to have it Analog?

Otherwise it's awesome work what you've done so far.

Hi !

Finally, someone got interested in this !

We found some equations to provide data for accurate motar fire : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjJW8d6Ffy2ndEQyaF9SSUdpVWZvWk1jaFc4WGcwT1E#gid=70

It's in french, but i think you guys could understand french words like "Elevation", "Distance", "Altitude" and "Angle" Good ! you speak French now !

Anyway, from any flat terrain, it's OK. But when there's a little angle, you just can't check this inclination and adjust the values.

So i tried to make a simple addon that levels the mortar but couldn't find a way. I've never done that anyway...

For the love of air resistance in ballistics, would you help me with it ?

greetings, we are currently stumbled and can't resolve height difference corrections..

is there any equasion to do that reliably?