HorribleGoat

Lost Dragons - Total Modification Alpha

Looking great so far HG. :)

How much lateral movement does the setup actually allow? Do quick movements cause the "tank" section to disconnect in game?

The adjusted torso can now turn 360 and controlling the walker is just like controlling a man with all the man class moves, strafe included. Man class turning rate is little problematic though as with mouse you can turn man class units with mouse in so fast speeds the crewviews in the torso can lag behind. We hope to eliminate this behavior with custom keyboard only control scheme for the legs. Mouse could be used to use buttons and screen in the cockpit, but turning and walking would be done with keyboard. (Or if we can limit mouse turn speed like we can keyboard turn speed it will be more simple)

I'm thinking of making 2 strafe modes´: One where the walker takes sideway steps and one where it walks sideways. The steps are more for position adjustment and the sideways walk for combat maneuvers.

So far the torso model has not lagged behind at all in our tests. It is however possible that such will happen on heavily stressed server. However it will never detach itself from the legs even if some lag happens, no matter the movement speed.

Right. Sounds good. Shifting the weight slightly from side to side might help sell the illusion of mass when it's powering up. If it's possible. Nothing drastic. That and a little dip right after each foot contact. That's where the graph editor comes in very handy. :)

• Like 1

Sideways strafe in a huge mech "weighted" would look awesome actually. Adds to the big and huge feeling. If you made a simple rotation, it would be too much like Robocop (The Original Version - not that bad remake even though the new ED 209 rocked). It can look outdate for a future weapon in 2035+.

Checkout this movie for some really good designs on the future marine weapons and hardware:

B grade move but really good Military Hardware designs. Almost like Terminator Future War.

The SAR and Drone robots could be inspiration for adversarial types.

• Like 1

Sideways strafe in a huge mech "weighted" would look awesome actually. Adds to the big and huge feeling. If you made a simple rotation, it would be too much like Robocop (The Original Version - not that bad remake even though the new ED 209 rocked). It can look outdate for a future weapon in 2035+.

Checkout this movie for some really good designs on the future marine weapons and hardware:

*snip*

B grade move but really good Military Hardware designs. Almost like Terminator Future War.

The SAR and Drone robots could be inspiration for adversarial types.

I actually saw this movie just recently and have to concur, the robots were very cool and there is a change some smaller independent units will have similar features.

Arma engine however is "slightly" burdnening to do complex characters with so we need to be careful with that so we don't end up melting down..  

Robots, cyborgs, biomechs are all with all kinds of more or less common weapons but we need to get the first ones working properly before making more.

• Like 1

The V5 update of the WK-209 combat walker is hopefully now the last one needed. :D Going to work on bringing the updated model in game and applying some of the new features the updated mesh now allows.

• Like 4

Something else than boring old robots.. :D Got inspired to make the AR-42 reload animation (now that the particular rifle design is locked down)

It could use little tweaking here and there, maybe slightly faster speed. Gotta see it with fresh eyes in the morning.. But all in all the hand animation and weapon part movement is quite well in sync!
  • Like 5

Started some preliminary texturing on the WK-209 V5 tandem cockpit.

There's going to be a lot more controls and screens there too, but the current basic form is enough for demo use and feature development.

WK-209_V5_Cockpit_Wip_01X.png

Progress continues.

• Like 5

Combined the updated and re-UV-mapped mesh and made sure all parts move as intended.  

Seeing it all work I got inspired to try out a simplified "get in" animation sequence, to see if there is actually enough room to move and the ladder steps are ok etc etc..  

Now the sequence while not perfect became pretty cool and I wanted to share it with you!  Though it is not certain that animation like this will work in Arma we will try nevertheless!

• Like 6

I love this mod. Keep up the great work!

• Like 2

Waiting (im)patiently for the next update of this wonderfull mod... ;)

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

I have a shit-ton of projects for Lost Dragons!

• Like 3

I've been building the map concept in 3D and it helps greatly to shape up the vision I've been seeing in my mind.

The 20x20 kilometer map is so vast and also so small for some features will be sizeable too and sometimes it feels that I can barely fit in all I want there to be.

I keep constantly envisioning pushing the map boundaries further and making it larger to properly show the massive scale of things, but maybe one day when this is finished I can try it.
ince the "meager" 20x20 is really more than enough work to fill...

LoDR_MapConcepting_01.png

• Like 2

I don't think there's anything wrong with smaller maps as long as there's something to do. Like the silent cartographer map in the original Halo. Very small. But with objectives to complete it's not really something that preoccupies. The same could be said for the original Ghost recon. Much smaller maps than the arma series is used to. But good missions with clear objectives take the attention away from it.

Vast landscapes are great for a bit of exploring. But without something to actually do, the novelty can wear off fairly quickly. :)

• Like 1

I don't think there's anything wrong with smaller maps as long as there's something to do. Like the silent cartographer map in the original Halo. Very small. But with objectives to complete it's not really something that preoccupies. The same could be said for the original Ghost recon. Much smaller maps than the arma series is used to. But good missions with clear objectives take the attention away from it.

Vast landscapes are great for a bit of exploring. But without something to actually do, the novelty can wear off fairly quickly. :)

That is very true! Though the bigger size would be more for me than anyone else. :D Since there's so much stuff I would want to make an put there.

I tend to get "little" megalomaniac with the map sometimes.. And with the terrain features... I wonder if the map is playable at all when its finshed...

Waiting (im)patiently for the next update of this wonderfull mod... ;)

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

I have a shit-ton of projects for Lost Dragons!

Im curious, is this a big ass mothafucking ship, or is it just a huge ass wall designet to look like the back of the ship to fool idiots like me?

Im curious, is this a big ass mothafucking ship, or is it just a huge ass wall designet to look like the back of the ship to fool idiots like me?

It is the Dragon class warship that is the main goal of the gamemode "Treasure Hunt". It is more an interactive building than a ship though as it is so vast in size. It is doubtful Arma would be able to manage vehicle of that size.

The one in that picture is the old alpha version we released a while ago.

2014-10-22_00009.jpg

It was about 1000 meters long back then and the new V2 version is little longer

BlenderRender_02.2.png  BlenderRender_03.png

• Like 2

Friendly advice when placing Dragons in your missions : make sure that the objects view distance is greater than the terrain view distance.

It will avoid some nasty clipping issues (the engine doesn't seem to account for the size of objects).

• Like 1

Friendly advice when placing Dragons in your missions : make sure that the objects view distance is greater than the terrain view distance.

It will avoid some nasty clipping issues (the engine doesn't seem to account for the size of objects).

Yeah it does not. The Dragon we released was just for show. :9

The real one we've planned on building from pieces so it does not clip out of sight so easily and for other usability factors.

• Like 1

Yeah it does not. The Dragon we released was just for show. :9

The real one we've planned on building from pieces so it does not clip out of sight so easily and for other usability factors.

Hell yeah, I can't wait to take a walk right under these beasts!

• Like 1

Hell yeah, I can't wait to take a walk right under these beasts!

How about inside? ;D

• Like 3

How about inside? ;D

INSIDE?!!? STOP THIS!   IM GETTING TOO EXCITED NOW!!!!!

And i tought the one ingame now was massive....

Please, this is not good for me. 

• Like 1

INSIDE?!!? STOP THIS!   IM GETTING TOO EXCITED NOW!!!!!

And i tought the one ingame now was massive....

Please, this is not good for me. 

Can't stop! It already has a life of its own! Even fire does not stop it!! :D

And yes inside. How else could you capture it if you don't go in it?

• Like 2