HorribleGoat

Lost Dragons - Total Modification Alpha

5 hours ago, HorribleGoat said:

Not too hard I think but timeconsuming. We have considered such units possible addition, but got no plans for them yet.

Also put together a render of the arm movement! 

The current dimensions of the torso would make it about 10 meters tall, but the initial idea on paper was to make it maybe 4-6 meters tall, so some scaling might happen.

This looks awesome and I´m very much interested in how you pull the whole thing off :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, x3kj said:

humanoid robot units would actually be kinda simple to do, even simpler than real humans since the weightpainting is very straight forward (only rigid pieces)

Indeed, thats why we are optimistic that they too will work!

3 hours ago, lumnuon said:

This looks awesome and I´m very much interested in how you pull the whole thing off :)

Our plan is to utilize the same man+tank combo that the other walkers use, meaning that the legs are a man unit with man movement and the torso is a a tank unit with drivers seat where from the legs are then controlled. The torso will carry the weapons better as a tank and we should be able to control the arm poses too fairly simply so that we can have it switch between different modes like gun on the hip, gun up aiming, gun down resting etc. Also we can have multiple weapon systems like wrist and torso mounted weapons and all kinds of other equipment. 

I will however try to get back to the main features but this little sidetracking was necessary I think to keep the creative process going!

• Like 2

To kick off new year 2017: The UV-mapped exterior of the WK-209 Almost ready to be set up in game!

Last version in game was the 3-man crew V4 that received the latest arm upgrade and the V6 is the latest arrival of the design process derived from the 2 seated V5 with slightly improved geometry and compatibility with the internal structure model.

We will be setting the exterior model up in game and trial the internal structure damage model in the future. If it happens to work, we will have amazing damage modeling and if it does not, the interior pieces will decorate factory lines.

LoDR_Opfor_WK_209_06_WIP_01.png

• Like 8

Quick question : will that baby include hidden selections?

I see that you're using the CSAT green hex pattern; being able to retexture the walker so it can be used with other factions would be totally awesome.

Either way, I can't wait to put my sweety palms on the thing!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, haleks said:

Quick question : will that baby include hidden selections?

I see that you're using the CSAT green hex pattern; being able to retexture the walker so it can be used with other factions would be totally awesome.

Either way, I can't wait to put my sweety palms on the thing!

Eventually yes it (and just about all our assets) will have hidden selections for variant/ retexture purposes! (The hex camo has nothing to do with CSAT though.. Its completely custom pattern made on top of jungle images ;D)

I do have to admit though that the UVmaps are not really optimized for texture editing as they are partly automatically packed and partly hand tweaked, but since we use 3D coat to paint in 3D we have no need for much texture editing in paint programs.

I also felt little nostalgic here this morning as I loaded up the V06 in Blender and got to thinking how much change this single vehicle has gone through since the first iteration of our Arma walker concept.

Heres a comparison shot of the weetiny WK-209 V01 next to the hulking V06 it has grown into in these past couple of years!

WK-209_06_and_01_Comparison_01.1.png

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-dragons/images/wk-209-v06v01-comparison

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HorribleGoat said:

Eventually yes it (and just about all our assets) will have hidden selections for variant/ retexture purposes! (The hex camo has nothing to do with CSAT though.. Its completely custom pattern made on top of jungle images ;D)

Nice, and interesting to see that the camo you came up with is not so different from the CSAT one. ;)

I can't help but picturing little green chineese men swanking around that beauty, haha. ^^

• Like 1

The one on the right made it into the real world via 3d printing, didn't it? 

On 1/4/2017 at 3:58 PM, HorribleGoat said:

I do have to admit though that the UVmaps are not really optimized for texture editing as they are partly automatically packed and partly hand tweaked, but since we use 3D coat to paint in 3D we have no need for much texture editing in paint programs.

I've found that's probably the single best way to deal with seams. Or areas that cut across them. Trying to do a camo pattern that's mindful of seams is extremely laborious using an image editor. It's always a tedious back and forth process.

I get by with the limited texture tools in Blender.

I know at least one other person using 3d coat. It looks like a great application.

• Like 2

i think, of course depending on overall complexity, that as long as you provide a template with some type of procedural color coding (probably the wrong term), it should be reasonably easy enough to do reskins.

talking about this kind fo thing:

fetch.php?media=quixelprimer_0007_pg_02_

armor.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/5/2017 at 6:40 PM, Macser said:

The one on the right made it into the real world via 3d printing, didn't it? 

I've found that's probably the single best way to deal with seams. Or areas that cut across them. Trying to do a camo pattern that's mindful of seams is extremely laborious using an image editor. It's always a tedious back and forth process.

I get by with the limited texture tools in Blender.

I know at least one other person using 3d coat. It looks like a great application.

Yeah I love 3D coat though I seriously need to memory upgrade. 16Gb just doesn't cut it anymore. :D

11 hours ago, bad benson said:

i think, of course depending on overall complexity, that as long as you provide a template with some type of procedural color coding (probably the wrong term), it should be reasonably easy enough to do reskins.

talking about this kind fo thing:

fetch.php?media=quixelprimer_0007_pg_02_

armor.jpg

This Is pretty much How I code the different areas in the first place for different materials so mask templates like this are totally achievable!

• Like 1

HUD progress! Aiming to hide just about all the normal HUD stuff. Just got to figure out how.

20170109184932 1

• Like 9

look for a class that has the same name as turretInfoType (e.g. "RscWeaponRangeZeroing") in some rsc main class or something (dont remember the name). It defines for example the direction/"radar" you see on top.

One thing to consider is that in 3rd person you wont have any info if you remove the vanilla stuff.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, x3kj said:

look for a class that has the same name as turretInfoType (e.g. "RscWeaponRangeZeroing") in some rsc main class or something (dont remember the name). It defines for example the direction/"radar" you see on top.

One thing to consider is that in 3rd person you wont have any info if you remove the vanilla stuff.

Yeah I'm working on figuring out the Rsc stuff, got it underway already! Just needed to find a example on how to run them. (My code probably is quite horrible, but if it gets this thing up and running it can be refined later)

The 3rd person stuff could be an issue if we endorsed 3rd person view... ;D Idea is to remove them from the vehicle view only though and replace them with appropriate components in the new HUD and interior screens. I'll tackle 3rd person problem later in one way of  another if such arises.

• Like 1

Greetings! 

This time we would like to present a demonstration video of our progress with new HUD for the WK-209 Combat Walker and selective fire system.

The arm cannons are configured to fire left and right side separately one barrel at a time. Q and E keys are used for the gunner to trigger the guns. Note that the Gunner is free to use his normal weapons simultaneous to the arm guns.

Also showcasing progress with new HUD for the WK-209. Currently there are some kinks like the refracting effects distorting the engine MFD components, which we have reported here:

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T122729

• Like 9

18 hours ago, HorribleGoat said:

Currently there are some kinks like the refracting effects distorting the engine MFD components

This distortion actually looks pretty aesthetic. May be instead of getting rid of it completely, you could utilize it somehow, for example as a hit location indicator (i.e. if enemy's rounds come from the left side the left side of the HUD's circle would be distorted, if the vehicle is being shot from the back then the lower side would be distorted etc).

• Like 2

I doubt there's too many who would agree , but I think it's actually an interesting visual side effect too. It makes it look like some kind of technical anomaly or aberration in the optics caused by shockwaves. Sure, it'd be great to have some kind of control over it. But considering it's not something constant, I don't find it totally off-putting. :smile_o:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

This distortion actually looks pretty aesthetic. May be instead of getting rid of it completely, you could utilize it somehow, for example as a hit location indicator (i.e. if enemy's rounds come from the left side the left side of the HUD's circle would be distorted, if the vehicle is being shot from the back then the lower side would be distorted etc).

6 hours ago, Macser said:

I doubt there's too many who would agree , but I think it's actually an interesting visual side effect too. It makes it look like some kind of technical anomaly or aberration in the optics caused by shockwaves. Sure, it'd be great to have some kind of control over it. But considering it's not something constant, I don't find it totally off-putting. :smile_o:

Heh, yeah the effect does look cool, but its completely in the wrong place. Like Macser said as there is no proper control over it, its not very usable and also the HUD projection is suppose to be on the pilots helmet or whatnot and the pilot sits inside heavily protected cockpit and the distortion is caused by any refracting effect that happens outside and usually quite far away. Were it actually controllable It could be used as some sort of indicator, but I would not use it on the main HUD lines as those are meant to indicate locking and targeting areas and directions. Distorting them defeats their purpose.

• Like 2

Hello! Showcasing little more of the same as last time!

HUD features are multiplying, this time note the Target Acquisition system with target recognition and info system and the first iteration minimap/ sensor screen

Note the panel at bottom right that currently shows basic info of either the target under crosshairs or the locked on target. This can be expanded in the future to contain any data deemed necessary and also we are testing differnet methods of drawing a target silhouette on it. Also it recognizes only vehicles as targets!

Minimap also has made its entrance on the hud! We are considering keeping the square shape of the map there and perhaps limiting any target icons into the square sensor are. Arma 3 has some very nice new sensor and targeting related updates coming which will definitely make also our special vehicles much better.

• Like 5

For those who didn't know my GPU resigned couple of days ago after 3.5 years of service and Im waiting for a new one to arrive soon.

In the meantime I've had time to put some ideas on paper!

I drew couple of creature concepts after morning tea today :

The "Crab eating lizard"

Lizzard.jpg

and the Crab!

LeCrab.jpg

and it seems posting via phone works alright too! :D

• Like 4

I'm so glad this mod is still on life-support! Too many good mods falling off the map... I'm excited for Lost Dragons, I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ValkyrieTeiwaz said:

I'm so glad this mod is still on life-support! Too many good mods falling off the map... I'm excited for Lost Dragons, I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Thanks! We are still eagerly at it! Main issue with our progress and lack of release has been the decision to rework everything a couple of times and then the ever expanding list of features we want to make. For example the walkers that we did not even intent to make in the first draft and now they've been the main focus for quite some time! They are not even very essential to the mod as a whole, but making them work is intoxicatingly fun! x9

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HorribleGoat said:

For those who didn't know my GPU resigned couple of days ago after 3.5 years of service and Im waiting for a new one to arrive soon.

In the meantime I've had time to put some ideas on paper!

I drew couple of creature concepts after morning tea today :

The "Crab eating lizard"

and the Crab!

and it seems posting via phone works alright too! :D

So you are not only a talented modder but also a talented concept artist? :)

I can´t wait to see what you come up with, since Sci-Fi creatures would be the cherry on top. We thought about creating a Moa and Guta (Halo creatures) for OPTRE but ultimately decided that it is not only very hard to create but also extremely time consuming.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lumnuon said:

So you are not only a talented modder but also a talented concept artist? :)

I can´t wait to see what you come up with, since Sci-Fi creatures would be the cherry on top. We thought about creating a Moa and Guta (Halo creatures) for OPTRE but ultimately decided that it is not only very hard to create but also extremely time consuming.

:D Something like that :D

I don't think animals would really be that much of work since they need so few animations. 

Eventually we will touch up just about every aspect possible! :D

Also GRAPHICS ONLINE! :D New card arrived today.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HorribleGoat said:

:D Something like that :D

I don't think animals would really be that much of work since they need so few animations. 

Eventually we will touch up just about every aspect possible! :D

Also GRAPHICS ONLINE! :D New card arrived today.

Yeah, but you also have to create the model and rig it and so on. Sadly our team is fairly small too and we already have our plates full.

Have fun with your new GPU :) I also got a new one and suddenly being able to play Arma with a stable 40-50 fps on ultra is just awesome

• Like 1

Back again with little update to the HUD!

This time introducing the Target cam.

The camera currently follows the aim of the gunner and locks on identified targets under the gunners reticle and the ones gunner locks on.

We aim to develop the feature further with adaptive zoom levels that take account the size of the target and also we intent to add UAV type drone camera for targets not in the line of sight.

Satellite linkup could also be possible in this regard.

• Like 3