Sign in to follow this  
sgtsev3n

what is the most annoying thing for you in arma 3 ?

what is the most annoying thing for you in arma 3 ?  

344 members have voted

1. 1. what is the most annoying thing for you in arma 3 ?

• 1. AI Bugs (Bad Driving, Aiming/Aimbotting, See through grass/bushes etc)
    • 2. Low CPU utilization & Low FPS (SP/MP)
    • 3. Multiplayer Servers with RPG, Altis life, Zombie & Similar gamemodes.
    • 4. Missing Features.

I've been playing quite a lot of KOTH past two weeks which has become a rather popular gamemode for Arma3 and noticed several things that took away some of the fun.

The HuD in jets/choppers is seriously lacking. No squares on potential targets, no working reticles for dumb bombs and cannon.

No way to hide server messages. On popular servers with a lot of traffic, the chat becomes useless as its a constant spam of connecting, connected, disconnected, kicked for what reason ect.. ect..

Loads of collision issues, I quite often get stuck in door frames and stairs when I don't fall to my death slidding down from an elevated position or ejected from ruins of blown up houses.

Inventory keeps opening on single weapons, rather than showing the full inventory of the body you're trying to loot.

Many, many crashes on W8.1 64bits. I have thirty four rather recent games installed on my computer. Only Arma3 crashes like that...

Edited by dunedain

~Snakes on the tarmac! Too much of a good thing, snakes, on these islands. Would be much better if they were rare, maybe encountering them like 10 times per 1000 hours gaming. That would still be 1000x then real life.

~ Scrolling on the Configure/Expansion Menu. The sole reason I rehit this thread. Some times you need to disable a shitload of mods to try a new one only to have to check them, scroll back to the top, scroll back down to hit the next one......*punches brain*

I know I could disable in once clean swoop in the config but this really need to be updated to just not move the screen while we are selecting/unselecting.

/rant

~ Scrolling on the Configure/Expansion Menu. The sole reason I rehit this thread. Some times you need to disable a shitload of mods to try a new one only to have to check them, scroll back to the top, scroll back down to hit the next one......*punches brain*

I know I could disable in once clean swoop in the config but this really need to be updated to just not move the screen while we are selecting/unselecting.

/rant

That menu is a joke, and I doubt they'll do anything to it now that there's the splendid launcher. There you can enable/disable all mods at once or one by one while the list stays still!

Definitely the weak/superhuman AI.

It makes coop a very painful and unrealistic experience. For a game that prides itself on being a sandbox with a strong coop base, the miserable AI situation is disheartening to say the least. I don't see a major improvement anytime soon, since that coop focus has totally shifted in the community towards PvP. Though I think a lot of that comes from the shoddy AI and lack of a suitable coop option therefore. The AI was sufficient in 2006, but it just looks heavily dated and cheaty by 2014 standards.

They STILL can't balance AI accuracy out of the box to be reasonable. I play coop often enough, and the second difficulty settings go past novice the AI become 99% accurate headshotters. That's the most frustrating.

But the fact the AI still look and feel like cheap automatons is the worst of it, since at least accuracy can be tweaked by mission makers (though it seems few can be bothered to set the params reasonably).

If I compare the look/feel of Arma AI to those in other FPS/etc games, it's just depressing. "Clunky" doesn't begin to explain it. At some point making the AI at least LOOK human in behavior is more important for immersion than making them ACT human (though having human-level shooting abilities shouldn't be this hard). By that I mean they don't need to be tactical masters (mostly that should be the mission maker's priority or ZGM's), just the way they move should not be like a 1950s robot.

These bots need a major reboot/overhaul, and the current stabs at it just aren't satisfying that.

Well the AI are not as bad as Incergency, where RPG's are the most commonly used weapons, even more so than rifles... But I'd have to say the most annoying thing in Arma 3... Is timing + human error. I remember being in the right place at the right time about a thousand times, and me screwing up a situation because of something like a misplaced reload, or heal, or get in vehicle, or something silly like that. Or worse, having everything you need to do everything, and suddenly dying to something like trying to get away from a vehicle before it completely explodes. Or driving 12 clicks, hitting a mis placed fence because it happened to be the best hidden, and still having 3 clicks to go on foot with too much gear and the mission is almost crucial for survival, but someone gets it before you and you still have 1.5 clicks to go on foot, and you open map but the nearest town is 2 clicks, so you just disconnect. Lol,

Or wait. The ultimate. Most annoying thing for me in the Arma series to date... Is when you have an enemy in your sights, and you have that shot to kill, and you take it, but your game freezes for a split second. Now your dead instead, because that 1-3 seconds of what ever the fuck froze your game when you wanted that first bullet out of your barrel as into the enemies chest, now screwed you over. When it comes back, your either dead, close to being dead, or compromised because that have given away your position. It's the absolute worst when it's CQB. You see a guy, you aim, but he sees you and your both about to fire. You fire first, it freezes, and when it comes back your on the resplendent screen. That right there, kills. Deep most frustration (unless in hyper or drunk) awakens. But hey, Arma is still a good game, something good cones along every so often.

Well the AI are not as bad as Incergency, where RPG's are the most commonly used weapons, even more so than rifles... But I'd have to say the most annoying thing in Arma 3... Is timing + human error. I remember being in the right place at the right time about a thousand times, and me screwing up a situation because of something like a misplaced reload, or heal, or get in vehicle, or something silly like that. Or worse, having everything you need to do everything, and suddenly dying to something like trying to get away from a vehicle before it completely explodes. Or driving 12 clicks, hitting a mis placed fence because it happened to be the best hidden, and still having 3 clicks to go on foot with too much gear and the mission is almost crucial for survival, but someone gets it before you and you still have 1.5 clicks to go on foot, and you open map but the nearest town is 2 clicks, so you just disconnect. Lol,

Or wait. The ultimate. Most annoying thing for me in the Arma series to date... Is when you have an enemy in your sights, and you have that shot to kill, and you take it, but your game freezes for a split second. Now your dead instead, because that 1-3 seconds of what ever the fuck froze your game when you wanted that first bullet out of your barrel as into the enemies chest, now screwed you over. When it comes back, your either dead, close to being dead, or compromised because that have given away your position. It's the absolute worst when it's CQB. You see a guy, you aim, but he sees you and your both about to fire. You fire first, it freezes, and when it comes back your on the resplendent screen. That right there, kills. Deep most frustration (unless in hyper or drunk) awakens. But hey, Arma is still a good game, something good cones along every so often.

You sure constant freezing on zoom-in for aiming is not your technical problem? Try installing A3 on a SSD. Makes for some smooth LOD loading.

---------- Post added at 07:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 ----------

Definitely the weak/superhuman AI.

It makes coop a very painful and unrealistic experience. For a game that prides itself on being a sandbox with a strong coop base, the miserable AI situation is disheartening to say the least. I don't see a major improvement anytime soon, since that coop focus has totally shifted in the community towards PvP. Though I think a lot of that comes from the shoddy AI and lack of a suitable coop option therefore. The AI was sufficient in 2006, but it just looks heavily dated and cheaty by 2014 standards.

They STILL can't balance AI accuracy out of the box to be reasonable. I play coop often enough, and the second difficulty settings go past novice the AI become 99% accurate headshotters. That's the most frustrating.

But the fact the AI still look and feel like cheap automatons is the worst of it, since at least accuracy can be tweaked by mission makers (though it seems few can be bothered to set the params reasonably).

If I compare the look/feel of Arma AI to those in other FPS/etc games, it's just depressing. "Clunky" doesn't begin to explain it. At some point making the AI at least LOOK human in behavior is more important for immersion than making them ACT human (though having human-level shooting abilities shouldn't be this hard). By that I mean they don't need to be tactical masters (mostly that should be the mission maker's priority or ZGM's), just the way they move should not be like a 1950s robot.

These bots need a major reboot/overhaul, and the current stabs at it just aren't satisfying that.

Still, even with all the shortcomings, Arma AI is one of the most advanced in games industry in terms of using cover, adapting the environment, flanking, their vision being obstructed by environmental objects, etc.

The closest is STALKER series. However, bushes and other vegetation there don't affect AI that much. STALKER AI cannot operate as a team, flank properly, they're too aggressive and, in some cases (Mods like Misery 2.1), complete aim-bots.

I know F.E.A.R. has a cool in-door AI, but that's it. Could you name more impressive games that have done their r&D on AI properly?

AI is in the same time best I ever seen in games and most annoying for me in A3. Once I tried to name and list all the things that IMO should be added/removed/changed/fixed/enhanced in the AI (mostly to make it more human-like). After that I realized, to achieve such "perfection" they probably have to do "select all & delete" the AI code and start from the scratch. Or start from the scratch wholly new, parallel alternative AI development, a new approach to the problem. Yes, despite, its currently best AI I know in the games, I would welcome such enterprise. Cause lies in the roots IMHO. AFAIK current AI is result of dozen years of evolution. So current form must be still burdened and limited by bad choices made unknowingly at the beginning, it still drags legacy of its infancy. At least that's my impression. "Educated" guess. I have personal experience, how much such design decisions may limit further development on advanced stage. Some things, supposedly obvious, may be impossible or absurdly hard to achieve. It's because the code designed for one thing, becomes more, than it was intended once. Can't be achieved anything one could want just by patching, bending, gluing and expanding. Some limits are just too deep hardcoded. To put it simply sometimes total reset is easier/better way.

Most annoying ArmA 3 thing?

I would have to say the incessant whining and complaining on the A3 forums, is the most annoying thing. A sad place when 30% of posts and threads are complaints and whining.

All other serious issues pale in comparison to the above ...

Issues such as:

- System messages in MP, spamming the chat box. Combine that with broken VON == a horrible situation for communication in public MP. Communication mechanics should be a high priority in any game, but a game that makes an effort to simulate warfare ... Communication realism, functionality and bug-free mechanics should be of the highest priority. Instead we are unable to talk over Side Channel, and typing is a chore as 9/10ths of typed messages on a busy server get completely drowned out by BattlEye and server systemchat messages. These messages were clearly created and tested by one person alone in a singleplayer room, oblivious to the sheer number of systemchat messages that spam the chat in a 50-100 player MP session.

The radio should actually do something and there should be basic simulation of real HF radio built into the game. A radio operator unit, with real functionality. Radio operator is very important dynamic in real life, and we are missing out on this great battlespace dynamic.

2/10 Ability to communicate in MP without TS, and 1/10 simulation of radio.

- Structure of AI FSM

2/10. Feels like the AI, while have some fancy routines, are still in a first-pass situation. I can see room for massive improvement in AI performance and thus potential for more complexity. Such as the below:

Each AI unit creates a new FSM thread for its behaviour. This is horrible for performance with so many undisciplined/unstructured/unscheduled threads trying to cram their evaluations through the CPU all at once. Instead, a scheduler array for each Group should be created, and the FSM should be evaluated one at a time. Thereby drastically reducing the AI load on the CPU. I'm sure we don't need hundreds of evaluations per second for each AI, we can get away with just 80-100 per second per AI and save literally 10x performance without losing anything. In fact, would even GAIN AI ability due to less CPU loading. Instead of 100 AI before the server chokes, we could have 1000, or save that CPU for FPS gain or whatever.

That's pretty much it. There are lots of other quirks but those strike me as some of most important for both the MP and SP experience.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Each AI unit creates a new FSM thread for its behaviour.

Indeed, I would like to know, what thinking lies behind such design. Also they ("they" == some random people on the net supposedly knowing the stuff) are saying, FSM for AI is obsolete as too limiting/rigid/hermetic anyway? Personally never liked FSMs. Made a few, but that scripting always was started from SQF and only after that translated into FSM. Then I wondered, what was in fact the gain here, except getting code into not scheduled environment. Perhaps similar question could be asked for regular AI programming.

Edited by Rydygier

For me, one of the most annoying things in A3 is when I go and fire a AA Missile at a jet, only to have it flare and my missile just veers off in some random direction away from the jet. Sometimes into the ground in front of me. Call it a pet peeve but missiles just don't work like that! Take a look at DCS, you fire and IR Missile at an A10 and it drops some flares the missile will track one of the flares and fly into it, NOT Veer off some 50+degrees into the sky or ground.

Wait one year and more for the game to be debugged ??

I don't know if it just me or the nostalgia... but since last 10/5 years I feel tired to see Alpha, Beta, bravo, Zoro etc... versions of games... (BI is not the only one to do that know).

I know the process and the games are now more and more advanced technologies but this is not a reason to release something to be far from finish... It is so frustating because once the game is "playable/funny" nobody plays any more on it...

Still, even with all the shortcomings, Arma AI is one of the most advanced in games industry in terms of using cover, adapting the environment, flanking, their vision being obstructed by environmental objects, etc.

The closest is STALKER series. However, bushes and other vegetation there don't affect AI that much. STALKER AI cannot operate as a team, flank properly, they're too aggressive and, in some cases (Mods like Misery 2.1), complete aim-bots.

I know F.E.A.R. has a cool in-door AI, but that's it. Could you name more impressive games that have done their r&D on AI properly?

Yes, STALKER series certainly gets my vote for better AI, especially since it's equally easy to tweak, and there's been equally good mods put out to improve upon it.

The big difference is that, while the STALKER AI might not be quite as tactically competent as Arma's at large-scale combat, they at least appear human most of the time. A lot of that has to do with animations, okay so be it, but the fact is they don't just stand motionless, but are usually moving, even if just minutely. They aren't nearly as robotic, though they can be quite stupid, like making a conga line into an obvious killzone. The animal AI is also quite appealing. Also the fact that, Misery aside, the vanilla AI have realistic aiming and spotting abilities is a HUGE PLUS.

Again, I'm not talking about the tactical quality of the AI. I don't think that other games do it better in that department, certainly not at this scale/openness.

Another series I think of is Splinter Cell. Obviously, the AI have less to worry about there, but again it's not tactics so much as appearance. The Splinter Cell bots all look, feel, and sound HUMAN. Their detection isn't just on/off. They investigate, they react to potential sightings of an enemy differently from definite ones. If you shoot at them, they don't just stand around sucking their thumbs or walking in circles slowly, or conversely immediately spotting and sniping you at 400m with a 4x optic. They don't just get stuck in one pose, without moving, or scanning their heads robotically, as soon as you set them off.

I don't need Arma's AI to be human in thought. I don't need them to be able to figure out the best way to flank my position or to be stealthy or to use concealment intelligently to flank unseen. That's probably beyond the average CPU's ability given the rest it's assigned to do in this game, and I'm mostly content with their current abilities, certainly when modded. I just want them to not be obvious robots with obvious "switches", like how a player is totally invisible beyond X meters and then suddenly is instantly visible within it, or with inhuman movements, or inhuman accuracy and spotting ability (and on/off at that, with seemingly no intermediate steps).

It's like they see a flash in the distance. A human-like bot would "think", "oh, is that an enemy, or perhaps a friendly, or just a civilian, or a bird with some tinsel in its beak?"; the current AI goes "ENEMY ACQUIRED, RANGE 500m, FIRING... DEAD. 0.652 SECONDS BETWEEN SIGHTING AND KILL, GOOD JOB. RETURNING TO NORMAL STATE. STANDING AND TURNING. WALKING IN FORMATION. SPEED 5MPH. ALL CIRCUITS FUNCTIONAL." You know, it's either AWARE or COMBAT, nothing in between, no spectrum.

Currently, the most annoying thing is the game auto-switching my textures to low because I only have 1gb of VRAM. When I first bought Arma 3 one year ago, this thing wasn't happening at all, maybe just in MP. But now, after a couple of latest "updates", as soon as I enter a map like Cherno or Bornholm even in editor, my textures turn to crap in one instant. Why the hell do we need this auto limit ? If I want to put everything on very high and ultra in order to get the perfect screenshot, I should be able to do that. This has become so annoying that I was very close to uninstalling this worst optimised game ever.

most annoying for me, people comparing arma to battlefield or even CoD. Some do even say, BF is more realistic game then arma lol.

Most annoying thing for me in the game is:

1. The drunken sway, I absolutely hate it, prone isn't to bad but id prefer no sway at all I dont care if thats realistic or not, I dont want it.

2. The gun closure sounds, I hate that clap after each shot made, who's idea was that, or is that a bug?, its annoying and i dont recall ever seeing a vid of guns firing having a f*cked up sound like that.

3. Aimbot AI, Ai being dead sniper accurate as f*ck, base game on default without you adjusting anything should have the AI at least not as accurate.

No effort being made into improving combat vehicles...

When you play as infantry everything is new, as soon as you hop into a tank it's basically Arma 1 with different textures.

Still the same ridiculous magical radar, no weapon firing control systems, driver is still forced inside a miniature periscope with absolutely zero interaction with the environment (i get modeling interiors is time intensive, why can't we just have a moving periscope like the one of the commander?), still the same lame targeting system where you hit Tab or R and a magical square or circle appear in your face out of nowhere and are completely out of place compared to the weapon camera, the fact that every vehicle is impervious to anything under a tank round or a missile to deal proper damage.

Anyway it looks like BIS has doubled in size as a company this year, so i hope we'll get to see more with the upcoming expansion. :cool:

The most annoying thing for me is certainly the inconsistent AI. Sometimes it is really good, sometimes it doesn't even know how to shoot!

1. The level of optimization considering what year it is. *It's time for a new engine.* 2. A knee high chicken wire fence will never disable a vehicle. A chain link fence will never disable a military tanker truck. *It seems like the only simulation in the game is guns shoot bullets.* 3. Since you are forever injured in this game, how about at least add broken bones, etc... For someone to be able to heal their own gunshot wounds is extraordinary, but to be shot and never become incapacitated in any way until death is unheard of. At least allow yourself to fully heal so the grunting and sucking wind effects can take a break. *Again, simulation lacking.* 4. The AI. It's a P.I.T.A. to gear your own team. I go out on scouting missions to bring back good stuff, but when I get in the truck and check them out, they are using the crap I've been trying to throw away. As for the eagle eyed, rock steady under pressure, laser beam accurate, 95% consistent enemy AI, after the previous issues, I have nothing to add.

I just got this game and one of the reasons for waiting so long is because I knew they released it early to try and get in on the DayZ fever and figured I would let them work out the bugs. Well, after 5 days and only playing SP since I am still trying to cope with commanding AI, these are my main issues. It's still a fantastic game, but it has some real faults. I know this is going to be ignored, but I had to get it out there just the same.

Happy New Year everybody!

Multiplayer LAG, IT IS UNPLAYABLE!!!!

And the F scroll menu, THE EXACT SAME FROM THE ORIGINAL OFP IN 2001!!!! Seriously BI!!!

NOT COOL AT ALL!

Sorry for caps but i am angry!

There are plenty of things we fix with mods, what we can't fix is the performance. Until that gets fixed this game will forever be annoying. Personally I think it ought to target 60fps average and never below 30fps. Right now its more average 35 fps dropping to low 20's with small games and that just isn't good enough.

There are plenty of things we fix with mods, what we can't fix is the performance. Until that gets fixed this game will forever be annoying. Personally I think it ought to target 60fps average and never below 30fps. Right now its more average 35 fps dropping to low 20's with small games and that just isn't good enough.

This is highly dependent on how many AI units are spawned at any one time. Can get close to 60FPS with no AI, easily so on Stratis. ArmA 3 is optimized fine for its engine. It's some aspects such as AI which have zero optimization. Put 200+ AI into danger/combat mode and your server will choke, thats about all there is to it.

Assuming 200 AI, thats just what happens when you have 200 concurrent per-frame evaluation threads performing not-cheap calculations (ie nearObjects,terrainIntersects,etc). In order to optimize AI, we need to load more AI into less threads. IE One behavior thread per group. It would be a trade-off. An insignificant amount of extra time taken to update behavior logic, in exchange for reasonable FPS increase wherever the AI is local.

Until then, and with a fair bit of experience, I'd say cap your spawned AI to 75-100 AI at any one time, and just find a way to build your scenario around those hard-coded maximums.

Headless client also comes into play here, however just remember loading 100 AI onto the HC CPU is going have the same effect as loading 100 AI onto the server CPU, except with added net traffic since the AI are not local to the server.

Cliffs:

Less AI = more FPS

A3 optimized fine, aside from a few issues.

Old engine, everyone knows this.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Less AI = more FPS

Keep the AI use a caching script which will allow you to have the AI you want but the AI wont be there until your within range.

Couple of things that i recently thought of when i was playing coop over the weekend which is:

1. the fuzzy screen after you respawn in, that i find annoying and gives me a headache.

2. the automatic reload on launchers when you pick up a rocket, whats worse in the midst of battle and your guy stands up when your prone

just to reload is that necessary, can I play, can i reload my own missiles/and rockets when i need them? :j: